PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & Beer

teejay17
January 13th, 2007, 10:49 PM
There are very few things that I am as passionate about as Ubuntu and Beer. Both are very different: different subjects, different plains of existence, heck totally different realms. And yet, they are sometimes connected, like now as an example, how I'm enjoying a cold one and goofing around using Ubuntu. I o this quite often.
So, I'm starting a thread called Ubuntu & Beer. I'll leave it at that; participate as you wish.
Cheers,
Clink. Clink.

bigken
January 13th, 2007, 10:51 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BEEEEEEEEEEER

teejay17
January 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm BEEEEEEEEEEER
Uh huh. A buddy is coming over tonight and we are "Beer Connoisseur-ing." It's a Saturday thing. But this isn't just your run of the mill ordinary beer drinking. Oh no, this has developed into all out Trappiste beer drinking, which is beer that's hand made by European monks and costs like 14 bones a bottle. And tonnes more. I look forward to these occasions all week.
Last week, I had a beer that was 18% alcohol, but because it was so aged to perfection, it tasted like it had no alcohol at all. It was so awesome.
I'm a beer geek.

ciaran.mooney
January 13th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Have you *rolled your own" beer yet using the http://www.freebeer.org/blog/

Open Source Beer! Hmmmmmm Super Tasty. If you make some, send it my way.....

bigken
January 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM
18% christ how many gallons did u drink :D

parker13
January 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM
My favourite at the moment is Hobgoblin from the Wychwood brewery.

http://www.wychwood.co.uk/

Dark and strong. I like my beer just the opposite to my women!

x64Jimbo
January 13th, 2007, 11:48 PM
New Belgium Brewery (maker of Fat Tire) is headquartered here in my hometown of Ft. Collins, CO. They also make a very snobby beer called "La Folie" that is aged in wine casks. Its alcohol percentage comes out to a mere 6%, but check out its rating on BeerAdvocate:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1917
It's roughly $18/bottle here in Ft. Collins and I imagine it only gets more expensive when distribution costs are figured in.

dorcssa
January 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Maybe this is the right thread for my question...When you say not free as beer, but free as in speech, what do you mean? The english idioms are always getting me, they have a very different way of thinking (I mean for the very same dictum or saying, we have totally different words)

edit: to be ontopic, I don't drink alcohol, never. Not because of principals, I just don't like the taste of it. Maybe I should try some alcohol-free something..but beer is bitter, wine is sour. :p

oyvindaa
January 13th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I'm enjoying a Heineken right now myself. It has to be ice cold of course.

fuscia
January 14th, 2007, 12:00 AM
There are very few things that I am as passionate about as Ubuntu and Beer. Both are very different: different subjects, different plains of existence, heck totally different realms. And yet, they are sometimes connected, like now as an example, how I'm enjoying a cold one and goofing around using Ubuntu. I o this quite often.
So, I'm starting a thread called Ubuntu & Beer. I'll leave it at that; participate as you wish.
Cheers,
Clink. Clink.

right there with you, brother.

x64Jimbo
January 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Maybe this is the right thread for my question...When you say not free as beer, but free as in speech, what do you mean? The english idioms are always getting me, they have a very different way of thinking (I mean for the very same dictum or saying, we have totally different words)

edit: to be ontopic, I don't drink alcohol, never. Not because of principals, I just don't like the taste of it. Maybe I should try some alcohol-free something..but beer is bitter, wine is sour. :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_beer

parker13
January 14th, 2007, 12:05 AM

OK, I was gonna try to explain this, but wikipedia can do it for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre#Libre

"Free as in beer refers to things which are available at no monetary cost (like free beer at a party). While one is permitted to use the object (e.g., drink the beer) without payment, one does not necessarily receive any rights (e.g. take the beer home) or ownership. It can be contrasted with the expressions free as in speech, free as in freedom, or free as in rights, which refer to something which is free of restrictions, as in the freedom of speech. One is permitted to use the object, reproduce it, repurpose it, and generally do what one will with it; usually the only restrictions applied are that credit be given to any entity that contributed to any resulting object and that such object be free as in speech as well. An example of a license with such grants and conditions is the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license."

It's the difference between free-money and free-dom.

executor
January 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
seidel beer and ubuntu her :)

euler_fan
January 14th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Right now my favorite beer is the Summit Winter Ale (yes, I live in MN). Although it is hard to beat (I think) fresh Guinness out of the tap. Not the pasteurized junk they serve here in the states but like I had it in Scotland.

agurk
January 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Draft Staropramen Dark, doesn't beat Guinness stout imo, but still a very decent lager worth mentioning.

doobit
January 14th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Yuegling black and tan isn't bad.

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 02:19 AM

Nono, he said it was 18% alcohol. Keep in mind that some punctuation would have easily remedied this little misunderstanding.

Edit: Keeping with the topic, I'm enjoying Negro Modelo and a bit of Smithwicks.

dbbolton
January 14th, 2007, 02:32 AM
i like my beer like i like my chocolate...

dark, german, and at room temperature.

kevinf311
January 14th, 2007, 02:33 AM
Yuegling black and tan isn't bad.

I love Yuengling! I wish that they sold it in Georgia :mad: I get some whenever I'm back in MD. I had the Black and Tan for the first time last month, it was pretty good, but I don't think it beats a Harp and a Guinness.

I've got a Miller Genuine Draft with me right now, though that is not my beer of choice. I go for the darker, heavier beers.

Cheers to all of those Ubuntu and Beer enthusiasts out there!

darweth
January 14th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I really need to try a Köstritzer Schwarzbier.

randomnumber
January 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I like:

Smithwicks - reliably good, as long as it is not gone bad.
Guinness - only from the tap and it has to be pored be a professional
NewCastle Brown Ale - nice and sweet
Blue Moon - Good with a slice of orange. Do not put orange in bottle.
Killians - Irish Red
many more but not Budweiser

Lots of people are in the Irish Car Bombs but not me. Someone at the pub I go to has had approx 1400 in the past 2 years and, yes, his name is on the wall.

I highly suggest bearfests and tasting events. I really enjoyed both that I have attended.
Alot of small samples, well worth the price of a ticket
http://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com/beerfest.htm

I also tried brewing my own 5 gallons. It did not turn out to good but I plan to try another in the future. I think the law stats I can brew 200 gallons a year.

I also like scotch but my wallet does not.

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I like:

Smithwicks - reliably good, as long as it is not gone bad.
Guinness - only from the tap and it has to be pored be a professional
NewCastle Brown Ale - nice and sweet
Blue Moon - Good with a slice of orange. Do not put orange in bottle.
Killians - Irish Red
many more but not Budweiser

Lots of people are in the Irish Car Bombs but not me. Someone at the pub I go to has had approx 1400 in the past 2 years and, yes, his name is on the wall.

I highly suggest bearfests and tasting events. I really enjoyed both that I have attended.
Alot of small samples, well worth the price of a ticket
http://emeraldcoastbeerfest.com/beerfest.htm

I also tried brewing my own 5 gallons. It did not turn out to good but I plan to try another in the future. I think the law stats I can brew 200 gallons a year.

I also like scotch but my wallet does not.

I really enjoy Smithwicks and Newcastle only just recently having found the former.

Blue Moon is a tried-and-true staple of my diet. It's a nice every day beer. I vascillate between that and Negro Modelo (no bashing por favor).

Hendrixski
January 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
LOL

I always like how the explanation of "free software is" it's free as in free speech, not as in free beer" even though many free softwares, like Ubuntu, are also free as in free beer. But not many things truly beat free beer.

blackened
January 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
LOL

I always like how the explanation of "free software is" it's free as in free speech, not as in free beer" even though many free softwares, like Ubuntu, are also free as in free beer. But not many things truly beat free beer.

I can think of one, but this is the cafe, not the backyard. ;)

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Have you *rolled your own" beer yet using the http://www.freebeer.org/blog/

Open Source Beer! Hmmmmmm Super Tasty. If you make some, send it my way.....
No, I wasn't aware of this. I'm definitely checking it out now, thanks!

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM
About 1; the stuff came in a wine bottle, about 1 litre in size, that my buddy and I split, and drank entirely, before moving onto other things. :p

christhemonkey
January 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Im more of a whisky man myself.

Bells or Grants are my usuals.

