PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Star Wars? do you like it?

Coop
January 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hello
Has anyone seen Star Wars (any episode)?Do you like it?
I've seen all of episode 1 and most of episode 3.
Please reply to me.
Regards Coop

BWF89
January 13th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I've seen all of them. The original trilogy (episodes 4, 5, and 6) are better than the new trilogy (episodes 1, 2, and 3).

How popular is Star Wars in Pakistan?

parker13
January 13th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Have I seen Star Wars? Are you taking the ****?

Star Wars was my life as a child. It defined my being. I knew nothing else. The way it fired your imagination was unprecedented.

I guess you guys are from a later generation... I cannot believe that there is anybody in the world who has not seen lived and breathed Star Wars. I guess that times move on. Just watch the original 3 and forget the new ones. It defines an era and I guess you missed it.

MedivhX
January 13th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I saw only these new 3 episodes... And i must say that i could watch them only once, watching it second time really boooored me.... So, I don't like it very much, I'm more into Star Trek...

Coop
January 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Hello
Star Wars is pretty popular in Pakistan.My cousins had a DVD of episode 3.
Regards Coop

parker13
January 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
The new episodes cannot be compared to the originals. The CGI just ruined everything.

The only decent thing about the new stuff is Natalie Portman! And for that, just rent Leon.

Do yourselves a favour and start at episode IV.

dorcssa
January 14th, 2007, 12:02 AM
The first trilogy was better, but episode 3 is closing on a little...

fuscia
January 14th, 2007, 12:03 AM
The only decent thing about the new stuff is Natalie Portman! And for that, just rent Leon.

poor girl peaked early.

ffi
January 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
The Empire Strikes Back was the first movie I have ever been to, I was only 5 years old and didn't speak english nor could I read the subtitles but absolutely loved the movie and still do and I have been a fan ever since. :D

BarfBag
January 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Who hasn't seen a Star Wars movie? I've seen all of them except three. The original trilogy kicks a$s! The new ones flat out suck, though. That's why I haven't seen the third yet.

Kernel Sanders
January 14th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Seen them all. I have also seen the recently remastered version of "Return of the Jedi". I wish I hadnt, George Lucas has bastardised that to hell and back. It also makes no sense, take the end, where you see the ghosts/force/whatever of Yoda, Anakin and Obi-wan. Well he's replaced the old bald guy that played Darth Vader with Haden Christiensen, (the guy that played Anakin from Episode 2 and 3). Its particularly stupid, considering that he left Alec Guinness as Obi-wan in the same shot. So when a Jedi dies, his ghost/force/whatever can be young or old depending on a set or randomly unknown criteria? :rolleyes:

parker13
January 14th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Seen them all. I have also seen the recently remastered version of "Return of the Jedi". I wish I hadnt, George Lucas has bastardised that to hell and back. It also makes no sense, take the end, where you see the ghosts/force/whatever of Yoda, Anakin and Obi-wan. Well he's replaced the old bald guy that played Darth Vader with Haden Christiensen, (the guy that played Anakin from Episode 2 and 3). Its particularly stupid, considering that he left Alec Guinness as Obi-wan in the same shot. So when a Jedi dies, his ghost/force/whatever can be young or old depending on a set or randomly unknown criteria? :rolleyes:

Why do they insist on ******* around with the originals? Do they think that they can possibly make them better? Some CGI monstrosity turning Jabba into a childish cartoon... What has happened to George Lucas? Surely he has enough money by now.

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Episodes 4-6 are 3 of the greatest movies ever made. Episodes 1-3 are 3 of the worst movies ever made (running only a close second to the Lord of the Rings trilogy - do yourself a favor and read the books instead).

slimdog360
January 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I saw the 3rd one last night and it was pretty crap. I fell asleep half way through.

parker13
January 14th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I can think of a lot worse movies that the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sure, they're not a patch on the books, but how could they be?

As we're on the subject, I'm related to J. R. R. Tolkien himself - he was my step father's step father's step father! Ok, so it's not by blood...

Shay Stephens
January 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I remember standing in line to see episode 4 when it first came out. The line was huge and went around the theater and up the block. I don't remember if I knew what I was going to see. But once I saw it, like others have mentioned, my whole view changed. It really was life changing. I hadn't seen anything like that. I was instantly changed to thinking about space travel and bigger things than just the typical stuff of kicking around dirt clods and the like.

