PDA

View Full Version : I need windows xp help quick

DougieFresh4U
January 13th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I ran a defrag on my Ma's windows xp and now she can not get online and keeps getting error message "fix me" please can any one give me a heads up. Mommy is freaking out. She will not switch to linux :(

d3v1ant_0n3
January 13th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Defragging Windows shouldn't make it throw a hissy fit- if anything it should make things better.

Did you run the defrag all the way thru or cancel it midway?

And what are the exact error messages and when do they occur?

Can you get online on the same computer with Ubuntu (from a live cd, for example?)

DougieFresh4U
January 13th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Sorry I don't have cd with me and she has dial-up which is a pain. and yes she paused defrag and tried to get online with it then she started playing as in restart machine and who knows what else. The error message says only "fix me" and that is when she is trying to go online. I hope I gave enough info as there isn't any more to give(I think)

d3v1ant_0n3
January 13th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I would run checkdisk (from the same tools menu as defrag), and defrag the drive again.

'Fix me' sounds like a very odd error message....

DougieFresh4U
January 13th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I believe that "fix me" is an AOL error message, as I said it pops up when she tries to log on AOL, if that helps you out with helping ME out :confused: thanks to any one who is replying

d3v1ant_0n3
January 13th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Ugh. AOL.I've never had anything but negative experience with their software and it's amazingly good at taking over.

Does using an alternative browser help? (Firefox instaed of IE, for example)?

Did checkdisk and defrag help any?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

DougieFresh4U
January 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Of course AOL has there own 'browser' thingy (doesn't open IE unless you open manually) and you are so right about AOL doing it's own thing and taking over. I am still recovering from the mess AOL created last year with my credit cards and all the E-mail crap. MY windows machine sits collecting dust and will most likely start a fire with all the dust on it if I start it up!! lol :p any ways back to problem at hand :-k

ice60
January 13th, 2007, 04:04 AM
hi, i don't want to sound like a troll, but i belong to a forum where alot of people are really in to windows defraggers (don't ask me why) so if you want the link for the forum, here it is -
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/

this is the section to post in -
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?&f=48

i hope it's OK to give the link? it's only really a windows forum, not linux.

EDIT BTW it would help if you give the exact error message and when you get it. that's if the message is any different to what you have given in this thread :)

DougieFresh4U
January 13th, 2007, 04:31 AM
An update to what is happening: error message gives 'Error then a bunch of numbers. she has a Norton anti-virus program and trying to remove 2005 version and update to new version seems to be the problem as it won't let me remove the old version (something to do w/user) but Mom's the only user for that machine so I don't understand that. After hours on phone with Norton and getting no where, I have decided tomorrow to call Microsoft help (is that possible?) and maybe they can help me with recovery mode. It's been quite awhile since I last dealt with that route, but for Mom's sake I'll deal with it. I do appreciate replies and suggestions from every one and a pleasant evening to all!! :)

d3v1ant_0n3
January 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I never had the pleasure of trying to remove Norton AV 2k5. I vowed never to touch one of their products after the fun I had trying to remove 2004 from a laptop that came with it preinstalled- I resorted to formatting and reinstalling windows. It seriously wouldn't go away.

Have you tried System Restore? I don't have a windows box to hand, but I think it should be lurking somewhere in 'Control Panel' ('Classic View' style)>System>One of the tabs.

Select a restore point from before all the hassles started and try that?

ice60
January 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM
there is a norton removal tool i think on their site. i don't know anything about how to remove it, but i'd make sure you have killed all the norton processes before you try to remove it. if it's only 'half' uninstalled then it might be a good idea to reinstall, then uninstall again.

i do know alot of my windows security friends help people with that problem fairly often though, and know how to remove it...

smoker
January 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM
norton removal tool from here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

once you have uninstalled norton, disconnect from internet (remove network cable), restart in safe mode, disable any screensaver, and defrag in safemode.

best of luck

tagra123
January 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Try reinstalling AOL's software - I recall there is a repair mode of installation.

bigken
January 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM
why dont you do a system restore and restore the pc to an earlier time

start/programs/accessories/tools/system restore ;)

derjames
January 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

once you have uninstalled norton, disconnect from internet (remove network cable), restart in safe mode, disable any screensaver, and defrag in safemode.

best of luck

Hey, reading through this Thread, it seems that it is more difficult to fix a Windows box than a Linux one... just a thought...

DougieFresh4U
January 14th, 2007, 10:33 PM
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

best of luck
Thanks for that link. Well all is solved after 5-6 hours on phone with H-P and Compact and $79 on credit card for support that actually broke machine even more and then told to restart and push F10(system recovery) I knew that and didn't need to pay $79 to tell me!!!lol:evil:
So aftewr recovery and getting back online I used mentioned link and removed Norton and so alls well with Moms :p :p Thanks to all for replies.