PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Legal Team

brandoncolorado
January 9th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Hey everyone!

I am not sure where else to post about this, so I will ask here. I have read through the employment page, and I have emailed a few times. I am a law student, and I would love to get involved with the Ubuntu project. I am somewhat tech saavy, but of course I do not have any of the training required to be a programmer or engineer. Does Canonical or Ubuntu have a legal team that would offer internships?

bonzodog
January 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
I believe (though i'm not 100% sure about this) that Mark Shuttleworth has a solicitors he consults in London should any legal problems arise. But, you see, he did something that some people would say is dodgy, but legal - He based Canonical on The Isle Of Man, which is a funny place when it comes to international law, as it basically has the absolute right to ignore the rest of the worlds legal opinions. It has it's own government,called the Tynewald, but is not an independent country.It is a Crown Dependency. It is not part of the EU. Its ruler is effectively Queen Elizabeth II, as she holds the title of Lord Of Mann.

More Information on where Canonical are based:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Isle_Of_Man

Brunellus
January 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
the Free Software Foundation and the Electronic Frontier Foundation are two places you might consider looking. Ubuntu's fight is Free Software's fight.

MrHorus
January 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I am a law student, and I would love to get involved with the Ubuntu project.

The Free Software Foundation is always looking for people to help with compliance and legal questions.

Check out their site - there is a short quiz that tests your knowledge of the GPL although I warn you, it's quite tricky :)

brandoncolorado
January 11th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Does the Free Software Foundation work with the Electronic Frontier Foundation? I found a legal internship they offer.

Brunellus
January 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Does the Free Software Foundation work with the Electronic Frontier Foundation? I found a legal internship they offer.
FSF and EFF tend to work together on their own common goals.

FSF seems to have much more rigid "free software" requirements on its job listings (no surprise, heh.). Rigid to the point of (on at least one listing I saw) requiring a good knowledge of GNU EMACS. Vim users need not apply, eh?

mips
January 11th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Maybe you can start with this, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=322095

Dunno if any of your lecturers/professors are clued up on the first amendment ?