PDA

View Full Version : UK Ubuntu pre-installed computers

dalejefferson
January 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Our new website has just gone live. 8)

We sell Asus Pundit bookcase systems with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled

Site is efficientpc.co.uk (http://efficientpc.co.uk)

More content will come later.

Cheers

whitefort
February 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Nice website, and I like the look of your computers - it's great to see someone in the UK selling Ubuntu machines.

I just have one quick question - do you have any plans to sell laptops?

Thanks!

dalejefferson
February 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Yes we will be selling Laptops early next month (March)!

They will be ASUS laptops with onboard Nvidia graphics so you get 3D support.

I'll post when I have more details

whitefort
February 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Yes we will be selling Laptops early next month (March)!

Yippee!
And thanks for replying so quickly - I was just on the verge of making a purchase that I would probably have regretted.

I'll wait a few weeks! Thanks again.

jvc26
February 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Nice to see a UK computer company selling Ubuntu based pcs :)
Il

apjone
March 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
cool site

bandie
March 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
obviously a Stargate / Stargate Atlantis fan
:popcorn:

dalejefferson
March 13th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Well spotted bandie :KS
I'm a massive fan of Stargate so what better to name our systems.

Glad you like the site, im currently moving over to OsCommerce just reskining it now, the new site should be live next week.

rubenr999
March 14th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Great website :) I am trying to do the same in Mexico, build systems with Ubuntu and sell them, however I am having difficulty finding Ubuntu (or at least Linux) software experts to provide local support. I am a hardware engineer so, any suggestions?
Thanks

mungy
March 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Site is www.efficientpc.co.uk (http://www.efficientpc.co.uk)

Cheers

This is good news!

You may not be aware of the distance selling regulations:-

Distance selling regulations require you to set out:

* your business name and postal address (when advance payment is required)
* a description of the goods or services
* prices, including all taxes
* delivery costs
* payment arrangements
* arrangements and date for delivery of goods or performance of services - within 30 days of the order if you don't specify a date
* the customer's right to cancel the order and details of who bears the cost of returning the goods if they do
* how long prices remains valid
* the minimum duration of contracts

more info: http://tinyurl.com/2m4xvt

dalejefferson
March 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for that link mungy,

Very interesting reading,
I need to write a terms and conditions page, and add our address and company number.

I'll get straight on it, I don't want anyone thinking we are a dodgy company :(

JGJones
March 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Excellent - I look forward to when laptop's are available.

I don't mind those that make use of Intel onboard graphics - they are not too bad for running 3D (ie Compiz) - I use a Macbook and those make use of Intel graphics and it runs Compiz perfectly smooth, no jerkiness whatsoever.

That might be ideal for those that want a cheaper laptop than those with Nvidia graphics? (plus it gives a longer battery life too).

PS on a side note, it's smooth since it's only 1280x800 res...not much pixels to push, but it's enough for Compiz, Defcon & Darwinia game etc

Finally - I would love it if one of those laptops also provided an onboard camera that works as I know Asus does provide webcams, but no idea if they work in Ubuntu - I operate a vlog at http://vlog.gwallgofi.com - since I'm deaf, so I prefer to sign - so having onboard camera allows me to record myself wherever I am and make use of videophone calls such as via Wengophone.

Hope some of my requests provide you with food for thoughts.

Cheers

JGJones
March 30th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Forgot to mention - although I use a Macbook at moment, it's not mine...yet! And I want another laptop anyway that's 100% Ubuntu and not dual boot between OSX/Ubuntu.

Cheers

adam.tropics
March 30th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Good to see. I am actually returning to the UK in January next year and so will no doubt be in touch! (especially if you ever manage a 17" laptop!!) BTW, I have been away from Europe for the last 5 years, when did 19" TFT's come down to 130 (pounds!) How times change!!

dalejefferson
March 30th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi JGJones,

Our first laptop will have Nvidia graphics (Geforce7300) but we will offer a Intel option later, the current cost price difference is £50 so I see more people wanting the Geforce7300 for £50.

