PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else as sensitive as me about themes?

BarfBag
January 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM
My desktop has to be perfect. If it isn't, I don't feel comfortable in front of the PC. It takes me a while to get it 100% perfect, though. And when I do, I get tired of it two days later. It's like a weakness! Is anybody else like this? I can't stand it.

Incredibly random thought, I know. But it's either post this or watch the Ravens play bad. :(

ffi
January 14th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Eyecandy has become quite important to me, since switching to Linux. When I used XP the first thing I always did was to switch of themes and wallpaper though.

But I wish there were more pretty themes for KDE, like ubuntulooks or murrina ](*,)

mykalreborn
January 14th, 2007, 12:24 AM
i had that problem too. i once spent a whole week searching for things on how to make ubuntu better, and it still had a long way to go because of my stupid ati video card. i wanted to install beryl, but it just doesn't work.
but after a while i realised that it's not so important for everything to be perfect. and now i'm pleased with the overall system :D

FuturePilot
January 14th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I'm a theme nut too. I take a whole bunch of time to get a nice theme together. GTK+Beryl, then a few days later I want to change it again:p

BarfBag
Eyecandy has become quite important to me, since switching to Linux. When I used XP the first thing I always did was to switch of themes and wallpaper though.

haha Me too. And can you believe - I keep Beryl turned off? I find it annoying. Except when you're showing it off. ^_^

23meg
My desktop has to be perfect. If it isn't, I don't feel comfortable in front of the PC.For me, like many other things, it has to be "good enough" rather than "perfect".

It takes me a while to get it 100% perfect, though. And when I do, I get tired of it two days later.
The opposite for me; when I find something I like, I stick with it. I've been using variations of the GPerfection GTK theme for about two years.

fuscia
January 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
someone said i change my desktop more often than he changes his underwear, so yeah, very important to me. go, patriots!

mykalreborn
January 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
it's weird why the people who make the distros allways include only one cool theme - and that doesn't happen all the times like in Suse for example - and a few other "default" nasty themes. but no one ever includes some really nice beryl themes. or at least some metacity or even normal gtk, but something that looks good. i mean... all those themes are gpl-ed so why not make use of them?](*,)

IYY
January 14th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I am also very sensitive about themes, and to be honest, there are very few themes that I am ok with. They are:

1. The window decorations on the Windows 2000 Redmond theme (you can use it with any version of Windows as well as IceWM, XFCE and KDE. I couldn't find a good version for Gnome).

2. The Clearlooks theme.

Tiede
January 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I know your pain. If my computer is not fully customized to my liking, I feel... alienated. I NEED to have a nice GUI to work on. I go to great lengths to theme my ubuntubox, and I'd go nuts if I didn't pass hours (albeit maybe not successively) fixing every single pixel, every single action/behavior/shortcut to be absolutely perfect. --Explains my signature always having a screenshot of my current box ;)

Do i need to see a therapist :D

chavo
January 14th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I like to tweak my desktop too and will customize a theme to my liking. But I will stick with a nice theme for a while after I have hacked it to my liking.

ComplexNumber
January 14th, 2007, 02:06 AM

But I wish there were more pretty themes for KDE, like ubuntulooks or murrina ](*,)
i like my desktop to look nice, like it to be easy on the eye, and like to be comfortable about using it. i'm not interested in having lots of visual effects such as beryl or any of that nonsense. all thats important is a nice toolkit(ie gtk), lots of themes to choose from, and appropriately matching wallpaper so that the colours blend in harmony....rendering a comfortable desktop experience.

seijuro
January 14th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I'm probably just as bad except that I don't believe in a perfect desktop so I am always tweaking mine but not to the point of breaking. Also I have a collection of around 700 wallpapers arranged in groups that get rotated as the desktop wallpaper every 5 minutes.

NeoLithium
January 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Definitely not the only one; it takes me hours on end between gnome looks and even sometimes other window managers before I'm happy for a little while. Everything just has to be perfect; kinda like I have OCD for linux eye candy. *shrugs*

BarfBag
January 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM
*dang it* Raven's just got creamed.

I found an icon set and wallpaper I like. Problem is - they don't go together very well. But I love this wallpaper so much! ARGH!

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 05:35 AM
If there's one beef I have with Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc. is the lack of customizable features, and GDesklets is a far cry from a useful solution. In Gnome and KDE you can't even make the panels rounded for Pete's (or your deity of choice, mine is Pete) sake.

Pretty much if you want your desktop to look anything different from the defaults or, Pete forbid, OSX then you are SOL.

Please keep the learn to code, or you should recompile them yourself posts at a minimum por favor.

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM
If there's one beef I have with Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc. is the lack of customizable features, and GDesklets is a far cry from a useful solution. In Gnome and KDE you can't even make the panels rounded for Pete's (or your deity of choice, mine is Pete) sake.

Pretty much if you want your desktop to look anything different from the defaults or, Pete forbid, OSX then you are SOL.

Please keep the learn to code, or you should recompile them yourself posts at a minimum por favor.
rounded panels in KDE are easy to do with Beryl just select the ButtonLess Theme or many others have this same feature...

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Seems rather counterproductive to run beryl just to have something as simple as rounded panels as I have neither use nor need for all the other stuff that comes with it.

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Seems rather counterproductive to run beryl just to have something as simple as rounded panels as I have neither use nor need for all the other stuff that comes with it.

yeah, I guess everybody doesn't like utilizing desktop acceleration(Beryl)....

happy-and-lost
January 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Theming my machine is my favourite waste of time. That's what I love about Linux, it has a "Where do you want to go today?"(;)) feel about it. If I want red, ill get red. If I want b&w, I'll get it. If I want things to burst into flames when I close them, they will (*Even* on an ATi card)!

I love the freedom of theming.

GeneralZod
January 14th, 2007, 12:20 PM
As long as the functionality and behaviour are precisely to my liking, I don't particularly care about the looks (colours, widget styles, windecos etc), although I am a sucker for Beryl-eque eyecandy :)