PDA

View Full Version : What age are you?

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 07:06 AM
After seeing some of the members here posting about their families and such, my idea of the major age group for linux(in general) has begun to shift(i thought it was a younger age group). So i want to take a poll to see what the major demograph is for age groups of people using ubuntu.

of course, its a poll so your anonymous, no need to have to single out you old folk ;) (jk)

pmj
January 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hi House, what's up?

I'm 26.

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Nearly twenty. Started digging into computers at the age of four. Didn't really get technical until I was about ten and linux first made it into my software dossier at about twelve.

obsidion
January 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
After seeing some of the members here posting about their families and such, my idea of the major age group for linux(in general) has begun to shift(i thought it was a younger age group). So i want to take a poll to see what the major demograph is for age groups of people using ubuntu.

of course, its a poll so your anonymous, no need to have to single out you old folk ;) (jk)

But we old folk know the difference between your and you're, which few of you youngsters seem to :)

~LoKe
January 15th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I would split it up differently, but I'm 16-20.
19, to be exact.

But we old folk know the difference between your and you're, which few of you youngsters seem to :)

I know plenty of older people who confuse the two. In fact, I would say the younger you are, the more likely you are to know the difference. Considering that education is much more...important now than it used to be. For example, plenty of people a couple decades ago would drop out to work (assuming they were old enough).

kevinf311
January 15th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Aw man! That kind of thing angers me greatly. I have to use a high level of restraint to keep myself from going spelling/grammar nazi on them. I write in a fairly conversational tone, but basic errors like that just infuriates me.

Oh, and um... I'm 22 :) Should be interesting to see the results.

~LoKe
January 15th, 2007, 07:52 AM
The only one that really bothers me is when someone misspells "grammar" as "grammer".

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I worked as a manger at McDonald's for three years. While I was in a close proximity to the ages of the crew working under me I too was infuriated by ignorance. Stupidity is my kryptonite.

azkehmm
January 15th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Aw man! That kind of thing angers me greatly. I have to use a high level of restraint to keep myself from going spelling/grammar nazi on them. I write in a fairly conversational tone, but basic errors like that just infuriates me.

Oh, and um... I'm 22 :) Should be interesting to see the results.

Uuuh... take a look at any random MMO forum (well, not EVE, but any other). You'd die from a heart attack in there :)

Anyways, 23 here. Got my first PC when I was 6, and only just recently had the courage to try linux.

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 08:08 AM

oh please, if i wanted to take the time to stop and think about which form of "your" i want to use i would also be capitalizing all the "i's" in my sentences and using apostrophes in my "it's" and "i've"'s.

its not that i don't know the difference, its just that i choose to ignore them for the sake of typing faster.(and not being a grammar nazi like some;) )

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM
The excuse of weakness. ;)

I find I can type as fast and it comes quite easily to use proper grammar without hindering my typing ability.

Now that being said, I'm not trying to flame someone for their typing. It's just personal preference.

kevinf311
January 15th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Uuuh... take a look at any random MMO forum (well, not EVE, but any other). You'd die from a heart attack in there :)

Yeah, I frequent the Adult Swim message boards. The average level of literacy there is depressingly low. I have found a way to deal with it, though. I read the posts exactly as they are written.

Example: "Liek when your totally wasted everythg tsates beta"
Interpreted: Liek (a proper noun), that one time that your "totally" (another noun) wasted every[*sneezes*]ates beta (apparently the beta of the ates program).

Unfortunately, this isn't a complete sentence, so I just dismiss it anyway.

On Topic: I didn't get into computers until around Windows 3.1. Second computer was a Win98 box, then XP when I went away to college. Dabbled in Linux shortly after that, full convert last spring.

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM
The excuse of weakness. ;)

I find I can type as fast and it comes quite easily to use proper grammar without hindering my typing ability.

Now that being said, I'm not trying to flame someone for their typing. It's just personal preference.

at least im better than the majority of people my age(and maybe just depending what site you're on. i make sure everything is spelled correctly and i use proper grammar(except for the occasional "your" or "your're"), i just don't bother capitalizing or using punctuation except for commas and periods(unless needed, such as quotes):rolleyes:

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 08:27 AM
This much is very true. I'm not hating. I'm a grammar Nazi. I have to be. I'm a tall, muscular, blonde hair, blue eyes, full German. Hah. :mrgreen:

obsidion
January 15th, 2007, 08:37 AM
This much is very true. I'm not hating. I'm a grammar Nazi. I have to be. I'm a tall, muscular, blonde hair, blue eyes, full German. Hah. :mrgreen:

Hee hee ...there is German somewhere back in my tree as well. Though it is of the shorter Dark Haired variety, ie Jewish.

The thing with the mistakes/laziness of your and you're and its and it's, is that they have totally different meanings.

your is a possessive pronoun as in it belongs to
you're is a pronoun verb combination ie you are
its is a possessive pronoun as in it belongs to
it's is a pronoun verb combination as in it is

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'm so German I'm practically right off the boat. :p

Anywho, with context clues we've all managed to get this far. :)

obsidion
January 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM
>On Topic: I didn't get into computers until around Windows 3.1. Second computer was a Win98 box, then XP >when I went away to college. Dabbled in Linux shortly after that, full convert last spring.

Real youngster in that case then, my first foray was a sincalir zx80 then onto zx81, spectrum, Atari ST, 286 dos, 386 dos, 486 3.11, then 95, 98 and linux for the last 6 years

floke
January 15th, 2007, 09:06 AM
> Real youngster in that case then, mine first foray was a sincalir zx80...

Surely you mean 'my first foray'?

Come on, standards slipping again already!

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Surely you mean 'my first foray'?

