PDA

View Full Version : Altering the Control-C behaviour in bash scripts??

ssalman
January 11th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Hi,
I'm running a time/CPU consuming/intensive set of programs in series using a bash script. Some may not finish at all!! and I would like to hit control-C and stop that one program and move on to the next after few hours/days, how can I do that in bash scripting? Alternatively (really a better option) I would like to set a time limit for each program after which it will stop and move to the next... currently I don't have control over the run time of each program.

Thanks in advance.

ghostdog74
January 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
you could use traps (http://tille.xalasys.com/training/bash/ch12.html)?

ssalman
January 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM
you could use traps (http://tille.xalasys.com/training/bash/ch12.html)?

How would I trap the INT signal and then make it resume the next statement in the script?

supirman
January 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
a short example doing a trap on Ctrl-C.

#!/bin/bash
trap 'echo Control-C trap caught; exit 1' 2 #traps Ctrl-C (signal 2)

while true
do
echo infinite loop
sleep 2
done

Perhaps you could put a custom function call in the trap handler to keep track of which task you're currently on, and which to go to next...

ssalman
January 11th, 2007, 04:53 PM
a short example doing a trap on Ctrl-C.

#!/bin/bash
trap 'echo Control-C trap caught; exit 1' 2 #traps Ctrl-C (signal 2)

while true
do
echo infinite loop
sleep 2
done
Perhaps you could put a custom function call in the trap handler to keep track of which task you're currently on, and which to go to next...

Thanks for posting the sample code, but the above code will exit as soon as I press Control-C, the behavior I'm looking for is to break out of the command (sleep in this case) but continue with the bash script (the loop in this case). is that possible?

Alternatively, can I set an upper limit for a command to run after which it will be terminated if it did not finish earlier.

Thanks for all the help.

haelters
December 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I know it a late answer, but you might be interessed in ulimit...

Manfred