PDA

View Full Version : Avoid LG CD and DVD products for Linux

mistypotato
January 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Can you spot the reason you SHOULD NOT purchase an LG brand CD ROM or DVD ROM for a Linux system ;)

Ok...Hint... look at the list of supported Operating Systems.
They haven't heard of Linux yet :-)

taurus
January 12th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Move to Cafe.

po0f
January 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
mistypotato,

I didn't have to download any drivers from the manufacturer to get any of my hardware to work. CD/DVD drives are supported by the kernel, not drivers you download from LG.

mistypotato
January 12th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Can you Burn DVD's ?

I've been trying to get my LG DVD writer to work for days and so I went to LG's website.
When I saw that ALL their driver choices were for Bill Gates, I thought I had found the reason why I was
having so much trouble?

Not so ?

po0f
January 12th, 2007, 05:45 AM
mistypotato,

Yes. I don't own an LG product, but I have had no issues burning CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, and LightScribe media. Ok, I had to download something from the manufacturer for that, but it wasn't a driver. ;)

graigsmith
January 12th, 2007, 05:57 AM
all my lg cd drives have always worked great in linux.:???: that's why i keep buying lg.

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Can you spot the reason you SHOULD NOT purchase an LG brand CD ROM or DVD ROM for a Linux system ;)

that will never affect me. i mean, who in likely to want to buy anything from LG :shock::shock:. their reliability is amongst the worst.

riven0
January 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
that will never affect me. i mean, who in likely to want to buy anything from LG :shock::shock:. their reliability is amongst the worst.

Oh yeah? Try Sony. I had two cd-rw break down on me in a matter of months. One jammed on me when I hit the close button. Nice going, Sony. :rolleyes:

po0f
January 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM
riven0,

Really? I have a Sony CD-RW and CD-RW/DVD+-RW that have never failed me. I've owned the CD-RW for a couple of years now. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because of my upgraded DVD burner and the fact that the CD-RW isn't a combo drive. (I still keep it as a backup though.)

Henry Rayker
January 12th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I've never had a DVD drive (reader, not writer) that didn't die within a year. All of a sudden, they just stop reading disks...

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Oh yeah? Try Sony. I had two cd-rw break down on me in a matter of months. One jammed on me when I hit the close button. Nice going, Sony. :rolleyes:
i'm not likely to get anything by sony either. i've had nothing but bad experiences with them too. even sony ericsson(although, strictly speaking, SE is a separate company to sony, they still have many ties to them) phones are some of the worst most conked out heaps of crashing junk available in the mobile world. then there's exploding sony batteries, sony audio systems(utter junk), sony rootkits, and exploding sony ericssons. sony ericsson WSOD's(white screen of deaths) are world famous.

tdwester
January 12th, 2007, 06:33 AM
The LG looks real, good they have drivers for windows 3.1!!

3rdalbum
January 12th, 2007, 07:17 AM

Well, they have... I e-mailed them last year to tell them that my LG DVD burner works perfectly out-of-the-box on Ubuntu. I got a nice letter (80% of it form-letter) back.

I highly suggest NOT avoiding LG - ever since their name change I've heard very few people complaining about LG products. No small feat considering I work at an electrical store which stocks them.

If I had one complaint with LG, it would be that my LG DVD recorder/VCR combo is infested with DRM. Probably all DVD recorders with inbuilt VCRs have the same disease though.

SZF2001
January 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
LG and LaCie products are the greatest combination known to man.

Titus A Duxass
January 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I've used LG burners since I don't remember when.
I have just upgraded my 8180 to the latest from LG.
The 8180 is a CD burner with max speed of 2 and is first gerneration.
I have never had a problem with linux and LG.

nalmeth
January 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I had an LG burner that worked for a while
Bought it refurbished for $50

I got what I paid for

3rdalbum
January 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
LG and LaCie products are the greatest combination known to man.

Ooooo yes; LaCie are Insanely Great.

antw
January 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I have a LG GA 4163 multi burner that was auto-detected in dapper and edgy. Both have worked burning CD and DVD with no problems. I have not loaded any external drivers.

Maybe there is another issue that is preventing yours from working?

studiesrule
January 12th, 2007, 10:03 AM
The LG looks real, good they have drivers for windows 3.1!!

:grin:

Do they still have 3.1's around? I remember when I first used a comp it was a 3.1. Those were the days...