Come on, standards slipping again already!

we all have slip-ups sometimes, and don't call him shirley /badjoke

gibbylinks
January 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Not mentioning my age, but my first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48kb with extra RAM plugged in the back. It was prone to RAM "wobble" when it would crash and reset itself.

Very frustrating when you were half way through typing game code in from the pages of Computer & Video Games Magazine, and then they started to come on pre-recorded audio cassettes !! :rolleyes:

obsidion
January 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
we all have slip-ups sometimes, and don't call him shirley /badjoke

Good movie though :)

obsidion
January 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Not mentioning my age, but my first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48kb with extra RAM plugged in the back. It was prone to RAM "wobble" when it would crash and reset itself.

Very frustrating when you were half way through typing game code in from the pages of Computer & Video Games Magazine, and then they started to come on pre-recorded audio cassettes !! :rolleyes:

Never saw one of those had the rampack on the zx81 to make it 16 but my 48K was the one with the built in ram. Still have a real Sinclair 128K around here somewhere, the one made before Sinclair was bought out by Amstrad

slimdog360
January 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Im 20 but turning 21 in a few weeks so I put down the 21-26 bracket

Mike_Longbow
January 15th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like they're are no kids nor old guys around here... yet.

Hehehe, I fall in the highest populated category... I'm 18... I think we'll win ;)

And stop that gramar nazi thing... come on, english isn't my primary language, and even so I try my best to use it properly.

truthfatal
January 15th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm physically 26. :p

I act like a 18 year old sometimes though.

Xenix
January 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I am 21 - 26. Got my first PC when I was 10. Started out using MS-DOS. Have been in and out of Linux for 7 years now.

xpod
January 15th, 2007, 01:07 PM
36....or 37.....can never quite remember:-k

I`m surrounded by children though and they reckon i`m a bigger kid than them most of the time:mrgreen:

jclmusic
January 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM
i'm 19.

BWF89
January 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM

rabid9797
January 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM
well it seems that the major demographic is about as low as i thought it was, but there are certainly alot more people with a higher age than i thought. guess you learn something everyday

rowanparker
January 15th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Looks like I'm the only 15 year old to vote :)

HoMe_CaNiBaL
January 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
hi there...

21 here :D

zerhacke
January 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'm 29, I turn 30 in late May.

The Mekon
January 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM
How many of us are over 70 like me (a 1936 Model).

Brian

Randomskk
January 15th, 2007, 11:56 PM

+1
;p

Lord Illidan
January 15th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I am 17, will be 18 in April. Been using computers since I was 10...got my A+ and started tinkering seriously with them at 13, then started linux at 14, started taking it seriously at 15, started ubuntu at 16, and never looked back.

IusedTObeSOMEONEelse
January 16th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Pleasant 43 as of last week (Jan. 7th) Just started using computers in the past year. Went to business school in 1979 and started on an IBM 5252 and using punch cards. fast forward about 20 or so years and had to learn computer all over again:evil:

wert613
January 16th, 2007, 04:51 AM

actually im also 15:D

dbott67
January 16th, 2007, 04:59 AM
The ball drops on the big 4-0 for me in 2 days.... yikes!

I started on the Commodore PET 16/64 K models, VIC 20, C64 up through many versions of DOS, Windows 3.x/9x/NT/2000/XP/2003, throw in a Mac with OSX, and of course, Ubuntu!

-Dave (I guess I'm no longer a kid)

Scunizi
January 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM
46 here. At least I think so. You know what they say.... first the mind slips then.... but I (die)(gress).. Started selling 4k Model 1 TRS-80 when they first came out and tinkered. I didn't buy my first computer ($2,500 - Tandy Model 1000 64k or so) until the mid 80's. Been hooked ever since. I never got into programming but enjoyed making it do the work that took me hours. Real excitement was when Visicalc came out then Multiplan afterwards. That really made the day to day thing easier.. Studying XHTML/CSS etc now and trying to get my kids (15/10) interested in Linux. It's tough. They're gamers, when I let them. ;)

wert613
January 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM
($2,500 - Tandy Model 1000 64k or so)

wow
i bought a stack of 3 tandy laptops for 18 bucks at a convention one time...

irish_flu
January 16th, 2007, 07:11 AM
31 here.

The first machines I used were the Apple II, some sort of Atari (computer, not the console*) and the C64.

The first computer I owned (like Scunizi) was the Tandy 1000 (mine was a TL/2). I still have it in my closet, complete with joystick, monitor (I could see 16 colors!) keyboard, mouse, and printer. I think I even have the mousepad.

* speaking of consoles, I had both PONG and the Atari 2600 once, wish I still had them.

NeoLithium
January 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM

EDIT-
I just noticed we have some under 15...I hope that's true. It'd be GREAT to see people liking linux that young.

steven8
January 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
No grammar for you!

wert613
January 16th, 2007, 08:36 AM

EDIT-
I just noticed we have some under 15...I hope that's true. It'd be GREAT to see people liking linux that young.

there are afew 13 year olds

i personnaly am 15...

steven8
January 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I am 41, but I don't feel a day over sixty!

golem3
January 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I'm 21 here.

I only wish that someone would have introduced me to Ubuntu earlier than four months ago!

vote_quimby
March 1st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Another 15 year old here!

red_Marvin
March 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM

Sunflower1970
March 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised most of the votes center in the mid 20s there, and the number of older people too (I'm ...sadly....36 :( but feel 26 :) ) Is it that Linux appeals to those that are older?

