PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Your Server

Pages : [1] 2 3

CameronCalver
January 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Hey i have a really sketchy server under my house and i was wondering what other peoples servers looked like i assure you my out dodgy's yours i attached the files

kevinf311
January 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM
That... is... AWESOME!

Our server is fairly clean looking (more so than my computer :p ). It is however connected to a high gain antenna pointed at my colleges wireless cloud :mrgreen:

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Heres some of the new server I put together this year. I removed 2 5" and floppy drive bays to add more HD space. I have 8 now. The pics are a little old.

I also added a second front 120mm fan.

In the end this is WAY more power than my home server needs to be. My old 950mhz AMD went up (mobo actually) so when I got new cheap parts it was still alot of power.
If anyone wants to know the parts Ill edit this post.

The Ubuntu sticker came from the official .EPS. Its vinyl like car graffix. I worked at a sign shop so I made it and some more (smaller) to go on cars and laptops.
If you want to do this you can take the .EPS to any sign shop like "Fast Signs" or "Signs By Tomorrow" in the states and get 'em cut pretty cheap.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3946/dscf21869nj.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf21869nj.jpg) http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/602/dscf21879gg.th.jpg (http://img499.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf21879gg.jpg) http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7875/dscf21891fz.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf21891fz.jpg) http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/1233/dscf21911az.th.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf21911az.jpg)

Bad light in my basement. My camera is also only at max iso600.

hkgonra
January 9th, 2007, 12:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/hkgonra/for%20sale/DSCN1243.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/hkgonra/for%20sale/DSCN1242.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/hkgonra/for%20sale/DSCN1241.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/hkgonra/for%20sale/DSCN1240.jpg

linuchsan
January 9th, 2007, 12:41 AM
hkgonra, this hole (the second picture, and first dell to the left) cooling problems, looks like a extra fan hole.

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM
AHHH so many dell :) .
My comp is like so much hight tech then all of yours
544mhz 370mb ram and 80gb hd

seuaniu
January 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM
the one on the left is an old win2k exchange server that I'm hoping will die soon - Athlon 1.4, 1GB memory, 35GB raid1 storage.

The one on the right is the horsepower king, weighing in at 400Mhz, 64MB memory, 8GB storage. Its my webserver, running debian sarge. Current uptime: 136 days :)

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 01:48 AM
nice but whats with all the lan cables and my server uptime is 21 hrs lol i just set it ip

Spano
January 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Nice rig hkgonra, is that in your house? What are you doing over there,
contract work for Oak Ridge?;)

seuaniu
January 9th, 2007, 02:07 AM
nice but whats with all the lan cables and my server uptime is 21 hrs lol i just set it ip

Assuming that you were replying to me here :)

You can't see it, but there's 2 switches on top of that safe. That isn't a home network, theres 34 ports throughout the building, and they all lead to that room.

Oh, and as soon as a new kernel for debian stable gets released, that'll kill my uptime. I've just been lucky that we haven't had any extended power outages or kernel updates to cause me to reboot.

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM
oh yeh and i also have a
77mhz 16mb 500mb hard drive lol id send you a pick but its not in a case:)

RandomJoe
January 9th, 2007, 02:34 AM
A pic of my server itself is pretty dull but some rather like the room as a whole - it isn't quite as impressive as it's been in the past, used to have 4 machines 24x7 which required the A/C run all the time. (Have a mini-split unit mounted to the opposite wall.) It's also a bit of a mess - really ought to tidy things up some day... :rolleyes:

The three shots are a pan across the "interesting" walls. I have everything in the walk-in closet of my office (back bedroom). I mounted a few punchblocks that I scarfed from our old office as we moved out. The top one is for the phone lines, the bottom two are LAN jacks I've installed in various places about the house. I cut a hole in the ceiling and dropped a piece of pipe down from the attic to run the cable.

Gig-E switch, 100MB switch, Vonage, cablemodem, Slackware firewall box all sit on the upper shelf. Dell PowerEdge server contains a 1TB RAID mostly for serving up movies and music. The printer is on the network as well. The Trane box is an old version of the building automation stuff I work with. That one was a leftover from somewhere, now it does a few things for my house.

I also have a PoE cable running out to my wireless AP which works much better in a different location.

Skye
January 9th, 2007, 03:58 AM
My server, and the majority of my network hardware, lives in my basement on (or under) the "pantry overflow" table (as you can see by the bottle of Gatorade and the boxes of Annie's Mac & Cheese.) From bottom to top, there is:

-My fileserver, which I just upgraded to Dapper from Breezy last night. It features a Pentium II @ 300 MHz, 128 MB of ram, and a 160 gig IDE HDD. It doesn't do anything more intense than share music and files to my LAN, so it's get plenty of power- and considering it was 20 dollars at the MIT Swapfest, I'm not complaining.
-My IPCop firewall, which is running off an old dell laptop with a broken screen- it runs surprisingly well, considering how beat up the lappy was when I got it off my boss. It also runs an openvpn vpn server, which allows me to bypass the site filter they have set up at school.
-A Netgear 5 port 10/100 switch
-Cable modem (die, comcast, die)
-The hardwired port providing ethernet for the rest of the house- one of those wires runs to the attic, where there's another Netgear switch, a wireless AP, and another set of hardwired ethernet ports for all the upstairs rooms.

I set most of the infrastructure up when I was 12, and it's served me well ever since.

hkgonra
January 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
hkgonra, this hole (the second picture, and first dell to the left) cooling problems, looks like a extra fan hole.

Nope a hidden spot for dual USB ports.
These came with those systems but Dell covered them up.

hkgonra
January 9th, 2007, 04:25 AM
Nice rig hkgonra, is that in your house? What are you doing over there,
contract work for Oak Ridge?;)

That is work but all my servers are there mixed in with work stuff.

handy
January 9th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Cool Cambo', some of those parts look familiar! :)

I've posted a few shots of my server, w/station, general office mess, just for the fun of it!

The big ugly tower is an old file server from an accountants firm whose business I was lucky enough to do a total office hardware upgrade on. I got to keep the replaced computers & peripherals, & this particular AT case I converted to ATX & have been using for years now, with a variety of different contents. It has heat pipe cooling on the AMD 64/3500 cpu, & on the 6800 GT graphics card, the main noise comes from the 2 x 35gig, 10,000rpm raptors, to a lesser degree the 80gig 7200rpm maxtor boot drive & any others that may be in the drive draws (unusual these days).

NOISE! :(

I'd be interested in any quiet hard drive mounting solutions that anyone has found? I'm thinking of building a wooden storage box for them...

Sorry Cameron, I'm not trying to derail your interesting thread. :)

The 2nd machine is used for testing different distro's when one takes my fancy. Great for reading a how-to post, whilst doing it on the other machine, or visa versa.

All good fun... :)

[Edit:] I just noticed the Adam's Family / Munster's, cobwebs in my room, via the pictures, lol, you can only see them with a flash! :-)

kvonb
January 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM
OK, here is Zen, he lives in the garage (because of noise and heat) and chugs along 24/7 storing all our downloads and giving us Internet.

Sorry about the blurry photos, my wife keeps dropping the digital camera!

Just about EVERY capacitor has been replaced on this old P4VMM2 mainboard, they are renown for dodgy caps! Note the bodge jobs on the odd sized caps, and the parallel "tree" arrangement of 3x1200ufs when I couldn't find any suitable replacements.

It actually works like a charm, and is incredibly stable. You just have to be careful not to move them too much while it's turned on :rolleyes:.

EDIT: handy - we used to sell those cases, they are VERY sturdy, the only problem being the very heavy and cumbersome one piece lid which I see you have removed :)

CameronCalver
January 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Yeh Handy some of those parts may look familiar but the mother board i found at the back out my house and i actually paid for that hard drive (thats the only part) (well dad did anyway)

handy
January 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM
OK, here is Zen, he lives in the garage (because of noise and heat) and chugs along 24/7 storing all our downloads and giving us Internet.

Sorry about the blurry photos, my wife keeps dropping the digital camera!

Just about EVERY capacitor has been replaced on this old P4VMM2 mainboard, they are renown for dodgy caps! Note the bodge jobs on the odd sized caps, and the parallel "tree" arrangement of 3x1200ufs when I couldn't find any suitable replacements.

It actually works like a charm, and is incredibly stable. You just have to be careful not to move them too much while it's turned on :rolleyes:.

EDIT: handy - we used to sell those cases, they are VERY sturdy, the only problem being the very heavy and cumbersome one piece lid which I see you have removed :)

Yep, the cover is a pain, (AT territory).

I used to sell KTX stuff supplied from Newcastle too... Interesting story when they folded, looked a bit fishy happening just when GST was comming into our country?!

Sunnz
January 9th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Not sure if this counts... as it sits on my desktop.

I has some server hardware in it, an AMD Opty, 15K SCSI hard driver, etc...

It doesn't run any web server of any sort... but it is always up and ssh server is always running. (I ssh back to home from school, work, etc...)

maxamillion
January 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Built this 3 years ago ...

# 200 GB, 160 GB, and 40 GB hard drive
# Supermicro SC812S-400C 1U case
# MSI K8D Dual Opteron board
# 4 GB PC2700 DDR333
# Dual AMD Opteron 244s
# debian sid amd64

http://www.swooh.com/swooh3.jpg

Doesn't do much these days but host personal files for me and some friends, hosts some code in svn ... used to rent it out for CAL-i CS:S scrims, but its hardware is showing its age.

Voxxi
January 14th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Here's mine. Not quite as jumbled as the ones I've seen so far. ;) One on the left is my server, the one on the right is my desktop. The thing you see sitting on top of my server is my router that provides the blessed internet.

Server:
Xubuntu 6.10
500MHz Processor
320Mb RAM
8 GB Hardrive (I know, I know. I'm about to put in another 8GB HD)

Desktop:
Ubuntu 6.10
2GHz Processor
512MB RAM
120GB Hardrive

All my server does is provide HTTP, FTP, SVN, Mail, and SSH. Wait, it does quite a bit now that I think about it :).

Polygon
January 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
oo you sit on one of those exercise balls. I hear that those actually give you a work out (sitting on them) cause you gotta keep yourself balanced and sitting up

Voxxi
January 14th, 2007, 07:00 AM
oo you sit on one of those exercise balls. I hear that those actually give you a work out (sitting on them) cause you gotta keep yourself balanced and sitting up

For most people yes, but I'm too tall, I just put my feet on the ground. But it is useful when you're waiting for something to load, you just roll around the room on it, trying not to crash into stuff.

Unfortunately, I always do.

handy
January 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Here's mine. Not quite as jumbled as the ones I've seen so far. ;)

I wouldn't be offended if you used the words messy or **** fight, when descriping mine! :KS

CameronCalver
January 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Last time i saw for server handy it wasn't that bad has it got much worse?

Randomskk
January 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
http://randomskk.net/uploads/servers

http://randomskk.net/uploads/servers/Image095.jpg
Backups server, redundant server, main server, firewall/router, two netgear switches (for DMZ and private nets) and the wireless.

Voxxi
January 14th, 2007, 11:00 PM
http://randomskk.net/uploads/servers
Backups server, redundant server, main server, firewall/router, two netgear switches (for DMZ and private nets) and the wireless.

How do you deal with the heat problems? When I have just too computers running my room heats up pretty quick. I'd hate to think what would happen if I had 4 running...

Titi
January 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM
huh, why do you all have servers? am i the only one around here that just has a computer, nothing more? i don't even think i know anyone with his own server. really, what's it for?

Randomskk
January 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM
How do you deal with the heat problems? When I have just too computers running my room heats up pretty quick. I'd hate to think what would happen if I had 4 running...

That room's pretty cool, and those servers are pretty low-heat. Only 3 are on, btw - the fourth is the redundant one that I can just plug in and turn on when I need it to take over from my main server.

Voxxi
January 15th, 2007, 01:23 AM
huh, why do you all have servers? am i the only one around here that just has a computer, nothing more? i don't even think i know anyone with his own server. really, what's it for?

