PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox goes OpenSource

rbalfour
January 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.virtualbox.org/
There are version for 6.06 and 6.10

InnoTek VirtualBox is a family of powerful x86 virtualization products for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction; see "InnoTek" for more about our company.

Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows and Linux 32-bit hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4 and 2.6), and OpenBSD.

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 12:08 AM
hehe this has already been posted twice in this very same forum

dont forget to use that search button :)

rbalfour
January 16th, 2007, 01:19 AM
hehe this has already been posted twice in this very same forum

dont forget to use that search button :)

After reading ANOTHER "I just upgraded my kernel and now VMWARE dosen't work"
or "where can I get software to run Windows Apps"

This post will be my reply. vbox is free and works with Ubuntu. Doubtfully the VMware posts will stop.

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 01:25 AM
yeah, I like it better than vmware too. the point I was trying to make was people have already posted about VBox going open source so this thread is just a duplicate

AndyCooll
January 16th, 2007, 01:28 AM
](*,)

As maniacmusician pointed out, its already been reported here: New GPL virtualization software: Virtualbox
(http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=338931)

If you look further down the page you can see it!

:cool:

Brunellus
January 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Thread title changed to correct typo.

SuperMike
January 16th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Anyone know if we can take 2 or 3 PCs, put Ubuntu Server across them in a cluster, and then inside this single space put multiple VirtualBox VMs for more Ubuntu Servers? That way, someone could approach me and ask for their own server for their own project, and I could say, "No Problem" and knock it out in a matter of 5 minutes using a binary VM image from a previous clean install. By using a cluster, if one Ubuntu Server goes down that hosts the VM images, the other one can handle the load temporarily while I rebuild another box to repair the cluster. Also, you can only host so many VMs on a single box, but this grows much larger if you can build the VMs on an underlying cluster. Besides, mainframes used to have clusters for the VMs, right?

maniacmusician
January 16th, 2007, 05:30 AM
sounds intriguing, but honestly I'd have no clue how to do that...the cafe probably isnt the best place to ask :) It sounds complicated. Make a guide if you ever get around to trying it :) and lemme know if you do.

againu
December 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Anyone know if we can take 2 or 3 PCs, put Ubuntu Server across them in a cluster, and then inside this single space put multiple VirtualBox VMs for more Ubuntu Servers?

Hi SuperMike,

Did you actually moved forward on it? I am looking for same answer. Please share any solution if you have one.
Thanks

Kosimo
December 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Two years old 3rd...

necroposting!