PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a project

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hiya folks!

I have a question to ask of you:
Do you know a good project for me to do for my IT-class?

A little background info:
I'm 17 y/o, and doing my last year of school (don't know how it's called in english ).
Because the teacher always gives such boring assignments, i asked him if i could not make some kind of project and be graded by that.

Problem is:
We _both_ don't have any ideas...

So i'm asking you guys what you would think of a good project to do.

Please note:
i would very much like it to be linux-related. My skills with the computer (and linux) are pretty good (at least i think so :cool: )

Thanks in advance,

Iarwain

Hendrixski
January 12th, 2007, 05:41 PM
go to www.sourceforge.net and look at the new projects. Find one that you think is interesting, e-mail the developer, explain you'll do XYZ things with his/her program for a class, and get started.

If your professor wants you to do a project all by yourself, find a small one on sourceforge that you like, and create something similar. :)

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Hiya,
well, i thought of a project that is not really just about software :?

I had thought of something like setting up a server with this and that installed etc.

I'm not really into programming you see :D

Iarwain

G Morgan
January 12th, 2007, 05:46 PM
What are you interested in?

I assume you are talking about a programming project. If you want something that will be used then its better to look at some of the newer free OSes. Syllable in particular is short a few applications. That's not to say there isn't work to do in Linux but to do so would take much more effort because so much is already implemented.

Really though we can't say much without more information. What scope is the project supposed to cover? Are you talking strictly command line with standard libraries or are you going to use imported libraries for GUIs and other technology? What languages do you know?

Games are one of the weaker areas in Linux but that depends on your teacher being quite liberal.

//edit - posted before I saw your reply above.//

Sqwishy
January 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM
If you don't know how to program. GET BERYL! (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263851&highlight=beryl+howto) That's what i did (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=335473) ... but nobody cares :'(

Hendrixski
January 12th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Oh, a networking project. :) Here's a good one: find a local school and install Edubuntu for the little children. You can make one computer the server, and the other computers can be thin clients that connect to it. You will learn a lot about networking, and you will help children learn. Oh yeah, it it's probably lots of fun.

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
@ G morgan:
sadly enough i do not know any languages (except for english, flemish, french and german).

I would like the project to cover something like an old pc that's used for something a new pc is now used (using linux instead of windows)

Something along the lines of some server of some kind, or something with the command line...

I like the CLI :D

@ Sqwishy:
i have beryl :cool: but i do not know if i can install beryl untill i find (or make) a computer running linux on school :wink:

That would be a small problem you see, because i do not know if school is very fond of giving _me_ full control over a pc (i'm quite known because i always try to circumvent the security measures on those pc's :D)

Iarwain

Sqwishy
January 12th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Oh, a networking project. :) Here's a good one: find a local school and install Edubuntu for the little children. You can make one computer the server, and the other computers can be thin clients that connect to it. You will learn a lot about networking, and you will help children learn. Oh yeah, it it's probably lots of fun. i was thinking about doing that at my church. Does it work well?

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Oh, a networking project. :) Here's a good one: find a local school and install Edubuntu for the little children. You can make one computer the server, and the other computers can be thin clients that connect to it. You will learn a lot about networking, and you will help children learn. Oh yeah, it it's probably lots of fun.

Cheers for the idea,
but the only problem is:
my school is for students of 14-18 years, so we do not have any kids running around...

I would very much like something about networking (as i am interested about this quite alot)

Iarwain

Johnsie
January 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Check out the server forums on this site.... Also http://apachefriends.org is an easy way to setup a server.

Sqwishy
January 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
(i'm quite known because i always try to circumvent the security measures on those pc's :D) Ahhh... i remember the good ol' days where you were able to change the rights permissions an all the user's folders

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 06:14 PM
:D

Well,
that's about the only thing that can keep me entertained whilst "following" the lessons

Iarwain

Tomosaur
January 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM
If you're interested in networks, you could set up a collaboration program so that people could work on things together more easily.

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
How do you mean,
a "collaboration program" (my english is not that good)

Plus, please note that all of the pc's on my school run Xp Home Ed.

Iarwain

G Morgan
January 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Perhaps you can create a VMware virtual appliance to perform a set task for the school.

Sqwishy
January 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM
How do you mean,
a "collaboration program" (my english is not that good)
OH OH! Gobby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobby)! It runs on windows. It's not much of a project, it's like a multiplayer text editor. Fun fun.

Iarwain ben-adar
January 12th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Perhaps you can create a VMware virtual appliance to perform a set task for the school.

So you mean installing VMware (server), and run linux on that?

Iarwain