Well, I'm a web developer, and I use my server to test websites that I've created on before I hand them over to clients. I also use it for compiling, so that it slows the server down, and not my main desktop.

Randomskk
January 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I use my servers for a lot of things:
1) hosting my personal site(s), randomskk.net randomskk.com and a few others
2) hosting some friend's sites
3) Jabber server for IM (talk to gTalk users)
4) IRC server for some friends
5) email server for my websites
6) backup server, ie file storage

Now and again I find other fun uses too.

AusIV4
January 15th, 2007, 02:04 AM
This is what I call my server. It's really more of a media center, but it serves a number of server purposes such as samba and nfs file sharing, and runs a minimal webserver. I use it for MythTV, playing music, and note the Gamecube next to it, I also use it for playing console games with tvtime.

Specs:
512 MB RAM (I'd add another stick, but for some reason my motherboard won't recognize it)
Intel Celeron D 2.93 Ghz processor
400 GB software RAID
Savage S3 Graphics
Plextor ConvertX TV-402U (Primary TV tuner)
Sabrent TV-FM tuner (Secondary TV tuner, mainly used for gaming)

The thing I like to brag about the most with regard to this machine is the price. I got the case, motherboard, power supply, CPU, fan and 512 MB RAM for $120 after rebate on tigerdirect (the rebate was a bit of a hassle, but I got it). I had 160 GB of disk space, the sabrent tuner and the graphics card from an old computer, the rest I've added since I built it. I replaced the fan that came bundled with it, and took some random piece off of the case because they were noisy, which sucks for a dorm room. All told I've put less than $600 into this machine, and it's as nice as some machines I've seen people pay well over a thousand for.

I'd take it apart and show it's innards, but I'm trying to see how much uptime I can get, and I don't want to take it apart while it's on.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~warren-roberts/Dorm/computer.jpg

CameronCalver
January 15th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Ohhhh GameCube

kvonb
January 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM
All told I've put less than $600 into this machine, and it's as nice as some machines I've seen people pay well over a thousand for.

$600!! And that would be US dollars.....mamamia!

My server cost:
CPU: P4-1.6 - $40 from 2nd hand computer shop
40 gig laptop hdd for the OS - free, had bad sectors, fixed.
200g hdd for file storage - $129 new
Mainboard - free, was to be thrown out, I fixed it (see the pics)
the rest is made up of salvaged/repaired/parts lying around the workshop.
Total: $169

My main system cost the most:

CPU: P4 3.2 Prescott - free from an upgrade I did (long story!)
Mainboard: $65 from ebay
80 gig hdd - free, has bad sectors at start of drive, but works well
1 gig RAM $70
Nvidia 6600gt video card $180 from ebay (xmas present from wife)
Sony G500 21" screen - free from salvage pile at 2nd hand computer shop - fixed
DVD burner: $95
All the rest is made from stuff lying around the workshop.
Total: $410

Oh and I also get 40 gigs/month free on my 512/256 link as I am a re-seller for their service 8).

CubicleDweller
January 15th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Here is a pic of my room after I moved back in with the 'rents. Yes, I moved back. :p I just need to get ahead for a few years. Living on my own was great but I was 18 and I did it improperly. Anyways... my server is circled obviously with a Linksys wirless G router and 5-port switch. Not shown is my Cisco Airbus 3500 Wireless gateway and main system.

My server runs a Ventrillo server, IRC server, shoutcast server, and web server. It's currently down right now. I'm going to load Ubuntu Server once I get off work tomorrow. I had Trustix on it temporarily just to test it out. I think that's the best thing of multiple systems is the flexibility of them. The lack of fear of being without a computer. At least for me I fear not having a computer if I mess something up... ](*,) Anywho, also in this picture you will see a very small portion of the piles of random computer hardware I have. In that pile is my old smoothwall and firewall servers too. :mrgreen:

http://3dweller.com/images/photos/server.jpg

Now hmm... who else has their own servers but then pays for another host on top of that? I've found my own servers to serve information I am trying to put out there isn't as reliable as a dedicated allocated hosting location so I've got myself paying $50/month for a host on top of my server.

dada1958
January 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/75/193986008_a84adf0c1a_o.jpg

My €69,- webserver, running Ubuntu-server 8)

handy
January 15th, 2007, 04:45 PM
This is the first thread that I have ever seen that has been getting into my **** is smaller than your ****!!

Sure is different than the who cares, spend spend spend if you want everyone else to think that your **** is as big as their's.

CameronCalver
January 15th, 2007, 11:12 PM
nice fan placement dada

public_void
January 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I have one general backup, batch processing, compiling and download server. It saves my main computer from having to do intensive jobs.

Specs
AMD K-7 533Mhz
128MB RAM
HD 4.3 GB(OS) and 20GB(Storage)

Randomskk
January 15th, 2007, 11:50 PM
This is the first thread that I have ever seen that has been getting into my **** is smaller than your ****!!

you've obviously never seen two engineers designing circuit diagrams then ;p

speedwell68
January 16th, 2007, 12:16 AM
My server is an old Toshiba laptop with a knackered screen. It's a Celeron 1.7, 512mb ram, 40gb HDD. It runs Win2K and is connected to the net with a Netgear ADSL wireless router. I share a house with a die hard windows user and simply allows us to share printers.

speedwell68
January 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
My server is an old Toshiba laptop with a knackered screen. It's a Celeron 1.7, 512mb ram, 40gb HDD. It runs Win2K and is connected to the net with a Netgear ADSL wireless router. I share a house with a die hard windows user and simply allows us to share printers.

And here it is...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/DSCF1796.jpg

Can't think of a better use of a linen cupboard.:-D

victorbrca
January 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM
http://wazem.dyndns.org/temp/my-network/CIMG4541%20(Small).JPG

http://wazem.dyndns.org/temp/my-network/CIMG4542%20(Small).JPG

http://wazem.dyndns.org/temp/my-network/wazem-present-public.png

Vic.

RandomJoe
January 16th, 2007, 02:46 AM
There are all kinds of things one can do with a server... or two... (three?!? :mrgreen: )

At the moment, my server has Apache running for me to play around with, houses a 1TB RAID5 array that I store all my movies and music on so I can watch/listen from any computer in the house (or even outside the house via wireless), monitors my network cameras with ZoneMinder, and lets me connect in from the Internet via SSH or OpenVPN. I also back up all my other computers to it.

I also used to have a MythTV server in there (before ditching cable) so it could record shows whenever they were on. I'm thinking about reconstructing that, as I now have a digital TV tuner card for over-the-air reception.

The nicest part to me is I can have smaller/lighter/quieter machines where I'm actually at (notably the one connected to the projector and stereo in the living room) while a higher-horsepower server does all the Real work in the back room without annoying me with noise/heat/etc. (Granted, my new Core 2 Duo desktop system blows this out of the water - it's cooler, quieter and FAR more powerful than anything else I have! :rolleyes: )

This brings to mind the next question - why have so many other computers? -- I have a desktop system that I sit at most of the time, with three screens - LOVE being able to spread things out. But it's quite immobile, and needs a big desk! Then there's the laptop for "whenever/wherever" especially on warm spring/summer evenings outside. The third "regular" is the PC that runs my projector system.

But yes, I could actually do everything I do with computers on just a single machine! I just wouldn't enjoy it very much...! 8)

handy
January 16th, 2007, 10:05 AM
My **** is just plain bigger. 'Nuff said. :cool:

I'm really glad that we are not exchanging pictures on this subject!

you've obviously never seen two engineers designing circuit diagrams then ;p

I do remember from back in my Amiga days, just how excited the Amiga community would be, when the incredibly hard working programmers would release the next version of their software, that was so much smaller, faster & more capable than the superceded machine code version.

The internet was not for general consumption then, if it was the community would have been something like this magnificent Ubuntu one I'm sure. :KS

wert613
January 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice servers guys, keep em coming.

Aberrix
January 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.leveleight.org/gallery/3146-2/DSC02030.JPG

I am running The Perfect Setup (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_6.06) w/ ISP Config.

- Apache Web server (SSL-capable)
- Mail server (with SMTP-AUTH and TLS!)
- DNS server
- FTP server
- MySQL server
- POP3/IMAP
- Quota
- Firewall
- etc

All running off an old Dell Optiplex GX1 I got for FREE from work.
PIII 500Mhz
512Mb Ram
80Gb HD

It just hosts 1-2 domains and runs my primary e-mail, nothing more nothing less.

kvonb
January 20th, 2007, 05:26 AM
handy: I do remember from back in my Amiga days......

(Puts on Monty Python thick Yorkshire accent) Amiga, you were lucky!!! I had a cardboard box, painted beige with dirty dish-water, full of wires and old TV valves and a keyboard made of me old teeth!

Aberrix: All running off an old Dell Optiplex GX1 I got for FREE from work.

Free? You're the man :)

sumguy231
January 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM
My old server, richard - a 233MHz Cyrix II M (Pentium II Clone) box with 48 MB of RAM, and a 5GB hard drive. It's running Debian Sarge, kernel 2.6.19.1 (Finally getting around to compiling 2.6.19.2 today) with Apache 2.0.x. The case is surprisingly rusty and sharp inside.
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5734/front6pq.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=front6pq.jpg)http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5104/rust8qt.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rust8qt.jpg)http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/708/side7nm.th.jpg (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=side7nm.jpg)

beercz
January 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
OK, here's my Pentium S 133Mhz, 128Mb RAM, 120Gb hard disk server, guarded by Tux!!. I use it for backing up the 2 Ubuntu based laptops and 2 Windows XP based desktops, testing web sites and network programming projects that I do.

Server runs Debian Sarge btw.

:guitar: (I've wanted to use one of these guitar smilies for ages :) )

t4thfavor
January 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
There is the only surviving picture of my server.
Its a PIII 600 W/128Megs pc133 from compaq running IPCop 4.11. this box is used to share the 28.8 Dial up that is the only available internet solution in our area (check out the mega modem).

Note: When I said "share" I meant kinda like try to share since we all know that you really can't share such an immense pipe with very many people.

EDIT: The Hdd is an ata100 from WD with 20GB for webcache

mips
January 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
There is the only surviving picture of my server.
Its a PIII 600 W/128Megs pc133 from compaq running IPCop 4.11. this box is used to share the 28.8 Dial up that is the only available internet solution in our area (check out the mega modem).

Note: When I said "share" I meant kinda like try to share since we all know that you really can't share such an immense pipe with very many people.

EDIT: The Hdd is an ata100 from WD with 20GB for webcache

Thats one of the best modems ever made you got there !

xmastree
January 29th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Great thread!

Right, here's some pics of a server I made for my Internet Cafe. It's actually quite a decent machine, Athlon 2400, 1Gig, GeForce4, but in a very old desktop case.

A sleeper.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/insideview.jpg

You can just make out the hacked bluetooth dongle above the floppy, stuck there with epoxy. Hacked so that I could fit a better light, to shine through the front panel.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/bluemess.jpg
(yes, that's the rubber grip from an old pen.)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/blue.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/blueled.jpg

I also fitted a front USB socket to the drive caddy:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/usb.jpg

A bit of extra cooling,

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/grille.jpg

and it's good to go. (taken before the bluetooth mod)

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/chrispollard/retro.jpg

See the bottom left corner? That used to be a cover lock. It's now the reset switch.

xmastree
January 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM
(Puts on Monty Python thick Yorkshire accent) Amiga, you were lucky!!! I had a cardboard box, painted beige with dirty dish-water, full of wires and old TV valves and a keyboard made of me old teeth!
Luxury! We used to 'ave to scratch lines in t'muck and count 'em wi'us fingers! :D

hkgonra
January 29th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thats one of the best modems ever made you got there !

I have one sitting here next to my desk that is free to a good home.

CameronCalver
January 29th, 2007, 11:20 PM
wow this thread is growing fast and also my server from the first post has died from all the dust an heat lol

mips
January 30th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I have one sitting here next to my desk that is free to a good home.

