PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use NeroLINUX?

Kernel Sanders
January 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
**LINK** (http://www.nero.com//enu/NeroLINUX_Info_Page.html)

Just wondering. It looks quite good from what I can tell :)

Btw, are there any free alternatives to a program like this?

Also, if you arnt using NeroLINUX, what are you using that does the same thing as this program?

taurus
January 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
K3b has everything that I need to do all my burning.

Brunellus
January 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Also, if you arnt using NeroLINUX, what are you using that does the same thing as this program?
No. why would I even bother? In GNOME, I use Grip for ripping and Gnomebaker for burning.

KDE is fortunate to have the excellent K3b.

Nautilus also has integrated cd handling. And Linux can mount and read .iso images as if they were disks. There's nothing Nero does that my Free Software doesn't do, so why should I have to comply with their non-free, restrictive license?

Omnios
January 18th, 2007, 03:05 PM
K3B is the nicest burning program that I have ever used.

rai4shu2
January 18th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Nero has tons of features (like burning special formats for CDs), but if all you need is to make or burn iso images, K3b or Nautilus will do the job.

prizrak
January 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I used to use it because I used Nero in Windows but really if all you do is burn some ISO's, Data and Audio then Nautilus + Serpentine (interestingly enough installed OOTB on Ubuntu) will do everything you need.

Mateo
January 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I can't believe people still burn cds/dvds. I just don't understand... why. mp3 players handle your audio needs. hooking your computer up to your television handles your video needs. I guess CDs are ok for data storage, but again, we got 2+gig USB drives now. so what need is there to burn cds/dvds?

Josh1
January 18th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I can't believe people still burn cds/dvds. I just don't understand... why. mp3 players handle your audio needs. hooking your computer up to your television handles your video needs. I guess CDs are ok for data storage, but again, we got 2+gig USB drives now. so what need is there to burn cds/dvds?

That's like saying "We have wheelchairs, why do we need to walk?".

CD's and DVD's are great, especially for burning movies so I can play them in another room. (Uhh, I legally own these dvd's :rolleyes: )

Kindred
January 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I burn Linux CD's, and DVD's (I can watch them in other rooms and lend them to people and stuff.. ), also CD's for the car very occasionally, there's a bunch of reasons.

riven0
January 18th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Yes! I use NeroLinux because K3b, Gnomebaker and Graveman always gives me errors when burning .iso's! I don't know how many times I tried reburning the same Dreamlinux .iso with those programs, but it would always end in a corrupted cd, even at a low burning speed, (4kbs). Eventually I downloaded a free trial of NeroLinux, tried it there and it worked!

I love NeroLinux!:KS

But what is up with the fonts?!! :shock:

PatrickMay16
January 18th, 2007, 06:28 PM

CD-Rs/CD-RWs are cheap and effective.
And don't flash drives wear out after so many uses?

Kernel Sanders
January 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Yes! I use NeroLinux because K3b, Gnomebaker and Graveman always gives me errors when burning .iso's! I don't know how many times I tried reburning the same Dreamlinux .iso with those programs, but it would always end in a corrupted cd, even at a low burning speed, (4kbs). Eventually I downloaded a free trial of NeroLinux, tried it there and it worked!

Wow, those fonts look weird? Have you tried anti-aliasing?

bonzodog
January 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
For burning ISO's you cannot beat the one simple command line tool, cdrecord. It will burn ISO's with one very simple command:

$cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdb distribution.iso

As for Audio burning, i have yet to find a really good tool, though I use Graveman at the moment, but it does seem to produce errors frequently.

There is another tool called BashBurn, which looks good. It's a terminal ncurses tool.

http://bashburn.sourceforge.net/

frogotronic
January 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM

chip/ram failures, viruses, lose your MP3 drive, accidental erasure, high magnetic fields, accidently sit on your drive while it's in your back pocket and bust it all to hell, etc [-(

Josh1
January 18th, 2007, 08:33 PM
chip/ram failures, viruses, lose your MP3 drive, accidental erasure, high magnetic fields, accidently sit on your drive while it's in your back pocket and bust it all to hell, etc [-(

I always end up breaking my USB drive somehow - sitting on it, going through the wash ETC. About 15 months ago I bought a pretty rocksolid 1 gig USB for about $40 and so far it HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN! It has literally had a car driven over it!

mips
January 18th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Nero on Linux sux, itś not the same as the windows version. I have a legit copy of nero on windows & linux incase you are wondering.

On linux k3b rules !!!

richbarna
January 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM

Nuff Said.

dvarsam
January 19th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Nero on Linux sux, itś not the same as the windows version. I have a legit copy of nero on windows & linux incase you are wondering.

On linux k3b rules !!!

It is true that NeroLinux is not as good as the Windows version.
But if Nero decided to create a better Linux version, I would be their first customer!
In windows, Nero includes also a DVD player...
So, I can't wait until Nero produces a DVD burning solution bundled with a DVD player for Linux, capable of playing any type of movie stream or format...

Thanks.

P.S.> Of course, I hope that an open source alternative is to be released in the future, but sometimes I get disappointed & feel that things progress very slowly in Linux... :(

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 01:00 AM
I always end up breaking my USB drive somehow - sitting on it, going through the wash ETC. About 15 months ago I bought a pretty rocksolid 1 gig USB for about $40 and so far it HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN! It has literally had a car driven over it!

CDs/DVDs are not exactly unbreakable either.

seijuro
January 19th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Agreed and I've played with just about every hunk of junk windows has to offer on the subject.

Polygon
January 19th, 2007, 02:35 AM

to install linux.

Hex_Mandos
January 19th, 2007, 03:33 AM

How much does a 2 gb drive cost? Then, how much does a blank 5 GB DVD-RW cost?

Also, are you suggesting that I should move my desktop computer next to my tv to see a movie, then put it back again in place? It's an awful lot of work to do that.

BLTicklemonster
January 19th, 2007, 03:39 AM

lmao I still have my collection of vinyl disks, and they sound better than anything digital out there. Pops, hisses, etc. notwithstanding.

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 03:46 AM
lmao I still have my collection of vinyl disks, and they sound better than anything digital out there. Pops, hisses, etc. notwithstanding.

i use vinyl too.. what does that have to do with this though?

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Also, are you suggesting that I should move my desktop computer next to my tv to see a movie, then put it back again in place? It's an awful lot of work to do that.

30 dollars I think is what 2gig USB would cost. You're right, the dvd is cheaper. I guess that's one reason to do it. Although RWs can only be rewritten a finite number of times.

My desktop computer isn't sitting next to my television. They do sell 50+ foot composite and svideo cables ;) you can have them in separate rooms if you want.

Hex_Mandos
January 19th, 2007, 04:18 AM
An usb drive also has a limited number of rewrites...

In any case, I still find lots of uses for optical media. Making backup copies, for example (I burned countless CDs and DVDs during my switch to Ubuntu from Windows). 2 gb is not really much for today's standards, and I can't keep all of my stuff on my HDs all the time.

AS for cables... really, I have to add MORE wiring to my house? Someday, I'll build myself a computer to use as a media center, but right now it's not feasible for me.

BLTicklemonster
January 19th, 2007, 04:28 AM
i use vinyl too.. what does that have to do with this though?

I just turned "grandfather" last week, and it just made me feel old reading about all this and reflecting on all the great albums I have upstairs. (hence the lmao part of my post) That's all.

yabbadabbadont
January 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM
For burning ISO's you cannot beat the one simple command line tool, cdrecord. It will burn ISO's with one very simple command:

$cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdb distribution.iso

As for Audio burning, i have yet to find a really good tool, though I use Graveman at the moment, but it does seem to produce errors frequently.

