PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

shrimphead
January 10th, 2007, 06:23 PM
I've just used the option in the search menu at the top of the page to view all of my threads. (there aren't many :P I mostly tend to answer other peoples) and it's just occured to me that every time I have posted on the forum asking for help I haven't had a single response :(

I have tried to provide as much information as I can and phrase my question in an OK way! Am I asking the wrong questions or am I phrasing it wrong or being too vague or something?

mand0
January 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM
You aren't doing anything wrong.

Your questions may have been answered often in the past and people feel as though you should search for the answers yourself. It could also be that people do not know the answer. Perhaps the most knowledgeable forum-goers are busy with RL, who knows. The point is don't take it personally. Try searching more in these forums and in the internet in general and keep asking questions.

GameManK
January 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I get that feeling too sometimes. I figure I ask some esoteric things. Makes sense since I do what I can to find the answer elsewhere before I ask questions.

And wow you abbreviated real life.

d3v1ant_0n3
January 10th, 2007, 08:41 PM
It sometimes helps to bump your threads if noone is answering- not excesively tho (every few days if it's a major deal and you can't find an answer elsewhere).

The sheer number of users on these forum means that if you put a thread in Absolute Beginner Talk, it can be off the front page in 30 mins at peak times.

doobit
January 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I just read all of the threads you started. I don't have answers for any of them because they are specific to things that I have never used or tried. If I could help, then I would, or even if I could point you in a direction, but I don't know anything about Japanese, or Guitars, etc.

mips
January 10th, 2007, 08:58 PM
See my signature.

PatrickMay16
January 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM
I just had a look through the threads you had posted, and the requests for help were very polite and well-formed; so ignore what mips has said.

After looking through your help threads, I saw that most of them were about pretty obscure problems, so not many others would have encountered them, so nobody who saw your thread knew how to help.

So you're doing nothing wrong, it's just that you've had some unfortunate troubles that nobody knew how to handle.

mykalreborn
January 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
hey, think of it this way: you're asking questions that are so intelligent and advanced that not even the forum kings around here can answer. you should be proud of yourself. :D

mips
January 10th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I just had a look through the threads you had posted, and the requests for help were very polite and well-formed; so ignore what mips has said.

I did not read his threads.

shrimphead
January 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
lol thanks for all the help.

Don't worry I'm not on the verge of giving up, I love Ubuntu too much for that :)

I have read and re-read the article that mips has in his sig many times over, one of the cornerstone texts of OSS IMHO.

I guess I was just a bit worried that I was inadvertantly offending people with the way I ask questions, it's good to know that that's not the case :)

mips
January 11th, 2007, 03:52 PM
lol thanks for all the help.

Don't worry I'm not on the verge of giving up, I love Ubuntu too much for that :)

I have read and re-read the article that mips has in his sig many times over, one of the cornerstone texts of OSS IMHO.

I guess I was just a bit worried that I was inadvertantly offending people with the way I ask questions, it's good to know that that's not the case :)

Nah, I just wish they would sticky that document on the first page of the forums before people even get a chance to ask anything :mrgreen:

shining
January 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Maybe a general forum of a linux distribution isn't indeed the best place for asking specific questions. So you'll need to find a more specific forum / mailing list / irc channel for asking your questions :)

Christmas
January 11th, 2007, 04:23 PM
It happened to me too. It doesn't mean it's necessary something wrong with your questions I guess. Most of the time spending about 30 minutes searching the forums will get your question asked. This thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82471) is about this issue, so you might want to take a look.