PDA

View Full Version : Java applets on gnome desktop panel

Seine
January 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hi

I'd like to write an applet for the gnome desktop panel, similar to contact-lookup-applet (http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/contact-lookup-applet-0.10). I'd like to do it in Java though.

I've googled a bit to see if this is possible and seen bits and pieces about a Java-gtk package. But I'm not sure how to use it of it is even what I'm after.

Any pointers to get me started? (I'm OK with the Java side, its integrating to the gnome panel that I'm curious about).

Thanks
Seine

Seine
January 16th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Interesting. I edited the title to reflect the post more accurately and it hasn't changed in the thread list. I've been having bad luck recently getting responses to my posts. Perhaps there's something wrong with the way I write them? ;)

Tomosaur
January 16th, 2007, 02:40 AM
All you'd need is the java-gtk package itself and the relevant documentation. GTK stands for 'gnome tool kit'. It's pretty likely this is what you'll be looking for. I don't know the exact ins and outs of the gnome-applet stuff, but it should be possible, sure. Just find the java-gtk documentation and you're on your way :)

Asham
October 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
May I bump this thread and ask how it went? You see, I too am wondering about this. Maybe I should learn Python for GUI stuff instead, but I don't wanna.

Adam