There is another tool called BashBurn, which looks good. It's a terminal ncurses tool.

http://bashburn.sourceforge.net/

cdrecord fails about 30% of the time with my two burners. (k3b uses cdrecord in the background so don't bother suggesting it... :D ) Nero has never failed with my drives. It is especially good at blanking rewritable media too. (the oss tools fail 90% of the time when doing that) Also, I already had a license from windows, so I had no reason not to use it.

yabbadabbadont
January 19th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Nero is a gtk1 application so it doesn't use the gnome-settings-daemon (sp?) to get it's font settings. That is also why the interface looks so bad. Your current gnome theme doesn't have a gtk1 theme to go with it. If you install gtk-theme-switch, you can run the "switch" program to set your gtk1 theme and also choose the font. It still won't look as nice as a gtk2 program, but you can make it look better.

Example:
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/6512/screen20070118215116ql9.th.png (http://img120.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screen20070118215116ql9.png)

/home/bubba $ cat .gtkrc
include "/usr/share/themes/Industrial/gtk/gtkrc"

style "user-font"
{
font="-microsoft-verdana-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-microsoft-cp1252"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

Note that I am using Gentoo. On Ubuntu, I believe that this should be set in your ~/.gtkrc-1.2 file and not in .gtkrc like I have it. You may have to install the gtk1 Industrial theme engine as I don't think that Ubuntu includes it by default. Also, you should notice that I am using the Microsoft Verdana font. I played around with a bunch of fonts and that one looked the nicest to me in gtk1 applications.

RAV TUX
January 19th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Also, if you arnt using NeroLINUX, what are you using that does the same thing as this program?K3B

Mateo
January 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
I just turned "grandfather" last week, and it just made me feel old reading about all this and reflecting on all the great albums I have upstairs. (hence the lmao part of my post) That's all.

Vinyl still gets released, unlike most of the other "old" formats. I have a lot of old vinyl, like stuff from the 20s that I picked up from yard sales (i even have a few from world war I), but I also have a lot of newer stuff too. it's the medium that won't die. that's what I like about it, more than anything, I don't have to worry about replacing my vinyl when the next big thing comes along.

Omnios
January 19th, 2007, 05:42 AM
One thing I like about the Linux burners is the clone copy of cds and the ability to back up my legal cd's as I am really hard on them.

drfalkor
January 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm using gnome's burning tool, much nicer and so on.. But it's good too see that commercial apps are native for linux :)

.tommie
January 31st, 2007, 12:16 AM
I've been having a difficult time operating my dvd+-rw drive, namely a QSI SDW-082 drive on Linux (using K3B, GnomeBaker and Brasero).

NeroLINUX however works without any issues using the QSI drive! :D

I do hope that Nero has some plans to use GTK2 instead of the extremely ugly GTK1.2 ...?

muguwmp67
January 31st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Also, I already had a license from windows, so I had no reason not to use it.
You can use Nero for Linux with your windows license? I'm going to have to give it a try. I burned a data dvd with gnome baker yesterday, but it turned into a major PITA.

%hMa@?b<C
January 31st, 2007, 12:42 AM
um... my modded gamecube doesnt boot off of usb. is that enough for you. Thats the one reason that I have a hundred pack of Tayo Yuden DVDRs sitting next to my tower

Extreme Coder
January 31st, 2007, 03:36 AM
So if K3b has a certain bug related to burning, GnomeBaker,Brasero and Graveman are all doomed with the same bug? :( They need to fix the base tools on which these programs run on. It would be really sad if you had to use NeroLinux for basic CD/DVD stuff. I tried burning a normal ISO with success but I will try erasing my CD-RW later.

Extreme Coder

yabbadabbadont
January 31st, 2007, 05:39 AM
So if K3b has a certain bug related to burning, GnomeBaker,Brasero and Graveman are all doomed with the same bug? :( They need to fix the base tools on which these programs run on. It would be really sad if you had to use NeroLinux for basic CD/DVD stuff. I tried burning a normal ISO with success but I will try erasing my CD-RW later.

