PDA

View Full Version : Drivers licence price to high wtf!!

haxer
January 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hello i have a question to all of you guys and girls out here in the ubuntu forums.
Im in progress with drivers licence now and in sweden it costs minimum 14000swedish kr that s 2000$. Thats alot of cash and we have a book with 250pages and like 10tests

thats.

2000$
250pages book
10 tests
1ice driving practice
"driveup"

Whats this like in your country:-k

taurus
January 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM
It seems like if you know how to run on the ignition, you pass the driving test because some people just don't know how to drive here!!! ](*,)

deadgobby
January 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Here in the states it depends. It can be written test and need to make the grade of at least 90% to pass. Then the driving test to make sure you know what you are doing. Yet like in Denmark. If you are caught drinking and driving you are bar for life for ever driving again. Here in the states you get a slap and have to take courses to regain your lic.
Gobby

Wartooth
January 18th, 2007, 05:15 PM
This will sound horrible, but I wish it were a LOT more difficult to get a license in the United States. We have too many people driving who should not be. Here, all you have to know is how to OPERATE the car, not necessarily know how to DRIVE it.

A German friend and I were comparing what we went through to get our licenses recently. I can only imagine the uproar there would be here if states required people to know basic first aid in order to get a license. Ha!

EdThaSlayer
January 18th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Here in Kenya you just give the guy "kidogo pesa"(a little money) and you can get your drivers license without going through the test. Normally it costs around 10,000 ksh which is around $120.
Probably the main reason why there are so many car crashes here.

haxer
January 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hmm.. but we have 2000$ and us has 10$ is that right? and kenya has 120$ we have like almost 20X more than you guys :( its horrible expencive i think but i see it like an investment becuse "drivers licence " is freedom to 8)

MrHorus
January 18th, 2007, 06:11 PM
i see it like an investment becuse "drivers licence " is freedom to 8)

Is freedom to what, destroy the planet for the next generation?

haxer
January 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
No thats not right to say .. its a freedom to take you from point A to point B okay that the gases destroys the planet but shouldnt we care about it before? Hiroshima? Vietnam? IRAQ? :-k

MrHorus
January 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
No thats not right to say .. its a freedom to take you from point A to point B okay that the gases destroys the planet but shouldnt we care about it before? Hiroshima? Vietnam? IRAQ? :-k

Hiroshima was 60-odd years ago, Vietnam 40-odd and Iraq ongoing.

I walk to and from work every day and use public transport every single time I go anywhere that I can't walk to - that's the positive impact and the difference that *I* can make every single day.

taurus
January 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Driving is not a freedom or your rights, it's a privilege. Ride a bike!!!

haxer
January 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Ride a bike from sweden to germany i will get there some year but i might be to old to drive bike back :)

blackened
January 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Doesn't Europe have an interconnected train system? You could take a train from Sweden to Germany no?

Anyway, here in Oklahoma, US, it costs about $20 to take the written and driving tests if I remember correctly.

_simon_
January 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
It's changed since I passed but here in the UK you have to do:

(Prices taken from Driving Standards Agency Website)

Obtain Provisional Licence - just fill out paperwork (£38.00 / $75.02)
Theory Test (£21.50 / $42.43)
ADI Hazard Test (£20.50 / $40.46)
Practical Test (£48.50 / $95.74 weekdays before 4:30pm and £58.00 / $114.50 after + weekends)

Driving lessons are normally 1 hour long and cost about £25.00 / $49.35 per hour.
Normally they suggest you have 1 or 2 lessons per week. The average length that people take lessons for is 31 hours.

Once you pass you then exchange your provisional licence for a full licence. I believe this is now free but when I passed about 7 years ago there was another fee for it! However, back then we did not have the Hazard test.

Based on these costs and average times it would cost someone in the UK: £903.50 / $1783.68

qalimas
January 18th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I'm in the states (Louisiana), it took $125 for a full driving course, and only cost I think $20 to take my test and get my license...

I couldn't imagine coming up with $2000 at 17/18/19 to get a license o.o

azkehmm
January 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Ride a bike from sweden to germany i will get there some year but i might be to old to drive bike back :)

Buy an interrail ticket instead, then. You have free acces to trains in a part/all of europe for 1500-4000 Dkr for a month!

