PDA

View Full Version : Customized Ubuntu-Ohio branded CDs

zerhacke
January 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Hehe, pretty soon we'll be distributing customized Ubuntu-Ohio branded CDs! :)

Ever since jacobmp92 said this in the usplash thread I've been mulling it over. How hard would it be to put together one?

I'd imagine we could do a GDM theme, a login splash, a wallpaper, a usplash, a grub image... maybe even set up our own repository for Ohio related software. Rolling it all into an ISO image and hand it out around the state would be the next logical step.

Any interest in this?

jpeddicord
January 15th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Hehe, I was waiting for this thread to come.

I'm interested. It sounds like a great idea. The repositories probably would be fine keeping the default ones, and maybe adding an additional repo for a metapackage like 'ubuntu-ohio-desktop.'

The only real problem is getting them onto CDs. It was mentioned in IRC that Lightscribe drives could be used, however they are monochromatic and the ink is expensive. It still seems like a feasible option though.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
January 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hehe, I was waiting for this thread to come.

I'm interested. It sounds like a great idea. The repositories probably would be fine keeping the default ones, and maybe adding an additional repo for a metapackage like 'ubuntu-ohio-desktop.'

The only real problem is getting them onto CDs. It was mentioned in IRC that Lightscribe drives could be used, however they are monochromatic and the ink is expensive. It still seems like a feasible option though.

If nothing else, I'd like to see the artwork for the CD's and I'll try to front as much Lightscribe cost as I can (I usually spend all my money I make into something related to ubuntu. I just bought the Official Ubuntu Book so I could better support others).

Honestly I'm not too sure about drastically changing the look. I'd like to see maybe an added "Provided by your Ohio Ubuntu Local Community" added to the GDM or the wallpaper.

closetpirate
February 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
This is an older thread but I would like to see if anything has come from this idea. I would be willing to donate some bandwidth for the repo and some compile time. maybe even some hardware to help. I like the idea. I pass out dapper as much as I can already and it would be cool to be able to pass around a localized version.

Any ideas that would make it more local? like um.......maybe an OSU theme or whatever

TheIdiotThatIsMe
February 4th, 2007, 09:07 PM
This is an older thread but I would like to see if anything has come from this idea. I would be willing to donate some bandwidth for the repo and some compile time. maybe even some hardware to help. I like the idea. I pass out dapper as much as I can already and it would be cool to be able to pass around a localized version.

Any ideas that would make it more local? like um.......maybe an OSU theme or whatever

Hey closetpireate! I'm not sure if something has come of this or not. I know there was development on a customized usplash for Ubuntu going on for a while. It wouldn't be all that hard to come up with some artwork for use in various places, and I can try and make some designs for CD covers and other CD designs. I will aim for Wednesday, but no promises since I have papers this week. If I have something that can help with this I'll show them at the IRC meeting on Wednesday.

See ya Wednesday hopefully! ):P

o0splitpaw0o
February 7th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Hows this for wallpaper: I could take some photos of my town, others can too, and then send them over. I got farm fields, small town here. it's snowing now, so some nice photos could be taken. Then with all the wallpaper, there can be a flavor on what makes Ohio,..... OHIO!

closetpirate
February 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sounds great this project is running pretty slow but we have been recruiting slowly. any icons or screenshots of suggested stuff would be cool. Just before I left I setup a box to work with the idea. More questions to ask. what kind of software should we include? Just like the Distro or different? Post ideas any at all[-o< Please pretty please.
Please with a giant cherry on top

zerhacke
February 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I knew this would be a good idea as soon as jacobmp said it.

Now that I have my DSL back I can poke and prod to see just what it would take to put together an Ohio distro. The usplash is pretty much finished. I can't think of anything else to do with it.

What I'm thinking is that I'll unpack the Ubuntu CD to disk, make the artwork changes (which there are plenty of) using the CD's filenames for our filenames, then repack to ISO hoping it will all fit to 700MB. This should keep the installer intact and when it installs XYZfile it'll be installing our version.