What do you think?

Will come with a inbuilt webcam, which I expect to have full support.

Laptops will be the same as System76's Gazelle Performance and Gazelle Value
http://system76.com/index.php/cPath/1_10

Hi adam.tropics,

Great it will be good to hear from you, laptops will be 14inch to start with but we will expand our range if there is market for it.

TFTs are falling in price, I could sell a 19inch TFT Widescreen with 3 year warranty for £110, but I buy a more expensive one. :)

My pricing is very completive, I'm trying to increase the take up of Ubuntu not make a fortune! :KS

Thanks for your input, all feedback is welcome,

dalejefferson
April 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Excellent - I look forward to when laptop's are available.

Finally - I would love it if one of those laptops also provided an onboard camera that works as I know Asus does provide webcams, but no idea if they work in Ubuntu - I operate a vlog at http://vlog.gwallgofi.com - since I'm deaf, so I prefer to sign - so having onboard camera allows me to record myself wherever I am and make use of videophone calls such as via Wengophone.

The laptops are now available, and yes the Webcam works great!

http://efficientpc.co.uk/index.php?cPath=24

JGJones
April 5th, 2007, 10:49 AM
That is great news! I have now bookmarked your website and hope to purchase a laptop within the next 6-8 months, so I'll certainly keep an eye on your site - I'll happily buy from a business that does not do Windows pre-installed but does offer alternatives such as Ubuntu.

Interesting to hear about it being only a £50 difference between Intel and Nvidia graphics, I'll take the better graphics in that case!

yogibear214
April 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Great stuff!! Been looking for this for a while. I may be in touch soon...

JGJones
April 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Hello again.

Having looked at all laptops, while the specification of them are very nice, are there any plans to offer models with a higher resolution than 1280x800? Many thanks

dalejefferson
April 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
We will see how well these laptops work out and maybe in a few months expand out range.

The more we sell of a single line the cheaper it becomes so we do not want to spread our self's too thinly.
The desktop systems are selling great so we keep dropping the prices! :)

ImpelGD
April 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Wow - I'm glad I came across this thread! I'd just been to the system76 shop but saw they don't ship outside the US.

Dale: would you say your machines are suitable for this: Music, web and data server (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413019)

Any particular recommendation/advice?

dalejefferson
April 20th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Wow - I'm glad I came across this thread! I'd just been to the system76 shop but saw they don't ship outside the US.

Dale: would you say your machines are suitable for this: Music, web and data server (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=413019)

Any particular recommendation/advice?

Hi,

Sounds like a good setup, Any of our desktop systems would work well with this setup.
The Asus Pundit has only one hard disk but I could sort you out a 750GB hard disk or a NAS server if hard drive space was important..

Our 'gaming' system has space for 3 disk but is a bit bigger and a little bit noiser.

I can sort you out any spec just email me @ sales@efficientpc.co.uk

ImpelGD
April 21st, 2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks - email sent. :)

Christopher Chadwick 1985
April 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
This shop is great I have hoped to find a Shop in england that sell's Linux based PC's. are you planing to sell component's that support linux out of thebox? Last time I used linux most of the hardware I had didn't work so it woud be nice to be able to buy component's that work :)

dalejefferson
April 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
This shop is great I have hoped to find a Shop in england that sell's Linux based PC's. are you planing to sell component's that support linux out of thebox? Last time I used linux most of the hardware I had didn't work so it woud be nice to be able to buy component's that work :)

We currently sell Wireless cards and TV tuners.
(We are about to offer a better range of wireless cards)

What components would you like us to sell?

Feedback is always welcome.

April 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I just meant hardware that work's out the box with the minum of setup time so just more general hardware... That is the reason I didn't take up Linux first time around none of the hardware I had worked.

One thing I would like to see is you seling Boxed distor's of various types of linux and software bundels of software would be nice. Just what I would like to see is all.

dalejefferson
April 25th, 2007, 08:40 PM
I just meant hardware that work's out the box with the minum of setup time so just more general hardware... That is the reason I didn't take up Linux first time around none of the hardware I had worked.

One thing I would like to see is you seling Boxed distor's of various types of linux and software bundels of software would be nice. Just what I would like to see is all.

All our hardware works on a stock install of ubuntu, no compiling drivers no mods.

Not sure about selling boxed distos. Everyone has broadband nowadays don't they, and Ubuntu will send you their CD's for free. Its hard to compete with that.

JGJones
April 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Hmm well you could always sell Ubuntu on 24 carat gold-plated CD's then? Then you can compete ;)

Wardhog
April 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I see you've got MythTV systems. How do you go about EPG data for MythTV ? You'd have to cater for people who do and don't have internet connections, as well as people in different areas (countries?) receiving one of your systems.

How does it come out of the box? No EPG data retrieval? Instructions for setting it up in case the customer does have an internet connection?

dalejefferson
April 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I see you've got MythTV systems. How do you go about EPG data for MythTV ? You'd have to cater for people who do and don't have internet connections, as well as people in different areas (countries?) receiving one of your systems.

How does it come out of the box? No EPG data retrieval? Instructions for setting it up in case the customer does have an internet connection?

Hi Wardhog,

The EPG is sent in the TV signal and decoded by the Tv tuner. You get 7 days accurate up to date TV listing direct form the BBC, at no cost, and without a internet connection.

The system comes ready to go just tune in the channels!

April 28th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ok take your point about box distrobutions, How about some book's like Linux for dummies Oh and do you plan to accept Cash via post as a meathod of payment I don't use paypall or have a credit or debit card (yet) so that would be the only meathod of payment left for me considering you don't have a shop local to me.

dalejefferson
April 28th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ok take your point about box distrobutions, How about some book's like Linux for dummies Oh and do you plan to accept Cash via post as a meathod of payment I don't use paypall or have a credit or debit card (yet) so that would be the only meathod of payment left for me considering you don't have a shop local to me.

Books may be a good idea, the official Ubuntu book is a good read!

No Paypal, Credit, Debit, or Cheque book :confused: How do you pay for stuff?

Sending cash in the post is very bad idea, you can get a bankers draft or a postal order. (not sure how much that cost?)

Do you have a bank account? If so you can do a bank transfer direct to my bank. Quick safe and secure!

helliewm
May 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Your computers look excellent but I wanted a wide screen 17inch laptop. The only one in my price range (which is the same as your price range) was the DELL Inspiron 9400 with the ATI Radeon 1400 graphics card. I had one hell of a job with Feisty even the Live CD would not load. Reading the forums this is a common problem. If you had a wide screen I would have bought it.

Helen

godd4242
May 14th, 2007, 03:58 AM

Site is efficientpc.co.uk (http://efficientpc.co.uk)

Cheers

Wow nice site, (well designed etc)
Only thing design wise is the nature background with the computer graphics ontop.
A little noisy ya know?

Nice to see MythTV options though, definitely not something you see everywhere.

MythTV definetly deserves some kudos

dalejefferson
May 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Your computers look excellent but I wanted a wide screen 17inch laptop. The only one in my price range (which is the same as your price range) was the DELL Inspiron 9400 with the ATI Radeon 1400 graphics card. I had one hell of a job with Feisty even the Live CD would not load. Reading the forums this is a common problem. If you had a wide screen I would have bought it.

Helen

Hi Helen,

Our laptops are 14 inch Widescreen, I find 17inch laptops a little larger and bulky.

The Nvidia 7300 graphics on our laptops works great, you can even play games. :)

stanleyndeg
June 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for the welcome.

Hi Dale,

Quote:- I'm trying to increase the take up of Ubuntu not make a fortune! :KS

Good thoughts. So how do you feel about Kubuntu? Sorry but I do prefer KDE. Also have you had any experience of 64studio on your hardware, I've been eyeing up Anubis and if you've installed 64studio before that is what I would like on board, otherwise Kubuntu on half the disk to leave the other half for me to try out 64studio, realistic is it?

I have seen a mention in your posts of TV tuner. Is there any chance of a satellite tuner at some future time?

You know Anubis is beginning to look short of slots, tuner and wireless - bingo. And wireless I must have because I am connected to about four miles of overhead lightening attractor between me and the exchange

Many thanks stan

dalejefferson
June 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Hi everybody, thanks for the welcome.

Hi Dale,

Quote:- I'm trying to increase the take up of Ubuntu not make a fortune! :KS

Good thoughts. So how do you feel about Kubuntu? Sorry but I do prefer KDE. Also have you had any experience of 64studio on your hardware, I've been eyeing up Anubis and if you've installed 64studio before that is what I would like on board, otherwise Kubuntu on half the disk to leave the other half for me to try out 64studio, realistic is it?

I have seen a mention in your posts of TV tuner. Is there any chance of a satellite tuner at some future time?

You know Anubis is beginning to look short of slots, tuner and wireless - bingo. And wireless I must have because I am connected to about four miles of overhead lightening attractor between me and the exchange

Many thanks stan

Im downloading Ubuntu Studio to play around with, but as its based on Ubuntu feisty there should not be a issue.
I find KDE tooo complicated, options all over the place. :confused:
Kubuntu Feisty is the poor relation to Ubuntu, all new Ubuntu apps are GTK based. eg restricted driver manager and codec buddy.

I don't see the advantage of a satellite tuner you get the same channels but the hardware support is very bad for satellite cards. Are there any dual sat cards??
Its only a small portion of the UK that can no longer get digital through the aerial.

We are about to launch a bigger range of system on our new website with more configuration options, if you need more pci slots.

stanleyndeg
June 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Im downloading Ubuntu Studio to play around with, but as its based on Ubuntu feisty there should not be a issue.
I find KDE tooo complicated, options all over the place. :confused:
Kubuntu Feisty is the poor relation to Ubuntu, all new Ubuntu apps are GTK based. eg restricted driver manager and codec buddy.

I don't see the advantage of a satellite tuner you get the same channels but the hardware support is very bad for satellite cards. Are there any dual sat cards??
Its only a small portion of the UK that can no longer get digital through the aerial.

We are about to launch a bigger range of system on our new website with more configuration options, if you need more pci slots.

Dear Dale,

As a Linux newbie I can be persuaded to more purist thinking, I think perhaps my Windows heritage has me corrupted in some degree towards *options all over the place*. Maybe I should ditch the poor relation and familiarise myself with the GNOMEs of the Linux world.

Where I live satellite TV is the only option. I lived for years with no TV until I put up a dish, no -- not Sky. My location also means wifi is a sensible protection from the hazards of four miles of overhead lightning conductor between me and the telephone exchange.

My reasons for wanting a *studio* Linux is to run Rosegarden. The standard 2.6 ubuntu kernel has a latency that is too high. Ubuntu Studio, with a low latency kernel, seemed to be the answer but rumour has it that it is no longer supported. 64Studio which is Debian based and has a kernel patched for low latency now has a stable release, v 1.0.
The Windows answers to my needs were given by Cakewalk, Encore and Sibelius. I think Rosgarden should do it all in one.

I have had problems with dual boot on legacy machines and I think it is time to give Linux a fair trial on a medium spec machine all to itself. Do I imagine it or does Windows on a dual boot machine really go out of its way to clobber the whole setup? (No, I don't expect an answer to that!)

Many thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. Regards, Stan

dalejefferson
June 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Dear Dale,

As a Linux newbie I can be persuaded to more purist thinking, I think perhaps my Windows heritage has me corrupted in some degree towards *options all over the place*. Maybe I should ditch the poor relation and familiarise myself with the GNOMEs of the Linux world.