I pm'ed you.

tarball
February 2nd, 2007, 02:29 AM
I seem to have a knack for aquiring machine when friends upgrade.
Looking forward to getting to better spec machines when people ?upgrade? to Vista :-)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00211-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00209-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00208-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00207-1.jpg

beercz
February 2nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
I seem to have a knack for aquiring machine when friends upgrade.
Looking forward to getting to better spec machines when people ?upgrade? to Vista :-)

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00211-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00209-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00208-1.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s221/pushvanjay/DSC00207-1.jpg

Looks like my office!! :-)

Sunnz
February 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM
tarball do you run a distributed system on those machines or are they all run on their own?

tarball
February 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
I used to have 'distcc' running on the three Sun Enterprise machines when I was running Gentoo but they are really noisy and I have a hard enough time stopping my GF from chucking stuff out as it is! :-)

Breakdown

First pic:
Left machine is:
Dual Celeron 533
384MB RAM
1 x 30GB HDD
1 x 320GB HDD
2 x 250GB HDD
1 x 160GB HDD
Running:
Ubuntu server 6.10
Used for:
General fileserver, contains all my ripped DVDs and ripped CDs, photos etc.

Bottom machine (no side panel) is:
1.8GHz Intel P4
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
Running:
Ubuntu server 6.10
Used for:
Three Xen virtualised machines, one as a webserver, one as ldap server, one as (as yet undecided) groupware server.

Top machine (Compaq Ipaq):
733MHz Intel PIII
256MB RAM
200GB HDD
Running:
Ubuntu server 6.10
Used for:
Backup server, just backs up stuff I couldn't easily obtain elsewhere, ie photos, personal docs, home areas.

Machines on floor:
Sun Enterprise servers
500MHz sparc processors
512MB RAM
Small(ish) (< 100GB) HDDs
Running:
NetBSD or SunOS (I think)
Used for:
Nothing at the moment, too noisy. When I finish building my garage, they will live in there. Us brits don't have basements like some of you guys :-(

Second pic:

Main workstation area:
21" monitor (usually running at 1600x1200)
Keyboard/Mouse
All connected to KVM
Hope to replace the CRT for a couple of LCD screens in the near future.
Damn that CRT takes some room.

Third pic:

Epson RX620 inkjet printer/scanner
Samsung ML1510 laser printer

Compaq Ipaq
733MHz Intel PIII
768MB RAM
10GB HDD
Running:
Windows 2K
Used for:
Currently running Windows2K, only really used for the rare Windows app, mainly used for streaming media from web/server when I am working. Connected to 17" screen right of printer.

Fourth pic:

Left machine:
Shuttle case
AMD 2200XP
1GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6600LE 256MB
160GB HDD
Running:
Kubuntu 6.10
Used for:
BitTorrent, iPodder, jBidWatcher, playing with beryl, other general usage. Occasional WoW but has no sound connected so not often used for this.

Right machine:
AMD 2800XP
1GB RAM
40GB HDD
nVidia GeForce 6600 256MB
Running:
Gentoo
Used for:
Browsing, coding, World of Warcraft, general usage.
Currently running Gentoo but it is badly out of date upgrade wise. Although I love Gentoo, really flexible distro, loads of stuff in the 'respositories', because the updates have lapsed for so long, I really don't fancy waiting for it all to compile. Plan of action is to replace HDD with a 120GB HDD, install Kubuntu (maybe Fiesty)
Currently running Gentoo but badly out of date in terms of

Other machines not pictured:

Sun Ultra 5, 333MHz Sparc IIi
256MB RAM
30GB HDD
Running:
Solaris 10
Used for:
Not set up at the moment, intend to play around with Solaris a bit

Compaq AP400 Workstation
Dual 500MHz Intel PIII
512MB RAM
60GB HDD
Running:
Ubuntu server 6.10
Used for:
Toe stubber at the moment :-)
I'll have to think of a use.

Downstairs, I've got a couple of laptops running Kubuntu 6.10, used for browsing in front of TV, those cructial IMDB lookups during movie watching :-) and as SSH/VNC terminal to other machines.

Hope I haven't bored you all too much!

Sunnz
February 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Ahh man!!! I shall get my mum to read this - she thinks I have too many computers!!! (Only 4 and throwing out 1 of them.) (Will post pics/details later.)

mips
February 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
I used to have 'distcc' running on the three Sun Enterprise machines when I was running Gentoo but they are really noisy and I have a hard enough time stopping my GF from chucking stuff out as it is! :-)

Breakdown

Jeepers. With all those machines running you probably don't need central heating in winter.

Do you really need so many machines ? You strike me as a real pack rat :)

tarball
February 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Jeepers. With all those machines running you probably don't need central heating in winter.

Do you really need so many machines ? You strike me as a real pack rat :)

It can get a little warm. I'm banking on some decent spec machines popping up on eBay as people buy new machines to run Vista. If this happens, I'll pick up a couple of higher spec machines, load them up with memory, and consolidate some of these boxes thru virtualisation.

I will admit though, I do have a hard time throwing things out! The most expensive machine was the Dual Celeron which I bought a MoBo/CPU bundle when the ABIT BP6 MoBo first came out. Apart from that I don't think I've paid more than £30 (~$60 at today's exchange rate) for any of the other machines, as I have always happened to be in the right place when friends have bought new machines.

tomane
February 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I've posted a few shots of my server, w/station, general office mess, just for the fun of it!

Looks like we have a guildwars player in the forums :D

Now, there's one thing that's preventing me from dumping windows alltogether.
Well, that and a fancy VPN connection :(

Cheers,
--to

veratyr
February 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Some of you look like you could use some lessons in cable management. Zip ties are your friends.

hkgonra
February 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Some of you look like you could use some lessons in cable management. Zip ties are your friends.

Depends on how often you move stuff around. Zip ties can be your enemy as well.

AvWijk
February 19th, 2007, 02:24 AM
My € 0-, server , animated :)

http://homepages.fcj.hu.nl/1504286/images/briopc.gif

I've got it for free, it originaly was a Celeron 433 with 64 MB and Win 98, upgraded as much as possible. It completely runs with free software AND hardware :P

Specs are:

Celeron 533 Mhz
256 MB ram
80 GB harddisk
Dual Intel 10/100 Nic

It's small-cased and very silent (most important feature) and does it job very well and fast, with Ubuntu 6.06 LAMP and Apache, PHP, MySQL, Samba, Hamachi. Too bad I cannot upgrade the CPU any further, a limit of the mainboard I think (its a HP Brio D75xx) But for now its fast enough, the performance it just outstanding for what it needs to do. Win2k3 server with the same services is 10 times slower on a hardware configuration 10 times faster.

Enigmus
February 20th, 2007, 01:19 PM
My server cost me about $50 Australian. It's an old Dell Optiplex GX150. I have SSH and apache up on it, but since I'm on my families network, my mum usually gets jumpy about me lagging the network, so it's usually offline. Still good for playing around with though.

733 MhZ (intel?) Processor
10GB IDE Hard Drive
128MB RAM
I also installed an extra network card I found laying around since I needed to throw it somewhere.

I don't have a pick, but I typically run it with my main computer since I have a KVM Switch. Easier than having two screens and all that stuff, I reckon.

Aberrix
February 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Just finished wiring my house with Cat5e. I moved my server to my new 'network rack' so I thought I'd show it off :)

http://www.leveleight.org/gallery/5220-2/DSC02086.JPG

On top is my networking gear;
Metal network cabinet
Linksys WCG200 (Cable Modem / Router / WAP)
Dell PowerConnect 3248 Switch
Patch panel
UPS

(I didn't feel like trying to mount the network cabinet on the wall, so I just built a shelf. I like it better actually as it allows me to have some towers below and some storage)

On the bottom are my server(s), the server on the left is as follows:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server, The Perfect Setup w/ ISP Config.
- DNS server
- FTP server
- MySQL server
- POP3/IMAP
- Quota
- Firewall
- Samba
- etc

PIII 500Mhz
512Mb Ram
80Gb HD
300Gb HD
Ubuntu Stickers! :)

The server on the right is currently decommissioned until I refurb it with a new heatsink, case fans, hopefully upgrade to 1Gb of RAM and also hopefully a new HD, possibly RAID but it is as follows;
AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
768Mb Ram
40Gb HD

Future plans are to migrate everything over to the 1.3Ghz box (eventually) and then turn the Dell GX1 into a NAS (ie: FreeNAS) :)

hkgonra
February 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Just finished wiring my house with Cat5e. I moved my server to my new 'network rack' so I thought I'd show it off :)

http://www.leveleight.org/gallery/5220-2/DSC02086.JPG

On top is my networking gear;
Metal network cabinet
Linksys WCG200 (Cable Modem / Router / WAP)
Dell PowerConnect 3248 Switch
Patch panel
UPS

(I didn't feel like trying to mount the network cabinet on the wall, so I just built a shelf. I like it better actually as it allows me to have some towers below and some storage)

On the bottom are my server(s), the server on the left is as follows:

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server, The Perfect Setup w/ ISP Config.
- DNS server
- FTP server
- MySQL server
- POP3/IMAP
- Quota
- Firewall
- Samba
- etc

PIII 500Mhz
512Mb Ram
80Gb HD
300Gb HD
Ubuntu Stickers! :)

The server on the right is currently decommissioned until I refurb it with a new heatsink, case fans, hopefully upgrade to 1Gb of RAM and also hopefully a new HD, possibly RAID but it is as follows;
AMD Thunderbird 1.3Ghz
768Mb Ram
40Gb HD

Future plans are to migrate everything over to the 1.3Ghz box (eventually) and then turn the Dell GX1 into a NAS (ie: FreeNAS) :)

:cry: :frown:
I wish I had a basement.

ablablablablabla
February 22nd, 2007, 03:46 AM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r190/ablablablablabla/ablabla-1.png

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r190/ablablablablabla/ablabla-1.png

What OS are you running on each ?
Looks like lorten2 is a firewall/print server.

jethro10
February 22nd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Can someone expplain to me why I need a server/network at home.

I feel embarased not having stuff like in these pictures.
If someone gives me a good enough reason I'll go get me one!!

J

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2007, 04:37 PM

J

Well you could host your own website , just for the heck of it.
To me they are most useful when you have multiple pc's and users in a home , you can setup a server to use for backups and as a central repo for files that you share or as a print server so that everyone in the house can use the same printers.

christhemonkey
February 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM
My server is:

Pentium 2
166 MHz
64mb RAM
4GB HD
and another 1.2GB HD.

and functions as:
File server via samba(i know, a whole 1.2GB of files....)
Web sharing
DNS server
Apache server
Print server

I think thats all it does.....

It over heats quite regularly so iv taken the lid off it.
A picture will follow as soon as i find my digital camera...

hoagie
February 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
I thought that ubuntu server edition didn't have a graphical environment but in the screenshots all of the pics looked like having one. What am I getting wrong?

beercz
February 22nd, 2007, 05:33 PM

J
Well, I use mine for sharing files with other computers (including samba for a couple of windows pcs, as well as a couple of ubuntu laptops), testing websites that I am currently developing, as a print server, and as a backup of my laptop.

I imagine others do something similar.

Mateo
February 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Well you could host your own website , just for the heck of it.
To me they are most useful when you have multiple pc's and users in a home , you can setup a server to use for backups and as a central repo for files that you share or as a print server so that everyone in the house can use the same printers.

you don't need a server to do any of that stuff (except hosting a website).

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
you don't need a server to do any of that stuff (except hosting a website).

Agreed, you can use any one of your pc's as a central repo.
You can buy seperate print server for each printer.
You could run backups from one to another.
You don't even need your own server to host a website, there are MANY places out there that will host your website for free.

There are many different ways to do things.
I have tried several but I like the idea of having one dedicated server that is Raided to hold everything.

Plus a server , like most of what we all seem to do, is just another toy to play with.

Medieval_Creations
February 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
I would agree that you don't need a server, but where's the fun in that. :D My herd developed and continues to grow from me inheriting older PC's from people, rather than them just throwing them away.

