PDA

View Full Version : Just a man and his Ubuntu...

mrtaber
May 13th, 2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks to the excellent help found in these forums, and to Chua Wen Kiat and his Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide, tonight finds me sitting here a happy man. Oh, there are several small tweaks I want to make, but I can honestly say that I've never been so content with a Linux distro. It just works, indeed. Or something like that ;)

My work with Ubuntu will begin soon enough: ripping and encoding over 700 CDs into FLAC format, and then, from there, into OGG. The rationale is this: FLAC, being lossless but smaller than a WAV, can easily be converted back into a WAV file, and from there encoded into some great new future codec-we-haven't-imagined-yet on my 1Terabyte postage-stamp sized music player (actually, with that kinda storage, who needs to shrink anything?). In the meantime, I'll listen to FLAC at my desktop, and carry the much smaller OGG files on my portable music player. Eventually, I'd like to set up a music server.

Oh, and people...don't take these forums or the Guide for granted...contribute with your pocketbooks if you can. Every little bit helps. Let's keep this ball rolling.

Mark :)

DutchLau
May 13th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Sounds like you don't need a Terabyte in the future (sounds like you already have one now!).. 700 CD's averaging about 550 MB of music per CD gives you 385000 MB (385 GB) of music - uncompressed. I don't know how much FLAC compresses, but lets say it compresses to about 35%, that means you still have about 135GB of music to handle. What will you do with all those songs? Give some to me to add to my modest little collection, pleeeaaase :-P