PDA

View Full Version : Only Under 25 can hear this

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hello i have found a sound that only under 25 can hear it.
It is played at 14-20 hertz go to go to this link (http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3) and see if you can hear it

teaker1s
January 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM
28 can hear it;)

~LoKe
January 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Old news, plus, there are often exceptions. Plenty of older people can hear this sound.

wondering_jew
January 9th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Eh im 24 and I don't really hear it so much as I feel it... course I go to concerts on a regularlish basis

The Darkness
January 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM
41 and I can hear it.
Almost the same pitch as when my wife gets going.....
LOL

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 02:45 AM
yeh well diferent people can hear it me and my bro can hear it and mum cant

marcus2004
January 9th, 2007, 04:32 AM
There is no sound........
Seriously I am 32 and I can hear it. Although I have been told I have the mind of a child. :D

Spano
January 9th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Had to put my head next to the speaker, but this 44 year old can hear it, barely.

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 05:38 AM
My mum found wearing headphones helped

meng
January 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
32, can hear. Perhaps this is a joke?

~LoKe
January 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
32, can hear. Perhaps this is a joke?

No, not a joke. Some people really can't hear it.

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM
no just varryies person to person

T313C0mun1s7
January 9th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Ouch, Yea - I can hear it. I am 36 and work in a noisy environment (manufacturing plant) without earplugs all the time. Are you sure you have the frequency right? It sounded pretty high pitched to be 14-20 hertz. I might believe 14-20 kHz maybe. Not quite as high pitched as the noise the old tube in my TV makes.

hscottyh
January 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM
I just turned 40 and I can't here it at all.

henriquemaia
January 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM
33, and I can hear it.

Some can hear it, but maybe it's not really related to age but more to loud sound exposure.

T313C0mun1s7
January 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Some can hear it, but maybe it's not really related to age but more to loud sound exposure.

If that was the case I shouldn't be able to hear it at all. Sound exposure hearing loss normally starts with loss at higher frequencies. So if the original post is right about the frequency of the sound that should not affect it. Age related hearing loss however starts at lower frequencies. So again if the original post is correct it would be logical to state that it is age related.

As I stated earlier the noise I heard was toward the high end of the audio spectrum not the low end, this is why I think it may be more like 14-20 kHz rather than 14-20 Hz. So a noisy work environment like mine should have an effect (although in my case it did not seem to).

Of those who heard it, can you confirm what you heard was high pitched or low pitched - maybe I did not hear it correctly.

DoktorSeven
January 9th, 2007, 06:21 AM
36 and hear it fine. I've always been able to hear sounds like that; my ears are sensitive.

henriquemaia
January 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Of those who heard it, can you confirm what you heard was high pitched or low pitched - maybe I did not hear it correctly.

I heard a high pitched sound.

T313C0mun1s7
January 9th, 2007, 06:42 AM
If that was the case I shouldn't be able to hear it at all. Sound exposure hearing loss normally starts with loss at higher frequencies. So if the original post is right about the frequency of the sound that should not affect it. Age related hearing loss however starts at lower frequencies. So again if the original post is correct it would be logical to state that it is age related.

As I stated earlier the noise I heard was toward the high end of the audio spectrum not the low end, this is why I think it may be more like 14-20 kHz rather than 14-20 Hz. So a noisy work environment like mine should have an effect (although in my case it did not seem to).

I found the original story (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5434687)

As I guessed and as stated in the story it is a high pitched sound. As I stated earlier, a high pitched sound would be contrary to age caused hearing loss preventing you from hearing it. This would be the reason this story was debunked almost as soon as it came out. The story was dated May 26, 2006 - and I remember hearing on the radio when it was debunked in late May. Seems the seller of the "Mosquito" device was just out to make money, and the teens found out the hard way as they were consistently getting caught by teachers and parents.

DarkN00b
January 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I'm 35 and could not hear it. I have tinnitus and cannot distinguish sounds of 17 Khz and above so I assume this sound is 17Khz+.

Atomic Dog
January 9th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Geez! I cranked up the volume expecting something faint and it made my ears bleed. I have the same issue with those sonic bird-go-away machines. They hurt my ears too. My hearing test for a job showed I have remarkable hearing at the high freq range. My hearing sucks around my wife's voice frequency though. Weird huh?

