PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a laptop - low end

bries
January 16th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Following another thread in this section (Thinking of a laptop), I want some advice on a more affordable laptop. This is what I need: Intel Core 2 Duo, wireless, dvd writer, at least 1 firewire and 1 usb2 ports, small in size, light in weight, durable...
I am working in rural Africa. What would one recommend?
Bries

mips
January 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Thinkpad ?

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 10:47 AM
perhaps one of the system76 machines? I was also looking at gateway's website the other day, they have some small sized notebooks.

hal10000
January 16th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Perhaps this link can help you to decide:http://www.tuxmobil.org/laptop_manufacturer.html

jdhore
January 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
at one point, i wanted a cheap laptop...now i have 2...one is a Dell i bought almost a year and a half ago for $500, but it's a nice system (zero linux compatibility though :/) the other is a used toshiba that i've been VERY happy with

bries
January 17th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Hmmm... Strange that the Dell system is not compatible with Linux.

bries
January 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM
perhaps one of the system76 machines?
What is your experience with the system76?

maniacmusician
January 17th, 2007, 08:29 AM
What is your experience with the system76?
I haven't had personal experience with System76, but I know that they are excellent. Why? They're Ubuntu-based and have excellent support. They're so good that they even have a support section on these forums, in the 3rd party projects section (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158) They're very dedicated, and their systems come with Linux installed so you don't have to waste time configuring stuff.

I'm not quite sure about their price/performance ratio as I've never personally owned a system, so you may have to check that out.

bries
January 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I have checked the system76 (http://system76.com) website. But still their entry level laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo processor comes to U$888. Maybe I have to lower my expectations and settle for a Celeron?

maniacmusician
January 17th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Celeron's are really crappy processors. Truly. P4's as well. The entire line of processors based on the Netburst architecture are horrible. Your best bet really would be a core 2 duo if you want it to last. have you looked at gateway? I was messsing about on their site the other day, and I was able to configure some nice, not too expensive laptops.

I also created one expensive one (1700 dollars) but it offered performance beyond its price, so it was a good deal. I just odnt know how linux compatible they are.

Mr_J_
January 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Why not look at the hardware compatibility list and check out there which are compatible, then check their price range in your area...

bries
January 18th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Why not look at the hardware compatibility list and check out there which are compatible, then check their price range in your area...

Yes I did. A lot of the machines on the list aren't available here. I will proceed differently. I will check what is available in my price range and hardware requirements and then I will ask for experiences of others.

Mr_J_
January 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Yes I did. A lot of the machines on the list aren't available here. I will proceed differently. I will check what is available in my price range and hardware requirements and then I will ask for experiences of others.

Makes sense! I did the same before purchasing my PC parts. The diference was I already had an idea as to what I'd buy from scavanging the net for clues...

Maybe the Gentoo wiki can give you clues as to what not to buy. They usually keep their wiki pretty well maintained and filled with info.

Unfortunatelly it's very true that good info on hardware with reviews towards the linux home user is hard to find. [-(

I found most my info after several days of looking threw google searches and looking several sites that provide near to no info.

If you get a laptop please post info about it here as I'm thinking of doing similar.:mrgreen:

bries
January 19th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I will keep you informed. I've made some phone calls to suppliers but so far no luck of getting quote of a laptop without Windows preinstalled.