PDA

View Full Version : New to Ubuntu

openroads
January 11th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Ubuntu is the first real alternative to windows I have seen, and yes I do like windows. Tried Red hat , Debian and Susie and got a sore head. Our high schools are training my children on Apple and Microsoft but no Linux of course however ubuntu could change that.

With Xp I can download programs from the net and run them very quickly, ubuntu updater is fine but lets take Adobe and download from their site, how???? And what the heck are tar balls? Similar question applies to downloading Google Earth, Linux.

I picked the Utah team because southern Utah is spectacular country and great people.

cheers.

Zelut
January 12th, 2007, 01:18 AM
well if you're in the utah or SLC area drop by one of our meetings & we might be able to clarify some of those questions.

glad you dropped by our forum.

thenetduck
January 14th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Hi openroads
Thanks for posting,
I think you would be very interested in some projects that will help you get Ubuntu up and running very quickly with no hassle. This is in reference to proper codecs, Adobe like you posted about and other popular applications.
My first recommendation would be to try using Automatix2. It can be found and downloaded here --> http://www.getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installation
Use the "Direct Installation". All you have to to is double click on the downloaded .deb file and it will install. Next just select the popular applications you want.
My second recommendation would be to use easy ubuntu. I don't know too much about it but it can be found here -->http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/get.html
With installing Google earth (It can be installed through Automatix but I will mention it in case you run into it later on.) you need to use the ternimal. What you do is open your terminal (This can be found in Applications --> Accessories -->Terminal) The navigate to the location of the .bin file downloaded from google. You can navigate with the cd command. Us the ls command to list the files in the directory. When you are in the directory you downloaded google earth, type in sudo sh <what ever the .bin files name is) and press enter. You should be asked for your password then it will install google earth.
You might have known a lot of this already but I try not to assume. Hope this helps some.

The Net Duck
P.S. You can install programs by using your "Add/Remove" program under Applications. Make sure you have enabled all of your sources in your repository also.

Frijolie
January 31st, 2007, 02:19 AM
Automatix and EasyUbuntu make it extremely easy to install the proprietary and closed source extras. I can recommend these applications from my own personal experience. I can also claim that I have installed these codecs, plug-ins, and extras individually. However, I can honestly say that Automatix and EasyUbuntu sure make it a whole lot easier! If you stick in there, I guess there's talk about including the closed source proprietary stuff in one metapackage in the next Ubuntu (Feisty) release.

bretticus
April 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM
Ubuntu is the first real alternative to windows I have seen, and yes I do like windows. Tried Red hat , Debian and Susie and got a sore head. Our high schools are training my children on Apple and Microsoft but no Linux of course however ubuntu could change that.

With Xp I can download programs from the net and run them very quickly, ubuntu updater is fine but lets take Adobe and download from their site, how???? And what the heck are tar balls? Similar question applies to downloading Google Earth, Linux.

I picked the Utah team because southern Utah is spectacular country and great people.

cheers.

openroads, are you in St. George?

sonnynv
April 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
:D I have heard about ubuntu and sent away for their CD's,
I have received them and frankly I am a little afraid to install.
I have read your forum and other info on Ubuntu, and I really
don't understand half of it. Like linux not compatible with different
programs and some of the language you use for the program.

I am not what you would call literate in programing. Anyway, the
bottom line is it really beneficial to switch from Windows to
Ubuntu.
Thanks
Tom (Elko, NV)