PDA

View Full Version : double boot BSD and Ubuntu Server

arkangel
January 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I got a New PC (AMD 64) and I want to install a double boot using freeBSD and ubuntu server , any of you have tried such thing. It is dificult? there is a tutorial etc

mips
January 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
arkangel,

I asked a similair question on irc in #openbsd. They recommended I use GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net/)

I run openbsd on my laptop in a dualboot config with Windows XP.

GAG is the easiest thing to setup, you cannot believe how easy it is. All graphical.

Just download the small .iso image of gag and install it.

You could also use grub, there are many guides out there or just read the excellent bsd documentation.

runningwithscissors
January 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I got a New PC (AMD 64) and I want to install a double boot using freeBSD and ubuntu server , any of you have tried such thing. It is dificult? there is a tutorial etc

The only difficult part is the one people are always wary of. Resizing a live partition.

If you have a free partition, it is as simple as booting up the CD, selecting the relevant options from the installer and booting into your new FreeBSD install.

the_darkside_986
February 16th, 2007, 03:15 AM
I am not so sure about the server environment but on my PC, I have them sharing my one and only hard drive.

First, I have Ubuntu installed. We all know what the menu.lst in the grub configuration folder looks like for booting Ubuntu. But FreeBSD, I had to look that one up and it was easy:

# For booting FreeBSD

title FreeBSD
root (hd0,a)
kernel /boot/loader
boot

I added that entry to the bottom of menu.lst in /boot/grub. (In Ubuntu, of course)
Of course, I told the freeBSD installed NOT to overwrite my MBR because I wanted to manually edit the grub file because I did not want to lose access to Ubuntu since I can't get internet or sound working in freeBSD.
I don't understand why hd0,a works but for some strange reason it does. I guess it is because I let FreeBSD walk me through the installation and I just did what the screen said to do. (Nothing at expert level)