PDA

View Full Version : where is the ubuntu project headed to?

kanpachi
January 14th, 2007, 10:46 AM
hey guys
i've been using dapper for quite a while now
and i'm very pleased
but i tried edgy, and it wasn't as smooth as dapper
i couldn't connect to both icq and msn accounts at once on gaim
mplayer was a bit sluggish
and zsnes was too, even when i installed the nvidia driver (i have a geforce 4 mx)
from what i've seen, a lot of people had or have a few issues with edgy
since then, i'm worried about the future of ubuntu
what will the next version be like?
will i be forced to leave my fav. distro since it fails on me? :(
so i tried installing Etch, it was a bit tricky
and the hebrew fonts were a mess
now i'm even more worried about what happens if i have to leave ubuntu
does anyone share those thoughts too?

mykalreborn
January 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
edgy is if you wish a feisty fawn beta version. it's something like a testing distribution. it has the newest packages and that's why it's not so smooth. the next version, feisty fawn, will be much better i asure you.
the future of ubuntu is paved with golden stars.:KS

mvaniersel
January 14th, 2007, 11:07 AM
For me, Edgy was a great improvement over Dapper. I finally managed to get Hardware acceleration working on my laptop (with ATI radeon M320), and beagle finally has all the plugins I need.

So I'm not worried. What you should do, is file bugs (http://launchpad.net) about the issues you're having with edgy. That way you can make sure your concerns are heard by the developers, and they will be remedied in some future version.

edit: To mykalreborn:

edgy is if you wish a feisty fawn beta version. it's something like a testing distribution.
that is not true, edgy is the most current stable version as of October 2006. There is nothing beta about edgy.

mykalreborn
January 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM
that is not true, edgy is the most current stable version as of October 2006. There is nothing beta about edgy.

my bad. i still had the impression edgy wasn't all that stable. :D

Malta paul
January 14th, 2007, 12:35 PM
For me Edgy has been just as stable as Dapper and also as fast, - on my system. :D

rai4shu2
January 14th, 2007, 01:38 PM
For me, the latest Feisty is the most stable, but your mileage will definitely vary. :)

bonzodog
January 14th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Edgy was designed to be released as a testing/unstable release of Ubuntu on the next devel curve.
Dapper is the end of the last devel curve.

Feisty is stage 2 of 4 in the devel curve, so basically, you get one uber stable LTS version every 2 years.

So some of edgy's stuff might not work on everyones machines, as a lot of cvs/svn/beta software was in use. On the other hand, some people will have noticed an overall improvement in the way their machines handle.

G Morgan
January 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Dapper is where it is at if you want a corporate system but Edgy is good enough for home use.

EdThaSlayer
January 14th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I have 1 gig of ram and Ubuntu Dapper seems to work fine until I do heavy multitasking(ripping from DVD in background while having 10 tabs open on flash sites in firefox 2 with totem open playing music while synaptic package manager is downloading/upgrading in the background). I do recommend 1 gig though, it makes everything seem smoother.

Johnsie
January 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Dapper had 6+ months of development (it was late because of bug fixing).... This only gave the developers just 4 months to have edgy ready. Ubuntu needs to stick to a 6 month release cycle because of the release cycles of various software in Ubuntu like gnome. I think edgy was rushed and that's partly why it's not as solid as dapper for many people. The other reason was that edgy included software which had not been fully tested like Firefox 2.

Feisty will have had at least a 6 month development phase when it's released so they have much more time to get it in order. I think, and hope that it will be a solid release like Dapper. I just hope they don't do anymore 4 month rushed editions of Ubuntu because it makes the OS look bad. Edgy works well for a lot of people but it seems to no work well for more people than Dapper did. That could just be down to the growth of Ubuntu though.

Zdravko
January 14th, 2007, 06:23 PM
the future of ubuntu is paved with golden stars.:KS

Now that is a nice poetry! :KS:KS:KS