I'm 38.

ps. I have tinnitus too. This was of a similar frequency but actually higher in pitch. I had the volume way up, not my ears are ringing loudly. Do not crank up the volume way up without a low volume test first!

Phatfiddler
January 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I would like to see the source code for that sound, since there may be subliminal messages encoded inside:)

Johnsie
January 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I'm 25 next week and I couldnt hear it

kvonb
January 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I'm 35 and could not hear it. I have tinnitus and cannot distinguish sounds of 17 Khz and above so I assume this sound is 17Khz+.

Man I feel sorry for you, that is the ONE thing that I have feared my whole life. I could handle being deaf better than tinitus! I LOVE silence :mrgreen:.

And yes I'm over 40 and that damn tone hurts! High pitched ringing, sounds a bit like a monitor that has had it! Sort of makes my back teeth feel queer!

The funny thing is that I can't hear a definite start or finish to it, but at the 1 second mark it hits me!

It annoys my wife though so I think I'll keep it on hand :mrgreen:.

~LoKe
January 9th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I believe I have tinnitus as well, and I could hear it.

kvonb
January 9th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I would like to see the source code for that sound, since there may be subliminal messages encoded inside:)

Wait.......I'm getting an overwhelming urge to delete Linux and install Windows! Yes, I see the light now, must install Windows, MUST INSTALL WINDOWS, Linux is evil, EVIL :mrgreen:.

DarkN00b
January 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I believe I have tinnitus as well, and I could hear it.

There's no 'believe' about it for me. :)

I hear a constant, neverending ringing in my ears. People who live or work with me just have to get used to hearing me say, "what?" or "huh?" regularly. It can be peaceful though as well. Sometimes I go to a quiet place, sit down and concentrate on the sound. Its a very effective way to get some meditation in. The tonal quality of the pseudo sound in my head slowly changes like the wax shapes in a lava lamp - always the same tone but with subtle changes I can't quite describe. I don't let it bother me; its just a part of my world.

23meg
January 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Whether you can hear or not also depends a lot on the capabilities of your speakers; most consumer speakers won't play frequencies at the margins of the hearing spectrum properly, or at all. If the speakers don't produce the sound in the first place, there's no chance you can hear it.

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
woops yeah khz not hz

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Wait.......I'm getting an overwhelming urge to delete Linux and install Windows! Yes, I see the light now, must install Windows, MUST INSTALL WINDOWS, Linux is evil, EVIL :mrgreen:.

Wow that must me powerfull lol

matthew
January 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
36 and I heard it very clearly even at low volumes...but then I can hear if the tv (without anything playing, volume off) or an incandescent light bulb is on in the next room. To quote Monk, "It's a blessing, and a curse."

Johan!
January 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
36 and I heard it very clearly even at low volumes...but then I can hear if the tv (without anything playing, volume off) or an incandescent light bulb is on in the next room. To quote Monk, "It's a blessing, and a curse."

26, and I can hear that too :)

Titus A Duxass
January 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Not a sausage!
Which is hardly surprising, I have worked on or near to figther/bombers all my life and my hearing is shagged at 45.

STREETURCHINE
January 9th, 2007, 10:33 AM
nope tone deaf .
47 here ,a lifetime as a chef under those big noisy exhaust fans took care of my hearing.ay what ay..:D

aktiwers
January 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM
It sounded just like my Tinitus.. just a little higher ;)

xyz
January 9th, 2007, 11:01 AM
No no I CAN hear it...but my speakers can't!!lol

iPower
January 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
i can hear it

steven8
January 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
41 - Didn't hear a thing.

Bezmotivnik
January 9th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm skeptical. It doesn't sound that high to me and I wonder if I'm hearing a .5 harmonic, say something around 7kHz.

The dinky speakers in this notebook shouldn't even be able to reproduce anything above 12kHz or so. I'm deaf in one ear, have tinnitus and reduced hearing in my good ear, am over twice the upper age limit and it was VERY, painfully, audible. The cat hated it, too, I'll have you know. [-(

beercz
January 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm 45 and I can hear it.

M_the_C
January 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM
20 and heard it.

Would speakers affect who could hear it?

How many people here have high quiality speakers instead of the normal cheapo rubbish?

Not many I'm guessing.

23meg
January 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Would speakers affect who could hear it?http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1987756&postcount=28
How many people here have high quiality speakers instead of the normal cheapo rubbish?I have Event TR8 monitors.