First computer I played on was a TRS-80 my dad brought home from work. Westward Ho! was the game my brother and I played on it--it was on one of those 5" floppy discs..about the only thing we could do on it (I was 13 he was 9)..At some point he figured out some simple programming to make it snow on the screen....I stuck with the game...programming never really interested me....

kazuya
March 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM
I am 30 this year.

viper
March 1st, 2007, 03:51 PM
Damn I`m 44 this year, now after checking out the poll i feel like an old fart!!!!:)

kazuya
March 1st, 2007, 05:09 PM
But Viper, you are young inside. Age is but a number here. Similar interests ties us in. Miss having to see the comments at the desktop screenies. who cares about the scores.

Pikestaff
March 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
I'm 23... 24 this year, but not until the very end of the year ;)

NewOldTimer
March 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
48 ---- I feel like a 21year old, but the wife sez I can't have one :)

rabid9797
March 2nd, 2007, 12:01 AM
wow this thread got mega bumped.

glad to see we got so many voters, and i am still truly astounded by the amount of age variety among this crowd. =D>

Coelocanth
March 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm 43.

I (vaguely) remember way back when, I took a year of courses in COBOL, Basic, and Fortran. Didn't use a computer again for years. First one I ever owned was a Dell the wife and I bought in 2000. I knew nothing about them (other than how to turn one on and shut one down) until just over a year ago, when I got a virus/malware and was really ticked off that I had to pay someone to fix it. So, I learned a little more about the OS, learned about hardware (and built my own computer), and then discovered Ubuntu, Now I've got 2 hard drives with 4 OSes installed (Windows XP, Dapper, Edgy with Beryl, and SuseLinux 10.2), and the wife thinks I'm a total geek.

Not bad for just over a year's worth of learning, huh?

rabid9797
March 2nd, 2007, 12:07 AM
wow, looks like someone found a hidden interest. going from barely using a computer to multiple boot system and building your own computer in one year is hell of a change. you must of had a real interest for it to learn so much in such a little time. i guess your not one to be cautious huh? lol

Coelocanth
March 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
wow, looks like someone found a hidden interest. going from barely using a computer to multiple boot system and building your own computer in one year is hell of a change. you must of had a real interest for it to learn so much in such a little time. i guess your not one to be cautious huh? lol

:lol: Yeah, when I find something that interests me, I don't hold back on it.

skywalker___
March 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:
I been 31 as of December 29 of 06

STREETURCHINE
March 2nd, 2007, 01:54 AM
47 here

igknighted
March 2nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I frequent the Adult Swim message boards. The average level of literacy there is depressingly low. I have found a way to deal with it, though. I read the posts exactly as they are written.

Example: "Liek when your totally wasted everythg tsates beta"
Interpreted: Liek (a proper noun), that one time that your "totally" (another noun) wasted every[*sneezes*]ates beta (apparently the beta of the ates program).

Unfortunately, this isn't a complete sentence, so I just dismiss it anyway.

On Topic: I didn't get into computers until around Windows 3.1. Second computer was a Win98 box, then XP when I went away to college. Dabbled in Linux shortly after that, full convert last spring.

Haha, you pretty much just repeated my life story... even joined here the same month

blockcipher
March 2nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
Will turn 29 on the 18th of March.

viper
March 2nd, 2007, 02:12 AM
But Viper, you are young inside. Age is but a number here. Similar interests ties us in. Miss having to see the comments at the desktop screenies. who cares about the scores.

Thanks kazuya :), ditto i miss the comments also don`t care about the scores, been trying to get a mod to fix up the issue but no luck so far, hopefully soon. Take care mate....

Aranel
March 2nd, 2007, 02:23 AM
Another youngster here: 15.

By the time I was old enough to really understand how to use a PC, Windows 3.1 was quickly being replaced with Windows 95. I didn't become overly interested in computers until two years ago or so, though, and I eventually got so fed up with Windows XP's habit of lagging that I went full-steam-ahead and installed Linux sometime last year. And, well... here I am. :)

It's a good thing I found Linux when I did, too, because I saved my mom a lot of money when her computer randomly kicked the proverbial bucket. The restore CDs we'd ordered from HP didn't work, so BAM! I installed Linux (SuSE 10.1 - this was long before the Microsoft deal, mind you). Anyway, I've become a sort of Linux prophet to my generation; some of my (for the most part computer-illiterate) friends think it looks pretty neat, although I haven't convinced anyone to install it just yet.

Bear
March 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
54 here...:cool:

EdThaSlayer
March 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm 17 and only recently(1 year ago) I started to use Linux. :)

tbodine
March 2nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Sixteen -- although in ten days I'll be seventeen, whoo!
I've been using GNU/Linux as my only operating system for about three years now -- about 55% on Ubuntu, 35% on Gentoo, 5% on Fedora Core, and 5% on random other distributions, but I'm all Ubuntu now.

karellen
March 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm 23, 24 coming this year

glotz
March 2nd, 2007, 06:58 PM
Can I vote again in 5 years?

gtratter
March 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
49 here - hitting the big 50 this year!
Always was interested in Linux and recently I am in a position where I no longer have to use my personal laptop for business. I found Ubuntu and I am hooked.
I always wanted to learn programming languages and I am starting wtih Python 101.
It's exciting to think what the next 50 years will bring!
Cheers,
G

montgoej
March 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
15 here, I've grown up with computers. I got really interested when I was about 7, I've got a picture of me in the school computer lab from that time and I won't even turn around to look at the camera.
~Jordan Montgomery

Hendrixski
March 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
That's an interesting spread. Over half of the users on this forum are between the ages of 16 and 26. I'm impressed by the percentage of people in their 40's who use this forum. I think we need more of those in here. Perhaps there should be an initiative to get more people in that age range.

24 BTW

SurR3AL
March 2nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
i'm 16!! :)

Dr. Falken
March 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
25 yo here...

justin whitaker
March 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Today, I think I am paleolithic.

Oh, wait, wrong question. :)

TheOtherLinuxFreak
March 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
14.... a year ago i heard about linux from our computer repair man. he gave me a knoppix disk but i didnt like it. so i quit linux for like a month and heard about ubuntu on the internet. i only have a pentim 2 so i downloaded xubuntu. from then on ive been using xubuntu and trying switch my parents to it.

kilis
March 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
I am 12 years old and love linux. :D

EmilyRose
March 2nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'm just 22, but am about (literally!) to have my first child... I'm 39wks pregnant... and currently having some mild contractions;)

mikerduffy
March 3rd, 2007, 02:10 AM

That data set sure is pretty.

LookTJ
March 3rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
almost 16

rabid9797
March 3rd, 2007, 04:41 AM
bumparoo

yabbadabbadont
March 3rd, 2007, 04:45 AM
Bumping a non-support request thread is really bad form.... :p

cubanresourceful
March 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM
Im 16, and loving Ubuntu. Got rid of windows permanentely, and living in open sourced heaven! :D

Belyel
March 14th, 2007, 12:49 AM
23, working for a master's degree. Started on a commodore64 that my family inherited from my grandpa, who used to live on the bleeding edge (of tech, anyway). I broke our 386 and our 486 numerous times by touching things in windows I shouldn't have... then found linux when I came to college. Trying to get my 'rents to join the light side, but they are stuck in their ways. Running 'buntu on two laptops and a desktop, and Red Hat on another desktop.

jeffc313
March 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM
just turned 16 today!

milehigh
March 15th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'm physically 26.

I act like a 18 year old sometimes though.

I'm physically 52. I act like a nine year old sometimes though.:grin:

Watson
March 15th, 2007, 01:29 AM
i'm 19 in two weeks. :)

mar225
March 15th, 2007, 02:31 AM
15 and six months away from a drivers license

Ripfox
September 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Just wondering what age groups Ubuntu spans...

faraaz
September 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'm 21..

James7
18:)

kelvin spratt
i'm 58 but feel 20.

Ripfox
September 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
I am 33 and everybody guesses I am 25. :)

Wharf Rat
September 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
48 in two weeks.

Lozz
September 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
I'm 18 but for some reason I am always mistaken for being somewhat older, as well as quite often for being homeless.

Sockerdrickan
September 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

RageOfOrder
September 22nd, 2007, 08:09 PM
20, and starving now excuse while I eat my subway

TeraDyne
September 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM

ComplexNumber
September 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
ok, i'm merging this thread(ie "How old is everyone here?") with an early thread/poll on the same topic. below is a screenshot of the poll as it stands.

zero244
September 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
quite a cross reference of ages. I am 57.......I finally grew up and started using Ubuntu.

R_U_Q_R_U
September 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
My first computer was an Atari 800, when it was new, and cost over $1,000 with one 80 KB floppy drive.

American_Outcast
September 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
37 here.

Several family members that are or will be using Ubuntu soon range from 17-60 but they are not a part of this forum.

289Shelby
September 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM

kish
September 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Started around 11
got to the ultimate joy at 19 with ubuntu.
Been hacking around with other electro junk for as long as I can remeber.
Nice pic BTW house

-grubby
September 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM

walkerk
September 22nd, 2007, 10:27 PM

giambrone
September 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Converted to Ubuntu after my first BSoD...Been happy ever since. That was age...well... ever :-)

17 now.

Ah...Memories

texasjim
September 23rd, 2007, 01:39 AM
My first computer was an IBM 360, although I did work on a few 1401's... Then 370's, 4300's, 390's, s/37's, s/3's.
First software was IBM DOS(mainframe), then DOS.VS, DOS/VSE, MVS, VM370. Taught OS internals during the 70's.
I cant quite remember, but I must be about 61. Never enjoyed PCs till i found linux, esp Ubuntu and Mint.

Matt 6:27
September 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM

I helped my dad build an Altair 8800 in '75. S100 Bus, 16k of ram, used a teletype for a keyboard and to load programs (no hard drive at the time - paper tape rolls w/a million hole punches). His Altair is OLDER than the one sitting next to the first Apple at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC. Inexplicably, I didn't end up in the computer field... but I still play around with them. :-k

petunia50
September 23rd, 2007, 09:44 PM
The thing that really bothers me is when a native english speaker mispronounces the word nuclear & uses nucular instead.

Midwest-Linux
September 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM

My brother is the computer guru, I am still playing catchup. I remember my brother being on BBS with the phone cradle modem in the late 80's using a Commodore (128?).

I was on the internet briefly in late 1995, I had Compuserve with a 386 machine Windows 3.1 and a 28 kps modem back then. I remember times where though it was possible to connect to Compuserve, the internet portion of it would go down and not work. I think Compuserve was the only one offering a flat rate plan for like $22 per month or something like it. The computer either died an I just didn't have the extra money and time to get it working again. I remember that PGP was becoming popular around this time. While there was a Mac version that worked a GUI, the pc version only ran in DOS with a command line.

I was off the internet and no computer again until 1999, the machine was a 486 and 48 MB ram windows 98 and hard drive was like maybe 4 gig. I remember Deja-News and Altavista being popular. I was paying $19 a month or unlimited dial up from my local phone provider. Been on continuosly since 1999.

My interest in Linux was spurred from the inability of finding a new computer with Windows XP in the brick and mortar stores. I didn't want or be forced to use a Vista computer as my only new computer option. I since found out more in the last six months about computers, windows, linux and everything related...than I have since 1995 when I was on the internet for a short time.

AshDragonScale
October 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Got my first computer at age 8, Tandy TRS-80 Model III... Started programming in basic on it. My brother had computers and I used his till I got married and we got our own. It was a Gateway 333 Mhz. From there I started building my own computers and when I learned about linux I started playing with it. My first install of Debian was a total flop, in fact my first 20 installs of it was a flop. Therefore I was running from linux to windows and back and forth. Just trying to learn what I was doing wrong. Found Ubuntu back version 6 something and installed it. Ran win / ubuntu dual boot for a long time because I couldn't get things to work (and I was still on dial up at the time) under linux. Upgraded to 7.04, and now I am here, have 3 computers, This one (mine) and my wife's Laptop have 7.04 on them and my kids computer had win xp for now... They like there little games... and I can't get "barbie" to play with linux... so there I am...

(getting ready to build my son a ubuntu box... just gotta get more parts... any donations? lol)

TidusBlade
October 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Again im one of the youngest :P Only 14...

Martje_001
October 13th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Again im one of the youngest :P Only 14...
Me too...

-grubby
October 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Me too...

me three

American_Outcast
October 13th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I am just too old. I am very depressed right now............... :(:(:(

ventvent
October 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM
34 and getting older everyday.

hessiess
October 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Rui Pais
October 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
... and getting older everyday.

What a coincidence, me too! Maybe a disease or something we get somewhere...

American_Outcast
October 14th, 2007, 01:02 AM
What a coincidence, me too! Maybe a disease or something we get somewhere...

Hmmmm, maybe there is a cure then? A new pill, a new vaccine.... something that can combat this getting older each day thing.

So much for science!!!!!!!! :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

ShadowVlican
October 14th, 2007, 10:56 PM
21 and using computers since 12 (dos and win3.1)

kevin11951
November 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM
Trying to find out how old Ubuntu users are. Did one before, but people complained about how i setup the age groups, so here goes... again!

I think this will be fun to watch! :popcorn:

LaRoza
November 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
I am 19.

This thread is a dublicate of another, I think. I am too lazy to look for it.

-grubby
November 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
there's another thread on this somewhere. I'm 14

bapoumba
November 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
Threads merged.

ericesque
November 21st, 2007, 11:33 PM

Rev60073
November 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM

Been using PCs since the IBM PC XT 2MHz and DOS 2.0 :lolflag:

My first Linux experience was back in '94 with Linux Slackware.

Ionamay
November 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm 15. I thought there would be less people under 16... ^^

herbster
November 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I turned 25 a few weeks ago :)

guillelo11
November 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Im 15

erginemr
November 26th, 2007, 11:01 PM
33, here.

Chikitulfo
November 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM
hey people,

I am 18 and using linux for about half a dozen months now, so I still have plenty of things to learn about it ;)

Zipster90
November 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I'm 17. I got my first computer when I was 5, and I never looked back.

joker2of5
November 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Now that being said, I'm not trying to flame someone for their typing.

Proper?

The "proper" way to type the above sentence would have been to use a comma after now.

Now, that being said,

And what about the sentence fragment?
It's just personal preference.

Look, Im not usually a grammar nazi, but if you're going to fuss about the little stuff, do it correctly.

:)

When typing in an infomal matter I think it is most important to simply get you're message across.

Now those of you who really know what their talking about can correct the grammer in this post.

kelvin spratt
November 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'm 58 I think?

rabid9797
November 27th, 2007, 12:28 AM
well, with almost 550 votes now, i can see the demographics really averaged out(at the begining of this thread we had a majority > 30, but it seems that the true mean age has come out to be between 16 and 29. still though, im suprised by the size of the older population, if this is a truthful sample of ubuntu users, than ubuntu really has hit all age demographics. =D>

joker2of5
November 27th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I've been using computers since I was 8. I'm old, compared to the majority here.

My first computer was a commodore Vic 20, at the same time my grandfather had a Leading Edge with an 8086 processor, running DOS. Later I had a 286, 386, 486 Pentium... I can't even remember all the coputers I've had.

With the exception of the commodore all the computers I have experience with ran DOS or windows.

This is my first Linux box, and so far I love it.

perlluver
November 27th, 2007, 12:49 AM
24 here! Got my first computer in 1995.

defenestratos
November 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Beware. There are idiots lurking even on this great forum and I am one of them
First PC when I was 10. Microsoft lost me when they went graphical. Dos 5 ruled!!!

lemming552
November 28th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I was introduced to computers when I was 12 in 1975.

College was BSD Unix on PDPs and always did like Unix and Unix like OS's so Linux was a natural.

de_valentin
November 28th, 2007, 09:45 AM
31 started with computers at 10 (C4+, a C64 without the games) then quit untill I was 22.

rouge568
December 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM
I've been wondering, just how old is this community? If Ubuntu is to be the OS of the future, we need young minds to carry it there, and wizened winds to educate the young ones. But does the Ubuntu community have these demographics? So far, survey says "yes."

15, have had Ubuntu as only OS on computer since 13.

-grubby
December 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

rfruth
December 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
The poll you link to has expired but to answer your question I'me old enough :)

bapoumba
December 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Thread merged in this one.

(Why?)
Read the last post from the thread you quoted.

andrek
December 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm 17.

billgoldberg
December 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
Turned 21 in october.

rustybronco
December 2nd, 2007, 07:44 PM

happysmileman
December 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM

Lster
December 2nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
16, been using Ubuntu since I was 14...

Kingsley
December 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am 18.
Been using Ubuntu since I was 3.

fedex1993
December 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
i started using ubuntu 2 years ago but i have been know to play games at night when i was about 4 in my parents bed room lol so i have practially benn around them all my life

happysmileman
December 2nd, 2007, 09:20 PM
I am 18.