Sony products are weird. They come out with the most sophisticated, advanced, useless stuff, and their products just can't take any abuse. My Sony tape player, can't play a cassette older than a day (exaggerated of course).

eriqk
January 12th, 2007, 02:35 PM
My 8180 brutally murdered my Main Box and my server for no appearant reason after years of faithful service. It must have just lost it.

Groet, Erik

mahiyar
January 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
My LG burner is working great too, though of late (after 4 yrs of service) it seems to have developed some tray problem.

tbrminsanity
January 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I have been using an LG CD/DVD burner for the last little while now and have had no trouble getting all the features to work on it. I've burned CDs and DVDs, I've played moves (even out of region ones), and I was even able to run Sims2 through wine having the CD in the drive. You don't need to download the drivers from the company, you just need to know how to get the drive's features to work (ah how-to s, you are my savior!).

dvarsam
January 13th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Yes, IMHO Sony is very bad at producing PC: CD Players, CD Recorders, DVD Players & DVD Recorders!
I remember purchasing for a friend a Sony DVD Player & it was very bad!!!
You would press the eject button & wait for ages until the CD get ejected.
Same happened when you entered a DVD.
It would take ages until that DVD started rotating... :)

Bad experience dude!!!

Thanks.

P.S.> This reminds me of the "Phillips DVD Recorder DVDR3305" (Non PC)- one of the slowest products of the century!!! Stupid too!!! You stop a DVD while playing & press Play again & the DVD instead of resuming from last stop, starts right from the beginning!!! I remember I was trying to get rid of it on the same day I purchased it!!! For anybody interested, I still want to get rid of it... :)

spockrock
January 13th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I have an LG DVD reader, that I bought about 4 years ago, that that is working perfectly, its probably the only thing I have left from that build, actually that was about 1.5 builds ago.

I have an LG DVD Burner thats treating me quite well as well, so yeah, I have had 0 issues with LG.

mistypotato
January 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM
You know, I had never tried the CD writing on the LG drive, only the DVD writing.

Oddly, CD writing works on the drive perfectly, but not DVD writing?

It will read and write CD-RW's and it will Read DVD-RW's but it won't write DVD-RW's.

rev_b
January 13th, 2007, 07:27 PM
My LG GSA-4163B works perfectly in Linux, it burns CD's and DVD's without any problems.
I don't know why one would need drivers for a DVD burner, nor I understand why the recommendation against LG. They make inexpensive great hardware IMHO.

mistypotato
January 14th, 2007, 12:58 AM
rev_b........

Cause I was mad at it for not working and I'm a stupid Linux newbie.

Next question.

heinouskyle
January 14th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I use a Mad Dog DVDRW drive and it's never failed me. I've had the drive for over 3 years now, and burned thousands of movies and audio cd's.

qamelian
January 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM

They had a couple of bad models, but I generally find LG optical drive to be very reliable. My LG Super Multi-drive has successfully burned almost 4 times as many disks as any other burner I've ever owned and it's still going strong.
That said, when they do put out a bad product, it is definitely among the lowest of the low.

FuturePilot
January 14th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Yet they still support Windows 3.1:-k

That Kiwiguy
October 3rd, 2008, 02:38 AM
Yet they still support Windows 3.1:-k

LG still support Windows 3.1? I dare you to ask them a Windows 3.1 technical support question!
Kiwi.

Dale61
October 3rd, 2008, 05:47 AM

At the moment, I have a Sony DVD-R, and a Sony DVD-RW, both running perfectly. This pc is 8.04 only.

I also have 2 unused (new) Sony DVD-RW's ready for installation. One will go into another machine (XP only) as the one LG DVD-RW in that pc is not playing fair.

The second spare DVD-RW is just in case anything drastic happens and one fails unexpectedly. There's nothing worse than not having hardware when you need it, and as I got both for less than AU$60 (as opposed to AU$40 each), it was worth the expense to get both.

jrusso2
October 3rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
mistypotato,

Yes. I don't own an LG product, but I have had no issues burning CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, and LightScribe media. Ok, I had to download something from the manufacturer for that, but it wasn't a driver. ;)

I actually bought a LG DVD burner for this PC because it had a high rating in PC WORLD. Works fine in Linux. I don't use lightscribe media though so I can't speak to how that works but I am sure if I had the right software it would work.

g2no11ah2
August 28th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I have an LG combo drive that can't be mounted during installation. I'm running 8.04 or trying to at least. Anybody know where I can get drivers for it? I just bought it so it's one of the newer models. Please help.