Bezmotivnik
January 9th, 2007, 02:25 PM
How many people here have high quiality speakers instead of the normal cheapo rubbish?

As I said, I'm hearing it very loud on notebook speakers that should not be able to reproduce tones of the alleged frequency.

Draw your own conclusions.

mips
January 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Absolute rubbish statement. Way over 25 and I hear it just fine.

bonzodog
January 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I Heard about this before on the radio - i can hear it clearly with the volume turned up slightly. I am 33.

Lord Illidan
January 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I am 17 and mildly deaf, especially in the higher frequencies, thanks to an ear infection when I was 5 years olfd...couldn't hear anything, except when I put on the headphones and put the volume fully up, I could hear a faint buzz. I then tried it on my sister, and she grimaced at the sound.

zami
January 9th, 2007, 04:23 PM
"Totem could not play 'file...... "

So nope, couldn't hear a damn thing!

-zami

wersdaluv
January 9th, 2007, 04:59 PM
17-year-old can't hear it. VLC can't play the file. The screen is all black and in the middle, there's a text that says, "(no video)"

Same thing happens to firefox in other audio streams. What can I do with this?

tom717
January 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I am 17 and I can't hear it. I wasn't expecting to though as a couple of years ago in school when learning about ultrasound, I found I couldn't hear above 15KHz. The rest of the class (but not the teacher) could hear up to 20

Valinski
January 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The main reason a some people may not be able to hear it is there speaker system. Most speakers especially cheap ones will no generate frequencies below 20HZ (A lot i've looked at wont generate anything convincing below 35Hz) Plus you would need a big speaker to generate a wave that long. Also as people get older and are on average subjected to more loud noises over time, the hearing drops of at both ends (gets Damaged) of the frequency spectrum (Mainly high frequecies first). This is why your grandad may have the treble turned up on his stereo.

xpod
January 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
36 and can hear it just fine

41 and I can hear it.
LOL

You too eh:D
With 4 daughters as well i can get surround sound ..lol

Medieval_Creations
January 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM
29 and can hear it loud & clear.

flash2lightning
January 9th, 2007, 06:25 PM
man, this sound isn't as bad as my tv set, but that hurt! im 15 and have gone to a grand total of one concert in my life, which i came back from almost puking at my much my head hurt, soo, i guess im 'lucky'

Lucho
January 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Well, I just turned 37, and it works on my ears. 'Course, I recently found out
while testing some audio equipment that my hearing goes at least until 18.6 KHz,
which may well explain why MP3s drive me up the wall; my ears can spot the
lowpass filter nearly everytime.

RaZoR-x11
January 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Lol, i can't believe it i can hear once again,Ty http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

mips
January 9th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Lol, i can't believe it i can hear once again

Any affiliation to the "Razor 1911" ?

linuxeiro
January 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm 31 and I can heart it without any effort.

jbayone
January 10th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Just turned 25 and didn't want to discourage my ears by confirming that I've lost hearing, so I didn't listen

macogw
January 10th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Still a lower frequency than old people's hearing aids. Those things are SO LOUD in church! No wonder they can't hear with that darned thing buzzing all the time.

zenwhen
January 10th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Ouch.

CameronCalver
January 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Where is your respect for elderly lol.
Nah only joking they do get annoying

Atomic Dog
January 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM
It sounded just like my Tinitus.. just a little higher ;)

Yea strange. It was very clearly close to the frequency, but over it enough.

The best way to describe tinitus, to those that don't know, is a combination of high pitch tones like the on in this thread with a little hiss mixed in for good measure, screaming in your ears endlessly.

If I drink alcohol, spend time in a loud place or ride my motorcycle it really gets going. I'll never know what silence is because I always hear the screech. I've had it for 20 years so it isn't much of a pain anymore.

kvonb
January 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Yea strange. It was very clearly close to the frequency, but over it enough.

The best way to describe tinitus, to those that don't know, is a combination of high pitch tones like the on in this thread with a little hiss mixed in for good measure, screaming in your ears endlessly.

If I drink alcohol, spend time in a loud place or ride my motorcycle it really gets going. I'll never know what silence is because I always hear the screech. I've had it for 20 years so it isn't much of a pain anymore.

I read a very interesting "home science" article a few years ago, can't remember where though.