And i drink it neat on the rocks :D

(some people say im too young and irresponsible to enjoy whisky, ended up drinking myself paralitic a couple of times....:oops: but i still disagree:D )

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
One of my all time favourite beers is an oatmeal stout, made by St. Ambroise.
http://www.mcauslan.com/en/products/stastout.html
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/st-ambroise-oatmeal-stout/839/

dorcssa
January 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_beer

OK, I was gonna try to explain this, but wikipedia can do it for me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre#Libre

"Free as in beer refers to things which are available at no monetary cost (like free beer at a party). While one is permitted to use the object (e.g., drink the beer) without payment, one does not necessarily receive any rights (e.g. take the beer home) or ownership. It can be contrasted with the expressions free as in speech, free as in freedom, or free as in rights, which refer to something which is free of restrictions, as in the freedom of speech. One is permitted to use the object, reproduce it, repurpose it, and generally do what one will with it; usually the only restrictions applied are that credit be given to any entity that contributed to any resulting object and that such object be free as in speech as well. An example of a license with such grants and conditions is the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license."

It's the difference between free-money and free-dom.
Thanks for both of you. :) I was thinkging of this explanation, but was not sure. :)

Johnsie
January 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM
I like Harp, Guinness, Carling and Becks.... Smithwicks is ok but I'm more of a lager lout. Double Rebull and vodka is nice too lol :-)

zerhacke
January 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Before I became an alcoholic, I loved Genesee 12 Horse Ale. That and Killians Irish Red on tap were my weakness.

I don't drink anymore, but I do enjoy a Non Alcoholic St Pauli Girl every now and then.

floke
January 14th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu and beer, my two favorite hobbies!

Dislikes: Less than 5%

dorcssa
January 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Before I became an alcoholic, I loved Genesee 12 Horse Ale. That and Killians Irish Red on tap were my weakness.

I don't drink anymore, but I do enjoy a Non Alcoholic St Pauli Girl every now and then.

Well, the way you wrote it, it sounded like that you are alcholic. :D You meant anti-alcoholic, right? (At least that phrase makes more sense in the aspect of my language. :) ) What do you think, before someone became one, should she at least drink some alcohol to know what she lose, or it is not necessary? (Of course I'm talking about myself, and of course I won't drink, I'm just curious. :D)

zerhacke
January 14th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Well, the way you wrote it, it sounded like that you are alcholic.

Yes, I am an alcoholic. Once an alcoholic always an alcoholic. It's not cureable, it is with you for life. That's why I no longer drink alcoholic beverages, I only drink aon-alcoholic beers. See, the way I see it even though there is a tiny little bit of alcohol in non-alcoholic beers there's not enough to do anything to you, so it doesn't count really. I don't drink non-alcoholic beers for the alcohol content, I drink them because I like the taste. And even then, I only rarely have one.

teejay17
January 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I like Guiness on tap too; I guess I like the dark beers. Caffery's is also excellent.
I had a great brew last night with my buddy called Mill Street Coffee Porter. (http://millstreetbrewery.com/beers_coffeeporter.htm)
Man oh man that stuff was fantastic. When I tried it, I didn't want to have anything else after, but there was only one bottle, so that was a downer.

freebeer
January 15th, 2007, 03:38 AM
LOL

But not many things truly beat free beer.

Thank you. I concur. For obvious reasons. :wink:

I knew I should have copyrighted my nick long ago. Ahh well, it's certainly used in a good cause. :D

BTW, the nick comes from my hobby: home brewing.

teejay17
January 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
But not many things truly beat free beer.
Yes, free beer is great. I definitely agree.
Install fests should have mandatory free beer as well.

oyvindaa
January 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
http://erose999.myweb.uga.edu/pbr.jpg

teejay17
January 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
http://erose999.myweb.uga.edu/pbr.jpg
You know what, I find myself drinking this stuff more often than I should, and surprisingly I've acquired a taste for it. It does the trick, in a pinch, and sadly it is cheaper than most of our Canadian brands.
However, I'd like to know what the alcohol percentage is in the States (not saying oyvindaa (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=83793) is American, but I know there's lots of Americans on here, so it's a generalized question)? Up here, that stuff is 5%. Is it the same there? I've had American Busch before, (something we also have up here for way cheap) and the difference in alchohol levels was neat.

freebeer
January 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM
Up here, that stuff is 5%. Is it the same there? I've had American Busch before, (something we also have up here for way cheap) and the difference in alchohol levels was neat.

At the risk of thread drift... alcohol content can be deceiving. In the US, they are not required (generally) to print the alcohol % on the cans. They also have different rules and regulations (each state gets to set their own, and it's a distribution nightmare - or can be). For instance, some states, or even counties or towns can be "dry". Some might have restrictions such that beer sold on Sundays be of the 3.2% variety. Yep... that Bud may normally be 4% but it's gotta be 3.2% on Sunday. How this is even enforced, I have no idea.

Now on to standards... most of the world, Canada included, measure their alcohol as a %ABV (Alcohol By Volume). In the US, the standard is %ABW (Alcohol By Weight). The average Canadian mass-market beer is 5%ABV. The average mass-market US beer is 4%ABW. 5%ABV is the equivelent to 4%ABW I'm told. (Alcohol, being lighter than water, weighs proportionally less.) So, it's the same. It sure doesn't feel like it is, agreed, but I suspect that our tastebuds are fooled (American mega-swill being lighter in taste than Canadian mega-swill).

The emergence of craft beers into the market has, of course, had an affect on the average % content.

/end drift

teejay17
January 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM
At the risk of thread drift... alcohol content can be deceiving. In the US, they are not required (generally) to print the alcohol % on the cans. They also have different rules and regulations (each state gets to set their own, and it's a distribution nightmare - or can be). For instance, some states, or even counties or towns can be "dry". Some might have restrictions such that beer sold on Sundays be of the 3.2% variety. Yep... that Bud may normally be 4% but it's gotta be 3.2% on Sunday. How this is even enforced, I have no idea.

Now on to standards... most of the world, Canada included, measure their alcohol as a %ABV (Alcohol By Volume). In the US, the standard is %ABW (Alcohol By Weight). The average Canadian mass-market beer is 5%ABV. The average mass-market US beer is 4%ABW. 5%ABV is the equivelent to 4%ABW I'm told. (Alcohol, being lighter than water, weighs proportionally less.) So, it's the same. It sure doesn't feel like it is, agreed, but I suspect that our tastebuds are fooled (American mega-swill being lighter in taste than Canadian mega-swill).

The emergence of craft beers into the market has, of course, had an affect on the average % content.

/end drift
Very informative. I've learned something new in your post, particularly on the differences between ABW and ABV. Thinking back to that Busch I had from Michigan, perhaps it was a Sunday brew:-k
Anyway, on to your comment
The emergence of craft beers into the market has, of course, had an affect on the average % content.When it comes to American craft beer, I could care less about the alcohol content; American craft beers are some of the best beers I've ever had. A couple that come to mind are Dogfish head World Wide Stout (awesome beyond description!) and Hair of the Dog Adam (so wicked).
Anyway, because this is also an Ubuntu thread, I'm also going to say "Ubuntu" now, before posting8).

RChickenMan
January 16th, 2007, 03:35 AM
This is a good thread for those nights when you come home and have the spins to the point you can't get to sleep. You look around the room for something to keep you occupied, find your computer, and then think, "Now what?" Then you think, "Forums? Sure, why not?" Then you realize that discussions about Linux really aren't what you're looking for. About time we had a thread specifically for drunk people who visit the forums.

teejay17
January 16th, 2007, 04:07 AM
This is a good thread for those nights when you come home and have the spins to the point you can't get to sleep. You look around the room for something to keep you occupied, find your computer, and then think, "Now what?" Then you think, "Forums? Sure, why not?" Then you realize that discussions about Linux really aren't what you're looking for. About time we had a thread specifically for drunk people who visit the forums.
To add to the drunken festivites alone:
http://www.filecabi.net/video/spiders-drugs.html
In Canada everyone my age grew up watching "Hinterland, Who's Who" on public television, (TVOntario) usually between Seseme Street and Today's Special. Anyway, here's one that never made it on air.

RChickenMan
January 16th, 2007, 04:23 AM
Haha, that was one of the best "spoof" videos I have ever seen, because I definately thought it was real at least half way into it.

teejay17
January 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Haha, that was one of the best "spoof" videos I have ever seen, because I definately thought it was real at least half way into it.
I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was fun too!