I personally like having a central server at home Raided with all my Mp3, Movies & ISOs.

(Pic forth coming)

Aberrix
February 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Can someone explain to me why I need a server/network at home.

like most of what we all seem to do, is just another toy to play with.

I find my network is very functional, I use it to share my internet connection throughout the house, multiple PC's as well as video game systems like Xbox 360. Also for transferring files between all the PC's in my house and backing up data. This is the technology age, everything will soon be internet ready, why not be a step ahead of the game?

Also like hkgonra said, its also just another toy to play with. I am sure most of us who do this are tech geek's, so it doubles as job training, experimenting and having fun :) Could I get by without it? or a cheaper/easier solution? yeah... probably, but where's the fun in that?

Mateo
February 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Agreed, you can use any one of your pc's as a central repo.
You can buy seperate print server for each printer.
You could run backups from one to another.
You don't even need your own server to host a website, there are MANY places out there that will host your website for free.

There are many different ways to do things.
I have tried several but I like the idea of having one dedicated server that is Raided to hold everything.

Plus a server , like most of what we all seem to do, is just another toy to play with.

Why do you need a print server at all? Plug your printers up directly to your router. That's what I do, with 2 printers, works on ever computer.

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Why do you need a print server at all? Plug your printers up directly to your router. That's what I do, with 2 printers, works on ever computer.

If you have a router that has USB connections or printers that have ethernet connections then you are correct , but most routers do not have USB connections and most printers people use in their homes do not have an ethernet connection.

Mateo
February 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
most printers today have ethernet cards. If you have an old printer that's true, they don't, but if you're going to spend the money to build a print server, why not just spend it on a new printer ;)

hkgonra
February 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
most printers today have ethernet cards. If you have an old printer that's true, they don't, but if you're going to spend the money to build a print server, why not just spend it on a new printer ;)

:confused:
It may be different where you are but other than a very few printers I have seen is stores which cost over $500 I have never been in a store and seen a printer with an ethernet card.
I know a very few exist under that price but they are not something you will see in a Best Buy or comporable store.
Now if you are talking about high-end laser printers then obviously most have ethernet cards but I have never seen anyone purchase one of those for home use.

As far as the cost of building a print server ( or full fledged home server for that matter ) hardware that would fit that bill is readily available ( at least where I live ) for free, and we all know that the software is free. ;)

tomane
February 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Unfortunatelly, that's not true... Networking capable printers are still rare, although we're making progress, and more expensive than the networkless equivalent. I'm refering to laser printers, btw. If you look to the inkjet territory, things get even worse, unless you're willing to pay a lot more for your printer, just to get an aditional 20€ or less worth of electronic components ;).
Well, at least that's how it is where I live.

As for the extra money for the print server, you are right, but usually, and this thread actually confirms it, server hardware is salvaged material that you get almost for free, so it probably is cheaper than the extra money for a networked printer *and* you have the ability to have a centralized repo for miscelaneous files, not to mention a new toy :lolflag: :D

€0,02
cheers,
--to

christhemonkey
February 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Apart from my servers power supply just went up in smoke...literally! that could have been very bad!!

Medieval_Creations
February 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
My herd was in the process of being moved, so nothing was plugged in at this point but all functional. My wife got tired of looking at all the cases so for my B-Day a year or two ago I got the rack and have been migrating PCs over here & there ever since.

Rack
1st: D-Link 24-Port managed switch.
2nd (Red): Hard firewall running IPCop.
3rd (Silver): Web server running Debian Sarge (eventually Ubuntu).
4th (Black): File server running Debian Sarge (eventually Ubuntu).

Left
Top: Test box running FreeBSD.
Middle: Windows Server 2000.
Bottom: Test box running Slackware.

Floor
Newly acquired. Still has not been given a purpose.

Mateo
February 23rd, 2007, 02:04 AM
Unfortunatelly, that's not true... Networking capable printers are still rare, although we're making progress, and more expensive than the networkless equivalent. I'm refering to laser printers, btw. If you look to the inkjet territory, things get even worse, unless you're willing to pay a lot more for your printer, just to get an aditional 20€ or less worth of electronic components ;).
Well, at least that's how it is where I live.

As for the extra money for the print server, you are right, but usually, and this thread actually confirms it, server hardware is salvaged material that you get almost for free, so it probably is cheaper than the extra money for a networked printer *and* you have the ability to have a centralized repo for miscelaneous files, not to mention a new toy :lolflag: :D

€0,02
cheers,
--to

ok cool. I thought ethernet printers were more common than they apparently are. I have 2 in my home.

RandomJoe
February 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
Aside from filling some useful functions that could admittedly be handled reasonably well in other ways, the most compelling reason for me is:

Because I Can! :guitar:

Fiddling with networks is my hobby. If I could go out and find a netadmin or sysadmin job that assured me I wouldn't ever have to fix a Windows box again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Until then, I satisfy myself running a fancier network in my home than many businesses have! :lolflag:

Seriously... I just started a new job, and I've once again become the sorta-kinda sysadmin because no one else has a clue. (My primary job has little to do with office networks - I do building automation systems.) I walked into an office of ~25 machines, a "file server" that was a network-attached USB hard drive (!!!), a 16-port 10/100 switch. (They have some small switches scattered around on desks too!) The 'net connection was a Cisco 1400 (think that's right) giving them only 25 IPs, no DHCP. No external access from their remote office.

Now, a week later, I have replaced the Cisco with a Linux firewall/DHCP/DNS/VPN server (just like at home) and the USB drive has (just in time - the drive bearings are going out!) been replaced with a proper server w/ RAID storage and backups. Running Linux, using Samba! As a bonus, the Cisco for some reason was only allowing ~3Mbps inbound. The Linux box gives us the full 7Mbps connection speed. Nothing like doubling Inet performance first week in the office! :)

And all thanks to playing around at home...

ablablablablabla
February 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM
What OS are you running on each ?
Looks like lorten2 is a firewall/print server.

yeah, exactly.. and a streaming webcam.. i just set up lorten3,.

lorten: 1595 mhz, 512 mb ram, ubuntu 6.10
lorten2: 233 mhz, 128 mb ram, Slackware 11.0
lorten3: 350 mhz, 256 mb ram, Slackware 11.0

victorbrca
March 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Look a this guys setup Link (http://knuttz.net/hosted_pages/Messy-Datacenter-20070208)

This is crazy.... Here are the pics to save you the trouble... ***EDITED - Some of the pics were blocked by the host site. I left the first one.

http://media.knuttz.net/0702/messy_datacenter/messy_datacenter_001.jpg

Vic.

beercz
March 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hmmm

Wonder how big his electric bill is?

For more chaotic server farms and data centre mayhem look here (http://www.sysadminday.com/gallery.html).

Sunnz
March 21st, 2007, 01:15 AM
This is not my server: (but it looks impressive nevertheless.)

http://www.openbsd.org/images/newrack.jpg

CameronCalver
March 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
nice server ^^^^

victorbrca
March 29th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I gotta all my stuff more organized... Hoping to get a relay rack sometime....

http://wazem.dyndns.org/temp/DSC00250.jpg

http://wazem.dyndns.org/temp/DSC00252.jpg

- HP server has Windows 2003 with Web and FTP server (It will change to Ubuntu Server 6.10 within the next couple days)
- FreeNAS with 4HDs
- SmoothWall Firewall
- Windows XP (for VPN) with a VmWare Ubuntu Server 6.10 (SSH and proxy)
- Laptop with Edgy

Vic.

Sunnz
May 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ok this is really my server...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g87/dblahdx/IMG_0902.jpg

See it? Try again:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g87/dblahdx/IMG_0904.jpg

There it is:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g87/dblahdx/IMG_0905.jpg

go_beep_yourself
October 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5606/hpim0633mx7.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1962/hpim1070af3.jpg

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Hey i have a really sketchy server under my house and i was wondering what other peoples servers looked like i assure you my out dodgy's yours i attached the files

lol, what thehell

n3tfury
October 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5606/hpim0633mx7.jpg

crop it or link it. way too big.

mysticrider92
October 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Just wondering, why did you use an SLi mobo for a server? They don´t even need a video card or screen when set up right... And n3tfury is right, the pics should be resized or linked to.

Almighty
October 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Wow.

Some of you guys have some pretty serious set ups. I just have a single Dell Optiplex GX750. I wish I knew more about server admin. even tho I have one strange I know.

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS powered

Apache2 webserver
Tomcat webserver
FTP
MYSQL

Pic later coming soon.

Hey does anyone know how to speed up download speeds from a site hosted on a home server? My speeds are horrible.

CameronCalver
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
well since i made this thread iv died iv upgraded myns a 800mhz 512mb 80gb V basic

n3tfury
October 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM
well since i made this thread iv died iv upgraded myns a 800mhz 512mb 80gb V basic

you died? do they have quantum pc's up there yet?

go_beep_yourself
October 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Just wondering, why did you use an SLi mobo for a server? They don´t even need a video card or screen when set up right... And n3tfury is right, the pics should be resized or linked to.

Because it functions as more than a server. It's an ingame server, not a dedicated one. That computer is called the Linux beast. It has an 8800 gts 320 mb ddr3 vram pci express 16x card, 2 gb gskill ddr dual channel memory, overclocked amd 3800+ x2 dual core cpu at 2.4 ghz, 2 sata2 320 gb/s drives in linux software raid, 2 dual layer dvd burners, 700 watt 36 amps FSP power supply unit and plenty of cooling. Also, I took the floppy drive out and beat it with a hammer because it is useless and archaic.

D-EJ915
October 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Here's my rackmount, I need to get a new hard drive for it and thus don't run it right now. It's sitting on my fireplace at home.

2x P-III 1.13GHz
512MB

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/server1.jpg

n3tfury
October 24th, 2007, 10:36 AM
here's mine at work. sorry about the shoddy pic, but *no cameras allowed*

CameronCalver
October 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM
here's mine at work. sorry about the shoddy pic, but *no cameras allowed*

nice no cameras lol and yeah not me die lol myn died ill get a pic up of the new one laterz

kapellen421
October 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
My System Specs

At Work:

Dell Optiplex 745
:)

At Home:
AMD 64bit 3800+
1.5 DDR400 PC3200
40gig IDE running 7.10
2x 500samsung SATA-II drives in a Thermaltake Icage
Nvidia 7900 with 512mb
17' LCD Monitor
RUNS FAST RUNS QUITE :):):)

bobbocanfly
December 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Bumping this thread because its awesome. Here is my server:

Penguin:
Intel P4 2.5GHz
512mb RAM
Apache2, Gproftpd, Samba, NFS, uTorrent (Wine, 9wm), x11vnc, sshd
Used to be my old desktop but then my family bought the Packard Bell, so im using that as a desktop now. Going to get an old box to run as a dedicated web server and have a dedicated Torrent/File Server (Piracy machine)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2247/2114656127_a688c1a2d9.jpg
Click for larger image (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2247/2114656127_a688c1a2d9_b.jpg)

boast
December 16th, 2007, 06:42 PM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/1593/closetbg8hz0.jpg

klange
December 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Here's mine (http://ogunderground.com/me.jpg)

andhar
December 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/andhar/DSC03804.jpg

File server - the one with the sata back plane (purty lights)
Web Server - the smallest one (the guts are custom its just a netvista case)

Both running 7.10

CameronCalver
December 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/1593/closetbg8hz0.jpg

AHHH i see a windows disk DESTROY DESTROY!!

fedex1993
December 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c150/andhar/DSC03804.jpg

File server - the one with the sata back plane (purty lights)
Web Server - the smallest one (the guts are custom its just a netvista case)

Both running 7.10

gosh i want your setup lol. Very nice setup i half to say. umm where did you get the netvista case? i have a nfs file server setup at my home and i am thinking about buying some smaller cases like the netvista so ican build some new stuff. My pic will soon be on here onc ei have my camera

dewcansam
December 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM
CameronCalver, i was just wondering if they ever let you out from under the house to eat ?

as far for me: i am going through a rebuilding period so i can post an older pic if you want.

new 2007-11: ubuntu 7.04 http ftp ssh nfs

old: rh7.2 http ftp nfs
w2k server dns dhcp asp mssql
w98
wxp

gotta love the new setup no more msw

CameronCalver
December 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM
HAHA yes iv moved out now lol here are all my computers yes i no there not as fancy as all of your rackmount servers etc but myn does the trick

p.s sorry for bad quality my camera was flat used my phone 2mp :)

andhar
December 17th, 2007, 01:31 AM
gosh i want your setup lol. Very nice setup i half to say. umm where did you get the netvista case? i have a nfs file server setup at my home and i am thinking about buying some smaller cases like the netvista so ican build some new stuff. My pic will soon be on here onc ei have my camera

Thanks, I got the Netvista case on ebay about 10 years ago.. It sat for years since I didn't have a flexATX board for it.
I picked up the board for $30 the cdrom I had and the cpu and ram I had laying around as well so all in all it cost me about 50 bucks for the web server since its all old tech.

But Ebay Netvista S42 case (http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-NetVista-H32-HS-Black-Computer-External-Casing-NR_W0QQitemZ290190903398QQihZ019QQcategoryZ150129Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

KCPokes
December 17th, 2007, 02:06 AM
http://shutyourpiehole.no-ip.com/gallery/d/3765-4/IMG_5220.JPG

From left to right:

PIII 600, 1GB RAM - dedicated firewall, running Smoothwall 3.0
Sun Ultrasparc II, 2X300 with 1GB RAM - dedicated webserver running Solaris 9 (because I'm too lazy to upgrade)
1GHz Dell 1GB RAM - dedicated PVR running XP (frankly I only run it because I find that GBPVR is the easiest PVR software to run), although it will soon become my MAME machine, once I get my cabinet completed
AMD 3200+ 2GB RAM - running Windows Server 2000 (only because I run Symantic Enterprise for virus protection). This is my dedicated file server, VM test server, and will become the PVR server in the near future
2X1Ghz 2GB RAM - dedicated mail server running Fedora 4 w/ Zimbra.

Also shown:

two 2507 Cisco routers
2916XL Cisco switch

Not shown (it sits behind all the servers) - Sun multidisk storage array providing 9X32GB of storage for websites.

You can see the fan sitting there (to the left). The servers sit under the stairs, going down to my basement. You can lose a quick few pounds by just hanging out in there, even with the door open. They can crank out some serious heat. The room is vented on both sides, though, so the overall heat is controlled.

toupeiro
December 17th, 2007, 07:21 AM
This was the front of the old server room we moved out of about 2 years ago:

Oldserveroom1:

Rack 1: empty / growth

Rack 2: 3 Sunfire V440's with attached storage arrays, 1 Proliant ML570, 2 Proliant DL385;s

Rack 3: Brocade Fabric switch (cannot see), 3 Proliant DL380's, 1 Sunfire 280R and 1 Sunfire V880

Rack 4: Quantum DX-30 VTL head with 15TB storage, Quantum M2500 tape loader at the bottom

Oldserveroom2 (same server room, different angle)

The Bench had 4 Avocent AMX control stations which controlled KVM to every server in the server room. Then just the other sets of server rack rows.

toupeiro
December 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM
here are two of my workhorses at home:

D-EJ915
December 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I set up my old 550MHz P-III since I still don't have a hard drive for my IBM (or rather, an ATA controller card or caddies for my SCSI disks). It's got my old geforce 3 in it too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/th_vaio_down.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/vaio_down.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/th_vaio_up.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/vaio_up.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/th_vaio_inside.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/enthauptet/bin/vaio_inside.jpg)

CameronCalver
December 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM
This was the front of the old server room we moved out of about 2 years ago:

Oldserveroom1:

Rack 1: empty / growth

Rack 2: 3 Sunfire V440's with attached storage arrays, 1 Proliant ML570, 2 Proliant DL385;s

Rack 3: Brocade Fabric switch (cannot see), 3 Proliant DL380's, 1 Sunfire 280R and 1 Sunfire V880

Rack 4: Quantum DX-30 VTL head with 15TB storage, Quantum M2500 tape loader at the bottom

Oldserveroom2 (same server room, different angle)

The Bench had 4 Avocent AMX control stations which controlled KVM to every server in the server room. Then just the other sets of server rack rows.

and was this for a buisness and if so wat for

toupeiro
December 18th, 2007, 07:34 AM
and was this for a buisness and if so wat for

:) well its certainly not my garage.

As for the what for, I'd tell ya but I'd have to rm ya...:guitar: j/k

beercz
December 18th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Ok here's mine.

It's the tower on the left (being guarded by tux!).

1.4Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 1x40Gb h/d (system) and 1x250Mb h/d (home)

Running Debian Etch.

Both laptops running Gutsy btw.

(Sadly I also have 2 windows desktops elsewhere in the house :-().

isecore
December 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Well, here comes the dodgiest server so far :)

It's mine, and it's in my home office. Don't mind the dustmites, we (me + gf) have a dog + two cats, so no matter how much you clean it still looks like a circus after a few hours.

It's a Sempron 2500+ with half a gig of RAM and slightly less than 1 terabyte of harddrive (972 gigabytes to be exact). It has several functions, most of them are handling email and serving up homepages (with MySQL and PHP). Currently it's the host for five domains. It also acts as ftp-server and network storage for me and my girlfriends computers, as well as crunching Seti@home with the leftover CPU-resources. Of course it runs SSH as well, and we use that quite frequently when away from home to check email and such. It's connected straight to the 100mbs Internet-connection. OS is Debian Stable (currently that's Etch, but it's been upgraded twice - first OS was Woody, then Sarge, now Etch). It runs 24/7 and the best uptime was about 220 days, but then one of the harddrives died and it had to be shut down for the change. On average the uptime is about 4-5 months.

And as you can see, it's not the prettiest of computers. It's housed in a heavily modified and fubar'ed Aopen HX08 that easily is more than ten years old. Most of the modifications however aren't visible, and I won't turn it off and pick it apart just to show you.

Explanations follow below:

http://www.isecore.net/dodgy_server_1
The brown packing-tape is to cover up an old hole I chopped up several years ago. A previous incarnation of the machine had a very weak powersupply, and I added a secondary powersupply to keep the harddrives happy. However, when I upgraded it was no longer needed, so I taped the hole shut and used some cardboard for noise-dampening :) (the black cable snaking over the machine is the charger for my Nintendo DS)

The writing on the side is from about four years ago when me and a friend were somewhat inebriated and celebratory. The round sketch is from when I was planning some additional cooling, until I realized I had it all upside-down. The fans that are bolted on is the result of that additional cooling.

http://www.isecore.net/dodgy_server_2
There's four harddrives being cooled by the Coolermaster-thingamajig there. Originally designed for the Stacker-cases, I bought one and squeezed it in after some minor modifications. It looks like the fans aren't turning, but I just took the pictures with a very quick exposure.

The holes in the front is for another fan. I quickly drilled them one night a few years ago. That fan is no longer in use, and I'm thinking of instead cutting up the faceplate and adding two large 120mm fans to cool the entire machine instead. The two 80mm fans are dying, they were old even before they started working here, so far they've been running for more than four years straight (with small periods of downtime when I moved house or when the power got turned off).

The powerbutton up at the top of the case is nonfunctional. It was connected to an old AT-powersupply and is useless. Instead I routed the powerswitch to the former reset-button, located underneat the drive-cage. The two LED-lights were added to show activity from the additional IDE-adapters inside the computer, but they were mostly annoying so I removed the cables. The lights themselves are however glued in place, so no removal there!

Tom Mann
December 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I have one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/global/images/products/frnt/120/wdfMyBook_World_1N.jpg

Acting as a file and Bittorrent Server. This is connected directly to my BTHomeHub which supplies my wireless connection to my main PC.

I have removed "mionet" and added NFS and Transmission to it, installed the Clutch interface too.

Next I'm going to alter the setup to host a website out to the internet.

See here :)
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

andhar
December 18th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Haha thats great isecore I had a good laugh when I saw the side panel. How'd you get your gf into linux mine hates all things computers.

isecore
December 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Haha thats great isecore I had a good laugh when I saw the side panel. How'd you get your gf into linux mine hates all things computers.

Yeah, the sidepanel is kinda ironic :)

How'd I get my girlfriend into Linux? Fairly simple... she was complaining about Windows being the shite, I suggested she try an alternative OS such as Ubuntu (Compiz Fusion helped convince her!) and she hasn't looked back. She's getting into the terminal now, running irssi from a prompt, hacking bash-scripts, the lot. She's almost as geeky as I am, and I love her for it :D

fedex1993
January 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
what happened to this thread it was awesome come on this thread was tarting to get good :)

CameronCalver
January 11th, 2008, 02:57 AM
yeah i am the creator of this awesome thread all hail me :guitar::lolflag:

nah yeah come on guys SERVERRRSS

rabid9797
January 11th, 2008, 03:17 AM
a question to all of you that host files/websevers on the internet. what do you use for an internet connection? do you use your home connection, or a dedicated line or what?

Blutack
January 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Am I alone in preferring laptops?
I have my trusty HP laptop and in our living room a sempron +3600 in a cupboard, attached to a 19" monitor I hauled out of a skip with mythbuntu/lighttpd/jinzora/some scripts I knocked up involving rapidshare and wget...
Why do we REALLY need a server?
To watch South Park episodes whilst waiting for the cheese toastie maker to warm up whilst very drunk at 4am of course!

fedex1993
January 11th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Well i use my server which is still in the process ofswitching over to red hat linux but need to save up some money for red hat but i use my server for php testing which i am learning compiling long c programs on that computer but besides that i think everyone needs a home base server.

CameronCalver
January 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
thats the way

isecore
January 13th, 2008, 11:40 PM
a question to all of you that host files/websevers on the internet. what do you use for an internet connection? do you use your home connection, or a dedicated line or what?

Home connection, but I have a very, very good ISP. No traffic limits, no fuss whatsoever, 100/100 hookup and up to five real, live IP-adresses direct out to the 'net. Wonderful connection, has rarely failed me in the last five years.

I serve up maybe 2-4 gigabytes of traffic per 24 hours (a musician friend of mine hosts his music on my machine) and it runs smooth as peach.

dada1958
January 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
I got this one as a gift yesterday, it's on my work at this moment, I have to figure out what CPU is in it. It has 2 hot swapable 36 GB SCSI hard disks in a RAID 1 configuration and 1 GB of RAM.

Sunnz
January 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
I got this one as a gift yesterday, it's on my work at this moment, I have to figure out what CPU is in it. It has 2 hot swapable 36 GB SCSI hard disks in a RAID 1 configuration and 1 GB of RAM.

Nice, when you got Linux installed just do cat /proc/cpuinfo and if you like, /proc/meminfo. :popcorn:

rustybronco
January 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d44/rustybronco/PICT2168.jpg

iPower
January 21st, 2008, 06:27 PM
my server is dead (bad caps)

dada1958
January 23rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Nice, when you got Linux installed just do cat /proc/cpuinfo and if you like, /proc/meminfo. :popcorn:
Today I had the time to spend half an hour with the machine. A Novell Enterprise Server is installed on it but that brought me nowhere, not even an usable terminal.
So I booted from a Xubuntu Live-CD and after a lshw i found out that the CPU was an Intel P4 @ 2 GHz.
It sounded like a decent vacuum cleaner so I do have certain concerns about its power consumption.
Nevertheless I'm going to play with it, a fresh install of Ubuntu-Server 6.06-2 seems to be a very good starting point to me. The Raid 1 thing is going to be the new challenge :)

regomodo
January 23rd, 2008, 02:18 AM
got 1 box running under the staircase

sempron 3100+
1.75GB pc3200
20GB WD

Windows XP pro

All it does is running finite-element simulations. Nothing else

CameronCalver
January 23rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
got 1 box running under the staircase

sempron 3100+
1.75GB pc3200
20GB WD

Windows XP pro

All it does is running finite-element simulations. Nothing else

finite - element simulations ?

regomodo
January 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM
finite - element simulations ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_analysis

they take a long time for a small block of foam of a few hundred thousand nodes. i.e. days

starfry
January 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
My server

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/_CRAY1.GIF

:lolflag:

isecore
January 23rd, 2008, 05:22 PM
It sounded like a decent vacuum cleaner so I do have certain concerns about its power consumption.

