PDA

View Full Version : Using Sabayon 3.26 x86 now!

RAV TUX
January 12th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Sabayon Simple Rocks!!!

never has the install, initial reboot and beautifully finished and polished results been so beautiful as with Sabayon, this is the most advanced, fastest, most beautiful OS in existence to date!!!

ok enough of that....

just wanted to share!

any questions?

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9594/sabauserbaruserv2kk5db5.png
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2989/beryluserbarra2.png

Shay Stephens
January 12th, 2007, 06:59 AM
You can't mention beauty without showing a screenshot man! ;)

RAV TUX
January 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM
You can't mention beauty without showing a screenshot man! ;)

My pleasure!

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9594/sabauserbaruserv2kk5db5.png
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/2989/beryluserbarra2.png

RAV TUX
January 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
a few more featuring "A Scanner Darkly"
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8969/snapshot5ke1.th.png (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot5ke1.png)

Shay Stephens
January 12th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Coolness. Here is mine:
http://www.shaystephens.com/~photos/screenshot-beryl.jpg

Now for some questions. As far as beauty, is there anything you can pinpoint, or is it mainly the whole or the sum of the parts? And when you mention fast, can you elaborate a little on that. My problem is that I process photos and speed is important to me when I am running hundreds of photos through a program. So if you were to put a percent speed boost to your computer (as subjective as that naturally is) what would you put it at, your rough feeling?

Right now I have about parity with XP, but no faster. I hear people talking about how fast linux is in comparison, but I have never been able to experience this ;)

rai4shu2
January 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Sabayon is very nice and quite a bit more responsive in my experience than Kubuntu. It's little too cutting-edge for me, though. I prefer my apps to be more stable than featureful. :)

The default theme they use is the best one I've seen so far aside from the default theme for Ubuntu Dapper. The only thing I had to tweak was to turn off the subpixel smoothing (which didn't work quite right in Kubuntu either).

mips
January 12th, 2007, 11:53 AM
My problem is that I process photos and speed is important to me when I am running hundreds of photos through a program. So if you were to put a percent speed boost to your computer (as subjective as that naturally is) what would you put it at, your rough feeling?

Right now I have about parity with XP, but no faster. I hear people talking about how fast linux is in comparison, but I have never been able to experience this ;)

Hard to place a percentage to feel. I have v3.20a and it is definately faster than ubuntu/kubuntu but then again i also use the 64bit version but i dont see that having a big impact as it will mostly benefit floating point stuff.

My suggestion to you would be to try it, you will be suitably amazed.

My XP feels faster than ubuntu/kubuntu but sabayon beats them all.

Shay Stephens
January 12th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Hard to place a percentage to feel. I have v3.20a and it is definately faster than ubuntu/kubuntu but then again i also use the 64bit version but i dont see that having a big impact as it will mostly benefit floating point stuff.

My suggestion to you would be to try it, you will be suitably amazed.

My XP feels faster than ubuntu/kubuntu but sabayon beats them all.

Ya, I have the torrent downloading, but it is going to be a few days before I can install it. Just seeing if I can get experienced thoughts in the mean time :-)

RAV TUX
January 13th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Coolness. Here is mine:
http://www.shaystephens.com/~photos/screenshot-beryl.jpg (http://www.shaystephens.com/%7Ephotos/screenshot-beryl.jpg)

Now for some questions. As far as beauty, is there anything you can pinpoint, or is it mainly the whole or the sum of the parts? And when you mention fast, can you elaborate a little on that. My problem is that I process photos and speed is important to me when I am running hundreds of photos through a program. So if you were to put a percent speed boost to your computer (as subjective as that naturally is) what would you put it at, your rough feeling?

Sabayon 3.26 is 80% faster then the most advanced Windows OS to date.

Sabayon 3.26 is 90% faster then OS X.

Sabayon 3.26 is 60% faster then any other Linux OS.

Sabayon 3.26 is 70% faster then any BSD OS.

At least on my hardware, yet this is just a gross approximation.

Sabayon is the only Linux OS that can play DVD movies smoothly without incident by default.

RAV TUX
January 13th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Sabayon is very nice and quite a bit more responsive in my experience than Kubuntu. It's little too cutting-edge for me, though. I prefer my apps to be more stable than featureful. :)

The default theme they use is the best one I've seen so far aside from the default theme for Ubuntu Dapper. The only thing I had to tweak was to turn off the subpixel smoothing (which didn't work quite right in Kubuntu either).

too cutting edge? while yes it is cutting edge it also happens to be the most stable OS in existence...

Sabayon is Gentoo plain and simple, just pre-compiled Gentoo, Gentoo is the most Stable Linux OS in existence.

