PDA

View Full Version : Science dictionary

penguinchrissy
January 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Is there a science dictionary for open office. The standard one is horriable for scientific words like carboxyl, triacylglycerol (who would've thought :) )and I'm sick of having to add all of these words to it for my bio-notes. Anything that would just be a little better would help alot.

sethmahoney
January 12th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Not that I know of. OpenOffice is also horrible about knowing lit crit/social sciences terms. I think, though, that if you're inclined you can save all the science terms you've had to add to a new dictionary, export it, and make it available for others to use.

penguinchrissy
January 13th, 2007, 06:13 AM
I will try and do that. :p
Is there any way that I can find which words I have added so that I can add them directly to the science dictionary.

tweedledee
January 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I will try and do that. :p
Is there any way that I can find which words I have added so that I can add them directly to the science dictionary.

When you click "add" when spell checking, you can see which dictionary they are going into. To pull up the list of all words added, you can just click "options" in the spell checker window (or Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Writing Aids if the the spell checker isn't open), select the dictionary, and click Edit.

I think that if you create a "Science" dictionary and just put all your science words into that, you can just export that piece and you'd be all set to share, but I haven't tried it. Please do post if you get this to work, I'd make use of it.