PDA

View Full Version : Campaigning for the Common Use of Linux

calvmari
January 17th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Ubuntu Community,

If you have a free moment, I need your help. I'm going to be leading a campaign for the common user acceptance of Linux at my college campus (UCI). I'm targeting the common user, the person who boots up his computer, writes a few papers, browses the web, and plays video games. I want to show that Linux is easy, optimal, and the best way to go.

I need to be ready. I need a good appealing argument to make people feel unsettled using Windows (I plan on heavily pushing DRM issues and where that will lead them). I need to understand what makes Windows so great, and why Linux is greater. I'd like them to feel Linux is the best way for them to go.

All input, and links to articles are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

IYY
January 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Read my post here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2012966#post2012966

scrooge_74
January 17th, 2007, 08:45 PM
If you check the threads you will find plenty on that, but in the end if people you talk to dont have an open mind you are going to hit a brick wall.

The best way to win users is through experience. You should set your PC with the best I candy and have it ready to connect to many differnt items and programs so you wont be having tech difficulties in front of an audience.

And if in the mean time a worm or viruse stop all the computers in the campus and you are not affected that will be even better propaganda for you.

You should try first to enlist current users in your college to help you

good luck

calvmari
January 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the information!

My approach is trying to make my audience unsatisfied with the system they're using currently. Then offer a new solution that's better. I'll keep my eye sharp for the threads here, and nice post IYY!

purdy hate machine
January 18th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the information!

My approach is trying to make my audience unsatisfied with the system they're using currently. Then offer a new solution that's better.

Huh? If they are already satisfied with their current system why waste your time formulating a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? Surely you could find something a little more productive to do with your free time.

PetePete
January 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM
"I'm targeting the common user, the person who boots up his computer, writes a few papers, browses the web, and plays video games"

chances are those type of users wont want to bother changing their OS and will have no interest in these computer issues.

slimdog360
January 18th, 2007, 11:16 AM
you could set up a monopoly forcing people into using linux.