PDA

View Full Version : Any home brewers out there?

Robertjm
January 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to point out the possibility of one of the comercial homebrew software companies actually coming out with a NATIVE linux version!!!

Here's a link to a "petition" at their site:

http://www.beertools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2078&highlight=linux

Perhaps not so much of a petition and more like a beta candidate sign up. :-D

I've been using ProMash (under Parallels), but any possibility of a native linux app with lots of sophistication is something to consider, and at least support.

Right now they've got 61 people on the list, and they won't start talking about writing the alpha version until they get at least 100 people on it, so its going to be awhile yet.

If you're a homebrewer sign up! If you're not, it might not be a good idea to flood the list because if they start working on it, but they don't actually have 100 people to use it they might can the whole program.

Later,

Robert
NNY Brewing Company
(No, not Northern New York, No-Name-Yet)

Dragonbite
January 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Cool! Thanks for the Heads Up!

That reminds me, I've gotta start a batch for the spring now!

I'm probably on the wuss-side because I'm currently using MR. Beer for it (self-mixed syrups and stuff) but I hope to do more actual-brewing in the future).

azkehmm
January 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I produced 50 litres of applewine last year... or... it wasn't really wine... more like, apples, yeast and a truckload of sugar all mixed up and left in a nice warm basement for 4 months. It tasted like horse-urine and dieseloil, but made you **** drunk, so one of the succes criteria had been fulfilled. Does that make me a homebrewer? Oh well, I'll go and sign up.

woedend
January 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
id love to have a few gallons of that stuff azk...sounds like my kinda drink.

Robertjm
April 29th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Just went over to the Protool site to see how many names are needed for beta testing...NONE!!! Got to the 100 beta tests sometime this month.

And nearly 1/5th of them specified a preference for Ubuntu.

If you signed up for the beta program they will apparently be sending us an email in the future on how to participate.

Robert

freebeer
April 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
hmmm... missed this thread when it first came out.

Can't we just:

sudo apt-get stout

:)

machoo02
April 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Have you tried using QBrew (http://www.usermode.org/code.html) at all? Open-source, native homebrewing program...I haven't used it much as of yet, but I'm going to try to migrate files over from BeerSmith (which I have working fairly well through WINE).

Just tried my first all-grain batch yesterday. Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped...it was pretty much a comedy of errors all day, but a great learning experience.

freebeer
May 1st, 2007, 03:21 AM
Congrats on the fist all-grain attempt! I haven't made the plunge yet, myself, but I compiled my first program for Linux yesterday, so maybe there's hope for me yet in the all-grain field. :-)

tehbeermang
May 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
sudo apt-get stout

:)
Agreed. I'll add

sudo apt-get mead

as well. Mmmm Fermented honey. ;)

Have you tried using QBrew (http://www.usermode.org/code.html) at all? Open-source, native homebrewing program... bookmarked for later.

Slightly related note: is there a library or framework available that lets one's code communicate with the USB port? I have no idea where to begin here, though I have this crazy urge to monitor/control brewing/mash temps from a computer.

Maybe even make the monitor flash at me when it's time for a hop addition, should the recipe call for it.

Not that I have the time, but it would be pretty cool, IMO.

freebeer
May 1st, 2007, 11:10 PM
I've never tried a good homebrew mead. I don't know anyone who makes one around here. :(

Can't help you with the temperature control. The closest I get to what you want is a heat belt wrapped around my carboy which is monitored by a thermostat with a remote-sensing thermocouple. And even that is overkill. :D

tehbeermang
May 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Mead is easier than beer. The recipe I brew is 15lbs honey, 2tsp irish moss, 4tbl yeast nutrient, 2tbl acid blend, 2tsp gypsum with 5 us gallons filtered water. Boil water for five minutes, remove from heat, dissolve honey, bring back to a boil and add remaining ingredients. Boil 15 minutes, cool quickly, inoculate with yeast.

My current batch hasn't dropped the head yet, it's been 4.5 weeks, still 12 seconds between airlock bubbles.

I want to try a wild mead, where you do nothing but add honey to water and let the wild yeast do its thing. Then I can party like it's 1499.

freebeer
May 3rd, 2007, 03:13 AM
lol. I certainly don't mind the long fermentation periods of mead, but I'd like to try a decent one first to see if it's the kind of thing I like before I attempt to make my own.

tehbeermang
May 3rd, 2007, 06:43 AM
I haven't had any good commercial mead. I have some friends into medieval re-creation. They encouraged me to try make it.

I've made three batches, the first was dry and made a horrible hangover. Dried Red Star champagne yeast is something to stay away from with mead.

Second and third used a dried sweet wine yeast. It was super clean and oh so good.

This is my fourth batch, it's using a liquid culture of Wyeast sweet mead yeast. It smells a little bit estery, much like a London ale. Should be pretty smooth.