I saw every episode after that with crazy anticipation. And then it was over. It wasn't until I went to a Star Trek convention that I heard that they were going to make another trilogy that spanned episodes 1-3. I was ecstatic! I couldn't believe it. Then I found out the timeline, and it wasn't going to come out until 1999. At the time it was 1993 or 94 I think, and I thought 1999 would never get there. I almost wish I hadn't known their plans, that long of a wait is tortuous to say the least hehehe.

I enjoyed the prequels, some of those lightsaber duels were spectacular. I was mighty disappointed when Qui Gon got killed. He is one of my favorite characters. And I really liked seeing how it was in the golden age of the jedi. If someone has never seen all the episodes, for sure spend the time to see them. And don't leave out the original trilogy, it was historic for an entire generation and then some.

Shay Stephens
January 14th, 2007, 01:11 AM
I can think of a lot worse movies that the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Sure, they're not a patch on the books, but how could they be?

As we're on the subject, I'm related to J. R. R. Tolkien himself - he was my step father's step father's step father! Ok, so it's not by blood...

I love the movies they made. I have the audio books (unabridged) and relisten to them from time to time. Probably the best fiction I have ever experienced. An amazing story. Even counting the changes to the story the movies made, they are amazing to watch and experience.

I am hoping the wind up making the hobbit movie. Though I don't know what will happen if Peter Jackson is not the director. I would love to have the continuity of him doing the hobbit.

parker13
January 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I love the movies they made. I have the audio books (unabridged) and relisten to them from time to time. Probably the best fiction I have ever experienced. An amazing story. Even counting the changes to the story the movies made, they are amazing to watch and experience.

I am hoping the wind up making the hobbit movie. Though I don't know what will happen if Peter Jackson is not the director. I would love to have the continuity of him doing the hobbit.

I agree, but I can't see a movie of "The Hobbit" being on the same scale as The Lord of the Rings.

euler_fan
January 14th, 2007, 01:23 AM
While it certainly wasn't the only thing I grew up on (my parents also being Star Trek fans I grew up on reruns of the original series and STNG too), I started with the original three and still think they're the best. They inspired me to be an avid reader of the subsequent small library of novels. (I think I had 50 at my peak, and there must be over 100 by now but I stopped reading them years ago.) There are actually a number of those novels I would still read today, and I think my parents still own the VHS tapes they got when I was a child :)

meng
January 14th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I'm looking forward to Ubuntu JE (that's Ubuntu Jedi Edition). BTW Han shot first.

BWF89
January 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I have also seen the recently remastered version of "Return of the Jedi".
It bugs me like hell when they go and decide to remaster movies and albums. When I watch a movie or listen to an album I want to see/hear it in it's originality. Would you decide to retouch the Mona Lisa and dub it as "new and improved"?

seijuro
January 14th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Have I seen Star Wars? Are you taking the ****?

Star Wars was my life as a child. It defined my being. I knew nothing else. The way it fired your imagination was unprecedented.

I guess you guys are from a later generation... I cannot believe that there is anybody in the world who has not seen lived and breathed Star Wars. I guess that times move on. Just watch the original 3 and forget the new ones. It defines an era and I guess you missed it.

Same here from the other side of the pond.

I also prefer 4, 5, & 6 over 1, 2, & 3

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Not to hijack an otherwise healthy thread, nor to start a flamewar, but I can honestly say I agree with one choice they made in the making of the LOTR movies: the fact that they chose to set it in New Zealand. Apart from that, I disagreed with everything else that went into the movie being made, and I blame it mostly on Peter Jackson as was ultimately in control of the crew that went into the making of the movies.

The script was nearly as bad as the Terminator. All of the costumes looked like they had been bought at a renaissance fair or third-rate costume shop. Either way a far cry from all the work they allegedly put into them. Some of the casting choices were terrible (e.g. Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Liv Tyler, and Orlando Bloom). The acting was far sub-par, but I blame this on the direction as many of the same actors were fantastic in other movies (e.g. Viggo Mortensen, Ians Holm and McKellen, Cate Blanchett, even Liv starred in one decent movie {see Stealing Beauty}, and Hugo Weaving was great in the Matrix).

My biggest problem with the movie was that everything just looked too new, from Minas Tirith to props like the maps (which looked like they had just come fresh off the laser printer in P.J.'s office). These places and things are supposed to have thousands of years of history.