It was concerned with hearing and how it works, apparently the human ear emits a tone, the reason being that to hear any sound at a discernable volume, it has to be amplified, and by hitting a soundwave with another soundwave of a fixed frequency, it amplifies it (kind of like some external sounds are louder when you have headphones on with no sound playing, especially low frequency sounds, well they are for me :)).

I can't remember what the frequency is but I think it was extremely low, in the 20 hz range (NOT khz).

One experiment they gave was to get 2 small round tins (from memory a bit bigger than your outer ear) and pack them tightly with "stirring straws", they are a thick walled plastic straw for stirring drinks or something. They are an American thing so I've not been able to try it.

But you put these tins, one over each ear tightly, wait for a few minutes, maybe upto an hour, and it does something very strange to your senses! Sorry, again can't remember exactly what but I'm certain that it's not dangerous. Apparently it takes a few hours for your hearing to return to normal afterwards!

I was just wondering if this would help ease the effects of Tinitus, as I believe that Tinitus is the result of these transmitted sound waves bouncing straight back into the ear, rather than getting out. I realise that the ringing may be perceived as high pitched and that 20hz is no way near high pitched, however the brain is listening for a response to the low frequency but can't hear it (blocks it out on purpose) and interprets these sounds in it's own way, hence the perception of a high pitch.

This goes along the lines that when you put a sea shell upto your ear, you can hear "the sea". You can't hear the sea, just the reflection of the sound that your ear is putting out!

When I cover my ears, or put in those really good earplugs, I can hear a very quiet high frequency tone, which I believe is a very mild form of tinitus! It get's worse when I have a "head cold", ie blocked nose etc'.

Just a few thoughts, regards, Kev :)

thisllub
January 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I am 46 and I can hear it fine - if I turn it up.

The whole point that everyone misses is that the older you get the more your hf decreases.

Try this instead.
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Atomic Dog
January 12th, 2007, 08:59 AM

The whole point that everyone misses is that the older you get the more your hf decreases.

Try this instead.

That's a good page. Now I can see that I really am deaf! My tinnitus rings at almost exactly 12Khz. Now I know.

zgornel
January 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
It is played at 14-20 hertz go to go to this link (http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3) and see if you can hear it
That is NOT 14-20 Hz. I tested my hearing (using an antenna ;) ) years ago at school and it did not pass the 18Khz limit. That should be a 16-17 Khz sound.

jeremy
January 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I'm 49 and hear it perfectly.

Enverex
January 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, I wondered what the constant high pitched tone in my ears was, so apparently I have tinnitus. I thought only old people had that? I remember having it for at least a good few years (I'm 21 now) and I don't go to "raves" or loud clubs.

Blondie
January 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM
32 and can hear it. Tested it on a 51 year old who couldn't hear it so at least in this case it's not just the speakers capabilities.

Enverex
January 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Lots of cheap computer speakers only have a frequency reponse range from like 200Hz to 14000Hz so I wouldn't be supprised if most people were hearing it when in reality they wouldn't simply because of it being artificially lowered by their speakers so it could actually play something (same as with bass below 200Hz).

EdThaSlayer
January 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
17, only can hear a soft "mmmmmm". Is there supposed to be some music or something? This sound does hurt my ears though...

blackened
January 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
This might be handy. As soon as I started the sound both of my dogs ran to the other side of the room. It is rather painful and annoying.

NESFreak
January 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM
speakers don't support it. I can hear it with my sennheiser headphone.

NESFreak

OffHand
January 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm 28 and have been dj-ing and partying for 12 years and I can still here it.
I'm not too sure if this test is correct.

Enverex
January 12th, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's not a perfect test. Back during A-Level Electronics at school the lecturer brought out a frequency generator device and basically showed us from 50hz or so all the way up to 22KHz. The lecturer was the first to not be able to hear as he went up the scale and then different people dropped out at different points. It just depends on the person really, but in general older people can't hear higher frequencies. But peoples hearing degenerates at slower speeds than others and others had a higher top value to decrease from in the first place.

stuh84
January 13th, 2007, 03:32 AM
I could hear it no problem. I'm listening on Beyerdynamic DT100's so thats part in cause for how I could hear it, plus my hearing is incredibly sensitive (which is good news, given I want a career in audio......)

BuffaloX
May 28th, 2007, 03:05 AM
44 Didn't hear a thing, but I have lousy speakers.
Just to make sure, there was something there, I loaded it with Audacious.

