PDA

View Full Version : FSF on the iPhone

BWF89
January 15th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think it's a mistake for Apple to not allow third party software on their phone. People could have been developing & porting all kinds of cool games or other useful applications for it. Instead your stuck with whatever Apple decides you need.

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/iphone

peabody
January 15th, 2007, 09:45 PM
From the sounds of things it looks like it'll get hacked anyway, I wouldn't be too concerned. Not that Apple's behavior isn't something worth getting worked up over, but this really isn't the first time they've done something like this.

saulgoode
January 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I think it was a mistake for Apple to come out with a phone, period. It is most likely that the half dozen communications companies (that are each as large as Microsoft) will now enter the music distribution field. Of course, competition will be great for consumers; I just think Apple screwed up.

BWF89
January 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
I think it was a mistake for Apple to come out with a phone, period. It is most likely that the half dozen communications companies (that are each as large as Microsoft) will now enter the music distribution field. Of course, competition will be great for consumers; I just think Apple screwed up.
If Apple didn't come into the communications field those companies still would have entered the music distribution field. Apple already has a stranglehold mp3 player market, why not expand? When they came out with the iPod everyone was suprised and though Apple should have stayed in the computer market.

doobit
January 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
If Apple didn't come into the communications field those companies still would have entered the music distribution field. Apple already has a stranglehold mp3 player market, why not expand? When they came out with the iPod everyone was suprised and though Apple should have stayed in the computer market.

They have a strangle hold on their proprietary format of music compression, not mp3 distribution. Other companies, like Sony, and HP and Nokia have been making phones that also play mp3s. This had the effect of obsoleting the ipod, so Apple had to do something, quickly.

tigerpants
January 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
I wish Apple would just die. Overpriced, overhyped tupperware crap.