Firestem4
August 28th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I have an internal ATAPI/SATA DVD-R/RW Burner on my desktop. It works fine.

chriskin
August 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM

one wouldn't need a driver for linux to use his cd drive

also, no other company gives linux drivers anyway

papangul
August 28th, 2009, 02:26 AM
look at the list of supported Operating Systems.
Have you checked the support lists of other manufacturers?

juancarlospaco
August 28th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I dont understand how a company can support the unsupported versions of an Operating System.

If even microsoft dont release any patch for Win 3.1,
how you can release fixes of an long time unfixed system?

chriskin
August 28th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I dont understand how a company can support the unsupported versions of an Operating System.

If even microsoft dont release any patch for Win 3.1,
how you can release fixes of an long time unfixed system?

they have the drivers and you can get them.
what don't you understand?

they never said that they will support new 3.1 customers or that they would make new drivers, they just keep those they have online

gletob
August 28th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Everyone always tells me my hardware choices are bad.

I swear by Western Digital HDs.
I use LG DVD-RW Drives.

They both work great for me.

g2no11ah2
October 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I have an LG combo drive that can't be mounted during installation. I'm running 8.04 or trying to at least. Anybody know where I can get drivers for it? I just bought it so it's one of the newer models. Please help.

I ended up installing 9.04 and it recognized my drive. So much for 8.04, it didn't.

chriskin
October 15th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I ended up installing 9.04 and it recognized my drive. So much for 8.04, it didn't.

obvious solution :)

The Real Dave
October 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I had a Sony Drive fail in 6 months. I have a few Philips ones which are all oldish, and hardworked, but perfectly reliable :) I like their stuff

sudoer541
October 15th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have LGs CD/DVD r/rw and it works perfectly!

NoaHall
October 15th, 2009, 10:05 PM
All three of mine are currently working perfectly, and they have since purchase.

undecim
October 15th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Wait, Windows users still have to go to the vendors websites to download drivers?

Shibblet
October 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Man! You're all wrong! Buy a Coby. They're the best! :P

cariboo
October 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have 2 LG dvd/rw drives, and except when karmic didn't detect one properly, it still worked in a Jaunty VM, I've never had any problems with them.

Obviously people are pretty bored, because they are digging up all these old threads. Does that mean that Ubuntu is working well for everybody?

mistypotato
February 3rd, 2010, 06:25 PM
The POINT of this thread was to point out that at the LG website, the LINUX operating system was NOT listed as a supported OS at the time I created the thread...whether they work or not.

This was not something I felt or made up...facts...black & white.

And yes, occasionally when I have little to do...or i'm "bored", I regress over my old threads and see if anything has been added.

;)

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
The POINT of this thread was to point out that at the LG website, the LINUX operating system was NOT listed as a supported OS at the time I created the thread...whether they work or not.

This was not something I felt or made up...facts...black & white.

;)

So you spread FUD and tell people to avoid their products?

lisati
February 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
Three LG drives here. The only problems I've had have been from a botched firmware update for one of them.

mistypotato
February 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
So you spread FUD and tell people to avoid their products?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with "FUD".

But...FWIW... at the time I created this thread...I could not get a LG DVD writes I purchased to work.
It was frustrating. After swapping drives with other computers, I was able to get an LG DVD writer working and it's been doing fine.

I have not been back to their site lately to see if they've added Linux to their list of supported OS's.

To me....when I go to a manufacturer's site and they EXCLUDE an OS as one supported by their devices, well, it should not take a genius to gather that maybe it's not the best choice. Maybe they just forgot to add it? Not my problem. My problem was getting a working DVD writer working on my Linux system.

As pointed out "numerous" times, it did not help to go to their support site and find that Linux was not listed as a supported OS. Can you see how, to a frustrated consumer that that would be a bit discouraging?

You're bored too right?

Tristam Green
February 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with "FUD".

It's not something you eat.

Wow, someone just won't let this thread die...

mistypotato
February 3rd, 2010, 06:43 PM
It's not something you eat.

Wow, someone just won't let this thread die...

Lmao...you're talking about yourself...right? (rolling)

JayKay3000
February 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
I had an LG screen. It worked for 3 years fine till the dog ran into my desk and it fell off the desk, it functioned fine for a few months before it finally packed up.

Officially Plextor is not supported by Linux but it seems to have worked fine. I've burnt a couple of disks with it using the GnomeBaker software. My 2nd dvd burner is a generic one. Both coming up for 4 years now, no probs.

mistypotato
February 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Pets....you gotta love em :)

Actually, I like LG products. It was just that one time trying to get that one DVD writer installed. I was sooooo dismayed to not find Linux in their list of supported OS's. It made me believe it was not going to work.