According to Audacious spectrum analysis it's:
15 Khz at a reasonably high level. ( -15 db )

Thanx Ubuntu Studio. :popcorn:

yabbadabbadont
May 28th, 2007, 03:30 AM
I'm of a similar age and could hear it fine in my Koss headphones. I tested each ear seperately and found that it was louder in my left than my right. Which make sense as my dad and I cut firewood all the time when I was a kid and my right ear was almost always towards the saw. (Hearing protection might have been a good idea... oh well)

Sunflower1970
May 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM
36 here and heard it loud and clear. I have crappy speakers too. Hubby is 42 and couldn't hear it...I always thought his hearing was better than mine, too.

BTW. That was a very annoying sound... (lol)

jrusso2
May 28th, 2007, 03:54 AM
I am 51, drove loud race cars for ten years and went to heavy metal concerts in the 70's and 80's and I can hear it even with these cheap speakers.

Too bad. I was going to blast it out my wndow to get rid of the kids that hang out in my yard. I guess thats not good if I can hear it.

ryanVickers
May 28th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Oh, this is not 14-20 hz, that would be super low! it's probably about 20,000hz - the top most people can hear.

Polygon
May 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
it wasnt really sound, it was like a light humming noise. I could tell there was something there as i heard it start up, but then after it got going i couldent really distinguish it from anything.

Adamant1988
May 28th, 2007, 05:34 AM
41 and I can hear it.
LOL

Then I bet you wish the title were a true statement ;)

Nikron
May 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Damn that was loud, and I'm deaf..

slimdog360
May 28th, 2007, 07:35 AM
when I went for the medical for my job I had to do a hearing test. I sat in a confined booth with a set of headphones on and a little clicker. Obviously I was to click the clicker when ever I heard a tone. The thing was is that when the headphones weren't emitting a tone they made a very low buzzing noise, it was probably exaggerated because of the sound proof booth. So I cheated and only pressed the clicker when I couldn't hear the buzzing noise.
About half way through I was getting paranoid that it was a set up and that they were testing me to see if I would cheat or not, this stuffed me up a little because I didn't know if I should keep pressing the button or not. It took me a little time to bring myself around and listen to reason that such a thing was ridiculous. When the test was finished the lady said I had near-superhuman hearing and that I had only missed one of the tones (which was repeated at which time I got it right).

Pugwash
May 28th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Damn that was loud, and I'm deaf..

lol, same here. You need a warning for that thing.

WalmartSniperLX
May 28th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Dang now I know how bad my 'friend' screwed up my ear. He slapped me as hard as he could (trying to be a Bam Margera wanna-be) and missed my face and hit my hear with an open palm. I went deaf for the day and slowely have been recovering. It's been 3 years and naturally, like all people, I adapted to it so I haven't really noticed any difference in my hearing until now.

I hear it loud and clear on my left, but very very faint (almost nothing) on the injured-right.

Btw Im 18.

lukew
May 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
41 and I can hear it.
LOL

Thats strange; i am 28 and i can hear this but don't seem to hear the wife. ;)

xpod
May 28th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Thats strange; i am 28 and i can hear this but don't seem to hear the wife.

Thats called "adapting";)

seshomaru samma
May 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
can hear it

Footissimo
May 28th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Also 35..and also hearing it..despite lots of hearing loss over the higher ranges!

Sorry - GTG, need to go and buy 10 copies of Windows Vista Ultimate and pretend to be a cow outside my front door

amphet
May 28th, 2007, 01:40 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAH jesus, it feels like someone is ******* fire in my ears.

kelean
May 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
49 and I can hear it if i turn the sound up and really listen for it. It does sound a lot like the constant buzzing i hear all of the time. And who says that working in a factory and loud music when you are young will hurt your hearing LOL.

%hMa@?b<C
May 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
16 can hear it... I dont like it, much too high pitched.

kadane|R|
June 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
ahhhh.... 24 and hearing it. I had to turn down the volume, this thing is like a high rpm driller inside your brain...

jgrabham
June 7th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I have one on my phone, it is my text tone, when I get texted at school everyone goes whats that? Then the teacher - whats what?

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM
20 and can hear it. Sounds exactly the same as after a few hours clubbing...