Extreme Coder

As far as I know, they all depend on cdrecord to do the actual work, and recent versions of it fail more often than work with my drives. Nero always works and, as I said before, I already had a license for it.

.tommie
February 5th, 2007, 07:10 PM
As far as I know, they all depend on cdrecord to do the actual work, and recent versions of it fail more often than work with my drives. Nero always works and, as I said before, I already had a license for it.

Amen!

Rede
February 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM

I use K3B primarily. Unfortunately, I've had to use NeroLINUX in the past because K3B lacks one piece of functionality I sometimes require: burning DVDs with the UDF filesystem.

K3B doesn't support writing UDF dvds, which limits any one file's size to 4gb. If I want to burn a 4.4gb file with K3B I simply cannot. (In all actuality, this isn't K3B's problem, cdrecord simply doesn't provide the ability to do this, but I can with NeroLINUX.)

patrick295767
February 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Sure not

K3B is magic

handy
April 25th, 2007, 02:31 AM
I use NeroLinux because it is reliable on my CD/DVD burner. None of the other's are.

NeroLinux has never let me down!

I will happily stop using NeroLinux when the free versions become as reliable.

rocknrolf77
April 25th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Nero has released a beta of their new burning app for linux. It looks a h*** of a lot better than the old nerolinux but I don't think I will buy it. K3b, Gnomebaker, Brasero and the nautilus burner is good enough for me. Guess some people will buy it if they are new linux users, and are used to nero. Wonder what became of roxio for windows. Suddenly it was almost gone. :-k

Beta download : http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLinux3Beta.html

jiminycricket
April 25th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Nero looks great for that HD and Bluray support. Wish they had used Tango icons though...

Polygon
April 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM
gnomebaker has worked flawlessly for me every single time, so no reason to use nerolinux

but it is nice that they at least provide a linux version... they could take the time and compile the program for gtk2 at least.

Corvo78
April 25th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Nero has released a beta of their new burning app for linux. It looks a h*** of a lot better than the old nerolinux but I don't think I will buy it. K3b, Gnomebaker, Brasero and the nautilus burner is good enough for me. Guess some people will buy it if they are new linux users, and are used to nero. Wonder what became of roxio for windows. Suddenly it was almost gone. :-k

Beta download : http://www.nero.com/eng/NeroLinux3Beta.html

Whoa, nice!
You're right, it does indeed look a h*** of a lot better (gtk2+ it seems).
And the interface is now similar to the Windows version, as far as I can tell.
I'm surely going to give this a try, nice find!

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM
K3b it's all I need

rejser
April 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
K3b is an excellent software.
For your windows needs there is CDBurner XP Pro which is free

steven8
April 25th, 2007, 08:43 AM
gnomebaker. I like it a lot. I used Roxio in XP. Very good program.

use a name
April 25th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Not long ago, when I started to look for a suiting linux distro, I've spent hours to find a decent free (gratis, in this case 30 day trial) prog to burn a dvd for me under Windows. Then I had linux installed and the next dvd I burned to try was burned in no time using k3b. I can imagine some other prog has something extra, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now. :)

handy
April 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I installed the NeroLinux 3.0.0.0 beta today, it really is a whole new frontend compared to the previouse version, which I've been using for over a year now. It is still not quite perfect in it's ease of use re. finding your source files. It is a LOT easier to see what you are doing though. I expect that I will buy it in the future. $20- US.

[Edit:] Actually it handles source files & all really well I've found after looking a little more closely. I think it's actually a really great piece of software.

mips
April 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I have a paid for legal license but I don't use it. I use k3b.

rocknrolf77
April 25th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I installed the NeroLinux 3.0.0.0 beta today, it really is a whole new frontend compared to the previouse version, which I've been using for over a year now. It is still not quite perfect in it's ease of use re. finding your source files. It is a LOT easier to see what you are doing though. I expect that I will buy it in the future. $20- US.

