PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Linux book for me, please.

RChickenMan
January 17th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Yes, I know there are tons of threads about the various books available about Ubuntu specifically and Linux in general. I thought I would take advantage of the "human" element of forums and describe where I am and see if anyone can make a recommendation.

The truth is, I am pretty darn comfortable running Ubuntu. It is my main operating system (I keep around a 5 GB windows partition with no software installed on it, "just in case"), and I can get absolutely everything I want to done using the resources available to me. Most of what I have learned has been a result of setting up my system to work the way I want it to, and ironing out the few problems I have. However, the "problem" is, my system works perfectly. The reason this is a problem is I feel that at this point, I will not end up learning anything new. I really want to feel like an expert, and I cannot do this just through using the operating system because as I said, I have basically learned everything I need to know to get by. The problem is, all of the books I have found are either for the very beginner (example: "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks" promises to help the user do things such as play media, dvd's, use ipods, set up printers, etc. but I was perfectly able to do these things on my own), or are for experts. What is out there for someone like me who feels very comfortable using Linux as a desktop OS and can do all of the "desktopy things" he needs to do, but wants to move up to more of an expert level of understanding of the operating system?

darweth
January 17th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I would like some books too. Perhaps ones that also teach about Slackware and Gentoo. I am afraid of them! Well, mainly Slackware. Is it sad that the main reason I want to try out Slackware is because of the badass name?

migla
January 17th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I don't know if Ubuntu Linux Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Linux-Bible-William-Hagen/dp/0470038993/sr=8-1/qid=1169007342/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7296566-2052135?ie=UTF8&s=books) is any good, but you get 936 pages worth of ubuntu book for $26 at amazon: ...

(If anyone has comments on "Ubuntu Linux Bible", I'd like to hear them.)

anaconda
February 14th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I like the:
"Linux Administration Handbook", second editon, Evi Nemeth, Garth snyder, etc

Covers administration of: Ubuntu, RedHat, Fedora, Suse, and Debian

Mostly a bit more advanced stuff, and it doesnt cover many GUI -tools.. and almost everything is done from the terminal, which is good, because the terminal is the same in all distros.

a wery good book and well written.. 970 pages..

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Administration-Handbook-2nd-Nemeth/dp/0131480049/sr=8-1/qid=1171483019/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9305463-6168711?ie=UTF8&s=books

unbuntu
February 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Linux Phrase book - introduces a plethora of Linux commands and quick combinations of commands.

Linux Annoyances for Geeks - problem-solution type of book...

I would like some books too. Perhaps ones that also teach about Slackware and Gentoo. I am afraid of them! Well, mainly Slackware. Is it sad that the main reason I want to try out Slackware is because of the badass name?

Probably you won't find any books on Gentoo. What's the point? They have perfectly good online documentation and wiki.

Omnios
February 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
You might find this interesting.

http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz

RChickenMan
February 14th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks to whoever dug this up. I believe I have found what I am looking for with Linux From Scratch.

mephisto786
February 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Running Linux by Matt Welsh, great overview which gives debian, suse and redhat examples mostly, but goes more in depth ithan just settin up and running apps....

slackware and gentoo books are on line and can be copied and bound for a desktop hardcopy

several new books out on ubuntu in the last few months....google books ubuntu

enjoy