If only Ubuntu was that old, or if Linux was usable for that long.

bapoumba
December 2nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
I am 18.
Wow ^^

fedex1993
December 2nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
I am 18.

yeah i dont think ubuntu was even around back then maybe linux but when you where 3 it probley was none existinct

pcormack
December 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM
T + 25 years

Majorix
December 2nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I am 20 and met with Linux at 17 (at 19 with Ubuntu).

david_2001
December 2nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
49 and counting. First contact with computers was in 1973 or thereabouts courtesy of the London Schools Timesharing Scheme (or whatever it was actually called). Then it was a ZX81 soldered together from the kit, Dragon 32, Sharp MZ700 with a massive 64kb RAM, and a Sinclair QL. The rest have all been PC clones, mostly self-assembled. Been running GNU/Linux since 2001.

mellowd
December 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM

verdisquo
December 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I am 16, got Linux when I was like 9, started using ubuntu 2 years ago, but i switch operating systems all the time. I'm writing my own now... I'm never satisfied but right now UBuntu is my favorite, but I miss "WindowMaker" a bit, not a lot of people liked that but I loved it.

mmb1
December 15th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I'm 15 and I try my hardest not to sound like an idiot on here. (Please note correct spelling and grammar)

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 01:18 AM

Kingsley
December 15th, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'm 15 and I try my hardest not to sound like an idiot on here. (Please note correct spelling and grammar)

Your sentence is missing a comma. I'm not a Grammar Nazi though.:lolflag:

popch
December 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Your sentence is missing a comma. I'm not a Grammar Nazi though.

No, it is not. There are two complete sentences which are joined with the word 'and'. I am not a syntax storm trooper, either.

(evil grin)

siciliancasanova
December 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Your sentence is missing a comma. I'm not a Grammar Nazi though.:lolflag:

Hack me up all you want, I don't care. I would suggest though, if you're going to call others out and all, is that you spell "grammar Nazi" correctly. Grammar is not capitalized.

p_quarles
December 15th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Grammar is not capitalized.
/me agrees

Unless it starts a sentence. :D

iPower
December 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
im 28 years young :)

candtalan
December 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I am over retirement age and have voted. However I know of a number of others who use ubuntu. kubuntu, or suse - friends of mine etc who I help - are also at the very top of the age range shown.
These users are active computer users, but are not forum users and will not be in the voting population here.
I guess that younger users will be more active on forums, it is more a part of their culture. The older guys around here tend not to use the forums, they just ask me!
:-)

el_ricardo
December 16th, 2007, 10:28 PM

hhhhhx
December 17th, 2007, 01:38 AM
15:lolflag:

new2*buntu
December 17th, 2007, 01:50 AM
12 :)

ntowakbh
December 17th, 2007, 04:40 AM
14, I found out about linux when I was either 12 or 13. I downloaded my first live CD when I was 13. Didn't have room to actually install Linux on my computer until a few months ago. (But I already prefer to use it than XP :p)

Lord DarkPat
December 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Am 12. Started with openSUSE at 10. Started the linux revolution at skl.
Got tired of openSUSE and am now rockin my lap with Kubuntu:guitar:

Lord DarkPat
December 17th, 2007, 07:08 PM
it feels awesome to be away from all those WindBloze geeks at skl!!!

steveneddy
December 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I feel so old.

43, single parent, grandfather.

:popcorn:

chris4585
December 17th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I'm 16 and loving how ubuntu works, and want to share it with the world

Jergar
December 17th, 2007, 07:43 PM
My first PC was homebuilt. Z80CPU with 2k Ram and 2k Rom. :-) That was 1985 I think....

lespaul_rentals
December 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I am 17. Not really surprised to see the teens and young adults have stacked up some sizable numbers.

LaRoza
December 19th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Nineteen.

verdisquo
December 26th, 2007, 06:55 AM
My first PC was homebuilt. Z80CPU with 2k Ram and 2k Rom. :-) That was 1985 I think....

I'm two thousand and some years young, and I built my first computer with rocks and stones, and of course mice to power it on. I think it had no memory, no anything. It wasn't running Linux it was running "S," we had a thing called System back then. I was able to calculate addition like 3+2! It was simply amazing, I still have it. That was 763AD I think...

t0p
December 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM
oh please, if i wanted to take the time to stop and think about which form of "your" i want to use i would also be capitalizing all the "i's" in my sentences and using apostrophes in my "it's" and "i've"'s.

its not that i don't know the difference, its just that i choose to ignore them for the sake of typing faster.(and not being a grammar nazi like some;) )

Hmm... I know the difference between your and you're, its and it's, I use them in the appropriate place, and it certainly doesn't affect my keyboard speed. As I know which form of what to use, I don't have to think about it. And it's certainly got nothing to do with being a "grammar nazi". I like what I write to be correct. I don't try to enforce correctness on other people.

And knowing where to put apostrophes has nothing to do with age either! I knew that stuff when I was 12!

LaRoza
December 26th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hmm... I know the difference between your and you're, its and it's, I use them in the appropriate place, and it certainly doesn't affect my keyboard speed. As I know which form of what to use, I don't have to think about it. And it's certainly got nothing to do with being a "grammar nazi". I like what I write to be correct. I don't try to enforce correctness on other people.

And knowing where to put apostrophes has nothing to do with age either! I knew that stuff when I was 12!

"And it certainly doesn't have anything to do with being a 'grammar nazi'"

Couldn't resist, I am a grammar fascist myself :)

jperez
December 26th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I'm two thousand and some years young, and I built my first computer with rocks and stones, and of course mice to power it on. I think it had no memory, no anything. It wasn't running Linux it was running "S," we had a thing called System back then. I was able to calculate addition like 3+2! It was simply amazing, I still have it. That was 763AD I think...

ROTLCOPTER!! :lolflag:

Jesse~

Dapman01
December 26th, 2007, 07:58 AM
19:guitar:

popch
December 26th, 2007, 10:40 AM

I am old enough to have learned a few things, among them:

If you want someone to understand what you are writing, write in a manner understandable for that person.