Someone more knowledgeable than I should check to see if this is a legal approach.

Wybiral
February 19th, 2007, 02:57 AM
If you guys need any programming related assistance, I'm pretty experienced with I386 Assembly/C/C++/Python/HTML/Javascript and I've got a lot of OpenGL experience (so I can do 3d games/demos and such)

Just let me know if any of that can help at all.

o0splitpaw0o
March 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
If nothing else, I'd like to see the artwork for the CD's and I'll try to front as much Lightscribe cost as I can (I usually spend all my money I make into something related to ubuntu. I just bought the Official Ubuntu Book so I could better support others).

Honestly I'm not too sure about drastically changing the look. I'd like to see maybe an added "Provided by your Ohio Ubuntu Local Community" added to the GDM or the wallpaper.

Got an ISO of this image? I could punch a few. I got SOME money right now and got an old socket A in the back of thw workshop that I can piece together to process some disks.

I am having people coming in now asking for disks, but I'm totally out now. I have done the unexpected. Made Ubuntu in demand in the area. I need help big time!

PWill
March 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Scott Merill (skippy) has a LightScribe DVD/CD burner. He showed me some discs he made, and they look pretty sweet.

watson540
March 8th, 2007, 05:06 AM
If you havent already..check out 'reconstructor' ..its exactly what you need. allows you to roll your own distro with anything and everything you could dream of in it..so easy a 12 year old could make their own custom live dvd/cd's :)

msak007
March 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Lightscribe is monochromatic, but I believe you meant the media is expensive. It doesn't use any ink as it etches the image directly onto the special surface of Lightscribe media. I just looked on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=10&N=2010100071+1087408093&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=71&Description=lightscribe&Ntk=all) and they have Verbatim 30 packs for $15 - not too terrible, about 50 cents each, but not as cheap as plain old CD-Rs.

When all is said and done though, it'd be a lot easier and cheaper than using labeling software, buying the labels, printing labels (unless you have a color laser, ink is expensive!), putting them on the CDs, etc. - it'd be a lot more than 50 cents / CD. I don't have a LightScribe burner or I'd offer to make the disks if that's the route we decide on, but I'd pitch in to buy some media.

netboy541
March 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM
My and my business partner buy and resell computers, and computer hardware. One thing we offer with the sale of complete PC is a load of Kubuntu or Ubuntu on the machine with all the stuff you'd ever need.

If you want Windows, then you have to provide it and I'll charge you accordingly for my time... :)

I have a MASSIVE HP Color laser printer that we acquired on a skid of PCs. It's currently sitting up in my office, doing nothing.

I'd be more than happy to run off a bunch of labels, provided the labels where provided to me or something. Once the toner is used up, the printer will be sold, unless I can find more toner for cheap. Currently, the toners are practically brand new, and the fuser is too, so I don't mind using it.. plus I have 3 more for parts. :)

Just let me know. I'm new here, but I certainly want to help.

PWill
March 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
My and my business partner buy and resell computers, and computer hardware. One thing we offer with the sale of complete PC is a load of Kubuntu or Ubuntu on the machine with all the stuff you'd ever need.

If you want Windows, then you have to provide it and I'll charge you accordingly for my time... :)

I have a MASSIVE HP Color laser printer that we acquired on a skid of PCs. It's currently sitting up in my office, doing nothing.

I'd be more than happy to run off a bunch of labels, provided the labels where provided to me or something. Once the toner is used up, the printer will be sold, unless I can find more toner for cheap. Currently, the toners are practically brand new, and the fuser is too, so I don't mind using it.. plus I have 3 more for parts. :)

Just let me know. I'm new here, but I certainly want to help.

Sounds great! I (and whoever else wants to help) can get started on the labels sometime this week.

netboy541
March 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
PM me if you want my ship-to address and I'll run 'em..