PDA

View Full Version : Vista, Office 2007 get thumbs down from UK schools tech advisor

steven8
January 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM
High risk, high cost, lack of interoperability and a lack of need have been cited as major reasons why UK schools should avoid upgrading to Windows Vista and Office 2007 in a new report from a respected British Government technology advisory body.

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/8586/53/1/0/

seijuro
January 16th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Very interesting read, and I have to say that I agree with their key points on cost out weighing new features and not finding any "must have" feautres for the education community.

steven8
January 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes, is Aero critical for education? Naw. I also like them citing lack of inoperability with open formats. Very good press for the OSS community.

bailout
January 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
As a UK citizen I can assure you that whatever the report says the government will ensure that schools stick to MS.

EdThaSlayer
January 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Its good that they are not upgrading. Maybe, when the schools "contract" with M$ ends, they will start to use Linux(and by that time Linux would be really good and multimedia shouldn't be a problem).

beercz
January 16th, 2007, 04:20 PM
As a UK citizen I can assure you that whatever the report says the government will ensure that schools stick to MS.

I agree

Tomosaur
January 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Uh, why? The government doesn't like giving out money anyway - it's a very logical conclusion to suggest that they will actually just tell schools to shift to linux. The reason they haven't done so far is that it was pretty impractical in the past. I personally hope they provide a mix, but I feel that they'll definitely switch away from Windows soon enough.

PriceChild
January 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The government doesn't like giving out money anyway - it's a very logical conclusion to suggest that they will actually just tell schools to shift to linux.You'll be lucky ;)

As an example... I've just left the telford and wrekin area where they recently put billions into a windows network with huge broadband pipes between schools and literally thousands of windows xp licenses to cover the entire area.

They're gonna keep on windows :)

sanderella
January 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
You'll be lucky ;)

As an example... I've just left the telford and wrekin area where they recently put billions into a windows network with huge broadband pipes between schools and literally thousands of windows xp licenses to cover the entire area.

Sad, innit?:(

Kernel Sanders
January 16th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I am really surprised about Office 2007. :-k

That program is awesome, and has made my essay writing more enjoyable :cool:

Its far far ahead of Office 2003, and light years ahead of Open Office.

steven8
January 17th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I honestly didn't think they would shift away from windows. I was just hoping this would pressure MS towards supporting open file formats. :-) That, and it's good to hear there is a large chunk of change that WON'T be going to Redmond anytime soon!

Tomosaur
January 17th, 2007, 12:45 AM
You'll be lucky ;)

Yeah, Windows XP maybe. I honestly do doubt they'll ever make the jump to Vista. It's just far too restrictive. I reckon they'll wait a few years on XP and then start graduating to Linux. The EU is also undergoing this kind of shift. It's not like it's blindingly quick or anything, but it is happening. I see the UK doing the same soon enough.

WiseElben
January 17th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I am really surprised about Office 2007. :-k

That program is awesome, and has made my essay writing more enjoyable :cool:

Its far far ahead of Office 2003, and light years ahead of Open Office.

How does it make your essay writing more enjoyable? I'm not bashing Office or you, but I just want to know because, truthfully, I hate using OpenOffice. Sure, it's free and all that good stuff, but the way everything feels and the bugs in it make me go mad sometimes. I mean, they're just small bugs, like some border lines not being drawn on the screen correctly and not being able to highlight tables so I can manipulate it faster. Office is so much more... smooth.

I use AbiWord now. It feels better than OpenOffice, but it's lacks some functions (a useful grammar checker, for example).

maddog39
January 17th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I personally think the US has a much larger chance at making a full move to linux in schools. This is because there are already some schools who've switched to linux already. Another big thing is that in my school I complain to my advisor (who happens to be a school administrator as well) that the school wastes too much money on proprietary software. They just bought this huge school management software written in ASP.NET for their servers and they are always having troubles with the laptop carts because 30 people logging into the network at once kicks others off the network because the server cant handle it, its really funny actually.

As far as open formats, this is a huge frustration, my printer isnt always usable because there's only one computer we can print from (I switched everything that wasnt Linux or Mac to Linux except my moms laptop). So when I go print my .odt at school containing a huge essay, Im like.. f***!! Makes me really hate M$ and then I use the excuse that MS Office costs way too much money so thats why we use Open Office. Which is partially true. $400USD for standard edition is hardly cheap. :/

teejay17
January 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Great read. Thanks for posting. I'm glad to see this sort of attitude is become the norm.