The difference with Sabayon is they have done the work for you so in approx. 5 minutes you can have a stable, reliable and fast Gentoo OS running on your computer. The difference is this Gentoo is called Sabayon.

doobit
January 13th, 2007, 03:55 AM
It's got a lot of stuff on the DVD, but I need to put acpi= force in the command line to make it boot and it takes about 20 minutes to load up on my old machine.

RAV TUX
January 13th, 2007, 04:01 AM
It's got a lot of stuff on the DVD, but I need to put acpi= force in the command line to make it boot and it takes about 20 minutes to load up on my old machine.as stated previously Sabayon is not meant for old hardware....you can try the mini---but honestly there are alot of distros for old hardware....try Puppy Linux.

doobit
January 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM
as stated previously Sabayon is not meant for old hardware....you can try the mini---but honestly there are alot of distros for old hardware....try Puppy Linux.

Xubuntu works great on it, and I'm happy. Anyway, Sabayon looks great and will impress people I know who do have fast machines.

RAV TUX
January 13th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Xubuntu works great on it, and I'm happy. Anyway, Sabayon looks great and will impress people I know who do have fast machines.

cool stick with Xubuntu and impress with Sabayon;)

Shay Stephens
January 13th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Sabayon 3.26 is 80% faster then the most advanced Windows OS to date.
Sabayon 3.26 is 60% faster then any other Linux OS.

That's enough for me to notice :-) the torrent still has about 2 or so days to download. I am looking forward to trying it :-)

rai4shu2
January 13th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Sabayon is Gentoo plain and simple, just pre-compiled Gentoo, Gentoo is the most Stable Linux OS in existence.

Gentoo is possibly the most Stable, but I don't know about Sabayon. :p

RAV TUX
January 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Gentoo is possibly the most Stable, but I don't know about Sabayon. :p
Sabayon is Gentoo!;)

Shay Stephens
January 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Sabayon is Gentoo!;)

Oh right, next you will be saying ubuntu is debian, fedora core is redhat, or suse is slackware. Stop the crazy talk man!!!

Now if you don't mind I am going to go watch Joanie Loves Chachi and then some Laverne And Shirley. If I have time, I might be able to squeeze in an episode of Happy Days, and then watch a movie like American Graffiti.

rai4shu2
January 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM
It's probably the Beryl making me think that way. I'll try it out again when 3.3 comes out.

mysticrider92
January 20th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Sabayon is the only Linux OS that can play DVD movies smoothly without incident by default.

This is the only thing stopping me from trying it now (sitting here cursing copyright laws). I assume it uses the same "emerge --unmerge" package uninstall as Gentoo?

rai4shu2
January 20th, 2007, 05:41 AM
It contains DeCSS. So what? I own all my DVDs.

mips
January 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
This is the only thing stopping me from trying it now (sitting here cursing copyright laws). I assume it uses the same "emerge --unmerge" package uninstall as Gentoo?

Yes, it is Gentoo after all. It also has a gui frontend called Kuroo.

mysticrider92
January 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, thanks mips.

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Yes, it is Gentoo after all. It also has a gui frontend called Kuroo.It is Gentoo that also utilizes Slackware, Knoppix, and technology developed by other OS's...including as in Gentoo...BSD

Think of all the best that exist in Linux today...found in one place...that one place is Sabayon Linux....

This is why Beryl has made Sabayon Linux their official distro.....and others will follow...

I am proud to not only use but be on staff for both Sabayonlinux.org and Ubuntuforums.org

Two of the best distros in existence

now if I can just convince Ubuntu Devs to create a new version of Ubuntu based on Gentoo...or somehow integrate the current Ubuntu to utilize emerge that would be great...I did hear of one of the staff members porting emerge to Ubuntu but it only worked somewhat.

It would be nice to have a whole derivative of Ubuntu solely based on Gentoo....I have discussed this idea before....Ubentoo Box..............
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=307086&highlight=ubentoo+box

for know I don't see this happening....so think Sabayon is to Gentoo....like Ubuntu is to Debian

rai4shu2
January 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Plus, they will likely have KDE 4 first. :)

RAV TUX
January 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Plus, they will likely have KDE 4 first. :)True....anything latest and greatest they will have first....these devs are rockin the Linux world!:guitar:

mysticrider92
January 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
Yay, I am installing it right now! The default desktop actually looks pretty nice. I've only seen KDE, Fluxbox, and E16, but they all look good. Hardware detection is way better than basic Gentoo.

[edit] Got it installed, i'm now trying to configure it (I need Baghira to make KDE complete). It is very fast, and easy to use.

zaratustra
January 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yay, I am installing it right now! The default desktop actually looks pretty nice. I've only seen KDE, Fluxbox, and E16, but they all look good. Hardware detection is way better than basic Gentoo.Agree, but it will never be better then Gentoo. Well, in my terms of Linux distro. Using those eye candy bull*hit isn't what I really want. And it isn't all about hardware detection and stuff working out of box. Most of stuff about OSs different that Windows I learned while I was configuring stuff. NHF,I had to say what I think

Quillz
January 22nd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Exactly how easy/difficult is it to install?

fuscia
January 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM
i just installed 3.25 and it is definitely faster than ubuntu (i'm still pretty confused, though). so, rav, if i want to upgrade my whole system to 3.26, is there a 'just open a terminal and type...' way to do that? i thought i saw there was, but i'm burnt out from looking sh*t up.

