Emerald Themer 0.1.4: ButtonLess version 0.1

KDE Theme: Gnome default

FireFox 2.0 Theme: 708090 lite

Sense
January 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Looks nice! Did you make that?

BarfBag
January 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Beautiful! Does it run any faster all stripped down?

Erunno
January 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Is that Sabayon Linux ? It reminds me of some screenshots I've seen some time ago. Anyway, looks good :)

(edit: spelling)

mips
January 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Is that Sabaylon Linux ? It reminds me of some screenshots I've seen some time ago. Anyway, looks good :)

Yes, it's Sabayon.

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Beautiful! Does it run any faster all stripped down?

Yes that is the beauty of a minimalistic KDE/Beryl.....is you get all the benefits of a pimped out desktop.....but minimalistic and professional....

...meant to inspire discourse on the benefits of a minimalistic desktop with applications that are not known as minimalistic.

tbroderick
January 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM
...meant to inspire discourse on the benefits of a minimalistic desktop with applications that are not known as minimalistic.

I wouldn't call put a different theme on Firefox making it minimalistic. It's still as resource heavy as before.

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't call put a different theme on Firefox making it minimalistic. It's still as resource heavy as before.
primarally speaking of minimalistic from a visual or artistic stand point NOT a resource stand point....other wise I wouldn't be using KDE and Beryl...

Lately at least from a visual perspective on my desktop and browsers I have been very minimalistic...

meaning mostly,....Zero icons, No title bar, one Toolbar on Firefox....and minimalistic themes both in Beryl and Firefox..

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Update have changed the Emerald theme to "Frame v0.1"

see the screenshots below:

BoyOfDestiny
January 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Update have changed the Emerald theme to "Frame v0.1"

see the screenshots below:

Looks totally awesome.

Just kind of curious, do you miss having the minimize/maximize/close buttons...

I use beryl (sort of on and off since I play some stuff that uses opengl and will flicker, so I go back to metacity)

One thing I'd do if I went full time with beryl, is get rid of the gnome tasks list at the bottom, the showing of all windows with beryl is fantastic (the gnome list even on wide screen gets ridiculous when I have a dozen apps and some terminals open)
Also, I know beryl/emerald let's you (well other managers too of course) have things like "roll" up and the like...

Anyway my real question is: can you give any tips and hints on how you make the most of a button-less setup? Mouse gestures? Hotkeys? :)

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Looks totally awesome.

Just kind of curious, do you miss having the minimize/maximize/close buttons...

I use beryl (sort of on and off since I play some stuff that uses opengl and will flicker, so I go back to metacity)

One thing I'd do if I went full time with beryl, is get rid of the gnome tasks list at the bottom, the showing of all windows with beryl is fantastic (the gnome list even on wide screen gets ridiculous when I have a dozen apps and some terminals open)

Also, I know beryl let's you (well other managers too of course) have things like "roll" up and the like...

Anyway my real question is: can you give any tips and hints on how you make the most of a button-less setup? Mouse gestures? Hotkeys? :)

yes...the current buttonless setup is the best I have seen because the buttons are there upon mouse over....

see the screenshot below for a sample:

BoyOfDestiny
January 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
yes...the current buttonless setup is the best I have seen because the buttons are there upon mouse over....

I think I'll have to try it to see what you mean. Unless it's just we're so used to knowing where the buttons are... I dunno, there are times where I want to say "wow, this is a much better way of doing things than before"

With things like beryl, and all these smart guys and girls writing gui related stuff...
Less clicks or keystrokes to do the same tasks.
More screen real estate.
Looks really really cool.
More usability.

Too much clutter, that's what I consider bloat. :)

EDIT: Oh I just saw the screenshot... The only downside is it may scare new users :) More power to you if you never miss the location.
I think I might accidently hit closed instead of max if I'm working quickly.

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I think I'll have to try it to see what you mean. Unless it's just we're so used to knowing where the buttons are... I dunno, there are times where I want to say "wow, this is a much better way of doing things than before"

With things like beryl, and all these smart guys and girls writing gui related stuff...
Less clicks or keystrokes to do the same tasks.
More screen real estate.
Looks really really cool.

That's what I'm hoping for. Too much clutter, that's what I consider bloat. :)just scroll over where the buttons usually are and upon mouseover the button and label will appear.

I also like that with this theme there is NO title....simply Awesome!

RAV TUX
January 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Looks nice! Did you make that?If you mean the 3D wallpaper?....no I didn't make it, found it here:

http://steverowlands.deviantart.com/gallery/

it's actually a gif:

http://images.jozefmazeltov.multiply.com/image/1/photos/38/orig/1/MagicRoom.gif?et=4wEfXihYU%2BtVPu0KIMMOMA
(http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42432164/?qo=2&q=by%3Asteverowlands&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps)

RAV TUX
January 18th, 2007, 05:52 AM
current minimalistic desktop

bionnaki
January 18th, 2007, 06:59 AM
you should get rid of that ugly menu button

DarkN00b
January 18th, 2007, 07:15 AM
just scroll over where the buttons usually are and upon mouseover the button and label will appear.

I also like that with this theme there is NO title....simply Awesome!

It is possible to make every Emerald theme have no title, icon or even buttons by editing the theme in Emerald theme manager.

RAV TUX
January 19th, 2007, 01:25 AM
you should get rid of that ugly menu buttonI am sure there is a way to edit it,....just haven't done it yet.

RAV TUX
January 19th, 2007, 01:25 AM
It is possible to make every Emerald theme have no title, icon or even buttons by editing the theme in Emerald theme manager.hmm I will have to look into this

dbbolton
January 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM
in your kde settings, you can choose for it to act like mac, windows, unix, etc.
and yours must be set to windows, hence the start button.

is that the menu button you were talking about? or do you mean do change the graphic that's used on the start button ?

RAV TUX
January 19th, 2007, 03:49 AM
in your kde settings, you can choose for it to act like mac, windows, unix, etc.
and yours must be set to windows, hence the start button.

is that the menu button you were talking about? or do you mean do change the graphic that's used on the start button ?It is set to act like SUSE not windows...but that is the button....the only visible button left;)

RAV TUX
February 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
you should get rid of that ugly menu button
done