Otherwise...I would highly recommend their products. Their DVD writer has been doing great. Actually I think I have several of them now in Windows and Linux computers.

They also make great appliances and phones. I have an LG600 cellphone.

If I could re-write the title of this thread to ....maybe...
LG does not list Linux as a supported OS...I would but I don't think I can.

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Lmao...you're talking about yourself...right? (rolling)

Nope, you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8769125&postcount=49

texaswriter
February 3rd, 2010, 07:11 PM
It helps if you don't store your coffee cup in the tray. :p:D:o

Haha, j/k

Yeah, I don't think CD/DVD support is really a matter of downloading drivers, unless it's a usb drive. It's usually a kernel thing.

If it's not burning, double check that the drive is a drive capable of writing, and not just reading. It's very rare to see just cd-readers these days though.

phrostbyte
February 3rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Drivers for a CD drive shouldn't be necessary, as they all follow the same standard. Think of it being similar to how you don't need a driver for a USB stick.

Tristam Green
February 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
Drivers for a CD drive shouldn't be necessary, as they all follow the same standard. Think of it being similar to how you don't need a driver for a USB stick.

Remember the days of when you *did* though? :(

mistypotato
February 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Oak Technology and Mitsumi.....those were the days :KS

pwnst*r
February 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
lol@ the butt hurt private message mistypotatohead

arnab_das
February 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
my DVD writer/burner is LG and it has worked perfectly with jaunty and is now working perfectly with karmic. i though, have been facing a minor problem, the reason of and the solution to which are beyond my realms of imagination. evrytime i insert the lens cleaner DVD into the dvd tray, Ubuntu just freezes aka hangs, cant do anything, and i'm forced to restart (reset) my PC. anyone else faced this problem, its not the problem with the DVD though coz i tested it at my friend's place who has windows and it worked perfectly there.

mistypotato
May 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Down the road a bit now....I AM having a lot of trouble with my backup LG DVD writer.

Both of them. I had to disconnect one about 6 months ago. Now the 2nd one is acting up. They lasted about two years with light use.

Maybe my computer itself is causing them to have short lives? A mainboard / Hardware problem maybe?

If the majority of people on Ubuntu with LG drives are not having problems then it may point to my system.

Khakilang
May 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
I've been using LG DVD burner from Window to Lucid Lynx. From IDE to SATA connection. No problem so far. Never download any drivers just work out of the box.

Wee_Guy
May 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
My LG DVD burner has worked fine without me installing any drivers.

Ubuntu, on the other hand, hasn't worked properly. A while ago I recall having trouble getting Ubuntu to burn CDs. I can't remember what I did to fix it but it didn't involve drivers. (though, as per usual, it did involve digging around in text files via terminal:roll:)

mistypotato
May 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Wee Guy,
you make a very relative point...

I haven't tried burning with them in WINDOWSXP.

Hmmmmm....I'm going to give that a try...maybe it's a Ubuntu issue?

andras artois
May 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM
My LG drive worked fine on Ubuntu.

swoll1980
May 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've had my LG DVD burner for a couple years. It works fine with Linux distros.

cariboo
May 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
I've used LG drives for several years, I've never had any problems, There were a couple of times where my testing install was broken enough that I had burn an iso in Windows running in a vbox. The last 2 LG dvd/rw drives I bought were about 5 years ago, both drives are in daily use.

98cwitr
May 3rd, 2010, 06:15 PM
Can you Burn DVD's ?

I've been trying to get my LG DVD writer to work for days and so I went to LG's website.
When I saw that ALL their driver choices were for Bill Gates, I thought I had found the reason why I was
having so much trouble?

Not so ?

I don't have a problem with my LG drive. :?

btw, not ALL the product drivers were for Bill...there was a "Steve" option too :P

Down the road a bit now....I AM having a lot of trouble with my backup LG DVD writer.

Maybe my computer itself is causing them to have short lives? A mainboard / Hardware problem maybe?

If the majority of people on Ubuntu with LG drives are not having problems then it may point to my system.

You're missing the most important part of the computer to check...the user.

mistypotato
May 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I don't have a problem with my LG drive. :?
btw, not ALL the product drivers were for Bill...there was a "Steve" option too :P
You're missing the most important part of the computer to check...the user.

You may not have had DVD drive problems....but......

After a brief look at your posts and all the problems you have had yourself with your computer, I can see your point....did you follow your advice and check the user? Advice...easy to give, hard to live by right? :popcorn: :D:D:D

98cwitr
May 4th, 2010, 05:18 PM
You may not have had DVD drive problems....but......

