January 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hmmmm!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6240479.stm

Mateo
January 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a nice development.

smoker
January 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
just another gimmick. maybe a 'must have' for the techies, but i can't see it being widely used.

beercz
January 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The first thing I thought of was from a safety aspect.

Microsoft doesn't exactly have a good track record for producing the most secure and stable software around.

Imagine you are driving your new Ford car using Microsoft's 'Sync' software and it crashes (the software that is). You, the driver, immediately wonder what has happened, swear at it and become distracted by pressing (hitting?) buttons and controls, and get increasingly stressed. All this going on whilst driving your car.

Accident waiting to happen?

M_the_C
January 8th, 2007, 06:54 PM
This gives that joke about 'closing all the windows, getting out and trying again' new meaning.

DarkN00b
January 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Oh yeah I can definitely see that.

DRIVER: Phone-- call mom.
SYNC: Crash
DRIVER: Stupid @#&*$ piece of crap!
SYNC : Blue screen. :)
DRIVER: AAARRRGG...!!! Smashes at dashboard with fist.
SYNC: .......
DRIVER: ...GGHHHH! Whoa! $#!t.
CAR: SCREECH! SWERVE! SMASH! BOOOOOM!

MICROSOFT: It ain't our fault...
------------------------------------------

And to think I actually liked Ford vehicles.

Mr Wrath
January 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
...if it freezes up, would you have to turn off the car and then restart?

Hmm, if the program freezes, will it stall the motor -- the electronics controlling the motor are somewhat sensitive with tweeks, and you know Micro$oft will have to make them in order to get everything working.

Can you imagine the new types of viruses...

Oh Ford, what have you done.

seuaniu
January 8th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I've read about this, and the software isn't going to be used to control any of the "driving" aspects of the car. Thank God.

It does, however remind me of a project that I've always wanted to start, but never had the funds:

Wouldn't it be cool to have a mythtv in your car? Coupled with a touchscreen and a friendly gps kit, you could do some seriously cool things on the road. I envision pulling into your driveway, and your home server syncing tv shows, podcasts, your music library, possibly even your calendar/contacts or driving data (gas mileage, miles driven, routes, etc).

Technically, it doesn't seem that hard to figure out. You can rsync just about anything, a mythtv frontend isn't all that hard to setup.. the db setup might be a bit odd... and there are low-powered small form-factor computers available everywhere that could fit under a seat or in the trunk.

M_the_C
January 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Would it not be more cost effective to keep a laptop or mini PC in the car?
You have to install a load of new parts into the cars design and you could most likely do more with a proper computer.