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Exactly how easy/difficult is it to install?

Well if all goes well for you it is easier than ubuntu. You will have a fully working system out of the box. No need to install extra codecs etc.

mips
January 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
i just installed 3.25 and it is definitely faster than ubuntu (i'm still pretty confused, though). so, rav, if i want to upgrade my whole system to 3.26, is there a 'just open a terminal and type...' way to do that? i thought i saw there was, but i'm burnt out from looking sh*t up.

There is a patch available as far as i know. That is all I can tell you though, best to look on the sabayon forums or ask in the irc channel.

Someone else here could probably give you a better answer.

For now I'm stuck with 3.20a, I'll wait for 3.3 before I upgrade.

RAV TUX
January 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Agree, but it will never be better then Gentoo. Well, in my terms of Linux distro. Using those eye candy bull*hit isn't what I really want. And it isn't all about hardware detection and stuff working out of box. Most of stuff about OSs different that Windows I learned while I was configuring stuff. NHF,I had to say what I thinkSabayon is Gentoo...plain and simple.

Exactly how easy/difficult is it to install?It is the easiest of all Linux disto's to install.

i just installed 3.25 and it is definitely faster than ubuntu (i'm still pretty confused, though). so, rav, if i want to upgrade my whole system to 3.26, is there a 'just open a terminal and type...' way to do that? i thought i saw there was, but i'm burnt out from looking sh*t up.I just burned a copy of the new 3.26 DVD and did a fresh install....I think or did I use the "Sixth Sense"?...can't remember now it has been so long...I am overjoyed to hear you are using Sabayon.....best bet is to simply ask on the IRC chanel....

keep in mind that the Sabayon Dev team and users is very tight knit....it is like a big extended family.....

just ask on the IRC,.....irc.oftc.net....#sabayon

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
I tried it on my AMD Dual Opteron based PC at work and it smokes. So, I then made copies and handed them to the IT guys to test. I may convert them to Linux yet!

RAV TUX
January 24th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I tried it on my AMD Dual Opteron based PC at work and it smokes. So, I then made copies and handed them to the IT guys to test. I may convert them to Linux yet!

Simple Awesome!!!:guitar:

Polygon
January 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
its pretty cool, but im having wireless internet troubles with it, trying to get it solved as we speak

it for some reason refused to mount my usb key which works perfectly in windows / ubuntu

gnome does not have the networking utility installed by default (doh!)

it is fast though. Once i get a bigger hard drive i might have to dual boot with ubuntu and try it out.

unbuntu
January 25th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Sabayon caught my eye when today when I browsed distrowatch. I've never heard of it before tonight and yet it's a top-10 distro. I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately their website doesn't have a link to download, but after several minutes of "digging" on their forums I finally got a mirror address and finished downloading it after an hour.

After I tried it as LiveDVD I was quite impressed. I don't know about the speed issue because on LiveDVD it's kind of slow. I think I'm going to install it on my HD and experience all these "cutting-edge" stuff...

One concern though... how do you compare portage (emerge) with apt-get? Does Gentoo have the same huge app repository as Ubuntu (Debian)?

kazuya
January 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Sabayon is very nice. I may have to buy a DVD RW media for getting my updates. I am currently using Sabayon 3.25 and it is simply incredible.

I wonder if I can just update my system without using the newest DVD ISO? So far it is very great. My new number one distro of choice.

mips
January 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
As far as i know there is a patch available for 3.25 to upgrade to 3.26. Best you look in the sabayon forums & irc channel as I cannot give you any more info.

mysticrider92
January 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
It is the easiest of all Linux disto's to install.
I still think the Ubuntu installer is easier, but the Sabayon one is good. I am still trying to figure out why it installed everything on the dvd (KDE, Fluxbox, Gnome, XFCE, E16, and a lot of packages that I wouldn't use in the first place), when I selected the option for KDE only.

zaratustra: I agree with that point. Every time I try to find something easier than Gentoo, I end up going back to it. To me, there is something fun about doing everything yourself, even when it doesn't work right. I usually have two distros on my computer, Ubuntu for the "just works" feel, and Gentoo (or something like it) for the playing around with.

zaratustra
January 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM
zaratustra: I agree with that point. Every time I try to find something easier than Gentoo, I end up going back to it. To me, there is something fun about doing everything yourself, even when it doesn't work right. I usually have two distros on my computer, Ubuntu for the "just works" feel, and Gentoo (or something like it) for the playing around with.I like DIY stuff because I want to see how is it like inside of it and how isi it made. I study computing so every "additional" knowlegde is increasing the range of jobs I can do and chances to be better paid. Also, I feel like a geek deep in my soul... That's why I use and break and fix and break (while(1) {...}) Gentoo. I don't hate people that use it just to use it and show to the friends, but I just don't feel that way. sorry for OT-ing

mips
January 25th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I am still trying to figure out why it installed everything on the dvd (KDE, Fluxbox, Gnome, XFCE, E16, and a lot of packages that I wouldn't use in the first place), when I selected the option for KDE only.

