PDA

View Full Version : Who's Your Ubuntu Hero

jonah1980
January 11th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Just a thread to show some respect. I'm pretty much take take take, whether getting help in here, IRC or just taking apps etc without giving much back. I'd like to say thanks!!

Who's your hero of Ubuntu, whether user, dev or founder etc?

Mine are RAOF and PriceChild for making the AMD64 platform a better place to be... Thanks guys.

fuscia
January 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
anyone who has ever helped me.

Lord Illidan
January 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Mark Shuttleworth is definitely one, without him, no Ubuntu.
And UbuntuGeek made the forums, so he's definitely in the list.
And I'd like to thank anyone who helped in any way on the forums, too.

PriceChild
January 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Mine are RAOF and PriceChild for making the AMD64 platform a better place to be... Thanks guys.Aww thanks dude! :)

Its amazing as I don't even have a 64bit :) (Oh and I'll be offering ppc soon ;) )

One of my heros has got to be Aysiu for all the guides! But then you gotta love ubuntugeek for these forums :)

EDIT - scratch that ppc bit... there's complications suddenly.

dbott67
January 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Mine are (in no particular order):

- Mark Shuttleworth - for obvious reasons
- ubuntugeek - for these forums
- azz - for his honesty & integrity in trying to make Ubuntu the best distribution. He does not blindly follow, but views things with eyes wide open. It is sometimes difficult to oppose the majority, but his comments generally provide a more balanced and thorough view.
- aysui - for his essays and insights

-Dave

Engnome
January 11th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Mark Shuttleworth is definitely one, without him, no Ubuntu.
And UbuntuGeek made the forums, so he's definitely in the list.
And I'd like to thank anyone who helped in any way on the forums, too.

Those are the ones that really stand out from the crowd yes, kudos to aysiu for making psychocats.net and everyone else that contribute to guides and stuff. :KS

Erunno
January 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hmm, the only one who ever caught my attention was Aysiu and StormyEyes. The former one due to many interesting articles and balanced views and the later one for having an acidic humour ;)

Anyway, enough with the person cult for now :)

~LoKe
January 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Aptitude cow.

Obor
January 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I always find aysiu's posts and articles very helpful.

...and fuscia as a "ubuntu cafe hero" for all the funny posts that get me LOL...

mykalreborn
January 11th, 2007, 07:17 PM
my ubuntu hero is ubuntu itself. the meaning of the word, the linux distribution, the wondrfull comunity, the help you get, the giving away of free cds.
just ubuntu...

henriquemaia
January 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Definitely Mark.

jonah1980
March 1st, 2007, 09:04 PM
My heroes also are the guys off HE-MAN - the Masters of The Universe...

reldruH
March 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
My ubuntu hero for 03/01/2007 is FunnyLookingHat in the #ubuntu+1 irc room. He pushed for the mythtv packages to be updated in the repos and I'm about to install my first mythtv system. Kudos to FunnyLookingHat!

muguwmp67
March 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM
All of the folks with the red names (forum staff)

floke
March 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM
I second that.

Three cheers for the forum staff,

Hip hip...

Erik Trybom
March 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM
Arnieboy for writing Automatix.

Without it, I'd probably given up long before I actually got anything working.

glotz
March 1st, 2007, 10:35 PM
One of mine is Herman for hermanzone http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

IYY
March 1st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Aysiu, and Mark Shuttleworth.

kazuya
March 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
everyone of you guys including Mark, the forum support staffs...

dada1958
March 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
Donald Knuth, Mark Shuttleworth, Nelson Mandela and all those others I forgot to mention, who are not afraid to share and serve humanity ...

DoctorMO
March 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
HE-MAN

I always thought He-man was some prosthetic joke and play on words.

Hero: Richard Stallman, Unwavering commitment to freedom; Linux Torvolds for a commitment to technical excellence; Mark Shuttleworth for a commitment to the user experience and finally Aysiu for his commitment to ubuntu people in need of help and guidance.

NewOldTimer
March 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Some guy on a CNet clip talking about this distro...leading me to investigate...
and all of you here for sharing your knowledge
Thank You Thank You Thank You...YOU ARE MY "HERO SQUAD"

AndyCooll
March 2nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Hero: Richard Stallman, Unwavering commitment to freedom; Linus Torvolds for a commitment to technical excellence; Mark Shuttleworth for a commitment to the user experience and finally Aysiu for his commitment to ubuntu people in need of help and guidance.

This pretty much sums up my viewpoint, apart from Aysiu! Rather than single out one person my preference would be to give all those on these forums who give their time and effort on these forums, hero status (so that includes Aysiu, all the forum staff, you DoctorMo, and probably you, the one who is reading this post)

:cool:

cantormath
March 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Jeff Baillie, a developer that help me and a friend get the ipod working on ubuntu while we were at the desktop linux convention in san diego.
Richard Stallman and Linus Torvolds for giving us stuff to talk about here.

SishGupta
March 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
I think Mark Shuttleworth has a great vision for linux/ubuntu.

I'm also a fan of Trevino because of his awesome repositories (esp Beryl SVN)

wersdaluv
March 2nd, 2007, 01:47 AM
My ubuntu hero is aysiu! :)