That applies to legibilty when writing by hand. Italsoappliesabittotheuseoftrivialthingsliketheuse ofwhitespace.
cWeyemean?

cartisdm
January 5th, 2008, 04:50 AM
19 - and until seeing how young a lot of the kids are in this community I used to think I was a pretty smart cracker. Now I realized that I am apparently way behind schedule!

lenswipe
January 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
As it says on the can :)

lespaul_rentals
January 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM

bapoumba
January 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Thread merged.

jeffus_il
January 9th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Older than you.

I am green (above)

regomodo
January 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM

what did you think the average age was?

Bluecube
January 9th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Ugh. Depressingly in the middle at 30...

coolbrook
January 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
32 next month.

NovaAesa
January 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Turned 18 six months ago.

dummyhead3
January 10th, 2008, 05:11 AM

EDIT-
I'm 14, I just started in Ubuntu about 5 months ago, everyone in my class can now give you a detailed describtion of Linux. I even convinced my friend (he's 15) to install it. He installed 64 bit gusty, so every time I open my e-mail, half of the messages are from him (Java won't work, nor Frostwire, nor aMSN...).
Peace!

bufsabre666
January 10th, 2008, 05:16 AM
19, 20 in august

dgoodma
January 10th, 2008, 05:20 AM
I was curious about this demographic also, thanks for posting. But then, I had to pick the oldest category.

BOOMERS rock :guitar:

sujoy
January 10th, 2008, 05:53 AM
will be 20 later this month.

dlegend
January 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'm 19, turning 20 on Valentines Day :popcorn:

gupta_sumesh63
January 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
43 years and loving it.

CCNA_student
January 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
17, and only two other people are in my Linux User's Group(better than none!).

DjBones
January 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
well.. it might be that a larger proportion of younger kids like me (18 lol) would be talking on forums and such.
maybe older folks who learned linux in school would be less concerned with forums?

just a thought haha

YoungCthulhu
January 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I am 57 next birthday and as you can see by the picture above I am happy to be that age and barking mad as well. Is anyone out there in LinuxLand older than me and yet are still able to recite their own name while standing upright on their hind legs?

I can.

My first encounter with computers was during the second year of a BSc in pure and applied maths at Auckland University. The course was called Digital Computer Technology or something similar and we spent the first few lectures talking about "bootstrapping" and I understood it not. We went on to learn our first language whose instruction set consisted of a 5 (or 6?) digit octal number. The first two digits were the instruction, the last 3 were a memory address. As I recall "12110" meant "get the contents of memory address 110". Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing; is it like Assembler or "Short Code"? :confused:

Then they taught us FORTRAN IV and we thought we had all died and gone to heaven! Amazing!! Nothing could be better than this, surely!

I converted to Ubuntu Linux in 2006 using it on my home machine, which runs Ubuntu exclusively. I learned a bit early on, but then the learning curve has dropped off as I got more proficient with the Gnome desktop, and the distro improved. It is just too damn good and easy to use and I am too lazy!! It just works.

I keep spreading the word to my friends at work, but only know 3 other Ubuntic Ones. The one person who is most enthusiastic to chuck Windows, and go over to Linux, but has not yet, is my father, who is
83 next week! :grin:

Are there any others of the seriously geriatric persuasion out there? The poll results show mostly young people!

Cheers!

starfry
January 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
First got into computers in 1983 on a machine called a 380Z at school. Also learnt programming by tinkering on various machines in shops on the way home from school. First got into Linux in 1994.

popch
January 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The course was called Digital Computer Technology or something similar and we spent the first few lectures talking about "bootstrapping" and I understood it not. We went on to learn our first language whose instruction set consisted of a 5 (or 6?) digit octal number. The first two digits were the instruction, the last 3 were a memory address. As I recall "12110" meant "get the contents of memory address 110". Has anyone else encountered this sort of thing; is it like Assembler or "Short Code"?

Welcome to the club. When I was young, I even met a guy who was in 'hybrid computers' which were partially analog and partially digital. The number crunching part had to be so fast (but not all that accurate) that doing it in analog was affordable while doing it digitally was not. Something used in the aeroplane industry, I seem to recall.

121110 for 'fetch content of 110' would qualify as machine code, while something like '(label) fch 110' would qualify as assembler.

Er - how long do Cthulhus usually live that you qualify as a young one?

YoungCthulhu
January 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the club. When I was young, I even met a guy who was in 'hybrid computers' which were partially analog and partially digital. The number crunching part had to be so fast (but not all that accurate) that doing it in analog was affordable while doing it digitally was not. Something used in the aeroplane industry, I seem to recall.

Thanks for the info, Popch. Computers certainly were interesting back in the "old days"! I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of those lectures I attended now, or during some of the conversations we had.

For instance, I remember when a group of us young engineers had all just discovered BASIC and the ensuing argument we had with the head of computing at the large public utility where we all worked. We could see no reason why we should not be able to run our own BASIC programs on the large mainframe!! This was when I first realised the difference between program compilers versus interpreters :)

Why should an analogue computer be inaccurate? Does the accuracy depend on the measurement of current or voltage? I have seen somewhere that the programmers set up the program using a "peg board" of wires and connectors, like an old fashioned telephone exchange.

