PDA

View Full Version : The most common spelling errors

meng
January 12th, 2007, 05:21 AM
So ... perhaps this has been done before, but I'm interesting in opinions as to the most common spelling errors in these forums. Off the top of my head:

its/it's
seperate
definate

Other suggestions?

Phatfiddler
January 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM
mississippi
recommend
beginning
quite and quiet

Quillz
Not necessarily spelling errors, but two/too/to are mixed up a lot, as are there/their/they're. And oddly enough, "misspelled" is often misspelled.

TBOL3
there
their
and they're

obsidion
January 12th, 2007, 05:24 AM
So ... perhaps this has been done before, but I'm interesting in opinions as to the most common spelling errors in these forums. Off the top of my head:

its/it's
seperate
definate

Other suggestions?

your instead of you're would probably be the most common

d3v1ant_0n3
January 12th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Weird and Wierd always get me.

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 05:32 AM
i was going to suggest "definite" because i've seen soooooo many people spell it as "definate" because that the way it sounds.

other ones are receive(recieve) and your/you're

i've also seen supercalifragilisticexpialidocious misspelt quite a few times.

aysiu
January 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
How about unbuntu?

Or *******?

Titus A Duxass
January 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Not a spelling mistake, but it gets on my t*t*:

Loose & lose.

blackened
January 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I think the homonyms are always the worst.

to/too/two
there/their/they're
your/you're
then/than

I don't mind typos or mistakes, but I'm nit-picky about the way people possesively refer to certain nouns. As in "My Ubuntu" or "My Gnome". To me these should be properly referred to as "My system" or "My desktop environment". There's just something vague about it that drives me crazy, but then I did say I was nit-picky.

steven8
January 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM
One of the most often mispelled things is not a word, but an abbreviation. Etcetera. Abbreviation: etc., is so often put down as ect.

blackened
January 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
One of the most often mispelled things is not a word, but an abbreviation. Etcetera. Abbreviation: etc., is so often put down as ect.

Right you are, but it's actually two words: "et cetera".
et=and
cetera=others or other things
Either way, the abbreviation is commonly misspelled.

beercz
January 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Inappropriate use of apostrophes really annoys me. Particularly when it is used for pluralization, eg. DVD's where it should be DVDs.

There seems to be a lot more inappropriate use of apostrophes these days, for example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/3681938.stm

This is how it should be done: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blast/writing/advice/tips/use_of_apostrophe.shtml

Also accommodation and necessary are another two words that are often miss pelt.

(I have spell checked this posting)

beercz
January 12th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Ooops - posted in error. My apologies.

ffi
January 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM

its/it's

Other suggestions?

My keyboard input sometimes get irky and doesn't want to write dead key characters ( like ' "or ~ ) so that's why I write its a lot instead of it's. I do know the difference however. ](*,)

blackened
January 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
My keyboard input sometimes get irky and doesn't want to write dead key characters ( like ' "or ~ ) so that's why I write its a lot instead of it's. I do know the difference however. ](*,)

No worries. This is a venting thread for the ruthless pedants of the world. No police actions going on here. :)

Jussi Kukkonen
January 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM
This is a venting thread for the ruthless pedants of the world.
Sir, reporting for duty sir.

My absolute favorite is "kernal". Although, if you use the term because it's stuck in your head from your Commodore days, you're pardoned.

TooRight
January 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I am so anal when it comes to spelling, all the above listed words bug me so much when i see them!!

I DO commit the apostrophe one quite a bit though, on purpose :oops: As crazy as it sounds, sometimes it just seems to make my point more effectively, lol. Yet I know, even as I am typing it, this isn't a contraction, nor is it possessive, so why the hell am I doing it??!! lol

bigken
January 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM
evewy fink eye wite :???:

23meg
January 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Aside from those already mentioned:

Ubantu, Ubunto
Automatrix
Depositories
Berly
Fiesty, Drapper

Pobega
January 12th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I've never once seen any of my friends from school use the word they're. They always substitute it out for their, which does get on my nerves from time to time.

But how about the ever so common:
u/you
r/are

Even though people do this personally because they say it's quicker, I can't really see it being much quicker than typing out the words normally. Honestly I type 65 WPM in proper English when they probably type 30 WPM in retard English.

truthfatal
January 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I get irritated when I see "distrobution," and "grammer." I also dislike the American spelling of colour, even though I know that it's considered acceptable and correct almost everywhere.

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 02:44 PM
there's another one, highlighted in bold - misspelt/misspelled.

I get irritated when I see "distrobution," and "grammer." I also dislike the American spelling of colour, even though I know that it's considered acceptable and correct almost everywhere.
you guys in canada spell it the same as we do in the UK.....and that is the CORRECT way to spell colour, honour, etc. american english is non-standard english. standard english is british english.

mips
January 12th, 2007, 02:55 PM
ComplexNumber,

You just beat me to correcting you :mrgreen:

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
ComplexNumber,

You just beat me to correcting you :mrgreen:
thats because i'm the typo king :mrgreen:. in any typical post by me, there is usually at least 1 typo....so i invariably have to go back and correct myself.

blackened
January 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM
My problem isn't so much typos as inadvertent word omission. I always use quick reply, and never preview my posts, so I usually wind up editing a single post 2 to 3 times. Stupid I know.

Wolki
January 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Something that always cofuses me is people who write "could of" or "would of" instead of could've/would've. It doesn't make any sense. ~_~ (and it doesn't even sound the same unless you devoice the final fricative)

aysiu
January 12th, 2007, 03:52 PM
there's another one, highlighted in bold - misspelt/misspelled. Both are acceptable spellings:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=misspelled

ComplexNumber
January 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Something that always cofuses me is people who write "could of" or "would of" instead of could've/would've. It doesn't make any sense. ~_~ (and it doesn't even sound the same unless you devoice the final fricative)
true. "could of" is grammatically incorrect. the correct way is "could have". i think it's because "could of" sounds like "could've".

Both are acceptable spellings:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=misspelled
ok. i stand corrected.

23meg
March 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Some really tickle the imagination:

* Video driers
* Meatcity

qamelian
March 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Some really tickle the imagination:

* Video driers
* Meatcity

Ahh, yes. Meatcity: the least favourite window manager of vegans everywhere!

jgrabham
March 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM
The thing that gets me is that my schools computers all have american settings, so it says colour and flavour are spelt wrong. When you change them they change themselves back when you log off.