You do know that noise is a poor indicator of power-consumption? ;)

CameronCalver
January 25th, 2008, 03:24 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite_element_analysis

they take a long time for a small block of foam of a few hundred thousand nodes. i.e. days
yes thats what is it but what do u use it for?

regomodo
January 25th, 2008, 03:37 AM
yes thats what is it but what do u use it for?

i don't use it for anything. i gave the box to 2 of my housemates for their 4th year masters study.

They are researching into fea of auxetic foams but can't use the unix clusters/supercomputer until they can prove they can do it on a normal computer. Unfortunately the uni's comp's available only have 512MB of ram and a very limited drive space (read that it's impossible to do fea). Combine this with the fact that that the mri (?) scanner technician did a very bad job of the foam and cannot get another scan done leads to suggest that my housmates are in a bit of a pickle. Plus, they don't have any auxetic foams as the uni won't supply any.

Ahhh. I love my uni. Probably the only uni to have a head of electrical engineering that hasn't got a clue (experience or degree) in electrical engineering and only has one electrical staff available (part-time). Wonderful. I'm glad i paid £20,000 for this. Plus it's probably only the uni to buy hundreds of chairs which won't fit under desks already in the rooms (effin genius decision).

If you want to know. It's the Exeter University School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics Department, UK. They merged maths into an already underfunded (crowded and understaffed {quality, due to redundancy}) Computing and Engineering department.
www.secam.ex.ac.uk don't go for the elec

Sorry, rant over.

CameronCalver
January 25th, 2008, 06:03 AM
haahha fair enuff settle down lol

isecore
January 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Here's an update of my server. Recently I bought a new case for my desktop, and thus the server would be upgraded to that one. It's the same type of case, an Aopen HX08 - albeit of a newer revision with some improvements.

The biggest difference though is that this one isn't falling apart from being so heavily modified. This one actually is really nice for a server - loads of space, and with my added cooling in the side it's not only very quiet but also very cool inside. CPU temp is around 28 degrees, not bad!

Plus, it doesn't have crap scrawled all over it. I also added another 512 megs of RAM to keep it happy, and moved it to a less trafficked location in the apartment - people were bumping into it and stuff. The keyboard and TFT will be removed once I verify that it's running stable.

Otherwise, like I said, it's the same computer as in my first post here.

http://www.isecore.net/newservercase.jpg

koenn
January 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
here's my collection of servers
http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom//upub/pics/datacenter6.jpg
upper right : caching : dns cache & forward, apt-proxy, web proxy
middle : files : web, smb, nfs, ...
lleft (behind the monitor): vm : runs vmware server with several guests
lower left : router/firewall

not all of them will boot without monitor and keyboard, so I keep a monitor and a keybord in the neighborhood ...

songshu
July 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3321/fetchphpjz0.th.jpg (http://img366.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fetchphpjz0.jpg)

have 6 drives here, 2 x 1GB in a RAID1 and 4 x 500GB in a RAID10

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9517/fetch2phpgb2.th.jpg (http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fetch2phpgb2.jpg)

and here's the 4 x 2GB RAM and the Quad 6600 G0.

running in seperate Vservers:
apt-cacher
samba
rsnapshot backup server
ldap
dns server
mail server postfix dovecot roundcube
fax server
puppet server
zimbra
proxy server
NX server
and several web servers

CameronCalver
July 20th, 2008, 12:16 AM
nice lets start this thread back up again shall we

dracule
July 20th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Ok now, this is one pretty advanced server:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3748/img0039oe4.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0039oe4.jpg)

when i pulled it out to take a picture i had to unplug it and the video card wiggled loose. normally it is under that cabinet.

I just hope it doesnt catch on fire :P

EDIT. isnt my gaming/reading chair simply grand?

isecore
July 20th, 2008, 03:37 AM
isnt my gaming/reading chair simply grand?

Oh yes, extremely exquisite! :)

myusername
July 20th, 2008, 04:05 AM
i have been thinking of making a server...i just have no clue for what yet

stmiller
July 20th, 2008, 06:33 AM
http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08290/pii02810.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs129&d=08290&f=pii02810.jpg)

Pentium II 400Mhz/320MB ram
Running Debian Etch
2x160GB drives in RAID 1

This is an ancient Gateway 'mini-tower' from 1999. No fan on the CPU. This thing is silent!

Going to slap a slot I pentium III cpu in there soon. Thinking of going with Ubuntu server also...

D-EJ915
July 21st, 2008, 03:40 AM
I put up a systems page on my site http://dej915.darktech.org:777/systems.html

sunbox hosts the web site (and is my main computer)

adamogardner
July 21st, 2008, 03:51 AM
hi, I use mine for big house parties

Rustafur
July 22nd, 2008, 02:27 AM
Ok now, this is one pretty advanced server:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3748/img0039oe4.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0039oe4.jpg)

when i pulled it out to take a picture i had to unplug it and the video card wiggled loose. normally it is under that cabinet.

I just hope it doesnt catch on fire :P

EDIT. isnt my gaming/reading chair simply grand?

Best. Case. Evar!!!11

I noticed the Darwin book, has your server evolved into a more eco-friendly disposable form of cardboard from steel? Bravo!

ghindo
July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
For those with GUI-less servers: how do you do things like monitor CPU temperature, assess free disk space, bring up processor information, etc.? I just set up a server (pictures later), and am still new to this whole "no GUI" thing. :p

F1y3r3
July 22nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
For those with GUI-less servers: how do you do things like monitor CPU temperature, assess free disk space, bring up processor information, etc.? I just set up a server (pictures later), and am still new to this whole "no GUI" thing. :plm_sensors for CPU temperature, df -h for disk space and cat /proc/cpuinfo for CPU info.

songshu
July 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
For those with GUI-less servers: how do you do things like monitor CPU temperature, assess free disk space, bring up processor information, etc.? I just set up a server (pictures later), and am still new to this whole "no GUI" thing. :p

also
hddtemp for the temperature of your hard disk.

htop will give you a nice overview of cpu and ram usage

OttifantSir
July 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
After seeing some of what is out there that normal people use (I thought many of the setups I've seen so far only belonged in dedicated computer centers at large corporations), I've been dialed down a notch.

Anyways, here is the setup in my bedroom (links to Flickr):

Overview (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8913510@N02/2713694299/)
Printers (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8913510@N02/2713693647/in/photostream/)
Spare Parts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8913510@N02/2713692959/in/photostream/)
Desktop (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8913510@N02/2713692369/in/photostream/)
Server (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8913510@N02/2714503696/in/photostream/)

Specs: 21" CRT, 15" LCD
Canon Pixma MP520 all-in-one inkjet
OKI B4350 b/w laser
A few drives and other loose change
Desktop: P3 1.23 GHZ
512 MB RAM
DVD-burner
floppy
2 USB1.1
40 GB HDD
10/100 Ethernet

Server: Pentium D2C 3GHz
3GB RAM
DVD-RAM
9 USB2
3.25 TB (not TiB)
Gigabit Ethernet

The desktop is the one machine I don't mess around with. I keep it for online banking and purchasing, reading e-mail and office work. The server still has a few glitches, but mostly work like it should. I also have a ThermalTake Lanbox Lite with Pentium D2C 2.67GHz, 2GB RAM, DVD+RW, 6 USB2, 1TB (not TiB), Gigabit Ethernet, Cinergy TerraTec C PCI DVB-C, HIS Radeon PowerColor 2400 256MB and Gyration Go 2.4 Compact sitting in my living room.

Add a Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1750), and that's all the machines I have at the present. I have a case from a Dell PowerEdge 500SC that will soon be operational again too, but that's for another day and another time.

All this setup really do at the moment is host all my movies, TV-shows, music, pictures and documents. All are connected to the server with NFS, so even the desktop thinks it has apx 3 TB of diskspace (3 1TB WD Caviar GP in LVM on the server)

My dream is to have connectivity all throughout my apartment and to (sometime) set up a VPN-connection so that my family and select friends may use my "database" of movies, shows and music, and I can "take it with me" wherever I go that has a broadband connection.

All of this is running Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop. (Couldn't figure out the Server edition)

billgoldberg
July 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I don't have a pc only to play server.

I run a ssh server and upnp server on my desktop (PB iMedia 5020, Pentium D 2.4ghz, 1gig ram, ...) and a ssh server on my laptop.

I'm however thinking about using my desktop as a server when I buy a new pc in a few months.

Delever
July 29th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I was surprised by ridiculous power of new PC I bought. So much, actually, that I turned off other boxes ASAP. Finally, no noise (the first PC when I actually payed attention to level of noise before, well, buying). Parts chosen carefully with linux in mind. New one is silent and deadly, and on linux, it's the way to go :)

New: Core 2 Duo 2x3GHz with 4GB RAM
Old ones: Athlon XP 2000+ 256MB RAM, Pentium II 450MHz 416MB RAM

I would like to have another such box for server, but for now, my desktop is my server.

artir
July 29th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Why do you need a server @ home. Web hosting is not very expensive.

isecore
July 29th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Munin is a quite handy tool to monitor servers. Outputs results from various things in nice graphs you can view with a web-browser.

Webmin is another handy thing to administer a server. Provides a nice web-interface for most things. Very powerful! Be careful about allowing access to it.

billgoldberg
July 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM

A server can be more than that.

I doubt many people host their own website.

It can be used for file sharing, streaming media, ... to other computers in the local network or the world.

isecore
July 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM

One word: control.

No one can tell me what I can or cannot do with my server. Sure, hosting is "cheap" provided you put up with some lame shared hosting where you're severely limited by what the provider decides you need.

I can setup as many databases and domains as I want, limited only by CPU and memory. Both of those are very cheap today. I can host my friends sites, I can host email.

And that's the second thing, there's no limit to what I do with it. Sure, I can host websites. I can host an FTP, an image-upload. Whatever happens to be my hearts desire. But I can also setup a local SAMBA-share, manage network sharing - whatever I need.

Delever
July 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Development, giving others to test, changing anything easily, total control anytime, one person to blame for failures.

regomodo
July 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
`

wrtpeeps
July 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
One word: control.

No one can tell me what I can or cannot do with my server. Sure, hosting is "cheap" provided you put up with some lame shared hosting where you're severely limited by what the provider decides you need.

I can setup as many databases and domains as I want, limited only by CPU and memory. Both of those are very cheap today. I can host my friends sites, I can host email.

And that's the second thing, there's no limit to what I do with it. Sure, I can host websites. I can host an FTP, an image-upload. Whatever happens to be my hearts desire. But I can also setup a local SAMBA-share, manage network sharing - whatever I need.

But I bet you run it on a crappy home dsl connection, and so, it's only good for tiny websites / accessing it from a LAN.

ghindo
July 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Why do you need a server @ home. Web hosting is not very expensive.Hey, it can be fun! :)

klange
July 30th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I doubt many people host their own website.
This site (http://oasis-games.com) runs on an Ubuntu (Desktop!) box a foot to my right.

Because it is. I have 20GB of Email space, unlimited MySQL databases, 20GB of web space, and all the bandwidth my non-limiting ISP can give me. This would cost boatloads if I had purchased it. Plus, all the other services running on my box, like my printing server, custom-built instant messaging server, and all sorts of other goodies. All while running a Hardy desktop with C-F.

But I bet you run it on a crappy home dsl connection, and so, it's only good for tiny websites / accessing it from a LAN.
I've had people utterly bewildered at the speed of my site who refuse to believe it's running on a basic consumer high speed package.

I haven't posted a pic of my server in a while... I'll have to do that when I finally take reasonably good pics of my entire setup.