After a brief look at your posts and all the problems you have had yourself with your computer, I can see your point....did you follow your advice and check the user? Advice...easy to give, hard to live by right? :popcorn: :D:D:D

please...enlighten me with a few examples. Most people havent had problems LG products is all Im saying...so why should everyone avoid them as the title of this thread suggests?

mistypotato
May 4th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Well,

I've got a little time to burn so ....

If you read the thread, it clearly states why...because LG listed the OS's that the LG DVD writer I had would work with and while numerous OS's were listed....LINUX was not. Regardless of any Linux distro's capability (At the time) to find the device and or properly set it up so it would work, I was MERELY POINTING OUT that they did not INCLUDE LINUX (at that time) as a SUPPORTED OS on their website. I even included a screenshot of their website.

The "Avoid" headline (which I cannot alter but would if possible), was based on the fact that I could not get it to work on Ubuntu 8.10 at the time AND the OS was not listed as supported. So it seemed logical, at least to me at the time, to make the statement I did. If LG contacted me personally, it would not change those facts. You have to take the thread in CONTEXT to the situation AT THE TIME and realize that forums are not necessarily places to go for 100% factual, scientifically validated information. If you read in a forum that jumping off a 10 story building with no safety devices is loads of fun...please don't take it as necessarily true. Anytime you have "public" gatherings, whether they be bars or forums, opinions will always be present. If I could change my heading, it would read "LG does not list LINUX as a supported Operating System". The heading instead was a reflection of my frustration with them AT That Time. Just like people say "I'm going back to Windows...Ubuntu is garbage" and so forth. The forum gave people with differing views than mine a chance to make a rebuttal and state THEIR experience. And that is good.

Reading further, you would see that I also commented that I do (or did at this point) like LG DVD drives. Since the time this thread started, I'm having troubles with Both MY particular LG drives. You cannot argue that. Whether it is the drives themselves at this point I'm not certain. You might buy 10,000 and never have a problem, but the two I have do both have problems...or at least appear to in the hardware environment in which they operate. So for the last time, I'm giving LG the benefit of the doubt that the drives could be ok and that it is possibly (even though I do believe it is the drives), that it is instead an issue with the computer they live in.

Also as I stated, it is "possible" that my particular computer could have mainboard issues but that is not definite or obvious as it appears to work fine in other aspects.

So, it's just an opinion based on a "fact" that the LG site omitted Linux distros (at the time) on their website. (which you can argue until you're blue in the face if you like, but it will STILL be a fact)...just as the statement, "there is water in the ocean" is a fact that you cannot overcome.

Personally, I have not been to the LG website where they list DVD players and the OS's that are supported, so I would guess Linux distros are probably listed there now.

So, let's stop bashing others who may have a situation different than ours or has had a different experience or opinion with a particular brand than you have. I have nothing against LG and find their products in general to be very good quality. Just not the two LG DVD drives I have :P

Does that help? Is anyone still upset? :popcorn:

LG is good. LG is great. I like LG Products. Please use LG products as they are simply terrific. Their DVD drives are a great value and work well with Linux. I mistakenly ommitted "SHOULD I" from my title. Can it be changed?

This thread is actually DATED and no longer relevant. The opinion expressed was for drives now several years old....and the OS in question is now several releases advanced. Can we move on to better and newer things?

PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD? :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

98cwitr
May 5th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I think the point we all were trying to make was this:

There was and still is no point for LG to list Linux on the drivers list because the I/O is supported at the kernel level. The extra drivers are for added benefit, not pure functionality (marginal...I've never installed drivers for any optical drives ever)...drivers for Linux are not applicable because it's not necessary. Just because it's not listed doesn't mean it's not supported (functionally). That's all.

nikhilbhardwaj
May 5th, 2010, 03:30 PM
i've been using an lg dvd combo drive for 4 years in linux and windows
and i've never had any problems at all.

i'll buy lg in the future

3rdalbum
May 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM
LG computer products, such as DVD burners for your computer, are alright.

LG TVs, DVD recorders, PVRs, air conditioners, washing machines etc are not worth buying. Too many problems.

blueturtl
May 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM
No GoldStar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoldStar) for me... I bought their "test winning" dual layer burner around 2005 and it couldn't accurately rip CD audio.

I don't think there's anything wrong with their Linux support though. You don't need drivers or burning applications for Linux anyway.

philinux
May 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Thread closed at OP request.