JC_510
June 7th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Geez! I cranked up the volume expecting something faint and it made my ears bleed. I have the same issue with those sonic bird-go-away machines. They hurt my ears too. My hearing test for a job showed I have remarkable hearing at the high freq range. My hearing sucks around my wife's voice frequency though. Weird huh?

I'm 38.

ps. I have tinnitus too. This was of a similar frequency but actually higher in pitch. I had the volume way up, not my ears are ringing loudly. Do not crank up the volume way up without a low volume test first!

I'm 17 and can only hear it fairly quietly, even when the volume was cranked up to the highest. But a 40+ year old heard it on highest volume a couple of minutes ago and hes been complaining about how his ears are hurting ever since!

Just shows - doesn't matter what age you are - some hear it, some don't

Weird

FuturePilot
June 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Ahhhh! That hurts my ears:p

Kuoi
June 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
37 and hear it loud and clear.
I thought I was becoming deaf , but I have hope now ;-)

My son has a ringtone on his gsm wich I can't hear , and he does , but don't know the frequency of it.

Kuoi

steeleyuk
June 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I thought I was becoming deaf , but I have hope now

Are you one of those that wishes to be forever young? :p

bobbocanfly
June 7th, 2007, 07:27 PM
14 can hear it!

mech7
June 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
arrggg what th hell is that sound is frikking annoying ;)

meman63
June 7th, 2007, 07:38 PM
44 and hear it fine.

Maybe since I am a musician helps.Almost seems it would hurt,because of all the loud music.

Anyway,
Meman63

BatsotO
June 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
eh.. There also sound that only about 8 month old infant can hear, but no verbal confirmation from any 8 old infant can be made nor any older infant remember what they hear. Also many regardless age have claim that they hearing sound no body else hears, mostly claims it was God speaking to them, but they only scientific conclusion can be made was that they are not atheist.

mgmiller
June 7th, 2007, 09:39 PM
OK, let me blow this out of the water for you.
This is a high pitched sound 14k cycles or a bit more.
I have no problem hearing it on my Klipsch 2.0 speakers with the volume set to the normal level. I am 56 years old. I even have a little mild tinnitus and still had no trouble hearing it. :popcorn:

As some of the previous posters mentioned, the quality of your speakers may have more to do with hearing this, than your age.

I did need to use the media player connectivity plugin for firefox with it set to use gmplayer for mp3 playback. If left on its default settings of totem, the screen loads and then stops without playing the sound.

Whee! This is fun...

southernman
June 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM
42 and hear it... :P

forrestcupp
June 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I have no problem hearing it on my Klipsch 2.0 speakers with the volume set to the normal level. I am 56 years old. I even have a little mild tinnitus and still had no trouble hearing it. :popcorn:

As some of the previous posters mentioned, the quality of your speakers may have more to do with hearing this, than your age.

I did need to use the media player connectivity plugin for firefox with it set to use gmplayer for mp3 playback. If left on its default settings of totem, the screen loads and then stops without playing the sound.

Whee! This is fun...

You guys all say the speakers make a difference, but that doesn't explain why I can't hear it and my wife can. She heard it before she even knew what I was doing, and I didn't hear a thing. I have passed all of the hearing tests they have given us at work with flying colors, too.

mgmiller
June 7th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I have passed all of the hearing tests they have given us at work with flying colors, too.

They may only be testing you up to about 10k to 12k, maybe not even that high. You don't need the higher frequencies for normal speech.

My hearing used to be amazing. I could hear the ultra high frequencies in tv monitors and cameras and even some ultrasonic burglar alarms. I took a shooting sports course in college and didn't wear my hearing protection for only 1 day during shotgun trap/skeet practice. My ears rang for a week and I permanently lost the ability to hear the really high frequency sounds. Afterwards, when I had me ears tested, I ran off the top end of the machines frequency range without problems and got a "normal" result. When I told the tech, she said, they only test for the frequencies in normal speech or a little higher. Really high frequency hearing loss is not tested for and the machines don't even go that high. Bear in mind this was in 1972, so things may have changed a bit, but I suspect, not by very much.

If you can ask at work, find out how high a frequency they test to.

Sunflower1970
June 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Don't think the speakers matter. I have a crappy set on the computer I heard this...this...noise. :) I could hear it, hubby couldn't. I'm 36 he's 42 and I have tinnitus as well. He doesn't. (and he thought I was crazy :) )

burt_57
June 7th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Is this a joke ?
can not hear a thing....... but am deaf :D

mgmiller
June 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I have a crappy set on the computer I heard this...this...noise.