Sure, a drivers license is nice to have, but a car is just too darn expensive, and as long as they use fossile fuel, I won't be the one to drive one...

david_2001
January 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
If I was in charge, any able-bodied person who wanted to learn to drive a car would have to pass their motorcycle test first and gain at least a year's riding experience (minimum 4,000 miles or the metric equivalent) before being allowed to take their first driving lesson!

mips
January 18th, 2007, 11:14 PM
It seems like if you know how to run on the ignition, you pass the driving test because some people just don't know how to drive here!!! ](*,)

Lol, I´m glad you said it and not me. Your countrymen really cannot drive. then again out taxi drivers are not better.

You guys should make it compulsory for everybody to go and do a driving course in western europe or even in my home country but then again you could buy a license here under the table.

EDIT:
Over here a license is relatively cheap.
First you have to get a learners license which involves a multiple choice test & a eye test. This you can get at age 16 now (used to be 17) for a car. this allows you to drive with a licensed individual in the car with you.

Now you go for driving lessons with an instructor, you don´t have to but most people do as there are things you have to learn.

Once you are confident that you know all the driving rules etc you can go for your drivers test at the age of 18yrs. this involves vehicle pre-checks for road worthiness and safety followed by a reverse parking , paralllel parking test in the yard with a traffic officer. If you pass this stage you go onto the roads with the traffic officer and he/she direct you where to go. there are many ways to fail. If your wheels cross a solid white line you fail, if you roll the vehicle without the clutch engaged you fail, if you ignore the traffic rules/signs you fail. if you do multiples of the smaller things wrong like checking blind spots etc you fail.

We use the K53 test over here for those that are interested:
http://www.transport.gov.za/frames/k53-f.html
http://www.passyourlearnerseasily.com/drivers.html
http://www.k53.iblog.co.za/

The most expensive part is going for lessons with an instructor. the Learners license is cheap. the actual drivers license is more expensive.

smoker
January 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Hello i have a question to all of you guys and girls out here in the ubuntu forums.
Im in progress with drivers licence now and in sweden it costs minimum 14000swedish kr that s 2000$. Thats alot of cash and we have a book with 250pages and like 10tests

why dont you spend the money on a holiday and sit your test in the usa, then apply for one of these: http://www.international-license.com/prices.php

:D :D :D

mips
January 19th, 2007, 12:13 AM
why dont you spend the money on a holiday and sit your test in the usa, then apply for one of these: http://www.international-license.com/prices.php

And after every 3yrs he has to fly back to the US. Might have to look at the economics of the exercise :-k

zerhacke
January 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
In Ohio, anyone under 18 who wants a license must take Drivers Education courses which costs about three hundred dollars. However, if you are over 18 you don't have to have ever taken any courses to get your license.

Both under and over 18 year olds must take a written test that is free to take. If you pass the written test you may pay a fourteen dollar fee to get your learner's permit.

The learner's permit is only valid to drive with if you have a person who already has their license to drive in the vehicle with you.

No guideline is given for how many hours you must drive while on a learner's permit. It is assumed you are driving with it. Instead, you simply wait one week after getting the learner's permit and you are allowed to take the driving test.

The driving test is exceedingly basic. The instructor will stand outside of the vehicle and ask you to honk the horn, turn on the hazard lights, use individual turn signals, and some other basic mechanical checks you do not need to know how to fix to pass - so long as they work you pass this part of the test. Assuming you pass this the instructor will get in the car and ask you to drive him/her places. The instructor will tell you to turn left, turn right, go here, go there. All you have to do is stop when required and use the turning signals as needed. No knowledge of how your car operates, how to repair your car, change flat tires, or anything similar is needed.

Assuming you pass that part of the test, you are given the maneuverability test which is little more than "parallel park your car one time". The cones uses as markers for this test are spaced very very far apart, moreso than if you were really trying to parallel park a car in a busy street. If you can get your car between the cones without touching the cones you pass this test.

Assuming you pass that part of the test you are then awarded the privilege of having a full blown driver's license. You take some paperwork to the license bureau and pay another 14 dollar fee and you have your license.

All told, it's 28 dollars and a week of waiting at the minimum.

