PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Help! Anjuta Help! HELP!

nick.inspiron6400
January 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to get eclipse to work, but i have little success. Once i open eclipse i get a message about No Java Development kit or Java Enviroment.

How do i resolve this? I did try Anjuta with Glade but i had alot of problems, with the glade plugin in not working. How do i resolve this aswell?

I have never programmed before in Linux, so i am very new!

If you need any more infomation just ask!

Thanks!

Nick,

Mirrorball
January 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
phossal wrote these instructions for installing Java and Eclipse, have a look at them:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1978966&postcount=2

phossal
January 17th, 2007, 12:32 AM
The JDK, eclipse and Tomcat tutorial thread is here: full thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=332674).

I used Anjuta before switching to gedit. I read something recently about Anjuta being updated, and updated in the repositories before development of the new release was finished. It's caused a lot of problems. You may find more by searching for Anjuta alone.

[edit] Mirrorball, I noticed you had some trouble launching C++ programs from eclipse. Were you able to resolve the problem?

Mirrorball
January 17th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I was having this problem at work and I'm home now. I left work without being able to solve it. At first my old Eclipse installation was giving me a different problem (and it was working perfectly in 2006, it must have been an update that broke it), so I reinstalled it. But my C++ programs aren't launching now. I reinstalled Java as per your instructions (except that it was the amd64 version), but it didn't work.

lloyd mcclendon
January 17th, 2007, 01:59 AM
search around here for automatix, download that and use it to get java and lots of other good stuff set up.

then go to www.yoxos.com/ondemand to download a vanilla eclipse with any plugins you want (cdt plugins if you're doing c++), and run tar -xzvf /path/to/eclipse/eclipse*.tar.gz .. do not use the ubuntu package as everybody has had nothing but problems with it.

then paste this in a file called eclipse in your path

#!/bin/bash

eclipse_dir="~/eclipse"
eclipse="${eclipse_dir}/eclipse"
eclipse_args="-vmargs -Xverify:none -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:PermSize=40M -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xmx512m -Xms512m"

${eclipse} ${eclipse_args} $* &

tweak the path and arguments as needed and then just type eclipse and it will work

phossal
January 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM
search around here for automatix, download that and use it to get java and lots of other good stuff set up.

then go to www.yoxos.com/ondemand to download a vanilla eclipse with any plugins you want (cdt plugins if you're doing c++), and run tar -xzvf /path/to/eclipse/eclipse*.tar.gz .. do not use the ubuntu package as everybody has had nothing but problems with it.

#!/bin/bash

eclipse_dir="~/eclipse"
eclipse_args="-vmargs -Xverify:none -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:PermSize=40M -XX:MaxNewSize=64M -XX:NewSize=64M -Xmx512m -Xms512m"

tweak the path and arguments as needed and then just type eclipse and it will work

That's a good beginner method? If so, that's a good way to teach it? Every post I've seen from you is reckless or offensive. Perhaps you should e-slap yourself. Can you do that with automatix? Before you reply with something obnoxious, why not just reformat your post so it makes sense - so a beginner could use it?

Something about the way you write, even when you're not blatantly offensive (which I much prefer), leaves people feeling like you're just trying to cause trouble. Why is that?

lloyd mcclendon
January 17th, 2007, 02:41 AM
welcome to my ignore list

how is that not helpful? it's not rocket science and he is doing programming so i assued that they would be able to figure it out with some help from google. there's not much to it really, i didn't see the need to spend 1/2 hour on a post with colors to explain a simple process. sorry. maybe i shouild edit that so google doesn't pick that unhelpful post up. and sorry for writing with a more advanced style than what you prefer.

phossal
January 17th, 2007, 03:01 AM
I wasn't exactly saying your writing is too advanced. Regardless of what I think, you can scan the replies to your posts and count how many "Thank you" or "Screw you" responses you get. Not a lot of people seem enthusiastic about you dropping by. Perhaps you're too advanced for us all. Perhaps we should all be e-slapped. If you dismiss me as simple, what about the other people who feel the same way?

You could take my bit of (admittedly) unpleasant advice and try to improve your style. Or not.

lloyd mcclendon
January 17th, 2007, 03:04 AM
or i could just ignore your crazy ***

phossal
January 17th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I didn't mean to offend you. The way you write sucks, and it makes your advice (which might otherwise be valuable) almost completely useless. It doesn't mean you're a bad person. Other things about you make you a bad person.

Ignore me though. Plenty of us are ignoring you. ;)

nick.inspiron6400
January 17th, 2007, 09:41 AM

#!/bin/bash

eclipse_dir="~/eclipse"

I am very new to Linux ( didn't you know that?) And new to Linux programming and your post makes no sense.

I sorted out Eclipse, with some googling!

Now for Anjuta, i want to design the interface how do i do that?

Thanks,

Nick,

dnordberg
June 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
thanks lloyd mcclendon, what you said worked fine. Was having trouble installing WTP but now its ok.

Your advice was good, maybe a bit to advanced for some of these users (though i cant see how).

Anyway, i used to run eclipse 3.2 like this:

/usr/bin/eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java

Does adding these args still help??

And by the way, what does XX:+UseParallelGC do?