PDA

View Full Version : My windows rebate experience....

encompass
January 12th, 2007, 10:15 AM
To help promote linux in my little way...

I had purchased what, hardware wise, worked best with linux. Everything worked with the built in open source drivers that came with ubuntu. Everything but the webcam. But I don't care about that. To tell you, it was the Asus A7F series. One of the lower end versions but non the less a very good laptop.

They didn't offer it without windows so I asked that I get a refund because I don't agree with the licence of MS windows that I was about to use. They told me I needed to talk to Microsoft. Now I have never had nicer people to talk to then those MS people and they told me I need to talk to the Seller of the PC, called back to the seller I told them it was back in their hands. The nice lady at MS said that they will contact the seller and take care of things from there.
I told the seller they would be contacted and hoped everything would be settled. MS called me back and told me I need to contact Asus. Well with one email and about 4 phone calls, I still don't have a response from them about the license. In-fact they never answered their phones, it just kept ringing, not even on hold.
This morning, I got the announcement that my seller would be willing to refund my perchase with a product of choice. I offered a new Backpack for my PC and they accepts. About 65€.
Great huh!?
Not over yet. I still want to get my money back from Asus. This money will go directly to ubuntu for the great help that they have been over these years. Thanks Linux, thanks canonical, thanks community, and thanks seller, and Microsoft.

aysiu
January 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It's definitely the seller, not Microsoft.

By the way, when it comes to business like this, phones are a bad idea. You want a paper trail, not just "I talked to so-and-so..."

Read more here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

lotusleaf
January 12th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Now all we need is a website to collect information about these rebates and present a nice little thumbtack-on-a-world-map graph to get the word out even more.

Pobega
January 12th, 2007, 12:26 PM
What would M$ have to do with this company's computer sales? It seems kind of stupid of them to make you call M$.

Congrats on getting it done, and yay donations

floke
January 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Good idea lotusleaf.
Maybe there should be a 'standardised' letter/procedure that people could print off and use/follow, with all the legal blurb accounted for. That way there would be no confusion about the legal positions, and it would make it easier for people to pursue the matter.

If I have to buy Windows with my next machine I'm definitely getting a rebate!

encompass
January 13th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Now all we need is a website to collect information about these rebates and present a nice little thumbtack-on-a-world-map graph to get the word out even more.

Heh that would be cool.

encompass
January 13th, 2007, 04:06 AM
What would M$ have to do with this company's computer sales? It seems kind of stupid of them to make you call M$.

Congrats on getting it done, and yay donations

The sad part is, odds are the company will think of it as a rare incident and not ever resolve with Microsoft the issue because it takes to many man hours. So MS still gets there money.
That is the whole reason I am after Asus for getting this resolved.