PDA

View Full Version : Linux or Windows

ekka
January 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Whatís your opinion on OS you are using so far?

aysiu
January 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
This sort of poll belongs in the Cafe.

ekka
January 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
OopsÖ didnít know that. Do you mean no polls in Absolute Beginner Talk?

aysiu
January 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM
OopsÖ didnít know that. Do you mean no polls in Absolute Beginner Talk?
Absolute Beginner is a support forum and is
The perfect starting place to find out more about computers, Linux and Ubuntu. It isn't really a place to put polls--that's what the Cafe is for.

spockrock
January 18th, 2007, 08:21 AM
dual boot.

oracle5
January 18th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I only dual boot because I have to have some specific programs for my college classes. If it wasn't for that I would be completely linux. I do everything else in linux.

oracle5

blitzer
January 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Dual boot ](*,) for gaming but the future for gaming in linux is getting much brighter :cool:

ekka
January 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I currently dual boot, I am not sure if I am ever going to completely switch over to Linux :(

shining
January 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM
This time, I didn't uninstall the copy of windows originally installed on my laptop, because it led me to troubles with my previous laptop (no way to reinstall windows on it for someone else).
So I have dual boot windows-linux, but I don't dual boot, I use linux only :)

PrinceArithon
January 18th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I only use Linux at home, I prefer it much more than windows

STREETURCHINE
January 18th, 2007, 09:07 AM
i have linux to do everything on the net
but i have a spare computer that is not connected to the net with windows on it just for printing stuff and scanning photos..:D

ekka
January 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
As I understand Mac users donít dual boot with Windows, then why canít Linux users do the same?
I believe as long as you are dual booting with Windows, you are never going to take Linux seriously.

STREETURCHINE
January 18th, 2007, 09:28 AM
if i could get my printer scanner copier to work with ubuntu i would have no need for windows,
but since i cant i have to keep windows around for the menial tasks,,:confused:

blackant
January 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I wish to completely use Linux but there isn't driver for my canon printer and webcam too. :(

I got the hardwares after I get to know Linux, hence it would be a waste for me to get linux friendly hardwares now.

Also there are some programs which I need it to run on windows only. :(

Maybe not now, but I think in future I would build a computer for linux. :)

blore123
January 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Had to select dual-boot although I have no machines at present with a boot-loader giving choice of Linux/Windows.

I have a main PC running Ubuntu 6.10 only. This is supported by another small, low-spec PC on my left running Win98 just for internet access to debug it if trouble starts (usually it doesn't, so I end up typing in this forum instead, while installing on Ubuntu or something drawn-out and boring).

The main PC can run WinXP on another disk, but I actually have to switch the master IDE over inside the machine. I actually quite rarely carry this out, and it has the advantage of more HDD space for my Ubuntu machine.

slimdog360
January 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I wish to completely use Linux but there isn't driver for my canon printer and webcam too. :(

I got the hardwares after I get to know Linux, hence it would be a waste for me to get linux friendly hardwares now.

Also there are some programs which I need it to run on windows only. :(
Havr
Maybe not now, but I think in future I would build a computer for linux. :)

you seen the link in my sig. There isnt a gazillion drivers but there are a few for the pixma series etc, currently none for my ip3000 though, however the bjc-7000 driver works well enough.

Anyway, I got rid of Windows a few days ago, hopefully I'll be able to keep it that way when Uni comes back but I have my doubts. I know that I can install the Microsoft Office Document viewers for free with Crossover office, this way even if I cant edit the files I can view and print them perfectly.

Enverex
January 18th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I don't want to use Windows but it's the only way I can play most of my games or use some of my hardware. I just wish VMs were good enough to let me game with the newer games.

PetePete
January 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM
for people who are dual booting just to get 1 or 2 pieces of hardware working, i'd suggest using VMware and set windows up as a guest on your linux.

Thats what i do for any particualrs that dont seem to work in linux or when i MUST use office and need to make sure formatting will be consistant etc. Try windows 2000 as its less of a recourse hog so should run quicker.

(Vmware creates a virtual computer , which allows you to run other OSs inside your main OS)

Canis familiaris
January 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I have a dual boot with Linux and Windows. However 90% of my computer usage is there in Linux.
I still haven't able to get rid of Windows because:
(1) I have to use Turbo C++ which in in my studies
(2) Have loads of flash based CDs with tons of apps
(3) To help my friends who still haven't switched to Linux by showing them how to prepare for partitioning so that they could install Linux coexisting with Windows.

DougieFresh4U
January 18th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I will not dual boot. 2 machines are Linux and I have an XP machine that rarely gets fired up. Some times I'll get an E-mail or there is some thing I want to see that requires my XP machine. And also XP for my Mahjong games until some one helps me install the linux tar Mahjong games from the gaming site, Peace my friends, Dougie:)

blackened
January 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Been Windows free for 3 years and counting.

Canis familiaris
January 18th, 2007, 11:29 AM
for people who are dual booting just to get 1 or 2 pieces of hardware working, i'd suggest using VMware and set windows up as a guest on your linux.

(Vmware creates a virtual computer , which allows you to run other OSs inside your main OS)
VMWare Guest OS cannot use the hardware which the host OS cannot use .

sloggerkhan
January 18th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I got rid of my windows partition last night!!!!!!!!!

I redid my comp because somehow dreamlinux didn't play nice with my other Linuxes.

