PDA

View Full Version : Any problem transferring your set-up and data in Ubuntu to your new PC?

Handssolow
January 15th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Being familiar with the restrictions imposed by Msoft if you upgrade your PC, how are things in Ubuntu? In *******s, Bill and his company are very concerned that his company's software might be installed on a machine for...for .. horror... oh horror ....for free. So, If you have ******* installed on your hard drive and you transfer this to a new mobo with a new cpu then alarm bells sound in the ******* software and all hell breaks loose. Thou has transgressed. You are assumed to be a pirate and are part of the scum of the earth, if you catch my drift.

More to the point, I would like to know what would happens if I suddenly transfer my Ubuntu hard drive to a completely different mobo and cpu. A secondary question concerns the transfer of an Ubuntu OS from an older SATA drive to a newer SATA drive that might be supported by your new hardware but wasn't supported by your older system.

What have other people done to retain their/your Ubuntu settings and data when you upgraded your hardware?

AndyCooll
January 15th, 2007, 09:53 PM
With Linux the problems are due more to configuration and compatability issues than licences etc.

I've moved HDD's etc between boxes and not had any problems. And I'm sure there are plenty of people who can say the same. At the same time there are threads on these boards where folk have had problems, so maybe I've just been fortunate.

So can't say you will, can't say you won't have issues. Pays your money takes your pick!

:cool: