PDA

View Full Version : forum idea

Choad
January 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
there is no way to mark a thread as "solved"

so many threads get burried in a matter of hours, due to the popularity of ubuntu...

i had a good idea tho. each help section should have a solved and unsolved counterpart to the forums. the owner of the thread and the mods are allowed to move any particular thread from the unsolved section to the solved section, and visa versa if they have more problems.

that way, solved threads wont be pushing unsolved threads on to page 2, 3, 4 etc.

only the "unsolved" forums would be visible from the main page to avoid clutter. in fact each solved forum could simply be a child of the unsolved forum, to keep things neatly hierarchy-ified

just an idea... i think it would mean poeple would get more questions answered

what do you guys think?

PriceChild
January 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
If you are the original poster in a thread, edit your first thread.

Click advanced edit.

Chose the "check this box if my thread is resolved" box and press submit (NOT preview)

All is done and it will have a [RESOLVED] tag on subforum view :)

Interestedinthepenguin
January 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
...Oh thanks for the tip, PriceChild.

Choad
January 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM
well i expected it to be under thread tools (its where it is on other forums i go to)

its no wonder no one uses it lol.... its hardly convenient there :)

also, my idea was more thn just marking them resolved, it was moving them to another forum section - what do you think about that?

PriceChild
January 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
well i expected it to be under thread tools (its where it is on other forums i go to)

its no wonder no one uses it lol.... its hardly convenient there :)yeah... its just there so it can be used until we find a better way to integrate it into the skin.

also, my idea was more thn just marking them resolved, it was moving them to another forum section - what do you think about that?No thanks... that's a lot of work when people won't look there first either.

Choad
January 13th, 2007, 07:10 PM
yeah... its just there so it can be used until we find a better way to integrate it into the skin.

No thanks... that's a lot of work when people won't look there first either.
no disrespect, but who physically searches the forums? no one. they use the search box. and the search box can be told to look through anything.

the only difficult to implement bit would be giving people the ability to move their threads to the appropriate "solved" section.... it would involve some hacking, but i am positive its not beyond the abilities of the ubuntu community :)