Koori23
January 19th, 2007, 12:30 AM
It's changed since I passed but here in the UK you have to do:

(Prices taken from Driving Standards Agency Website)

Obtain Provisional Licence - just fill out paperwork (£38.00 / $75.02)
Theory Test (£21.50 / $42.43)
ADI Hazard Test (£20.50 / $40.46)
Practical Test (£48.50 / $95.74 weekdays before 4:30pm and £58.00 / $114.50 after + weekends)

Driving lessons are normally 1 hour long and cost about £25.00 / $49.35 per hour.
Normally they suggest you have 1 or 2 lessons per week. The average length that people take lessons for is 31 hours.

Once you pass you then exchange your provisional licence for a full licence. I believe this is now free but when I passed about 7 years ago there was another fee for it! However, back then we did not have the Hazard test.

Based on these costs and average times it would cost someone in the UK: £903.50 / $1783.68

Wow.... I live in Indiana..... I went to a driving school.. I learned park in between cars and drive with my hands at 10 and 2.. Took the written.. I'd say, all in all.. Getting my license cost about $500 total including the cost of the license itself.

Hendrixski
January 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I imagine that it costs less in some other countries, like Perhaps the new EU countries (if you want to drive on their "roads"). Isn't a drivers license in one EU country valid in all other Countries? So if you take the test in another EU country for less, you can save a few hundred Euros, plus get some tourism and fun.

Besides, don't most Swedes drive bikes anyway? I always see more bikes than people every time I go there.

mips
January 19th, 2007, 12:41 AM
The average length that people take lessons for is 31 hours.

Thats harsh, but for some 31hrs is not even enough.

prizrak
January 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
In NY it's pretty cheap and easy. Don't remember if I had to pay for the permit (required to be allowed to learn to drive) then it was like $50 for a 5 hour lecture and if you have a buddy/parent with a car that will allow you to learn in it you can take a road test in it otherwise you pay for driving lessons.

mcduck
January 19th, 2007, 03:39 PM

At least in Finland such license is valid only for 6 months (if I remember the time right) and then you need to at least take a test on driving on ice and in dark conditions before you can get a Finnish license.

Of course it's not a problem if you are only visiting in Finland, then you can just use the license you have.

I'm not sure how it works now with the EU licenses. Probably you can drive with any EU license as long as you are not permanently living in Finland.

MrHorus
January 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM

I guess you don't know much about immigration then.

Most states' DMVs won't issue a drivers liscence without a SSN as drivers liscences are used as id by illegal immgrants.

The SSA won't issue you an SSN unless you are a permamant resident or have entered the US on an immigrant or work visa and you will *NOT* get one of these as a tourist.

As someone who has an immigrant visa in their passport and knows this process trust me, you cannot just go to another country and get a liscence in this way, as nice as it would be :)

MrHorus
January 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure how it works now with the EU licenses. Probably you can drive with any EU license as long as you are not permanently living in Finland.

I believe it depends on the member state but in the UK they no longer force you to convert a member state liscence to a domestic one.

mcduck
January 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I believe it depends on the member state but in the UK they no longer force you to convert a member state liscence to a domestic one.

Could be the same thing in Finland today, it's been a while since I got my license and things may have changed. But it would anyway make sense to force people coming from far south to take the ice driving test at least.. It could save their life, and other people's too ;)

If you ask me, that test should be done every winter. Correcting your car's movement has to be a reflex, there's no time to think about what you should do.

(American drivers and icy road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPE8vL5hlFA :D )

Paul41
January 19th, 2007, 07:05 PM
In North Carolina a drivers license is $25.

You have to take a driving course before you can get your license, but I have no idea what this cost. Back when I got my license you took the course as part of you high school classes. They don't do that any more so you have to pay for them now. Either way the course is a one time thing.

allix
January 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
What amazes me is not the *who* is allowed to drive, but *what* they are allowed to drive. Especially in the US. I watch Pimp my ride all the time and I can't believe those piece-of-****-cars are allowed in traffic. ](*,) Maybe they aren't, maybe they just drive it down the street or something. I have no idea. Americans, please enlighten me :)

mips
January 19th, 2007, 08:50 PM
What amazes me is not the *who* is allowed to drive, but *what* they are allowed to drive. Especially in the US. I watch Pimp my ride all the time and I can't believe those piece-of-****-cars are allowed in traffic. ](*,) Maybe they aren't, maybe they just drive it down the street or something. I have no idea. Americans, please enlighten me :)