What you selected was the DEFAULT desktop environment., if you selected Gnome it would have booted up in Gnome after a reboot. Everything that is on the DVD gets installed to HD.

I asked the devs about selective package/app install and their response was that at this stage it is technically very difficult to do and the status quo will remain but it might change in the future.

ahaslam
February 6th, 2007, 06:50 PM

What about Zenwalk & Dream Linux?

Do you know where I can find http/ftp Sabayon downloads (mini & full)? I gave my old one away & can now only find torrents (they would take me weeks).

Cheers ;)

Shay Stephens
February 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I finally got it downloaded and ran it on my desktop and my laptop! Wow, it looks great, is smooth, has nice effects, comes with a bucket load of programs, etc, etc. Makes Ubuntu look boring.

But it won't load on my laptop, and Ubuntu will. So I am going to stick with boring for now. But Sabayon is the direction I think many distro's will have to go in to keep users for the long haul. The polish and functionality is superb in Sabayon.

Thank you for the heads up about its existence, I will be keeping an eye on Sabayon's progress.

mips
February 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
What about Zenwalk & Dream Linux?

Do you know where I can find http/ftp Sabayon downloads (mini & full)? I gave my old one away & can now only find torrents (they would take me weeks).

Cheers ;)

They only have torrent sites as far as i know, they don't have the financial resources of bigger distros.

There is http/ftp if you are willing to pay a buck or two.

Here are two pay sites:
http://www.madtux.org/select.php?distro=Sabayon
http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.ph...j2999ml5ksq722 (http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=41_227&zenid=tmb60ugdccc7j2999ml5ksq722)

There might be free sites but I'm not aware of them.

There is NO mini-edition vor v3.26 last time I checked. 3.25c has a mini edition I think.

ahaslam
February 6th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Cheers mips ;)

ahaslam
February 7th, 2007, 04:53 PM
A week was a bit of an exaggeration, the torrent took me 12 hours :neutral:

The md5sum matches & I got a good burn, but it crashes. I tried the GUI installation but only got to 25% & the text installation got me to 36%. I think it's time related, as just using the live environment crashes somewhere between 30 - 60 mins. By crashing I mean that it simply stops reading from the disk, responding to very little.

Glad I didn't pay, but a little annoyed that I left my PC on over night for this :(

Tony.

PS. It did look sweet & it was quicker than previous versions though ;)

mips
February 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear that because for me it works like a charm. Maybe try their forums of #Sabayon on OFTC for advice.

ahaslam
February 7th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I was a little surprised, I had no problems with the previous mini edition.

My main reason for trying it again was to test the wireless capabilitys. From the live environment it was apparent that it was quite average in this aspect, equalling Ubuntu. It detected my card and worked with wep encryption, but not with wpa.

On a positive note, it does have the clearest fonts I've ever seen & the new menu is very nice. It is certainly the best looking kde distro about, eye candy with limited naffness ;)

I'll keep the disc this time (it probably just doesn't like my crappy lappy). I'm building a new system at the end of the month, it'll be a good test platform with beryl, quake4 and everything else ;)

Tony.

mips
February 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
On a positive note, it does have the clearest fonts I've ever seen & the new menu is very nice. It is certainly the best looking kde distro about, eye candy with limited naffness ;)

Strange you should mention the fonts as they really appealed to me as well and reckon the fonts are great. I'm not much for eye candy so have beryl turned off but I love the fonts.

RAV TUX
February 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Strange you should mention the fonts as they really appealed to me as well and reckon the fonts are great. I'm not much for eye candy so have beryl turned off but I love the fonts.

Yeah, I was a little surprised, I had no problems with the previous mini edition.

My main reason for trying it again was to test the wireless capabilitys. From the live environment it was apparent that it was quite average in this aspect, equalling Ubuntu. It detected my card and worked with wep encryption, but not with wpa.

I'll keep the disc this time (it probably just doesn't like my crappy lappy). I'm building a new system at the end of the month, it'll be a good test platform with beryl, quake4 and everything else ;)

Tony.

I have to commend the devs for making the most professional OS....as far as the Beryl backlash....for those who don't like it just turn it off....I have gone through periods where I do this for a while:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: