PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Kernel

altonbr
January 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I thought I'd bring to light a very important document: The kernel improvements in the new Windows Vista and Windows Longhorn Server (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/vista/kernel-en.mspx).

This is the "stuff" in behind Windows Vista and the entities that Computer Science majors and Application developers will really hone into.

It's interesting to read that Windows Vista will STILL have to reboot after major DLL updates.

Anyways, enjoy.

Johnsie
January 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Ubuntu needs to be rebooted after kernel updates

shining
January 12th, 2007, 06:41 PM

DLL updates <-> kernel updates ?
I thought it was equivalent to shared library updates.

angkor
January 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM

Only if you want to use the new kernel immediately. ;)

~LoKe
January 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM

No it doesn't. Only if you want to use the new kernel. There's also a huge difference between DLL's and a completely new kernel.

Johnsie
January 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah but you only need to reboot Windows if you want to use the updates too.... What i'm saying is, if you update Ubuntu you need to reboot if you want to make some major chnages to the system just like on Windows. DLL's and the kernel are a bit different from each other but major chnages require a reboot for them to be activated on both systems.

~LoKe
January 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah but you only need to reboot Windows if you want to use the updates too.... What i'm saying is, if you update Ubuntu you need to reboot if you want to make some major chnages to the system just like on Windows. DLL's and the kernel are a bit different from each other but major chnages require a reboot for them to be activated on both systems.

Changing your kernel is a serious thing. However, in Windows, it requires you to reboot to just run simple applications.

Completely different and shouldn't be compared.

Brunellus
January 12th, 2007, 07:12 PM
"major" is in the eye of the beholder. A running Linux system really need only be rebooted to load a new kernel. Almost everything else can be updated "hot".

Well, that's not really so. Updates to the xserver, for instance, mean restarting the xserver, but that can be done without bringing an entire system down. Of course, to a desktop user, that's not reallyi all that comforting, since the end of the X session means the end of all the programs that depend upon X.

But it has always astounded me that I should need to reboot my Windows XP system THREE TIMES to apply security patches to Adobe Acrobat. Why should a document reader update require a FULL system halt?

PatrickMay16
January 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Only if you want to use the new kernel immediately. ;)
Of course. But with the X update crashes and other problems caused by updates recently, it's far more sensible to boot into the new kernel straight away; you don't know if it will work or not, and it's better to find out now than a week or something later.

maagimies
January 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
But it has always astounded me that I should need to reboot my Windows XP system THREE TIMES to apply security patches to Adobe Acrobat. Why should a document reader update require a FULL system halt?You should ask Adobe about that instead of Microsoft, my pdf viewing Foxit Reader in Windows is a simple one exe, takes seconds or less to start, and is updated by downloading a newer exe, with no reboots :mrgreen:
I guess all that bloat in Adobe's software requires full attachment to Windows :mrgreen:

But I DO wonder why Windows needs to be rebooted when you change a Workgroup :confused:

G Morgan
January 12th, 2007, 07:43 PM
DLL updates are the equivalent of installing new libraries in Linux (all those .so files). Indeed DLL stands for dynamic link library. The difference is Windows has to restart if you do a kernel update and if you update libraries. Ubuntu only requires reboots for the kernel any new libraries could be used straight away.

bastiegast
January 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
In addition, try updating the Windows kernel :cool:

zerhacke
January 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM

When did DLL files in Windows equate to a kernel in Linux? I can't wrap my mind around that one. Are you new to Linux, Johnsie?

Hendrixski
January 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
reboots aren't a big problem for me as a laptop user.

What bothers me about what MS is doing with the Vista Kernel is hiding it from application developers who need it. Like Symantec, or Norton. This way their software won't work right on Vista, so everyone will stop using their products and switch to the on-board virus-protection software. The same thing they did with Netscape. Except... this is with anti-virus software.
\
Digging their own graves

bonzodog
January 12th, 2007, 09:51 PM
In linux, you CAN actually hot change the kernel in system memory. I don't remember off the top of my head how you do it, but you can swap to the new kernel without rebooting.

FuturePilot
January 12th, 2007, 10:45 PM
But it has always astounded me that I should need to reboot my Windows XP system THREE TIMES to apply security patches to Adobe Acrobat. Why should a document reader update require a FULL system halt?
Yeah, really. Once I installed updates and restarted only to find out there were more updates for the update I just installed. Oh my.:o

altonbr
January 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
This PDF doesn't say much, but the first couple cards are interesting tid-bits: http://www.i.u-tokyo.ac.jp/edu/training/ss/lecture/new-documents/Lectures/00-WindowsKernelOverview/WindowsKernelOverview.pdf

It's from the University of Tokyo.

Nonno Bassotto
January 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I can't remember exactly, but I'm quite sure I read an howto start the new kernel without rebooting. It was not something for the average Joe, involving chroot and the likes, but it should be doable.

Ubunted
January 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM

My last upgrade didn't require any reboots, just uninstallation of Acrobat Reader and running the Foxit executeable once so it associated itself with .pdf files.