PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Laptop

BarfBag
January 16th, 2007, 04:02 AM
I love my desktop and would probably still use it as my main PC, but I could sure use another one to experiment on. A laptop sounds great; even though it'll never leave this desk. I need some suggestions. Obviously, it has to be Linux friendly. nVidia or Intel graphics preferred. Most importantly - it HAS to have a changeable keyboard. I'm rough on 'em and have to get a new one at least once a year. Any suggestions? The ThinkPads still look great. Has their quality gone down?

MkfIbK7a
January 16th, 2007, 04:04 AM
well i like ibm thinkpads but lenovo took over the companys computer making...

you might like one though they are nice and i have one that runs kubuntu very well...

jdhore
January 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM
really, if you want to run Linux on it, the only 2 brands of laptop worth getting are IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba

CubicleDweller
January 16th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Acer, They make some hot laptops.

TheMono
January 16th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Dell are reasonably well supported from what I can gather, but I could not tell you about the keyboards.

Quillz
January 16th, 2007, 04:24 AM
I recommend the Dell Inspiron E1405. I have it and Ubuntu works perfectly on it. I'm not sure if the keyboard is replaceable, though.

RChickenMan
January 16th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Yeah, my inspiron 700m has no problems at all with Ubuntu.

haiku99
January 16th, 2007, 04:26 AM
laptop keyboards are generally easy to change (as long as you are not hamfisted) and good used ones are often available cheap on Ebay.
Many manufacturers have replacement directions on the web...

RandomJoe
January 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
I've had good success with Dell Latitudes. Most of mine are from the C-series, although I have Ubuntu on my current D610 work laptop as well. (I got the old C-series ones that had fallen off-lease when my company upgraded.) I've used C840s, C810s, C640s and C610s.

I'm not so fond of the Inspiron (home) line, they don't seem quite as durable for some reason. While the Latitude line can be "boring" it's usually pretty solid stuff.

The only part of these that I can't make work is the winmodem, but then it never worked all that well in Windows either...

On the C-series, the keyboards are easy to replace - on the underside, 3 or 4 screws have a "K" beside them. Remove those, then lift out keyboard and unplug. Reverse to install! I just pulled out my D610 and it doesn't have the same easy setup - not sure how to do it!

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I've heard Gateways are okay. But only a couple of people I know use them. I was considering them for my next laptop purchase.

forcesofhabit
January 16th, 2007, 06:49 AM
I have a Toshiba laptop and have no compatibility problems with (X)Ubuntu whatsoever.

Sef
January 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
If you want to get one with Ubuntu installed, check out System76 (http://system76.com).

riven0
January 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
IBM/Lenovo. You're not going to get better.

Oh yeah, the keyboard is the best.

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
IBM/Lenovo. You're not going to get better.

Oh yeah, the keyboard is the best.
not exactly the best price/performance though, IMO. but probably will be the best compatibility with linux.

MkfIbK7a
January 16th, 2007, 07:10 AM
there is a laptop covered in hand crafted mahogany sold for 2600$ with linux on it...

BarfBag
January 16th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys! :D You guys made some good suggestions. I think I'm going to stop in Office Depot (before you say it - it's the only "computer" place in biking distance :P) and test out a few.

darweth
January 16th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I would only buy Asus or Sager personally. I wouldn't even consider anything else unless I was on a budget and then it would be Dell.

Well, I would also consider Apple, but that is a different story...

mips
January 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Thinkpad is the way to go.

They also have the best feeling keyboards of all laptops.

McLogic
January 26th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Dell makes a bunch of super-plain intel laptops. The laptops are plain, so close to everything works. You will also find LOTS of other people using the same type of computer, so you will not be alone when something dosen't work.

Insomniac20k
January 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM
You can't go wrong with the thinkpad. Dells are not a safebet, especially if you want to use wireless.

I bought a gateway and have not had a problem. Generally if you stick with centrino chipsets you can't go wrong.

I would check to see if you can get a deal on a dissplay model. That's how I got mine. It was a 1200 dollar laptop marked down to 500 because someone messed with it and ****** up windows, and someone else stole the battery (which cost 50 bucks to replace, but I spent 150 on a battery that'll last nearly 8 hours :) )

Those system76 notebooks look real nice too

johnfarrow
January 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
well i like ibm thinkpads but lenovo took over the companys computer making...

you might like one though they are nice and i have one that runs kubuntu very well...

I have a z60m and am thinking of dual boot. Which one do you have?