PDA

View Full Version : Spreading the word...

xmastree
May 11th, 2005, 09:43 AM
So, a friend came into the cafe yeaterday, and asked me if I have heard of something called 'Open Office'...

Sure, I use it here, why? He want's a word processor program.
I remembered abiword, onthe ubuntu disc, so I gave him a copy. OO is also on there, but Abi is lighter and loads much faster (although that particular version is too crash-happy).

Anyway, next day his computer wasn't working at all well, so he brought it in, along with those CDs I gave him.
Since he just wants to use it for word processing I suggested trying linux...

No surprise he's never heard of it, but I persuaded him to give it a shot. :grin:

Let's see if he likes it.

KiwiNZ
May 11th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Good work , keep pushing it out there:)

GarySaved
May 11th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I am finding Open Office is a main selling point.

People are simply tired of paying huge amounts of money to upgrade to a good package.

Especially when they see a free alternative.

Gary

DJ_Max
May 11th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I am finding Open Office is a main selling point.

People are simply tired of paying huge amounts of money to upgrade to a good package.

Especially when they see a free alternative.

Gary
Also, since most people only need a basic word processor. Most people never use all the features the paid ones have.

TravisNewman
May 11th, 2005, 10:01 PM
xmastree-- never heard of Ubuntu until cds magically appear, and now he's spreading it! Rock on.

poofyhairguy
May 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Thats awesome!

The momentum is building quickly.

xmastree
May 13th, 2005, 09:20 AM
xmastree-- never heard of Ubuntu until cds magically appear, and now he's spreading it! Rock on
\\:D/
^^^ well, that's meant to ba a dancing smiley...

Well, I like to do my part... I've been using Mandrake on and off, but only recommended it to one guy, as it wasn't really ready for non techies. This guy wasn't a techie either, but I just did it to shut him up when he prouldly showed me his XP system, and proclaimed "Can't get more up to date than that!"

:roll:

I've also installed Abiword here, as an alternative to OO as it loads much faster, but the version on my wart CDs is too unreliable[1]. However, I d/l the latest one and it seems better.

[1] It will crash if you Ctrl-A and try to change the font. It doesn't do this if you select all with the mouse, only if you use Ctrl-A