PDA

View Full Version : "Polls" as a separate section under Community Forum?

neoflight
January 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I was thinking,

if it is a good idea to have all the "polls" found in the community section as a separate one under 'forum community'?

i like polls and its interesting to see what people come up with.

all the "Do you ............" polls....:D

now its kinda included among other things...

plus, it would to nice to search the "polls" once inside that forum
what say mods? :-k

aysiu
January 8th, 2007, 07:14 AM
It's not ultimately a mod call but an admin call.

But here's my input: I don't think a separate polls section makes sense. Sometimes polls show up in random places (Feisty, FAQs, even Absolute Beginner). And the Ubuntu Cafe is sort of a random place anyway... most of the threads there that don't have polls are "do you..." or "what do you think..." threads anyway.

I do agree, though, that it'd be nice to have a search-for-polls feature in Advanced Search. Sometimes I don't remember the exact name of a thread, but I know it has a poll attached to it.

neoflight
January 8th, 2007, 07:33 AM
hmmm. i agree that there are polls in the "tech" sections...which are better left as they are rather than grouped.

thats y i was specifically mentioning about "forum community"... i like voting polls....the democratic blood in me advise me to vote but "keep quite now" and wait for input from others in the due course. if you watch closely, which i am sure you always do, you can see that the number of voters are far more than the number of responders in a given poll.

most people like to express their opinion in a rapid manner and wait for the result...like an election ... imagine every citizen gets a mike and be allowed to speak for as much as he/she wants to justify their choice? ;)

my point is, most of the time people follow the path of least resistance/effort ...
and a separate section helps better presentation, "easy access" and so better input...

for eg:
thread on emails clients, password visual feedback (which i ran into accidentally really late), does anyone actually play these games, etc... to name a few.
this in turn allows the author to specify the duration of the poll to a reasonably less number of days (prevent overeating the server space ?)

am i convincing on the merits of a separate section? :-D

neoflight
January 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM
admins? any thots?