PDA

View Full Version : M4a and .ogg MP3 Player..?

Turbo Audi
January 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Hey all, I need an "MP3" player that supports .ogg and .m4a. I can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

bonzodog
January 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Are you talking about a walkman style MP3 player or an application for Linux?

If you are talking about the Walkman style player, try Samsung's range of MP3 Players - they play everything, and they are seen in Linux as USB mass storage devices. The firmware isn't very fancy and doesn't appear to handle subdirectories, but they go upto 4Gb in size and are very good in My experience. I have recently realised that Samsung actually build some of the most reliable Tech available at the moment, and it always Just Works in Linux, Even my Samsung S400i phone works over bluetooth as a Mass Storage device. I have started replacing a lot of my household tech with Samsung Items. My computer monitor and TV are both Samsung.

Turbo Audi
January 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Ill check it out. Ya, im looking for a portable, like an iPod. My files are .m4a, .ogg and .mp3. Thanks.

Mathiasdm
January 8th, 2007, 07:50 PM
That might be annoying.
I've seen devices that can play m4a and devices that play ogg, but never one that plays both. Though it would be great if you could find one :p

Mateo
January 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
iaudio players play both (i think). and they actually make high end players, unlike samsung.

balance07
January 8th, 2007, 09:27 PM
i'm not POSITIVE, but i beleive rockbox will play (non-drm) m4a (aac) files. i have a cowon iaudio x5 running rockbox and its awesome. people with ipods are all "oh man, that looks nice"

so please buy an iaudio x5 and put rockbox on it. and stop using m4a. ogg vorbis is all u should need.

lyceum
January 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
i'm not POSITIVE, but i beleive rockbox will play (non-drm) m4a (aac) files. i have a cowon iaudio x5 running rockbox and its awesome. people with ipods are all "oh man, that looks nice"

so please buy an iaudio x5 and put rockbox on it. and stop using m4a. ogg vorbis is all u should need.

I remember reading the same over Christmas. I really wish someone would make a replacement program to "fix" your MP3 player into an Ogg player. <sigh> If only I could code in something other than HTML... someday, someday...

K.Mandla
January 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I just use XMMS with the mp4 and flac libraries, and that's my whole collection.

sudo aptitude install xmms xmms-flac xmms-mp4
:)

Turbo Audi
January 8th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I found SoundConverter, (which has been covered much on the forums) and found that I can convert all my .m4a and .ogg to mp3 very easily. If you see this thread I started I ran into a problem.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=334141

I just figure whatever .mp3 player I buy, I'll convert whatever files I want to take with me at the time because I do not plan on buying a 30gb iPod or anything like that. I do not want to spend the money so I can bring all 26gb of tunes with me.