PDA

View Full Version : Windows to Ubuntu translation guide

SonicSteve
January 13th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Greetings,
If this thread should be moved to a new forum area feel free to do so.

I've been using ubuntu for some time now and I have no intentions of getting rid it. I quite like it and in general I'm very happy with it. Part of what I do for a living is fixing and building computers.
I'm at a point where I'm starting to offer Ubuntu as an alternative to people over windows. There is one catch though, most people are used to windows with varying degrees of know how. That being the case when I offer Ubuntu I would feel much better If I could present these people with a Windows to Ubuntu translation guide.

I see this being different from a wiki or customization guide in that unless your know how of computers, windows, and computer terminology is quite advanced you won't have a clue of what you're looking for. Hence a translation guide.

For instance,
for people who use dial up internet and are used to setting up a dialup internet connection, the translation would be;
Administration>network settings> modem connection> etc. etc. etc.

The same kind of thing for DSL connections, and this list would be quite extensive.

I know this would be a great deal of work, and if one exists like this please point me to it and I'll have a gander at it.

Circus-Killer
January 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM
i suppose one solution could be to stock the Official Ubuntu Book (http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0132435942). but remember to always give them the choice, purchase a legal copy of windows or to have a free copy of ubuntu. and then keep a few books in stock to sell.

dont get a lot at first, get 10 at first. see how they sell, and follow up on the customers to check that they are satisfied. try to make things as gentle as possible, and try minimize that common, yet unnecessary overwhelming feeling.

hope it goes okay.

(P.S. Don't forget there are tons of books specifically geared towards ubuntu, i just happened to recommend the official. but just search through amazon for ubuntu and you will see the huge choice of books available.)

SonicSteve
January 13th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have the official Ubuntu guide, and while it is quite good I don't think that it hits the mark of being an adequete translation guide. It did help me, but what I'm looking for is less like a book and more like a dictionary.

I think that this would be a great marketing tool. While it wouldn't get people familiar with the real guts of Linux/Ubuntu most people don't know the real guts of windows either.

Maybe a team could be assembled, I think something needs to be offered for free or near free. I know I would feel much more comfortable offering Ubuntu if I had a tool like this.

SonicSteve
January 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM
While I do have a family, and many envolvements I could offer my expertise of windows to a team. I'm still quite new to Linux/Ubuntu (or any distribution for that matter). I feel I know enough about Ubuntu to get by currently, though not much more.

mattheweast
January 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
The documentation team develops a "Switching from Windows" guide which you might like to look at. It should be in good shape for Feisty and I'd be keen to hear ideas about what it could be used for. You might even like to contribute... If so, give the documentation team a buzz: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Contact, or me personally.