PDA

View Full Version : Loading Kubuntu side by side with Ubuntu using Gnome

CubicleDweller
January 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I want to run Ubuntu with KDE and Gnome side by side to get a good comparison of how it works. Plus I don't want to have to work out why Knoppix 5.1 doesn't support the video card in my server and what I would have to do to get around it.
Does anyone have any benchmarks or information/personal preference/ experience one way or the other as the best to run with Ubuntu?

nandasunu
January 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
assuming you have ubuntu (gnome) installed, just run:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

floke
January 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
To get KDE on ubuntu, open a terminal and enter

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

(if this doesn't work then use 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop)

then logout. from the login window select the option for 'sessions' and you can now select either kde or gnome

dbbolton
January 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM
don't be surprised when your boot splash changes to a blue kubuntu one.

v8YKxgHe
January 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
don't be surprised when your boot splash changes to a blue kubuntu one.

Yeah, how do you change it back? Or better still, how do you change it completely?

GarethMB
January 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Don't use apt-get. Use aptitude instead.

aysiu
January 14th, 2007, 06:40 PM
To get KDE on ubuntu, open a terminal and enter

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

(if this doesn't work then use 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop)

then logout. from the login window select the option for 'sessions' and you can now select either kde or gnome
Since the OP isn't using Edgy, I would strongly recommend against using apt-get in this situation.

Full instructions here (with screenshots):
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

MkfIbK7a
January 14th, 2007, 06:42 PM
yes i would agree with aysiu use
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

GarethMB
January 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Since the OP isn't using Edgy, I would strongly recommend against using apt-get in this situation.

Full instructions here (with screenshots):
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdeCan someone explain why edgy is different with regards to atp-get meta package handling?

aysiu
January 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Can someone explain why edgy is different with regards to atp-get meta package handling?
Edgy has a new option called autoremove that allows you to remove unused dependencies along with a package:
sudo apt-get autoremove packagename Dapper doesn't have this feature.

GarethMB
January 14th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Edgy has a new option called autoremove that allows you to remove unused dependencies along with a package:
sudo apt-get autoremove packagename Dapper doesn't have this feature.

Thanks, didn't know about that. I've been using aptitude anyway (good habit).

nandasunu
January 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM
To change your usplash back to the normal ubuntu one (and more), check out Start Up Manager - http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=295524 . It gives an easy graphical way to do it.

Peti29
January 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't recommand you to install kubuntu-desktop on your Ubuntu. I've tried that and ended up clearing my partition and installing Ubunto anew.
I wanted to try out KDE but I now think I should've done it by a separate install of Kubuntu. I didn't like all those gnome / KDE applications mixed together in my menus. 'aptitude --purge kubuntu-desktop' freezed and though I managed to make it continue after reboot, some of my icons as well as my splash screen remained KDE-like. My Beryl broke too.
So I chose to reinstall Ubuntu and I don't regret it for it's so much easier than it was the first time and I learn it better by repeating all those configuration steps.