PDA

View Full Version : Latest updates instability

bastiegast
January 11th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ok this really gets me boiling :evil: .

I decided to post this in the cafe since its more like a discussion thread and I wanna know if more people share this experience.
Yesterday I installed some updates and since then my X is so friggin unstable! Whenever I start beryl, wine, or screensaver X crashes back to login. WTF? Why does this have to happen? What is this? You call this user friendliness?
... *relaxes* ...
Ok sorry, I let myself go a bit. But really, this drives me mad. Now maybe its just me having problems, maybe it's pure coincidence, maybe it's cause I use unsupported stuff, or the wrong repo's, that's why im asking you iif you had the same experience. It started from the moment I installed some updated related to Xorg.

tageiru
January 11th, 2007, 11:50 PM
You call this user friendliness?

Obviously not, but you are using unofficial packages for core parts of your system, that is insane if you want a predictably stable system.

FuturePilot
January 11th, 2007, 11:54 PM
So that's what messed up my computer. Well not recently. A few months ago I installed some updates and then it seemed everything was crashing X to the login screen. The screensaver, wine, Open Office, glx gears. It was almost unusable. Eventually did a complete reinstall. Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out about it. I couldn't figure out what did it, but now that I see you have the exact same problem I was having I know it was the updates.:???:

PriceChild
January 11th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Beryl for one is still no-where near final release. - its guaranteed instability.

So far you are the only one complaining of the issue and so I'm guessing its user error.

Pobega
January 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Beryl and a lot of those non-official programs seem to be having a lot of problems since the most recent upgrade, I'd just give it time and there will probably be a patch and you can get through a terminal session.

FuturePilot
January 11th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Well when it happened to me I didn't have anything special installed. No Nvidia driver or Beryl.

Tux Aubrey
January 12th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I have not had the instability problem but a couple of recent updates have failed to install some components, apparently because of third-party issues - the main issue seems to be the generic restricted modules. I'm not sure whether it is Automatix, Beryl or the nVidia drivers causing my problems. Update manager suggests a dist-upgrade (to what, I don't know. I am running edgy) but immediately reports it is not possible.

I suspect lack of coordination between the repos for the third party gear is at the heart of my problem. I plan to uninstall Automatix and Beryl over the weekend.

I really must take the warnings about Beta software more seriously! When I was using Windows, I used to avoid betas on my "production" machine but have relaxed my guard since I moved to Ubuntu.

On that note, it would seem appropriate that the Forum mods step in occassionally to remind us that some of this stuff is very experimental and not supported. Its fine to ask for help, of course, but we should not expect every peice of third-party software to work consistently or in a user-friendly way "out of the box".

bastiegast
January 12th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah well I guess it has something to do with beta stuff conflicting. The reason I get mad at this is probably I want my favorite software (ubuntu) to be perfect, it drives me crazy if it does something not perfect, even though it might very well be my own "fault".
Usually with this kind of problems, when my anger fades away, I simply try somethings, reinstalls, downgrades and the problem is fixed very easy, sometimes I live with it a few weeks and then fix it :)

So that's what messed up my computer. Well not recently. A few months ago I installed some updates and then it seemed everything was crashing X to the login screen. The screensaver, wine, Open Office, glx gears. It was almost unusable. Eventually did a complete reinstall. Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out about it. I couldn't figure out what did it, but now that I see you have the exact same problem I was having I know it was the updates.

Your (former) problems look very similar to mine. I hope I don't have to do a reinstall. :-k