I don't think it's too bad for a beta. I just hope that they will listen to the beta testers opinions, so the users get what they want. If they don't listen to the users I think nerolinux will have a short life.

handy
April 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think it's too bad for a beta. I just hope that they will listen to the beta testers opinions, so the users get what they want. If they don't listen to the users I think nerolinux will have a short life.

Personaly, I think that the improvement from version 2 to 3, is fantastic. I won't test all of it's abilities, because I don't need them. As long as it is as reliable as the previous version, & that combined with the vastly improved front end, then I will call it good value.

Sunflower1970
April 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
K3b is really growing on me. Recently, over the weekend, I had to make a bunch of dual layer DVD's. In the past, while using Windows and Nero 7, about half would be coaster-ized. K3b didn't make one coaster.

But, since I have a license for Nero 7, I may go ahead and try NeroLinux to see how it is...(I think if one has a license for the window version, they will not have to buy the Linux version..thought I read that somewhere on their site a one time...?)

EdThaSlayer
April 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I will use this so more companies will follow the lead and create more programs for Linux which would make more businesses use Linux since they can get software which they can complain about. :)

yabbadabbadont
April 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
But, since I have a license for Nero 7, I may go ahead and try NeroLinux to see how it is...(I think if one has a license for the window version, they will not have to buy the Linux version..thought I read that somewhere on their site a one time...?)

Your current windows license will work with nerolinux 2, but it is still unclear on the nerolinux forums whether or not that same license will work with the new version. My windows key is from Nero 6 for Windows, so I doubt if it will work with the new version once it leaves beta. However, since your key is from Nero 7, it might work. I just checked the nerolinux forums and they seem to be pointedly ignoring any questions about which license keys will work... :roll:

Corvo78
April 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Yesterday I removed NeroLinux 2... and installed the new beta.
And what an improvement it is! I really like it. Looks good, far more intuitive then the previous.
The GUI is even the same as the current Windows' version, as far as I could tell. So for me, I feel right at home.
Good stuff! If my old (v6) license won't work, I really am considering to buy a new one. Just like I did with Crossover (for WoW ;) ).

*thumbs up*

FoolsGold
April 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I use NeroLINUX. One of the big reasons was because I found that I could burn a CD image onto a DVD quite easily; GnomeBurner wouldn't understand the difference in media formats. I don't buy CD-R's anymore, and all I have are DVD-R discs around me, so the ability to burn a Ubuntu CD ISO onto a DVD is very useful. Wasteful, but useful (I'm not gonna buy CD-R JUST for burning Linux, that's silly).

Maybe K3b can do the same thing, never tried. I'm not going to install all the extra KDE libs just to run a single KDE-based tool if I can avoid it.

karlo
February 21st, 2008, 01:33 AM

It means, use something like a TV Output cord or anything which will make your pc output movies onto your TV..

koleoptero
February 21st, 2008, 01:54 AM
I actually have less problems with brasero than with nero. :lolflag:

SlayerMan
March 7th, 2008, 05:08 PM
What do you all think of the newest version of Nero Linux? It now has support for HDDVD and BluRay which AFAIK k3b or gnometoaster do not offer

GOROSSI
March 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I don't, what's the betting that there is K3b source code in it somewhere so why pay for it when K3b works well in both GNOME and KDE.

I use CD Burner XP pro on my Vista desktop which isn't open source I know but is freeware, but is the best k3b equivalent for Windows until somebody ports K3b to Windows that is.:lolflag:

GOROSSI
March 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
By the way I forgot to say how many people have got HD DVD or Blu-ray Writers
if you have then good for you go for nero linux but the majority don't and won't have for a few years yet until prices come down.:lolflag:

Northsider
March 10th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Just got my Nero working. I have been a fan for a while. I like that I can rip to cd/dvd image with it easily.