Wait till you see some the things on on our roads...

dorcssa
January 19th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Well, in Hungary, to get a driver licence, you have to learn first aid, pass the health test, then you can write the test(only 10 bad answers is allowed, and you get some car issue questions, like how to change the wheel). The questions regarding driving rules is a little tricky, as I heard. After that, you must take driving lessons, at least 30 if I'm not mistaken, and then you can do the practice exam. The whole cost is about 300$, schools differs in that, and you can get 30% tax returning(I don't know how to write it in english). The age limit is 17 I think.

I didn't take it yet, (my boyfriend said I shouldn't, girls don't need that...veeery discriminating, isn't it?), and I don't feel that I want it. For travelling, I use my bike or public transport, and it's fine for me. But hey, I'm just a student.

mips
January 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't take it yet, (my boyfriend said I shouldn't, girls don't need that...veeery discriminating, isn't it?), and I don't feel that I want it. For travelling, I use my bike or public transport, and it's fine for me. But hey, I'm just a student.

I would advice you to get it as soon as you can. You will need it one day for work or something of the sorts. You have the time now, it's cheaper and once you have it it is done, no more worries later in life that you might require it.

Paul41
January 19th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Some states require cars to be inspected and some don't. That doesn't mean much though. I live in a state where yearly car inspections are required but we still have the kinds of cars driving around that you are talking about.

dorcssa
January 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I would advice you to get it as soon as you can. You will need it one day for work or something of the sorts. You have the time now, it's cheaper and once you have it it is done, no more worries later in life that you might require it.
You maybe right, but my mother told me, that it would be much time until I need to drive a car, and if I take it now, and need the knowlidge say about 5 years later, then I'm out of practise.

Some states require cars to be inspected and some don't. That doesn't mean much though. I live in a state where yearly car inspections are required but we still have the kinds of cars driving around that you are talking about.
Here the cars need a green card and a traffic licence (older cars have to pass trough the engineer exam once a year) in order to drive them. If at a police check you don't have them or they are expired, you have to pay a fee, and I think after a time of expiration your cars is pulled out.

slimdog360
January 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I went through 4 tests and about $600ish dollars to get my licence

Omnios
January 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
When I first got my Licence about 20 years ago it was not all that expencive however in Canada you must update your licence every 5 years or so and last time that cost me about $80

macogw
January 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Getting a drivers permit is I think $40 in Pennsylvania and then another $40 for the actual license. It expires every 4 years.

smoker
January 20th, 2007, 12:14 AM
I guess you don't know much about immigration then.

Most states' DMVs won't issue a drivers liscence without a SSN as drivers liscences are used as id by illegal immgrants.

The SSA won't issue you an SSN unless you are a permamant resident or have entered the US on an immigrant or work visa and you will *NOT* get one of these as a tourist.

As someone who has an immigrant visa in their passport and knows this process trust me, you cannot just go to another country and get a liscence in this way, as nice as it would be :)

i can't speak for other states, and new legislation since 1993, but at that time in california, you could apply for a ssn that didn't allow you anything, but would do for sitting a driving test. the only reason i never did then was because the paperwork never came though in the time i was there, arrived the week after i left!

if you do have an international licence, you can renew it online, or by post, you do not have to return to the original country of issue (unless that law has changed recently, also!)

graabein
January 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
It's also very expensive in Norway like everything else. It's almost ridiculous. :shock: ...but that's what you get when everyone's supposed to have the same income regardless of education and line of work.

mips
January 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
You maybe right, but my mother told me, that it would be much time until I need to drive a car, and if I take it now, and need the knowlidge say about 5 years later, then I'm out of practise.

Does not matter, you still have the license, one or to refresher lessons and you would be fine, like riding a bicycle, you never forget. You could even drive a friends car occassionally if you volunteer as a designated driver when they go out drinking. Also counts on your CV, you might apply for a job that requires a drivers license.

phossal
January 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Did any of you consider the currency conversions though? It's still quite a range, but it's within $100's, not $1000's.

($US) $1.70 Kenya
($US) $10.00 States
($US) $280.00 Sweden