So now I have 2 Edgy installs, one with beryl, one without, sharing the same /home partition + an extra partition and about 15 gigs unformatted should I ever have the urge to install something unusual there.

RandomJoe
January 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
No Windows here in about 10 years! I even have a few machines that have never known the taint in their whole existence! ;) (Most of my machines are "rescued" though - amazing what people are willing to just throw out.)

Still use Windows at work, and while in general I'm happier with it now (at XP) and it seems to be technically/operationally getting to the point I'd be willing to use it, all the restrictions and license-compliance BS is sure to keep me away.

I do occasionally dual-boot at work, there are a number of tasks that if done the "official" way are a royal PITA or just plain don't work half the time, but I can boot to Linux and get my work done quickly and easily.

enopepsoo
January 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I have to use Window$ at work!!!!! :o

AndyCooll
January 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Linux only on the boxes and laptops in our house. I do though, have an XP VMware image for a game I play (which is a number cruncher not graphics intensive).

VMware uses its own basic drivers not the ones on your machine. So if you're wanting to play XP games that require 3D graphics etc under VMware, then you're out of luck. However, for most other XP only software it will work fine, including getting a USB printer to work for which their aren't drivers for Linux.

:cool:

Titus A Duxass
January 18th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I have been using linux since SuSE 7.3 came out and I can't remember when that was.

But saying that I have just installed XP on one of my machines. I did this because: a, I was given it and b, I wanted to mess around with nLite.

Wouldn't dream of surfing with it unless I got it set-up properly.

Falcorian
January 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I only run Linux right now. Edgy on my laptop, and Xubuntu Dapper on an old box that's sitting in the closet serving files and feeling useful again. ;) At work we use all Linux boxes, running a mix of Red Hat, cAos, and CentOS.

However, I'm currently building another desktop, and that one will... *sigh* Likely dual boot Vista (DX10 gaming) and Ubuntu of some flavor (for EVERYTHING else). ](*,)

floke
January 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
As I understand Mac users don’t dual boot with Windows, then why can’t Linux users do the same?
I believe as long as you are dual booting with Windows, you are never going to take Linux seriously.

Really! I dual boot with Windows, but have never needed (so far) to use Win since installing Lx. I use Lx all the time, so does this mean that just because I still have Win on my machine that I am not taking Lx seriously?

BTW: This is also a flaw in the poll setup, since (a) I use Lx all the time; (b) i dual boot; and (c) I am planning to get rid of Win soon and use Lx entirely.

Cheers all!

Sunflower1970
January 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Right now I dual boot...but I haven't touched XP in a couple of weeks. One day I plan to wipe XP completely off the HD, but I'm just not ready to yet.

Enverex
January 18th, 2007, 09:06 PM
VMWare Guest OS cannot use the hardware which the host OS cannot use .

Yes it can but ONLY with USB. Basically if you plug in a USB device while using VMWare it'll tell you a new device has been added (and if Linux loads a driver for it it will ask you if it's safe to unload it) and then it will act as if it's just been plugged in in Windows. That's how I used an unsupported Lexmark printer that doesn't current work in Linux and my PocketPC with ActiveSync.

Josh1
January 18th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for months, first thing I do on Windows is try to find the Applications dropdown - from the top of the screen!! :rolleyes:

Lord Illidan
January 18th, 2007, 09:14 PM
As I understand Mac users donít dual boot with Windows, then why canít Linux users do the same?

Mac Users can dualboot with Windows with BootCamp...and many of them are doing so now in order to play their games.

Nowadays I use only Linux. I used to dualboot before, and I believed it was thanks to dualbooting that I began taking Linux seriously. If I was forced to use only 1 OS, then I would have chosen Windows simply because I preferred learning Linux in small bits at a time, and knowing that I could break it because my data was safe.

Now that I have matured, I don't need Windows. As for games, I play UT2004, Q4 and Tremulous, and Wesnoth...more than enough.

spockrock
January 18th, 2007, 09:40 PM

I dual boot, on my primary machine, my secondary machine is a media pc, (and because I want use the Dolby Digital Live feature on my board) so its windows only, and my third machine dual boots linux and bsd, but I might switch the bsd with open solaris. I changed my fathers computer from a windows box to Ubuntu Linux. And use a custom live disc when I use my moms laptop.......

Yeah I guess I so. :rolleyes:

HoMe_CaNiBaL
January 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM
i only use linux at home and work, but in clients machine, just use windows...clients...LOL

euler_fan
January 18th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I dual boot but honestly prefer Xubuntu for almost everything (I find it harder to customize menus how I like them, I guess I'm just picky :) )

The only reason I keep windows is just in case I run into a piece of software I need that will not run--or does not have a compatible alternative--under Linux. I will have to look into the VMWare image idea and Wine, but have not yet done so (no pressing need).

My primary laptop runs Linux about 99% of the time and my old one runs whatever I last booted to. As of writing that is windows, but it also sits on my desk in standby mode most of the day ;)

FuturePilot
January 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Right now I dual boot but I use Ubuntu most of the time. There's just a few things I need Windows for.

Enverex
January 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Because lots of Mac users (no offense) are too stupid, most Macs are also still the legacy PPC machines which can't. Users of Macs are either likely to be people that don't care about games or are not Windows converts anyway, so they wouldn't have much interest in the Windows games market and they have enough commercial applications to keep them happy.

This comment is plain stupid. I use Linux 90% of the time and use Windows for the games I can't play. So you're saying the OS I used to do everything other than a few games I somehow don't "take seriously"? ... right.