Ah.. it's not a "noise" (although technically, all sounds are noises), it is a high pitched pure tone, like a whistle. I suspect your speakers were distorting the sound. Especially if it just came out as a hiss, hissing sounds tend to be fairly high pitched, and as per my earlier post, your husband may not have been able to hear it, even though he passed his work hearing test.

y-lee
June 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM
I'm 46 with hearing damage i might add .... 10% hearing loss in the higher frequencies...and I can hear it fine. So I don't really believe it at all.

christhemonkey
June 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM
That was 14-20 Hz?!

I seriously doubt it...
If concert A is 440Hz and thats a hell of a lot lower than that...

Maybe you meant khz...

And i can hear it at 18.

BatsotO
June 8th, 2007, 05:56 AM
I have large doubt on the file format, I mean does mp3 compression deals with eliminating sound frequencies that human can't hear?

mgmiller
June 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I have large doubt on the file format, I mean does mp3 compression deals with eliminating sound frequencies that human can't hear?

mp3 compression does indeed do that, but 14-20 khz is within the range of human hearing and if you eliminated it, the music would sound much less "bright". It also depends on the amount of compression, at the low end, 96k compression sounds terrible for just this reason. At the higher end, 192k, 256k and the vbr versions sound pretty good because it preserves more of it. Even 128k mp3's sound pretty good. I just downloaded the clip and checked. It's a 192 kbps clip. So it is not compressing out the higher frequencies.

Sunflower1970
June 8th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Ah.. it's not a "noise" (although technically, all sounds are noises), it is a high pitched pure tone, like a whistle. I suspect your speakers were distorting the sound. Especially if it just came out as a hiss, hissing sounds tend to be fairly high pitched, and as per my earlier post, your husband may not have been able to hear it, even though he passed his work hearing test.

Yes, that's what I heard. Annoying, high-pitched 'noise/whistle/whatever' that hurt my ears...it wasn't a hiss. Hubby couldn't hear it (He hasn't had a work hearing test that I'm aware of...I think that was someone else in this thread) :)

noenter1
June 8th, 2007, 03:59 PM
20, heard it loud and clear, didnt hurt, heard higher pitches than this.

lamalex
June 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
19 and Jesus Christ that's an annoying sound.

scrooge_74
June 8th, 2007, 04:20 PM
33 here, could not actually hear it, but i felt something not confortable on one of my ears

strabes
July 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
My parents can't hear the sound that CRT TVs make; it's kind of funny.

ticopelp
July 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
35 here, and not only could I hear it, I found it very annoying.

@trophy
July 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
26 and can hear it... hurts my ears though. Sounds in that range make the bones on the inside of my ears hurt... if I listen enough it will give me a headache and make me queasy, too...

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I think it would be funny for someone to make a totally unrelated video and put this sound in the background without saying anything about it. Then post it on YouTube.

Bothered
July 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Uncomfortable sound. Made my fingers tingle for some reason.

SunnyRabbiera
July 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I can hear it perfectly... ounch!!!!!

and I am exactly 25, will be 26 very soon

DM was on fire!
July 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
41 and I can hear it.
LOL

XD

I'm fourteen, so I can hear it.
It gave me a headache. XD

jenhsun
July 5th, 2007, 08:41 PM

I am 35 and can hear it.

Try this instead.

A great test hearing site indeed.

kuja
July 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
AAAaaaaahhhhhhhhh!! So noisy! *kills kaffeine*

Herix
July 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM
It's funny. I played the sound so my uncle tell me if he can hear it. when I played the sound and it finished, he was still waiting for me to play it. Than I explained to him that only people under 25 can hear it. So, I played it the second time and he said "yes, I can it. That's a pretty nice music". lol

Im sorry uncle... gotto face it. You're getting old. lol

Freddy
July 8th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I'm a 27 year old carpenter in sweden, I could hear it with my really bad set of ears :).

regomodo
July 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM
i have tinitus, mostly in the left ear, but i heard that fine. In fact it was quite annoying.

Few years ago we (class) messed with a signal generator and a louspeaker and i'm fairly sure i could hear just below 24khz. Doubt i can now.

I'm 21