Er - how long do Cthulhus usually live that you qualify as a young one?
According to H P Lovecraft, quite a long time, really. Have a look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu

Cheers, and have a great 2008!

candtalan
January 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Why should an analogue computer be inaccurate? Does the accuracy depend on the measurement of current or voltage?
yes you are correct. A 'digital' value would be derived from using a physical measurement of voltage or more basically, current, with a meter or voltage comparison circuit I would expect. Accuracy came down to accuracy of basic components such as a resistor. Consumer resistors are, say, 10% accurate to nominal value, 1% is a bit unusual, and costs more. Special metals and construction can offer fractions of this, say 0.01% but the actual value will be temperature dependant etc.
0.01% is an uncertainty of 1 in 10,000 (true value between 10,001 and 9,999). And if more than one single component is used (!) then they all add up. So it makes a 2 dollar modern calculator look like a supercomputer!

geekygirl
January 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
33 turning 34 next month *sigh*.......

My first real experience with using a computer was typing BASIC into my Dad's ZX81 with the 6k RAM pack on the back...lol

Games used to come printed in the back of a magazine and you had to code them yourself....the 80's version of a demo cover CD lol

From the ZX81, at school we had Apple IIE's (good old black and green screens...hehe), we were one of the lucky families who had a Commodore Vic-20 with the tape drive and the cartridges on the back...Moonlander was THE game to have lol

Amiga after that...I sneer at all this talk of widescreen 32" uber screens today when the Amiga used to be hooked up to our 60cm colour TV...hehehehe....and you had to pack the whole computer up because Dad was home and wanted to watch the news...lol

286, 386...remember the "Turbo" button? LOL....Windows 3.11...my first Pentium...a 100MHz MMX CPU....my first experience on the internet in 1992....lol

My first play of Linux was about 5-6 years ago with a CD of SUSE that I was given by someone...except it did not recognize my DVD/CD drive after the install, nor my winmodem...and just gave me the irrits....then I was given a copy of Warty Warthog and haven't looked back since...ok there was this one time when I ran Vista..but I would rather not talk about that now....

lol

Actually I am glad I am in this age bracket as we are the first generation to have grown up with computers in day to day life...and seen the rise of the internet to what it is now...yay :)

peabody
February 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
well, with almost 550 votes now, i can see the demographics really averaged out(at the begining of this thread we had a majority > 30, but it seems that the true mean age has come out to be between 16 and 29. still though, im suprised by the size of the older population, if this is a truthful sample of ubuntu users, than ubuntu really has hit all age demographics. =D>

I think to be fair, this survey is a self-selected sample of people who frequent the ubuntu forums. It doesn't surprise me that that demographic would be young.

If you asked the same survey in the ubuntu mailing list I would conjecture that the demographic would be higher (though not much higher), but again it would be a self-selected sample.

There's probably no easy way to get a representative sample of the age demographic without doing something draconian like asking during the upgrade and installation procedures :).

And PCs really didn't become widespread until the 90's, so it doesn't surprise me that the numbers > 30 are low.

P.S.: For the record I'm 27. Been using Linux in some form since 1999. And while I know the difference between "your" and "you're" and "their there and they're, it's and its" I almost never get them straight when typing a quick reply in the forums.

ashmew2
February 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I'm 16. Beein using Ubuntu for over a year now. I know the difference between You're and Your. Im in india where the "freeness" of software doesnt acctually count because 99% home users got everything out of illegal torrent sites . But still We (me and my group of about 5 people) , strive to keep Ubuntu popular in our hometown ^^.

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2008, 07:13 PM
According to H P Lovecraft, quite a long time, really. Have a look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
Don't look at that link. If you know about it, you will be held responsible for your knowledge. :)

Did you know there is actually a game called Call of Cthulhu (http://www.callofcthulhu.com/)?

Games used to come printed in the back of a magazine and you had to code them yourself....the 80's version of a demo cover CD lol

From the ZX81, at school we had Apple IIE's (good old black and green screens...hehe), we were one of the lucky families who had a Commodore Vic-20 with the tape drive and the cartridges on the back...Moonlander was THE game to have lol
Well, I'm 35 and I wasn't one of the "lucky families" until around '87 with a Commodore 64. We started off with an amber screen monitor, then progressed to a color tv.

I subscribed to RUN magazine and Compute!'s Gazette for Commodore. I remember spending countless hours entering the code for their stupid games.

kool_kat_os
February 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'm 13.....and i know some C++......ha ha.....ha

sixstorm
February 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM
22 here.

dgray_from_dc
February 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
29 and dreading 30.

Superkoop
February 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'm 17. I turn 18 on Sunday (17th).

I first started using computers when I was about 10 when I was walking by the public school in town, and they were tossing their old computers and monitors in the dumpster. And I was in shock seeing them just throw them in the dumpsters to go to a landfill, instead of get recycled or something. So I asked the janitors why they were simply throwing them away, and they said they were broken, and going to the landfill.
Me knowing that I should never believe what the people that work for the public schools say, I waited until the janitors went back inside, and then I ran over to the dumpster and quick grabbed as much as I could carry in one load and still run. (which turned out to be two computers, a CRT monitor, a mouse and a keyboard) That was really too much for me to carry in one load, but the summer janitors scared me, so I just kept running until I was home. (3 blocks)
The only thing that kept me from dropping the monitor were all to cords being mangled up.
I got home and quickly hooked it all up to find out if it worked or not. It worked. (the ball of the mouse had fallen out, but it was fun to use the mouse without a ball =P)
And finding that all of that worked, I ran back to the school to grab another box or hopefully another monitor. But while I was in the dumpster, and my feet sticking up in the air, the janitors came back out. I quickly got out of the dumpster, not managing to grab anything. The janitors were yelling at me, but me not liking to get yelled at, I ran home. (making sure to take a roundabout way just in case they were following me)

The computers had Win95 on them, and were completely locked up by administrative disabling everything on them. But I remember I had managed to disable all of the administrative crap, and I could get in and really have some fun. (well as much fun as a 10yr old can have on a Win95 machine)

And that is my long winded story on how I first started using computers. :wink:

hhhhhx
February 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM