PDA

View Full Version : GWT (GOOGLE WEB TOOLKIT) runtime error

ekravche
January 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
After downloading gwt-linux-1.2.22 and following the instructions of how to use this framework here at http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/gettingstarted.html [Creating an Application from Scratch (with Eclipse) section] I'm getting the following error when running it through eclipse.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.70)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Installation problem detected, please reinstall GWT
at com.google.gwt.util.tools.Utility.computeInstallat ionPath(Utility.java:310)
at com.google.gwt.util.tools.Utility.getInstallPath(U tility.java:214)
at com.google.gwt.util.tools.ToolBase.<clinit>(ToolBase.java:276)
...1 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Cannot determine installation directory; apparently not running from a jar
at com.google.gwt.util.tools.Utility.computeInstallat ionPath(Utility.java:294)
...4 more

I think it has something to do with the fact that I have java 5 running on my machine and this framework requires java 1.4.

Any thoughts?

Best regards.

ekravche
January 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Changing the project's jre from gnu 1.42 to sun's 1.5 did the trick!

kickabear
August 30th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Can you tell me where you made the change which fixed your problem? I'm having the same trouble with one of the sample applications.

Thanks!

viktor.ilijasic
September 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I use Eclipse 3.2.2 with Aptana 0.2.9.16696.

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-6-sun

That did it for me.

But there is one more step to do in Eclipse for the thing to work...

This version of eclipse is configured to use gcj Java. You need to configure it to be aware of SUN Java and to ise it instead of gcj.

Import GWT project in Eclipse: File -> Import..., General -> Existing Projects into Workspace, "Next >", "Browse", select directory, "Finish".

Go to Run -> Debug..., then choose Java Application -> your_project_name, click on "JRE" tab, select "Alternate JRE", click on "Installed JREs...", "Add...", type /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun in JRE home directory" and click OK button. OK again. Make sure that java-6-sun-1.6 is selected as an Alternate JRE. Then click Debug button in the bottom of the dialog, and it should work.

When I write it like this, it seems more complicated than it really is. :)

Actually, it's a quite intuitive procedure.

Viktor

edit:

I still get

TimerThread.run() line: 468
Source not found.

when I run the project. It runs normal in GWT debugger, but eclipse suspends it some seconds after starting debug.

Anyone have any idea what sources to add to source path? Or any other way to solve this?

viktor.ilijasic
September 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ok, problem solved...

instead of sun-java6-* use either j2re1.5 or sun-java5-*. I'm not certain which provided java-1.5, but when you set

sudo update-java-alternatives -s java-1.5.0-sun

gwt works and gives no error. Neither in Eclipse, nor when run in shell.

To see which java flavors you have installed use

update-java-alternatives -l

Viktor