Where I live satellite TV is the only option. I lived for years with no TV until I put up a dish, no -- not Sky. My location also means wifi is a sensible protection from the hazards of four miles of overhead lightning conductor between me and the telephone exchange.

My reasons for wanting a *studio* Linux is to run Rosegarden. The standard 2.6 ubuntu kernel has a latency that is too high. Ubuntu Studio, with a low latency kernel, seemed to be the answer but rumour has it that it is no longer supported. 64Studio which is Debian based and has a kernel patched for low latency now has a stable release, v 1.0.
The Windows answers to my needs were given by Cakewalk, Encore and Sibelius. I think Rosgarden should do it all in one.

I have had problems with dual boot on legacy machines and I think it is time to give Linux a fair trial on a medium spec machine all to itself. Do I imagine it or does Windows on a dual boot machine really go out of its way to clobber the whole setup? (No, I don't expect an answer to that!)

Many thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. Regards, Stan

64Studio not Ubuntu studio, sorry I miss read.
Since you are posing on a Ubuntu forum I assumed you where talking about Ubuntu Studio.

Whats the difference?

I've tested Ubuntu studio and It works how I would expect. (don't really know anything about audio/ video editing)

Your are a minority in the UK in requiring Sat cards.
You must live in the highlands
For me to do the development work on a mythtv system with a Sat card it would be very expensive.
I don't have a dish to test for a start.
I can't imagine selling more than 5 a year.
Maybe at £2000 a system it would be worth while ;)

Sky+ is hard to beat, dual Sat tuners full tv guide, cheap setup price etc..

Cold turkey is the best way to get into Linux, give it 2 weeks and you will be at home.
Since you can't mod windows you end up making Linux windows if you swap between. And thats a shame.
Gnome is a great desktop :KS

keithpeter
June 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well, my 'anubis' efficient pc is sitting in the corner being, well, efficent.

There is 895Mb of ram for applications since the integrated graphics reserve 128Mb. In the default Gnome/Ubuntu desktop, the 'blingy' stuff with bendy windows all works (but being a bit of an old fart, I installed xubuntu-desktop and reloaded my 'aqualemon' theme so it looks familiar). Installed Inkscape, scribus and kile and it is beginning to feel like home. But quieter. And a lot smaller than the old P4.

I'm resisting the tempation to do a clean Xubuntu install and test Dale's assertion that no special drivers are needed because the whole point of buying this thing pre-installed was to stop wasting time fiddling and do work instead. I'm going to waste time installing Stellarium and Celestia now as they should benefit from the better graphics.

Red Badger
July 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Dale

I bought an Anubis PC last week, and I'm well impressed. It's efficient, quiet & sleek looking. You even managed to deliver in 8 days despite the Yorkshire floods!
Wishing you all the best for the future.

frobroj
August 4th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Dale,

I noticed that your Anubis Laptop is an Asus S96s model. The College I work for purchased me the exact box but I am having a heck of a time with the drivers. I have gotten just about everything working accept for the intel wireless. Whats interesting is the wireless shows as unknown intel network device. I am assuming that I am missing some chipset drivers that would enable the system to recognize the card.
I have a forum post at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3132859#post3132859
which has more details.
If you know of any gotchas or drivers I might need. I would really appreciate the help.
Thanks Dale!

Jeff M

peachy
August 10th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I've been looking at the Pundits recently.

Are you likely to stock the P2 soon? I *think* this has HD out, I haven't looked into compatibility.

Do you ship to Switzerland? (without V.A.T ;-))

Great startup anyhow, best of luck

frobroj
August 10th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Just a heads up. Gutsy has full support for the Intel 4965 ABGN card on my S96s. It works like a charm... jm

almalaci
September 27th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone had any luck contacting them via email or is there any other way of contact? I'm not getting any replies to my email, probably spam filter!
Thanks