PDA

View Full Version : Defrag questions

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
January 16th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Trying to defrag my WinXP I seem to have a lot of files that won't defrag according to log after I run defrag. I have ran it about 6 times and it still doesn't get any better. How can I get those files to defrag or at least see what they are. I know log shows some info, but I want to know exactly what and where they are. Sorry for sounding like an idiot but I had used windows before discovering linux and did not learn much about it and I rarely turn the machine on(I should just turn it back off) no really I want to clean it up:) Sally

FurryNemesis
January 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM
How defragged is the drive when you're done? If you're looking for less than 3% ~ 5% fragmented total when you're done running the program then you're setting your hopes a bit high tbh.

More info would be useful too...

bigken
January 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
try running disc clean up 1st then defrag also try doing this safe mode ;)

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
January 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks for replies. I gave up on defrag. There are 2 hard drives on that machine and I rarely use it, but for gaming and music so I pulled out the old XP cd and doing a re-install at this time. I did have a lot of garbage (junk files) from my pre-linux days and so this time I will be selective about what goes in there. I have 3 other machines-"Feisty" "Edgy" "Xubuntu-Feisty" so I guess XP can go back on for gaming. A shame to waste all that space for games and headaches, Sally :)

jloehrlein
January 17th, 2007, 12:11 AM
You're probably trying to defrag protected system files. I had this happen to me, it turned out to be the backup points. You probably need to disable backup points. If that doesn't work you might need to go in a delete them manually which involves unhiding system files.

This happened to me when I deleted an account that had backup points.