AndyCooll
July 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I don't use mine for web hosting. I have two NSLU2's, one is a file server, streams music, is a print server and runs rtorrent. The other is a backup server.

24 hour/365 days a year easy access to all my files for free ...not just cheap ...but free! And it's mine, I control what I can and cannot do, I'm answerable to no-one. It's capable of much more of course, but the above is enough for me at the moment.

Best thing I ever did was set up my own server.

:cool:

Joeb454
July 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM

It's more fun to do it at home. And possibly cheaper :)

beercz
July 30th, 2008, 11:22 AM
File sharing over my LAN and the internet to authorized persons (extended family/friends)
Centralized backups for my 4 LAN clients
Centralize printing for all my 4 LAN clients
Website testing before publishing
VPN from my office/anywhere to my home LAN

Seem like pretty good reasons for me, and free too! Even the server hardware was free to me (oldish PCs no longer being used at the office)

btw Server runs Debian etch

artir
July 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
mmmm. (/me is looking for computer near him) Old laptop found.... I will use it as a mobile server (WTF!).

Joeb454
July 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Actually a friend of mine installed a server onto his old laptop (the battery was dead, so it's constantly on AC). He tried Windows Server 2008 I believe. It came up with Mobile Options too ;)

OttifantSir
July 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Web hosting means giving control over your content to someone else.

With my content, numbering in at about 2.5TB, uploading that to a web hosting service would take around a month JUST to upload, if I could afford to pay indefinitely for that amount of space on a web host. Most web hosting services I have seen also have a datalimiter, requiring you to pay more the more content and traffic you have. And when I would want to access it, it would require connecting to some website and download it AGAIN. And what would happen if I were to forget to pay? Or if I couldn't afford to pay? My content would be wiped.

For a family it makes even more sense. You spend the big money on ONE machine that everyone can access, and purchase cheap machines to run as thin-/fat-clients. You can actually save money by using a server, giving each member of a family their own computer where they can do things for themselves, all the while ensuring that whatever content you have is safe should you FUBAR.

Rhubarb
July 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
This is my server.

Crusoe 800MHz laptop, with 256MB RAM, and a broken screen.
Normally the lid is closed, it's a nice low-power server.

It serves:
apache web
apt-cacher
eyeos (PHP based portable desktop)
murmur (mumble voip gaming)
mySQL
sauerbraten (FPS game)
ssh
torrent-flux (for leeching Linux distros and music from Jamendo)
... and any other server stuff I care to be fiddling with at the time.

artir
July 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
This is my server.

Crusoe 800MHz laptop, with 256MB RAM, and a broken screen.
Normally the lid is closed, it's a nice low-power server.

It serves:
apache web
apt-cacher
eyeos (PHP based portable desktop)
murmur (mumble voip gaming)
mySQL
sauerbraten (FPS game)
ssh
torrent-flux (for leeching Linux distros and music from Jamendo)
... and any other server stuff I care to be fiddling with at the time.

And it doesn't overheat?

Rhubarb
July 31st, 2008, 04:26 PM
And it doesn't overheat?
No, it doesn't over-heat at all.
It's doesn't get that many demanding jobs to do, and it's not a fast laptop (by todays laptops), and it's running Ubuntu 8.04 server, so no GUI for it to load up.
You can barely hear it when it's on too, it must have a tiny little low RPM fan in it somewhere.

But, even with all that it runs very quick. I'm actually quite happy that I broke the screen (by accident), because it lead me to try out Ubuntu server on it.

ghindo
July 31st, 2008, 10:34 PM
I bought a desktop for cheap last year, but eventually came to the realization that I had no idea what to do with it. I loaded up Ubuntu Server 8.04 on it earlier this summer and have been tinkering with it on and off. Here's what the hardware looks like:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+, running at about 2 GHz.
Hard drive: 200 GB
RAM: 940 MB

It's currently a NAS and torrent slave that I ssh into. I use htop and lm-sensors to monitor it. I tried to get Apache set up and configured, but haven't been successful so far. I'd like to find more ways to make it useful, but am still kinda new to this whole server thing.

isecore
August 1st, 2008, 12:07 AM

Sure, I run it on a "crappy home dsl" connection. Just so happens my connection is an unlimited 100/100mbps LAN-connection.

irv
August 1st, 2008, 02:50 AM
My wife makes me keep my server in the furnace room, but that alright with me. It is the best dog house I could find. Here is a photo:
My Internet speed is 12,361 kbps Download speed and 2,055 kbps upload speed.The best part, it only cost me $44 per month. Sweet mama:-\"
http://wabasha-server.net/Irvs-server-small.jpeg

ghindo
August 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM
My Internet speed is 12,361 kbps Download speed and 2,055 kbps upload speed.The best part, it only cost me $44 per month. Sweet mama:-\"Good GOD I want to have your ISP. Where do you live and who is your ISP? What do you run on your server?

isecore
August 1st, 2008, 12:31 PM
My wife makes me keep my server in the furnace room, but that alright with me. It is the best dog house I could find. Here is a photo:
My Internet speed is 12,361 kbps Download speed and 2,055 kbps upload speed.The best part, it only cost me $44 per month. Sweet mama:-\"

You probably have a similar hookup to me. I'm on 100/100 and get about 12MB/sec (megabytes, not megabits) download. I get the same in upload.

Pay roughly US$35 per month for it. Quite nice :)

irv
August 1st, 2008, 12:58 PM
Good GOD I want to have your ISP. Where do you live and who is your ISP? What do you run on your server?
I am in a very small town 2500. Back in the 80's a small company started up in Winona MN (35 miles from me) call Hiawatha Broad Band, now called HBCI. It started with dial-up, but within the last couple of years they installed fiber in our small town and can now offer TV, Phone, and Internet all on this fiber. Normal the Internet speed is 3MB for $33 if you have all 3 service. I told them I would pay the extra ten bucks for 4MB, but they told me they could only give me 5MB for that price, so I took it.About 6 months to a year ago I started checking my speeds, and it has been going up until it is where it is now. I don't know what happen, but I am not complaining.
I have a web server, but I only use it for my files I want to share with the world. I do not host webpages. I also have a web business but I use a hosting services who service up the pages. When I am travel around, I can get to all my files on this server if I need something. Even when I was in Africa and Europe I could get to them.

irv
August 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM
You probably have a similar hookup to me. I'm on 100/100 and get about 12MB/sec (megabytes, not megabits) download. I get the same in upload.

Pay roughly US$35 per month for it. Quite nice :)

Who do you have for a ISP? And where are you Located?

Joeb454
August 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
That's the joy of home servers.

Though mine is headless :) It has a power cable & ethernet cable plugged in, that's it ;)

I also have the same mouse as you (it was a spare, I've just given it to my brother).

Rhubarb
August 5th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Hoooooooray!
I just got Squid (web proxy) installed on my broken-laptop server.
Works really well too.
Sure, it's mostly useless on my small home LAN setup here.

Now, I wonder what other services I can install on it :D
Rhubarb goes off to explore other packages on the Ubuntu repositories ...
oooh, just discovered bind9, I could have my own DNS server :D ...to be continued...

gingernuke
August 8th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Just finished installing Ubuntu server 8.04 on a dog eared old Compaq P3 800 Mhz

Its just for play as I intend to hang some W2k3 boxes off the same network and play with the Veritas clustering software I am using at work. Besides I need a nice stable sandpit environment for testing some VMWare stuff and I dont want to worry about DHCP DNS etc on the test boxes so a reliable Linux box should fit the bill nicely. I have a nice Cisco 2950 arriving next week to connect everything up.

In answer to everyone who says 'what do you use a server at home for...'

I use mine to gain experience relevant to the work I am doing without playing around on corporate networks. It means I am better at my job and can get a better contracting rate :)

markp1989
August 8th, 2008, 10:02 PM
currently my server is out of action :( need to get a new fan for the cpu

specs: 1ghz athlon 1gb ram 20gb ide , 160gb ide (soon to be replaced with 500gb sata)

ghindo
August 8th, 2008, 10:35 PM
currently my server is out of action :( need to get a new fan for the cpu

specs: 1ghz athlon 1gb ram 20gb ide , 160gb ide (soon to be replaced with 500gb sata)What program do you use for your DAAP server?

markp1989
August 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
What program do you use for your DAAP server?

i use firefly (mt-daapd) for info look here
http://sublimesoftware.blogspot.com/2007/08/firefly-aka-mt-daapd.html

isecore
August 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Who do you have for a ISP? And where are you Located?

I live in Sweden, my ISP is called "Bredbandsbolaget" which literally translates to "The Broadband Company" :)

kustomjs
August 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I got a server at home it does my hosting for jbodyconnection.com and cbcperformance.com and its running Ubuntu 8.04 with 512mb memory and 40 gb hard drive and AMD processor!!! and I got FTTH and here is my download speed:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/xtremesunfire/speed2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/xtremesunfire/speedtest-1.jpg

markp1989
August 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM
server is back running now, heat sink and fan arrived today:

Specs:

CPU: 1ghz athlon
mem: 1gb
hdd: 20gb ide
500gb sata

running headless

used as torrent slave, NFS server, and DAAP server

regomodo
August 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM
#

regomodo
August 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
#

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM

There was a problem at my job that the software developers identified as as lack of communication. Someone suggested a message board to enable cross development team communication. I listened to the suggestion, and tried it out by installing a LAMP stack on one of my computers at home. I told my family about the experiment. They began setting up forums, blogs, PMing each other, and so on. I decided to add a print server, file server, streaming audio server, etc.

It actually made it easier to maintain my network of family computers on my LAN running Windows XP, Vista, and Ubuntu.

It is free, completely private, and I don't have to worry about my children putting a copyrighted music files on the server. It is not exposed to the Internet.

irv
August 17th, 2008, 01:12 PM
You should use Gimp crop and then insert as a thumbnail like this.
The last one was my cropped image.

I down sized your images just for this demo. You can make them any size you want but post them as thumbnails.

ilovelinux33467
August 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
my server has 1280 mb ram 80 gb hdd and p4 2.8 ghz

regomodo
August 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
#

go_beep_yourself
August 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM
What do you guys think?

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5435/hpim1261sd2.jpg

RedPandaFox
August 20th, 2008, 05:32 AM
What do you guys think?

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5435/hpim1261sd2.jpg

Overkill with size much?

fedex1993
August 20th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Here are both of my servers.
http://img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/8/19/t_0820080037m_68e5a6a.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/8/19/f_0820080037m_68e5a6a.jpg&srv=img27)
^^That was my first server that i started using. Old dell had 370gb of storage but i got a new server for free from a friend that had a old crappy slow hard drive so we smashed the old small slow one and pulled one out of this one to put in the new one. Currently had ubuntu installed untill i rewrote the partions. Going to be file server, nx server, packet cacher and maybe some music here and there. Samba or sshfs or nfs.

http://img34.picoodle.com/data/img34/3/8/19/t_0820080036am_d130624.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/8/19/f_0820080036am_d130624.jpg&srv=img34)
Shes buitful isnt she? Lol p4 2.50 ghz 256 ram. Pretty old but a nice 2.5 ghz processor in it single core. Seeing if i can overclock it more. Going to be F@H or a second file server depends on the speed etc.

Planning on buying another cheapy from de)) to use as one small openbsd box.

regomodo
August 20th, 2008, 12:25 PM
#

trash
September 4th, 2008, 12:09 AM

People also change or upgrade their main machine, like me i've had 4 different machines in the past couple of years... it would drive me mad if i had to reconfigure everything again.

Now I have my first server(in my sig.) and my next machine will be a breeze to config:)

trash
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 AM
here are two of my workhorses at home:

I love how your desk is so scary clean and proper and then stacks of paper and boxes beside it:lolflag:

markp1989
September 22nd, 2008, 07:55 PM
here is the server that i setup today, just replaced the server i had that died, CPU burned out (fan stoped working, and i dont check the comp that often, so i dont know how long it wasnt working before i noticed)
replaced it and always get kernel panics every boot, even if i boot from a live cd, so assume either the new CPU is bad, or the heat form the one that died damaged something else

CPU:660mhz P3
RAM:380mb
IDE:20gb
Sata:500gb

mark@torrentslave:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 664.445
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips : 1330.07
clflush size : 32

running as a torrent slave and a NFS server

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg102/markp1989/cimg3668.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg102/markp1989/cimg3667.jpg

cost:
£12 for the pc it self
£35 for 500gb drive

ghindo
September 22nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
here is the server that i setup today, just replaced the server i had that died, CPU burned out (fan stoped working, and i dont check the comp that often, so i dont know how long it wasnt working before i noticed)
replaced it and always get kernel panics every boot, even if i boot from a live cd, so assume either the new CPU is bad, or the heat form the one that died damaged something else

CPU:660mhz P3
RAM:380mb
IDE:20gb
Sata:500gb

running as a torrent slave and a NFS server

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg102/markp1989/cimg3668.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg102/markp1989/cimg3667.jpg

cost:
£12 for the pc it self
£35 for 500gb driveHow did you set up your NFS server?

graabein
September 22nd, 2008, 10:38 PM
Boring but true. Rescued it from being canned at work and put a 500 GB disc in it. Runs pretty quiet also. Plan to use it as a file server for media and torrent slave.
http://www.pacificgeek.com/productimages/xl/D51S-SFF-4B.jpg

markp1989
September 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
How did you set up your NFS server?

look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

whitegourd
March 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Just finished it this past weekend. I've always wanted to hang my server on the wall since y2k.

isecore
March 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Just finished it this past weekend. I've always wanted to hang my server on the wall since y2k.

That's so hot. Gets me all worked up just looking at it. I think I'm gonna hang my 25+ kg server on the wall now.

Helios1276
March 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
younger brother gets my old computers, so I picked up one of these out of curiosity (Qnap TS-109 pro II). Use it for

a) FTP server
b) Twonkymedia server (laptops, xbox 360)
c)Back up for all the comps in the house.
d) Going to start building some sites but havent the time yet.

Also need to find the time to put Debian on it :(

Dragonbite
March 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM
These look cool! Mine's pretty boring so far, but I'll have to see about getting a shot.

Dragonbite
March 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Imagine cooling is pretty easy with that setup! Just don't be looking at it while you're drinking soda and somebody tells you a good joke! Spewing soda all over it will mess it up reeeeeal fast!

whitegourd
March 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Imagine cooling is pretty easy with that setup! Just don't be looking at it while you're drinking soda and somebody tells you a good joke! Spewing soda all over it will mess it up reeeeeal fast!

Haha. I sure hope that won't happen! I tried adding a fanless heatsink from a D201GLY2 board (it got zapped last year using the wrong power supply brick). The heat from the northbridge went up to 61c w/ load. So for now the only moving parts are the northbridge heatsink fan and the hard drive.

This D945GCLF board, 1GB memory, and the PICO PSU 90, were the only things I needed to get the little project completed, the rest I had laying around the house. I'm so happy that it fits on a regular clipboard, saves a lot of space and is pretty silent.

Kareeser
March 18th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yummy.

IBM Netvista 20U from waaaay back when...

How far back when?

Back when Pentium 4's weren't overheating on stock cooling :)

T'is a web/file/wiki server.

basketcase
March 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM

I want to do that. I'm not sure if I have a pic of my server.

My server is just the standard Pico ITX from Via with 8.04.

Blice
March 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM
This is a pretty old picture.. First batch of servers I ever got. Eight in the picture there, there was 15 total in that batch.

In my room while I did the initial OS installs etc., now safely in the datacenter.

isecore
March 18th, 2009, 11:36 PM
This is a pretty old picture.. First batch of servers I ever got. Eight in the picture there, there was 15 total in that batch.

In my room while I did the initial OS installs etc., now safely in the datacenter.

Few things are as sexy as a stack of nice rackmounted hardware.

mamamia88
March 18th, 2009, 11:46 PM
can i ask a question whats the point having a home server?

Mehall
March 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM

This point has been raised multiple times.

Print Server
Web Server (either for hosting your site, or intranet hosting)
File Sharing
Firewall
Messing about with things-server
SSH server to access home from outside

there are more.

basketcase
March 19th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I tunnel RDP over SSH through my Ubuntu box so I have a secure connection to my home PC when I'm not at home.

Dragonbite
March 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Mine is currently a file server and web server.

The file server portion is so I can backup my files onto the server, as well as access it from either the laptop or the desktop while at home.

the web server is for fun :) Actually I am exploring Drupal and Wordpress for a potential business dealings with a friend.

Kareeser
March 19th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Free (minus the cost of electricity).

You also get physical access to the machine, which is handy at times.

ghindo
March 19th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Oh, I missed this thread.

Maybe this summer I'll get my server back up and running, with Debian Lenny.

sujoy
March 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM
love this thread. :D

keep 'em coming guys. i dont have a server yet, but i plan on setting one up when i earn enough to buy one ;)

isecore
March 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM

In my case:

* Web-hosting
* FTP Server
* Email
* DNS
* XMPP (aka Jabber) IM-server
* Local filestorage through Samba

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM

Learning something new.

Storage server,
mail server,
web server,
message board,
virtualization,
anything to keep the old brain active.

mamamia88
March 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM
i guess thats cool just not for me only have 2 machines and a simple 2.5" portable hd would serve my purposes better

iaculallad
March 20th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Here are my servers. Primarily, I use them for:

- Web Hosting/SSH Server = Installed with Ubuntu Server 7.10 (Apache/MySQL/PHP)
- FTP Server/Storage = Installed with Ubuntu Server 8.04 (ProFTPd)
- DNS Server
- Firewall/Router = Smoothwall

- Experimentation/Place for learning

All my servers have the same following specification (Even my Smoothwall PC :D):

Intel P4 3.0Ghz/80GB SATA HDD/1GB RAM

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/iamubuntu/DSC00880.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/iamubuntu/DSC00881.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/iamubuntu/DSC00882.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu126/iamubuntu/DSC00883.jpg

And the MSI netbook, loaded with gOS as it looks good with the 10" screen.

irv
March 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM

keep 'em coming guys. i dont have a server yet, but i plan on setting one up when i earn enough to buy one ;)

You don't need much money to set up a server, just find and older PC; and there are plenty around, and start playing around and you will learn a lot. That's how I started and now I worked my way up to a faster and bigger box. You will have fun doing it too. Learning is fun. And especially Ubuntu Linux.

isecore
March 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM

The big cost is electricity - at least if you're gonna run it 24/7 as a dedicated server. I think the money I've spent on hardware is a fraction of what I've paid for power since 2003 when I launched it.

In fact, when I started the machine was a lowly Pentium 150 Mhz. It's just grown over the years. But again - electricity has been by far the biggest cost for me.

ghindo
March 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The big cost is electricity - at least if you're gonna run it 24/7 as a dedicated server. I think the money I've spent on hardware is a fraction of what I've paid for power since 2003 when I launched it.

In fact, when I started the machine was a lowly Pentium 150 Mhz. It's just grown over the years. But again - electricity has been by far the biggest cost for me.There are a lot of ways you can work around that, though, undervolting your server, running lightweight applications, etc.

Dragonbite
March 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
There are a lot of ways you can work around that, though, undervolting your server, running lightweight applications, etc.

Or getting a new system with a low power chip and virtualize like crazy (VMWare ESXi?) so you only have that one unless you need the more capable server, then maybe a second one.

isecore
March 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM
There are a lot of ways you can work around that, though, undervolting your server, running lightweight applications, etc.

Although technically that's alleviating it, not working around it. Unless you slap up your own solar/wind-power on the roof :)

I can't do this. I host seven domains, complete with PHP, MySQL and various other stuff. They're all fairly well-visited. SpamAssassin sorts through maybe 30k spam-email per day.

I simply can't handle this on a lower-end processor than I already run (Sempron 2500+) and I've already removed a majority of the drives in the machine to make it less power-hungry (went from fifteen drives to four).

So, it's all relative :)

ubersolid
March 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Dell Optiplex 240Gx or something.
512Mb ram 1,5Ghz pentium 4.
+ 250GB disk.
Ubuntu Server 8.10.
Serving Samba, SSH, mt-daap.

uptime:

uprecords
# Uptime | System Boot up
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
-> 1 35 days, 02:00:20 | Linux 2.6.27-11-server Fri Feb 13 18:22:03 2009
----------------------------+---------------------------------------------------
NewRec 35 days, 02:00:19 | since Fri Feb 13 18:22:03 2009

sujoy
March 23rd, 2009, 09:39 AM
You don't need much money to set up a server, just find and older PC; and there are plenty around, and start playing around and you will learn a lot. That's how I started and now I worked my way up to a faster and bigger box. You will have fun doing it too. Learning is fun. And especially Ubuntu Linux.

yes, as for learning, well i do have apache running for a local wiki, and a ftp server that i start occasionaly to transfar files to my laptop.

actually the bandwidth is more of a constraint here, cause i have a limited plan, and unlimited ones with enough b/w to run a website is too costly as of now. ;)

In fact, when I started the machine was a lowly Pentium 150 Mhz. It's just grown over the years. But again - electricity has been by far the biggest cost for me.

yes electricity is definite a big factor. and here in india bandwidth too :(

eatont9999
March 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a few servers. I have a HP 5U dual PIII with 2.5GB RAM and a 6x18 RAID 5. It is mostly a VM server so I can play around with distros. It is running Ubuntu 8.04. This puppy stays in the basement because it is too loud and big for upstairs. I keep it off most of the time too. I recently setup a celeron 850 with 768MB RAM and 2x20GB. I plan to use it for web, VPN, and possibly DHCP and DNS, but I have had bad luck at setting those up. DNS confuses the heck out of me for some reason. I have a windows 2003 box with an Athlon 1.6GHz, 2GB and an 80GB and 250GB HDDs. I have DHCP and DNS running great on this, so it may stay.

bartos
March 23rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Top server is my previous server- Sun Colbalt Cube 3. Good little thing. Little noisy.
Bottom server is a Shuttle KPC-K45 $119 with a $60 E2200 chip and $20 1 gig memory. Threw in a spare 320 sata drive. Instant anything server.This is in the office across from bedroom and I don't hear it.
Running Mandriva Free 2009 as web, ssh, ftp ,email and media server.

http://thumbnails12.imagebam.com/3058/5e96cc30579222.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5e96cc30579222) http://thumbnails10.imagebam.com/3058/1258cf30579227.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/1258cf30579227)

isecore
March 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
DNS confuses the heck out of me for some reason.

Yeah. You, me and like 90% of the planet, mate. Setting up ones own DNS is tricky business, I finally caved in and simply paid DynDNS to manage it for me instead and give me a nice little neat newbie-webpanel to manage.

alex2399
March 24th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I don't have a server, but I would like to ask something.

Seeing most of these setups, the biggest scare for me is that it would catch fire some day, a failing and overheating fan due to blocking, melting of capacitors/transformers/coils/resistors in the PSU, all that dust just waiting to get burned.
Have personally witnessed seeing electronics go up in smoke, part because at a time it was my job working with electronics(FYI, fixing/calibrating them, not intentionally creating a ball of fire). But I have also seen household appliances dying with lots of smoke and burned circuit boards. One case I vividly remember was a computer monitor. One day a lot of smoke is coming out of it and quickly turned of. Then opened it up, and where there once probably was a transistor or voltage regulator now was a big hole in the circuit board, and burned all around. Wouldn't like to know what would have happened if I wasn't there at the moment. Have seen enough electric fireworks to make me weary of what bad design can cause.

So what do you do to minimize the risk of fire? Do you use a smoke alarm, sprinklers, do you tightly monitor temperatures/fans, clean regularly? If you can illustrate your fire-hazard minimizing techniques of your servers, pictures would be nice ;)

I myself clean the inner life of all aplliances regularly when they are out of warranty and avoid putting any appliance on standby so I turn almost everything off when I go to sleep, but since your servers are running probaly 24/7, do you ever think about these dangers?