Anyway, enough rant, that's how I feel. If you feel otherwise, then maybe we just have fundamental differences in what we consider a well-made film.

NeoLithium
January 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Heheheh,
Absolutely love StarWars, ever since I saw them as a kid; was completely addicted. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've broken at least a dozen lightsabers. Oh well; I have all 6 movies, tons of books, plus I still spend hours on end roleplaying on StarWarsMUSH...and yes. Han did shoot first.

Tux Aubrey
January 14th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Get your flame-throwers out cause I think ALL the Star Wars films are lame. Like everyone else, I went along with the hype about the original trilogy, but underneath I was SOOOO disappointed. I was a big sci-fi fan at the time and I thought (and still do) that SW was a pastiche of ideas from a bunch of good books with a sort of cowboys and indians overlay. If only Dune had been made first (and well)!

I really think that films like the Matrix trilogy and Dark City, have much more sci-fi "meat" on their bones. And I don't even think that Star Wars 4 was "good for its time". There were plenty of good sci-fi movies in the seventies, they just didn't have the hype and the dumbed-down story-lines.

So there.

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Get your flame-throwers out cause I think ALL the Star Wars films are lame. Like everyone else, I went along with the hype about the original trilogy, but underneath I was SOOOO disappointed. I was a big sci-fi fan at the time and I thought (and still do) that SW was a pastiche of ideas from a bunch of good books with a sort of cowboys and indians overlay. If only Dune had been made first (and well)!

That was one of the main reasons Star Wars was successful: it drew on archetypal characters in a good vs. evil epic. There was nothing tremendously special nor groundbreakingly original about any specific character in the movie.

David Lynch's version of Dune was about as close to the books as anyone could have hoped barring the whole part about the weirding modules etc. which was just contrived and stupid. It was definitely much better than any of the drivel put out in the 90s and 00s bearing the same name.

Shay Stephens
January 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM
I was a big sci-fi fan at the time and I thought (and still do) that SW was a pastiche of ideas from a bunch of good books with a sort of cowboys and indians overlay. If only Dune had been made first (and well)!

There are a number of interesting similarity's between Star Wars and the Foundation series.

randomnumber
January 14th, 2007, 08:11 AM
I truly liked the first 3 (4-6) but not loved them. I thought Vader was this bad *** character but when I saw episode 3 I thought I want to slap him across the back of the head. Kinda wish I never saw 1-3 because the ruin the 4-6 episodes.

Anyone else feel pity for the contractors building the second death star?

Ha, this is going to become a clerks movie thread.

Shay Stephens
January 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Anyone else feel pity for the contractors building the second death star?

Wouldn't that be like feeling pity for the contractors building DRM? hehehe

mips
January 14th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I don't like star wars, never did. Watched all of them but never liked them. As BWF89 mentioned 4,5,6 are better than the new ones though.

Loved the Space Balls (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceballs) rippoff of the movie though.

OrangeCrate
January 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Upon recommendation of friends, my wife and I went to see the original Star Wars movie in 1977, I think. The opening scene with the little ship being chased by the cruiser, modified my DNA on the spot. We went back four nights in a row to see the movie again, and have rewatched the original three episodes over the years so many times I've lost count. Though good, the later episodes didn't catch our fancy as those orignial three did. They were, and are even today, pure magic.

randomnumber
January 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I also like the fun film "Troops". I recommend it to any star wars fan that has a sense of humor.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5351101160052590481&q=troops&hl=en

Ireclan
January 15th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have seen all six Star Wars movies, and in my opinion, the first three were awesome, as was episode one (baring JarJar). Then I saw Episode II, and was mightily disappointed. The only good thing in Episode II were the shots of the clone troopers (the shot at the end were they have Palpatine on a balcony, gazing down like a king at literally THOUSANDS of white-clad clone troopers below him all in perfect military harmony sent shivers down my spine, especially when the musical score begins to take on a decidedly Imperial March-esque theme). Then I saw episode III, and wanted to just slap the LIVING HELL out of Lucas. By then, he'd even managed to turn Palpatine (one of the few characters that had been arguably enhanced by the prequels thus far) into an idiot. The ONLY emotion besides sheer disgust I have for that movie is a wee bit of sadness evoked by the scenes where it shows all the Jedi being murdered. In all honesty, I greatly preferred the book version of the movie. That KICKED ***.