PDA

View Full Version : Legal ogg/mp3 site?

ubonetu
January 10th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Good Evening, fellow christians!

I thought someone may have found a legal download site for music. Everything seems to be either unauthorized or pc/mac only. Even before my re-re-re-conversion I didn't care to dup songs illegally, it's even more important to me now.

God bless,

Ward William Bones

aysiu
January 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Rhapsody?

wert613
January 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
well for live music that IS legal you could try www.archive.org
they also have old time radio and christian radio streams...

ubonetu
January 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks, you two. I checked out Rhapsody already and you can't pull down tracks to my NexBlack player (which plays .ogg files standard). I would use mp3 files if they were puchased but now that I think about it, that would be iffy ethically as well being that I don't have .mp3 playing capabilities on my desktop machine. I'll try the other site tonight, thanks.

I may have to start recording my own music just to have something to listen to that isn't weird and trite (secular music).

Ultimate blessings ;-) !

Seriously, many,

Ward William Bones

SendDerek
January 10th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Um, I'm not sure if this will help or not, but there is this place called allofmp3.com, and it's just insanely cheap. $0.03 per megabyte of music downloaded. It's all legal (so far). The courts are really trying to crack down on it, but I'm pretty sure it's still alive and legal. Basically, it's a server in Russia that hosts all of these cd's and such, so Russia's mp3 downloading services are a bit different than the USA, which makes it okay in the US. It's all a bit fuzzy for me, and I've been trying to keep up with the story on it, but it's difficult.

The cool thing is, when my friend was using it, he said that you can download the entire album in any format you wanted (.mp3 or .ogg) or you could download just individual songs. You pay $10 up front, and then you get to go shopping. You refill your account balance whenever you want.

Just a suggestion to look into.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllOfMP3.com (general info)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AllOfMP3.com_legality#Legality_in_the_United_State s (legality info)

ubonetu
January 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
thanks!

rocknrolf77
January 11th, 2007, 03:45 PM
www.jamendo.com Free music directly from the artists. You also have the option to donate money to the bands you like.

Sef
January 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
There are many sites where you may legally download music from. Try googling free music.

shane2peru
January 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM
While we are on this topic, what is the legality of actually playing MP3 audio files on the Ubuntu Desktop? I understand this may be a contraversial topic, and certainly don't want to start a debate, but MP3 is the standard for Music. I was surprised to hear of a portable player that does play ogg. I got a new stereo for Christmas and it plays mp3 format on a CD. I also have other places that I need to use mp3, and mostly to be compatible with most Windows 'non-tech' users you really need to have and use mp3. So is playing mp3 technically illegal on an Ubuntu box according to USA regulations? I understand it can't be distributed by mass by Ubuntu. I have read a few other threads on this but since it came up in this post I thought I would ask if anyone could give me some good info on this to read. Thanks.

Shane

Darrious
January 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I've heard that in other countries, it is illegal to have certain codecs. In the U.S. I think that you can't have codecs included with a free distro. But you can add them in later. Take Linspire for example. They include codecs in their distro, but it costs 50$ in order to get it because you pay for the codecs already installed on thier.

shane2peru
January 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I've heard that in other countries, it is illegal to have certain codecs. In the U.S. I think that you can't have codecs included with a free distro. But you can add them in later. Take Linspire for example. They include codecs in their distro, but it costs 50$ in order to get it because you pay for the codecs already installed on thier.

That was the understanding that I have of it too. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly, but I didn't word it as nicely as you did. :-D

Shane